Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 and AUM Modular DAW?

Comments

• If MultiTrack DAW only had MIDI clock, with song position support, it’d be a fantastic companion.

• edited July 2019

@wim said:
    If MultiTrack DAW only had MIDI clock, with song position support, it’d be a fantastic companion.

Yep. The only "audio-tracky" thing on iOS that can at least rudimentarily sync to MIDI (including song position) is Beatmaker 2, a 10 year old app.

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:
    If MultiTrack DAW only had MIDI clock, with song position support, it’d be a fantastic companion.

Yep. The only "audio-tracky" thing on iOS that can at least rudimentarily sync to MIDI (including song position) is Beatmaker 2, a 10 year old app.

I find that kind of baffling. Not that it's all that typical to slave a DAW, 99% of the time you don't do that but that there is no real solid sync'd audio recording outside of looper apps.

• @SevenSystems

RTFM 😅 I know. It’s part a point of laziness and also escape in me personally not reading manuals. I pick up my pad to make noises and lightly fuddle through so I can relax and not think, or read, just make the feels...

My bad. It’s not to much to ask to read a manual from a dev who one bothered or make one and who has made a great manual to a great app.

• Is it possible to trigger audio (e.g. loops) in AUM from Xequence? For example, if I use Tube AU to get a sample that I want looping, how would I integrate that process into Xequence? Thanks.

• edited July 2019

@audio_DT said:
    Is it possible to trigger audio (e.g. loops) in AUM from Xequence? For example, if I use Tube AU to get a sample that I want looping, how would I integrate that process into Xequence? Thanks.

Yes, you can use any sampler AU for that, one that comes to mind is AudioLayer.

It may even be possible with AUM's internal file player (it apparently can be triggered by MIDI notes) if you don't need a lot of control ... maybe others have more details :)

• @SevenSystems said:

@audio_DT said:
    Is it possible to trigger audio (e.g. loops) in AUM from Xequence? For example, if I use Tube AU to get a sample that I want looping, how would I integrate that process into Xequence? Thanks.

Good stuff, thanks. It's possible, then, to have the samples drop in and out as the track progresses, etc.? I'm not asking you to outline the process for me - I can suss it out myself, once I know it's possible. Thanks again, @SevenSystems.

• @audio_DT said:

@SevenSystems said:

@audio_DT said:

Good stuff, thanks. It's possible, then, to have the samples drop in and out as the track progresses, etc.? I'm not asking you to outline the process for me - I can suss it out myself, once I know it's possible. Thanks again, @SevenSystems.

Yes, you can use volume automation for that purpose.

• @SevenSystems said:

@audio_DT said:

@SevenSystems said:

@audio_DT said:

Excellent. Very simple, then. Cheers!

• @audio_DT said:

@SevenSystems said:

@audio_DT said:

@SevenSystems said:

@audio_DT said:

Excellent. Very simple, then. Cheers!

No problem!

• @gmslayton At 12:05 in the video, you selected a short portion of a Clip and unlinked it.

How did you do it? I think you have some ninja skillz in how you touch the screen, something can do very fast and keep hidden from us normal people.

• @GovernorSilver highlight a clip and click on the process button at the bottom left.

• @gmslayton said:
    @GovernorSilver highlight a clip and click on the process button at the bottom left.

Didn't work. Let me try to explain the problem again.

I loaded a MIDI file into Xequence, which resulted in several tracks being created, as expected.

The drum track is one long clip. In your video you touched a clip and magically grabbed only the last bar. Why can't I do that?

When I tap the Process button and tap Unlink like you did in the video, nothing happens. The clip is still the length of the entire track. I don't get the last bar of the track - and only the last bar! - selected like you did.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@GovernorSilver said:

@gmslayton said:
    @GovernorSilver highlight a clip and click on the process button at the bottom left.

I loaded a MIDI file into Xequence, which resulted in several tracks being created, as expected.

The drum track is one long clip. In your video you touched a clip and magically grabbed only the last bar. Why can't I do that?

When I tap the Process button and tap Unlink like you did in the video, nothing happens. The clip is still the length of the entire track. I don't get the last bar of the track - and only the last bar! - selected like you did.

If it’s one long clip, then you need to split the clip first. Select the clip, then tap Process > Split > then move the dotted vertical line to where you want the split. After that you can select just that region.

If you look carefully at the video, you’ll see that he has four separate (linked) clips on that line. He’s tapping on the last one.

• As a side note ... if you’re editing a long clip in the piano roll, you can select just the notes in the bars you’re interested in, then select Loop > Selection without having to exit to the timeline and set loop points.

• Another trick for working with long clips...
    You can create a dummy instrument, then draw in empty clips the length of the parts of the song. You can name them appropriately, like Verse1, Chorus, Bridge, etc. Then it’s easy to tap one of the clips and then Loop > Selection to work on different parts of the song more easily.

• @wim said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@gmslayton said:

If it’s one long clip, then you need to split the clip first. Select the clip, then tap Process > Split > then move the dotted vertical line to where you want the split. After that you can select just that region.

If you look carefully at the video, you’ll see that he has four separate (linked) clips on that line. He’s tapping on the last one.

Interestingly enough, at the time you posted this, I was reviewing Mitch's 2nd masterclass video in which he shows how to split a clip.

Splitting the imported drum part into smaller clips should allow me to fix the drum part to work with Ruismaker FM's expected key mapping... then just delete the rest of the long drum part and replace with linked copies of the short clip obtained from splitting.

