Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Awesome Loop Deck Setup

If you have been wanting to do loop record sessions and jams and been frustrated trying to set up and co-ordinate multiple loop AUs, you might be interested in this non-AU but very stable and convenient workflow:

• 12 tracks/loops (24 are actually possible) and does not eat up much CPU
  • start and stop recording and set loop lengths without having to open and close AUs or switch between apps
  • long recording times (I've had no problems with 12 3 minute loops. longer loops likely not a problem though I haven't tried)
  • loops synced to host tempo OR let your first loop determine the session's tempo automagically

Here is a quick demo of the setup in action:

I'll follow up with a few more videos to walk people that need it through the set-up and use process.

EDIT (new video links added):

Video walk-through of how to make the Audiobus and AUM setups.

A tutorial/tour of the AUM mixer for those not familiar with using buses (draft - feedback useful):

Comments

• For those that need some help getting this set up, here are some screenshots that I think are pretty self-explanatory.

The Audiobus setup. If you use any IAA apps in your loop-flow, add them here so that you can take advantage of state-saving and app-switching from the palette:

• Thank You. @espiegel123 I’d like to see more how you set it up ,or maybe you can share the preset ?

• AUM Setup. You can actually go simpler than this, but I think using these buses are very helpful:

• @MeatWalrus said:
    Thank You. @espiegel123 I’d like to see more how you set it up ,or maybe you can share the preset ?

I'll share an AB preset when I get a chance. Between the two screenshots that I just posted, are you now able to re-create what I did?

I am working on a video walking through the setup. It would be helpful to know what aspect isn't clear so that I can make sure to explain it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MeatWalrus said:
    Thank You. @espiegel123 I’d like to see more how you set it up ,or maybe you can share the preset ?

I'll share an AB preset when I get a chance. Between the two screenshots that I just posted, are you now able to re-create what I did?

I am working on a video walking through the setup. It would be helpful to know what aspect isn't clear so that I can make sure to explain it.

I will let you know AFTER I see the video :) Seriously though, I look forward to it....

• Well I was going to say I’m one of the slower brethren even slower than @JohnnyGoodyear and surprise here’s Johnny LOL

• Hrmmm...this may solve the issue I have with Enso constantly crashing on me if I have more than 2 instances :) Looking forward to seeing this thread evolve. Nice work @espiegel123

• Good work, @espiegel123 ! Looking forward for the preset.

• I had it mostly working but i was experiencing loopback feedback. Need to see how the audio is routed in AUM to avoid the clicking I’m getting. Could you provide a routing screen shot so we can see the Bus mapping. Thanks. @espiegel123

• @echoopera said:
    I had it mostly working but i was experiencing loopback feedback. Need to see how the audio is routed in AUM to avoid the clicking I’m getting. Could you provide a routing screen shot so we can see the Bus mapping. Thanks. @espiegel123

Try turning off audio monitoring in Loopy's settings.

There isn't any audio routing that isn't shown in the screenshot that I posted up-thread.

Can you post a screenshot if turning monitoring off doesn't solve the problem?

I may not be able to post my preset till this evening.

Basically:

• have bus p be your main output. Send it to your speakers/output device
    • Channel that receives from Loopy. Route output to bus p.
    • Set up a channel with bus A and send its output to Loopy (Audiobus output).
    • For each input that you want to be able to send to Loopy , create a channel. Add a node that is a bus send to send A (Loopy). I set it to be post-fader and turn the send node all the way up. Set the channel's output to bus P.
  • Waiting for the preset too !

How does handle MIDI? Does the midi go to AB for controlling Loopy or goes to AUM ?

• edited July 2019

I recommend launching Loopy and turning off input monitoring in settings before launching these. You only need to do that once unless you turn monitoring back on.

Note that the Loopy bus sends were set up as post fader (meaning that the source channel’s fader influences the send volume). You can set them to be pre-fader if you prefer.

I have uploaded two versions. One for Loopy non-hd and one for Loopy HD

EDIT:
    Here is the LoopyHD/AUM AB preset:

http://preset.audiob.us/AcgXAShVDsgcnSu

Here is a preset for non-HD Loopy:
    http://preset.audiob.us/wz3xsTKE6FyzNCj

You can ignore the zip files I attached to this message

• There is some more info in this very rough wiki article (that has links to some useful discussions). There is also a link to a longer video demonstration (that is a rough draft of a tutorial vid that I am still working on):

https://wiki.audiob.us/loopy_aum_integration_with_audiobus_3

Post any questions you have -- as I have a couple of more videos in process about this workflow/setup -- and I'll try to make sure they address any points of confusion or questions that come up here.

• @espiegel123 all right cool. I think i figured it out. Thanks for the setup explanation. Here’s what i put together and it seems to work. Sweet...thanks for starting this thread 👊🏼™️
    http://preset.audiob.us/YYTYYkM1tW84gSk

• edited July 2019

This is really nuts...12 Looping tracks in Loopy HD from AUM...this is going to be a lot of fun :) And the fact that you can then route the 12 tracks through AUM or AB to apply FX is super sweet :)

Truly thanks for illuminating us @espiegel123

• edited July 2019

Fun stuff hurray!

Oh the joy you have delivered to me today 👊🏼™️

• @echoopera said:
    Fun stuff hurray!

I though that I own any and all Apps already, but I see some in that Screenshot that I don't have, so you beat me on this :D :)

• @echoopera said:
    Fun stuff hurray!

Oh the joy you have delivered to me today 👊🏼™️

Awesome!

• Someone else here (maybe @Janosax ?) turned me on to this earlier this year. I am
    amazed more people don't use it.

Now, with Mozaic and Streambyter , it is easy to put together interfaces so that you can take full advantage of Loopy without having to switch out of the host. I plan on putting something together to make song sections (a la group the loop) easy.

• I am not trying to be an ass.........but.........AB remote works great as well.

• edited July 2019

@RUST( i )K what’s AB Remote?

That icon is Group the Loop right? I may get it when he updates it but so far LoopyHD is satisfying the stretch that Ensō has left.

Enso is just so unstable on my setup that it gives me anxiety to use it cause i can lose work at any second.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I am not trying to be an ass.........but.........AB remote works great as well.

Not sure of the point you are wanting to make. Care to clarify?

• edited July 2019

@echoopera said:
    @RUST( i )K what’s AB Remote?

That icon is Group the Loop right? I may get it when he updates it but so far LoopyHD is satisfying the stretch that Ensō has left.

Enso is just so unstable on my setup that it gives me anxiety to use it cause i can lose work at any second.

He’s talking about Audiobus remote, the companion app that lets you trigger things from another device like an iPhone. You can also use it on the same device. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audiobus-remote/id964755325

@echoopera could you (or someone) be so kind to attach your “loopy setup” preset here like espegiel did? I’m using the audiobus beta and clicking your link takes me to a webpage that says I need to install audiobus. Clicking anywhere on that page takes me to the App Store.

• Would love to see a video of how to set all this up and then show how to loop, coming from a linear timeline background!

• @espiegel123 had fun tonight with my looping wall of sound and effects...fun to get a little lost in it all:

Thanks again...this thread opened up a new workflow for me. 👊🏼™️

• Here’s my setup: Audiobus, AUM, Loopy Pro, Turnado, Ravenscroft (as input).

http://preset.audiob.us/TrL5MxBcGa1K7Xi

• This is brilliant.

What's the best way to tell Loopy, AUM, and AB3 to sync together? link

• @mistercharlie said:
    This is brilliant.

What's the best way to tell Loopy, AUM, and AB3 to sync together? link

Link is probably easiest with AUM. AB3 and Loopy can also do
    IAA and MIDI clock.

Loopy also has lots of options for how record and play quantization, sync and more.

• And Loopy can do things like overdub and merge.

A nice summary of features for those not familiar with Loopy:

https://loopyapp.com/features/

It is both simple and deep.