Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Devs have to pay an additional 42% when customers get a refund. Is this true?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I always buy my apps in triplicate to support the devs /s

I’ve return a few apps in my time for one reason or another
    No shame felt.. lol at the thought of that
    This is business not personal

The system will always be gamed tho by a few, this is true for everything in life

• Unpopular opinion: research before you buy, don’t ask a refund unless a product simply doesn’t work as advertised.

The refund system isn’t meant to be used as a surrogate for try-before-you-buy.

Some days I see up to 25% of my sales refunded and it irritates me to no end.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@MonzoPro said:

@EyeOhEss said:

‘Now, pay attention’ - Maybe do a little research before throwing that kind of log in the fire next time...Especially if you’re going to subsequently sew it in to almost every post as part of your reasoning/stance on something. Let’s leave fake news outside the forum huh ;)

Nice. Now, on to your ten year old article:

@EyeOhEss said:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/app-store-refunds-much-ado-about-nothing/

“An Apple representative said the company's policy concerning refunds and developers is that when a refund is granted on a purchase made through the App Store, Apple returns the customer's money and debits the developer's account by 70 percent of the application price, or the revenue the developer had gained on the sale. The company does not charge the developer an additional 30 percent during the refund process, the representative said”.

If that ten year old article is correct and still valid, then it's great that developers don't get penalised for unwarranted refunds.

That doesn't change the fact that anyone refunding apps just because 'they're not into it' isn't abusing the system though. Apple don't offer a 'try before you buy' option, so in doing so you're not abiding by the App Stores conditions of use.

I'm bored with this now. Time to go.

Dude, you don’t listen to people :(

You blame customers, you said people aren’t cool because of their opinions about this, but everyone else is saying it’s Apple’s fault. Not customers.

Even the dev that started this thread said that he was grateful for refunds because it meant that people could trial his software like they do on desktop. Because, besides refunds, Apple offer no other straight forward solution. At least he felt that way until you filled his head with fake news about devs having to pay for refunds on apps and we all embarked on this road to nowhere.

Fin!

Piss off, you’re annoying me now.

Flag that.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

Weird. My son was telling me last night how there was an abnormally high breakout of irritable people yesterday in the retail store where he works (one customer even injured a poor elderly lady employee checking receipts at the door and had to be arrested). Then I wake up to two big-ass threads with people at eachother’s throats.

Must be sunspots or somethin’. 🧐

• @brambos said:
    Unpopular opinion: research before you buy, don’t ask a refund unless a product simply doesn’t work as advertised.

Yes, this is how I see it. The whole App Store thing is not something I can relate to other kinds of business, it just is what it is. Apple doesn't have it set up for consumers to "try before you buy." If people don't like that, then they're free to not participate in the App Store experience. They shouldn't get to make up their own rules for how they want to use it. Do the research. If one doesn't want to take the chance that the app isn't the best choice for them, then just don't buy it. I never return anything unless it simply doesn't work, and I can't even remember that happening.

• @wim said:
    Weird. My son was telling me last night how there was an abnormally high breakout of irritable people yesterday in the retail store where he works (one customer even injured a poor elderly lady employee checking receipts at the door and had to be arrested). Then I wake up to two big-ass threads with people at their throats.

Must be sunspots or somethin’. 🧐

I was just going to ask if it’s a full moon!

• You wouldn’t know how often people want a refund for something they could have read in the app store description. I mean.. if you can’t even be bothered to read the first 4 lines of text you’re just incredibly lazy.

One time someone gave me a1-star review because I refused to paypal him his money back. He didn’t want to go to apple to request a refund and expected me to arrange it for him.

These things just make me weep for the sad state of ‘our’ society these days.

• @lovadamusic said:

@brambos said:
    Unpopular opinion: research before you buy, don’t ask a refund unless a product simply doesn’t work as advertised.

Yes, this is how I see it. The whole App Store thing is not something I can relate to other kinds of business, it just is what it is. Apple doesn't have it set up for consumers to "try before you buy." If people don't like that, then they're free to not participate in the App Store experience. They shouldn't get to make up their own rules for how they want to use it. Do the research. If one doesn't want to take the chance that the app isn't the best choice for them, then just don't buy it. I never return anything unless it simply doesn't work, and I can't even remember that happening.

+1

@brambos said:

Also worth bearing in mind Apple aren’t writing off their costs in dealing with refunds. Even though they don’t charge developers for specific refunds, you can’t bet they’ve factored it into their commission rates.

I’m staggered I’ve spent most of today arguing that getting refunds for working apps is a bad thing, and getting shouted down for it. I hate the word, but ‘entitled’ springs to mind.

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@MonzoPro said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@MonzoPro said:

@EyeOhEss said:

‘Now, pay attention’ - Maybe do a little research before throwing that kind of log in the fire next time...Especially if you’re going to subsequently sew it in to almost every post as part of your reasoning/stance on something. Let’s leave fake news outside the forum huh ;)

@EyeOhEss said:

“An Apple representative said the company's policy concerning refunds and developers is that when a refund is granted on a purchase made through the App Store, Apple returns the customer's money and debits the developer's account by 70 percent of the application price, or the revenue the developer had gained on the sale. The company does not charge the developer an additional 30 percent during the refund process, the representative said”.

If that ten year old article is correct and still valid, then it's great that developers don't get penalised for unwarranted refunds.

That doesn't change the fact that anyone refunding apps just because 'they're not into it' isn't abusing the system though. Apple don't offer a 'try before you buy' option, so in doing so you're not abiding by the App Stores conditions of use.

You blame customers, you said people aren’t cool because of their opinions about this, but everyone else is saying it’s Apple’s fault. Not customers.

Even the dev that started this thread said that he was grateful for refunds because it meant that people could trial his software like they do on desktop. Because, besides refunds, Apple offer no other straight forward solution. At least he felt that way until you filled his head with fake news about devs having to pay for refunds on apps and we all embarked on this road to nowhere.

Fin!

Flag that.

@brambos said:

Hard to research software from videos/manuals in many ways tho. Almost always feels/works/sounds/interacts/workflow is at least slightly different than you imagine. Often vastly so... I’ve only ever refunded one app. But I have a bunch that in hindsight I should have...if all devs made like an hour long video that went in to crazy detail and was totally thorough with all use cases and covered all aspects etc, then yeah ‘maybe’ fair enough...but that’s far from the case. And Too many variables in most software to cover it in a video comparable to actually ‘using’ it.

Until Apple makes iOS same as desktop where you can demo almost anything, refund is the substitute it seems.

No, it has been stated before: if you don’t want to play by Apple’s rules you’re free to not use the App Store at all. You don’t get to make your own rules. B)

• @brambos said:
    You wouldn’t know how often people want a refund for something they could have read in the app store description. I mean.. if you can’t even be bothered to read the first 4 lines of text you’re just incredibly lazy.

One time someone gave me a1-star review because I refused to paypal him his money back. He didn’t want to go to apple to request a refund and expected me to arrange it for him.

These things just make me weep for the sad state of ‘our’ society these days.

This kills me but inspired me to go through and write some reviews to offset the idiocy that’s out there.

• @zah said:
    I would expect to receive a partial refund if I buy, for example, an app for $19.99 like Yonac’s Kaspar, only to have it go on sale for .99c the next day or so - like Yonac did a few weeks ago.

Most stores around here has a policy to refund the difference if your purchase goes on sale within a certain time frame (30 days usually). You don’t even bring in the item - just show them the receipt and you get reimbursed.

I’m not sure what Apple’s policy is here - is there an option in the Report a Problem dropdown that says Developer Dropped the Price of App by 95% Yesterday.

Can we compare different kinds of businesses? Returning a physical item as opposed to a downloadable app? Trying to see it from Apple's perspective, it seems they could have a lot of overhead if it was too easy for people to "return" their purchase for a refund, not to mention the outright abuses of that system possible.

• edited July 2019

So ,on topic , @brambos since you stepped in , could you kindly confirm if refund actually costs a developer money ?

• @Korakios said:
    So ,on topic , @brambos since you stepped in , could you kindly confirm if refund actually costs a developer money ?

I always assumed it did. Apple’s reports are really cryptic because of the tier-system. Prices differ for every country and you only get to see totals for refunded sales.

• If an app misrepresents itself or doesn't work as planned — or is simply unusable by any individual consumer for whatever reason — a refund is fine. (If you get a refund and then keep using the app with no intent of repurchasing, that's theft.)

But I also think that refunds are part of the system, and it's built into the cost of doing business.

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Now, Apple sits in the USA, where the rights of people, compared to those of companies and the government, are very low. Which is a sad thing.
    It should be illegal for Apple to keep this 30%, of course.
    Everything else just reminds of the Mafia.
    Please note that I only read the first few postings of this thread.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@brambos said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@MonzoPro said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@MonzoPro said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Fin!

Flag that.

@brambos said:

Hard to research software from videos/manuals in many ways tho. Almost always feels/works/sounds/interacts/workflow is at least slightly different than you imagine. Often vastly so... I’ve only ever refunded one app. But I have a bunch that in hindsight I should have...if all devs made like an hour long video that went in to crazy detail and was totally thorough with all use cases and covered all aspects etc, then yeah ‘maybe’ fair enough...but that’s far from the case. And Too many variables in most software to cover it in a video comparable to actually ‘using’ it.

Until Apple makes iOS same as desktop where you can demo almost anything, refund is the substitute it seems.

No, it has been stated before: if you don’t want to play by Apple’s rules you’re free to not use the App Store at all. You don’t get to make your own rules. B)

I ‘do’ play by the rules. But I’m also glad that there’s a workaround for when/if I ever want to try a few similar plugins and decide which one I want to buy. Or if I’m broke and torn between two apps, can only afford one and turn out to not be impressed at all by the one I choose...

Apple suck for making a workaround neccesary, but at least it’s there for customers.
    And if you’re sometimes getting 25% refunds like you mentioned, then that means more people are using refunds to vet purchases and fly through app decisions than I imagined. But that goes both ways, odds are that you’re in turn getting a bunch of app sales where if refund wasn’t an option then people would never have even downloaded it to trial...

It’s not a ‘workaround’, as I’ve explained to you countless times today. Refunds are for apps that don’t work, not for you to ‘try before you buy’.

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@MonzoPro said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@brambos said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@MonzoPro said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@MonzoPro said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Fin!

Flag that.

@brambos said:

I ‘do’ play by the rules. But I’m also glad that there’s a workaround for when/if I ever want to try a few similar plugins and decide which one I want to buy. Or if I’m broke and torn between two apps, can only afford one and turn out to not be impressed at all by the one I choose...

Apple suck for making a workaround neccesary, but at least it’s there for customers.
    And if you’re sometimes getting 25% refunds like you mentioned, then that means more people are using refunds to vet purchases and fly through app decisions than I imagined. But that goes both ways, odds are that you’re in turn getting a bunch of app sales where if refund wasn’t an option then people would never have even downloaded it to trial...

It’s not a ‘workaround’, as I’ve explained to you countless times today. Refunds are for apps that don’t work, not for you to ‘try before you buy’.

lol. That’s WHY it’s a workaround.. obviously :/

You don’t need to keep saying the same thing to me. I understand what you’re saying. I just don’t agree with it.

In your own words from earlier - ‘Piss off, you’re annoying me’.

Troll.

• @tk32 said:
    If anyone reads this and is still using an app after refunding...

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ob7p7lDT99cd2/giphy.gif

I’m actually genuinely shocked to learn this is even possible

The only app I got a refund on which I've kept on my device is Cubasis. I don't actually use it except to listen to the recordings I made with it, but this is a good reminder to get them off the iPad so I can delete it.

I got a refund on that because they don't fix the major bugs and just flog new IAP disguised as updates.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@tja said:
    Now, Apple sits in the USA, where the rights of people, compared to those of companies and the government, are very low. Which is a sad thing.
    Everything else just reminds of the Mafia.
    Please note that I only read the first few postings of this thread.

Every company, in every country in the world, has a distribution model where each entity in that chain gets part of the sale. The company typically sells to a distributor. The distributor typically sells to a retailer. The retailer sells to the customer. Distributors generally get about a 40% discount from the company. Retailers generally get about a 30% discount from the Distributor. You pay the difference.

It’s no different than Apple’s system, except they are one-tier. Developers aren’t forced to participate in such a model.

This has nothing to do with countries, companies vs. the people, or anything else. It’s just business. IMO, 30% seems exorbitant for what the App Store does, but the bottom line is, Apple is providing a product, and consumers (developers) are deciding whether that product benefits them or not.

No need to bring class warfare into this.

[edit] BTW, Amazon, EBay, Etsy, etc. are similar models but with different infrastructure. They all keep a portion of sales to finance their operations and make a profit. (Lot smaller than 30% too!)

• @MonzoPro
    I’ve never seen EyeOhEss change his views based on reasoned argument, so you might as well just save bandwidth, spare yourself the aggro and leave him to it.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    @MonzoPro
    I’ve never seen EyeOhEss change his views based on reasoned argument, so you might as well just save bandwidth, spare yourself the aggro and leave him to it.

I learned that the hard way. :)

• @tja said:

Of course?? And government should decide how much they do get to keep? And if Apple decides that what the government decides isn’t enough to make it worthwhile, should they be forced to continue that business? Or what, go to jail?

Sorry, I’m not following the logic here. I’ll read with an open mind if you decide to respond, but decline to get into a debate. -peace. B)

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    @MonzoPro

@BroCoast said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    @MonzoPro

I learned that the hard way. :)

Thanks guys - lesson learned!

This discussion has been closed.