I just have to figure out how to transpose the notes to the notes that Ruismaker FM expects. I honestly swear I was able to transpose the notes just few days ago. I don't understand why I'm having such a hard time with transpose today.

• Super awesome video!

Would you be able to do a follow up video showing how to setup Brambos XOX Drum machine with Ruismaker each triggering only a single drum? I d like to learn how to do this but I get stuck on the setup aspect. I wanna send my drum midi track to AUM and have separate AUM channels each playing back only a single drum to be able to add insert effects to each. If you ever get a chance that would be so awesome!

@gmslayton said:

• I figured it out!🤓🤗🤗🤗😌🎹☝️

Was able to get six instances of Ruismaker to playback my drum midi from Funk Drummer all on separate audio tracks in AUM hosted in AB3.

What was puzzling me was that I couldn’t figure out why the Ruismaker were not playing back even if GM was enabled. Turns out in Xequence 2 if the midi kick drum is recorded as D2 well in AUM, it will playback if you set the channel to receive as C2! And so on! Once I made those changes as @auxmux had suggested, all the notes played perfectly into each instance of Ruismaker!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@SevenSystems is there a way to have Xequence 2 match the correct notes with AUM? Hope it makes sense.❤️😌🐶

• Good thing you're figuring stuff up, @Tones4Christ :lol:
    Drum midi mapping is a pain most of the time.

My current hard work comes from figuring out the drums from Drum Session in midi format :open_mouth:

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I figured it out!🤓🤗🤗🤗😌🎹☝️

Was able to get six instances of Ruismaker to playback my drum midi from Funk Drummer all on separate audio tracks in AUM hosted in AB3.

What was puzzling me was that I couldn’t figure out why the Ruismaker were not playing back even if GM was enabled. Turns out in Xequence 2 if the midi kick drum is recorded as D2 well in AUM, it will playback if you set the channel to receive as C2! And so on! Once I made those changes as @auxmux had suggested, all the notes played perfectly into each instance of Ruismaker!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@SevenSystems is there a way to have Xequence 2 match the correct notes with AUM? Hope it makes sense.❤️😌🐶

Awesome! :smiley:

• @Tones4Christ said:
    to have Xequence 2 match the correct notes with AUM? Hope it makes sense.❤️😌🐶

Automatic "remapping" between drum maps is an interesting feature that I'll consider, but it's currently not available (I doubt there's any app that can do it), so for now you'll have to transpose the notes manually 😎

• Thanks! But honestly I think whatever Lumbeat’s drum machines midi mapping is on the midi out screens is not exactly what is coming out. I pointed the output of Funk Drummer midi to each of the Ruismaker instruments in AUM and some did trigger but others did not unless I looked for it with AUM’s onboard keyboard and then that’s how I got it to trigger the correct note. So GM in Lumbeat’s apps is not same GM in Ruismaker🤪

@SevenSystems said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    to have Xequence 2 match the correct notes with AUM? Hope it makes sense.❤️😌🐶

Automatic "remapping" between drum maps is an interesting feature that I'll consider, but it's currently not available (I doubt there's any app that can do it), so for now you'll have to transpose the notes manually 😎

• Soft Drummer worked great! GM2 to Ruismaker GM! Loving it!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🤓

• @Tones4Christ said:
    So GM in Lumbeat’s apps is not same GM in Ruismaker🤪

I love his apps, but maybe it's my fault... but I always struggle with the midi implementation :lol:

• edited August 2019

i> @senhorlampada said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    So GM in Lumbeat’s apps is not same GM in Ruismaker🤪

I love his apps, but maybe it's my fault... but I always struggle with the midi implementation :lol:

When you're using AUM anyway, remapping MIDI notes using StreamByter is probably the most flexible option. One GM-to-app remap script for each app with a non-GM drum mapping.
    Another option is to build pad maps in Xequence and save them with the name of the drum app, so you can either re-record the drum playing or use the correct drum instrument names in the piano roll for easier note moving.

• @rs2000 said:
    When you're using AUM anyway, remapping MIDI notes using StreamByter is probably the most flexible option. One GM-to-app remap script for each app with a non-GM drum mapping.
    Another option is to build pad maps in Xequence and save them with the name of the drum app, so you can either re-record the drum playing or use the correct drum instrument names in the piano roll for easier note moving.

Interesting :wink: Thanks :smile:

• I really with X2 had built in Drum pad maps for Lumbeat’s Drummer apps. I’m not great at this stuff as you’ve probably figured out 🤓😳❤️❤️❤️
    Perhaps @SevenSystems we can provide a cup of coffee IAP for the favor?❤️❤️🤪😌🙏

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I really with X2 had built in Drum pad maps for Lumbeat’s Drummer apps. I’m not great at this stuff as you’ve probably figured out 🤓😳❤️❤️❤️

Hehe. I'll see if I can get a hold of the Lumbeats apps and add factory drum maps.

If anyone else has made one/some, of course you're welcome to share for inclusion as well 😁

• @SevenSystems said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    I really with X2 had built in Drum pad maps for Lumbeat’s Drummer apps. I’m not great at this stuff as you’ve probably figured out 🤓😳❤️❤️❤️

Hehe. I'll see if I can get a hold of the Lumbeats apps and add factory drum maps.

If anyone else has made one/some, of course you're welcome to share for inclusion as well 😁

I understood that @Tones4Christ already created them :lol:
    I'm considering making one for SP-404 :wink: But 10 banks of 12 pads may not be productive. Even if grouping :pensive: