Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Convolution reverb in Rooms! is now free

The price of the Convolution Reverb in-app purchase in https://apps.apple.com/app/id572894725 has dropped to 0. This includes using the reverb via Audiobus or IAA. The plan for the upcoming version 7.0 of the app is to introduce a new in-app purchase which makes the convolution engine available via AUv3.

Best regards,
Markus

«13

Comments

  • Thanks man!

  • Thank you! Stupid question probably : where can i find the in-app purchases?

  • @Pierre118 said:
    Thank you! Stupid question probably : where can i find the in-app purchases?

    Settings view, action menu at the right top.

  • I’m not able to load the ir files from your web page, I get a 'failed to access url' error. Same thing if I download the file first to my iPad.

  • @polaron_de said:

    @Pierre118 said:
    Thank you! Stupid question probably : where can i find the in-app purchases?

    Settings view, action menu at the right top.

    Thanks @polaron_de I couldn’t find this either 🙂

  • @GrimLucky said:

    @polaron_de said:

    @Pierre118 said:
    Thank you! Stupid question probably : where can i find the in-app purchases?

    Settings view, action menu at the right top.

    Thanks @polaron_de I couldn’t find this either 🙂

    I missed it to. It uses the share icon for the popup...using some other glyph would probably be worthwhile.

  • @dougdi said:
    I’m not able to load the ir files from your web page, I get a 'failed to access url' error. Same thing if I download the file first to my iPad.

    Same.

  • @polaron_de Thank you for the Convolution Reverb IAP.. and the extra IRs will be very useful.

    To Download ALL available IRs on offer:
    -Go to Parameters Page (bottom middle)
    -Click on Convolution (top middle)
    -Click on action menu (bottom, left of Recorder page)
    -Click on Download IR set
    -Click on Get list on the popup
    -choose the IR set(s) that you want
    -repeat last 4 steps to get them all (vanSaane,Voxengo 1,2,3 +4)

  • I always liked this reverb. The randomization always causes some happy accidents as well (after the update that allowed us to lock the gain).

    Great to hear you are bringing convolution IRs to AU.

    Nice one 👍

  • Ah i See. No custom IRs allowed?
    I found these Big Sky IRs which i really liked forward to test out ;)

  • @david_2017 said:
    I found these Big Sky IRs ...

    Please tell us more! Available for download?

  • @Hmtx said:

    @david_2017 said:
    I found these Big Sky IRs ...

    Please tell us more! Available for download?

    https://forum.critterandguitari.com/t/share-your-impulse-response-files-with-me/1666

  • What can we do with the cloud IR?
    But I am planning to get my BigSky in a few days 🤭 so happy 😀👍🏼

  • Awesome thanks!

    @royor said:
    @polaron_de Thank you for the Convolution Reverb IAP.. and the extra IRs will be very useful.

    To Download ALL available IRs on offer:
    -Go to Parameters Page (bottom middle)
    -Click on Convolution (top middle)
    -Click on action menu (bottom, left of Recorder page)
    -Click on Download IR set
    -Click on Get list on the popup
    -choose the IR set(s) that you want
    -repeat last 4 steps to get them all (vanSaane,Voxengo 1,2,3 +4)

  • @polaron_de said:
    The price of the Convolution Reverb in-app purchase in https://apps.apple.com/app/id572894725 has dropped to 0. This includes using the reverb via Audiobus or IAA. The plan for the upcoming version 7.0 of the app is to introduce a new in-app purchase which makes the convolution engine available via AUv3.

    Best regards,
    Markus

    Thank you for the convolution impulses.
    They'll certainly come in useful.

  • Thank you for the reverb and IR's! I just downloaded them and will try them out. I've used Ableton Live and FL Studio for years, and when I got my iPad, I never though about making music on it. I'd had an Android phone and the music apps I tried on it were rinky dink. When I switched to an iPhone, I kept hearing about music apps, but I thought they would be toys. Then, I heard about Synth One and tried it out. My world was rocked! And, it was thanks to people like you. Keep up the good work.

  • Thanks for this!

  • @royor said:
    @polaron_de Thank you for the Convolution Reverb IAP.. and the extra IRs will be very useful.

    To Download ALL available IRs on offer:
    -Go to Parameters Page (bottom middle)
    -Click on Convolution (top middle)
    -Click on action menu (bottom, left of Recorder page)
    -Click on Download IR set
    -Click on Get list on the popup
    -choose the IR set(s) that you want
    -repeat last 4 steps to get them all (vanSaane,Voxengo 1,2,3 +4)

    Thanks for the info.
    Worked like a charm!

  • @dougdi + @JeffChasteen you are welcome.. total fluke that I even found them.. just poking around and.. hmmm, what's this?

  • How does the AU come up? I don’t see it in gb ?

  • I see it as iaa, but not au

  • @MrSmileZ not AU yet. The developer is working on making an AU app

  • edited July 8

    Oh ok, I misunderstood. Thanks for the quick reply @gusgranite I appreciate it

  • @dougdi said:
    I’m not able to load the ir files from your web page, I get a 'failed to access url' error. Same thing if I download the file first to my iPad.

    Now that it annyoing! I thought I had tested this. A bugfix release will follow in short time (already have an idea what is going on).

    For downloading the IR archives prepared on the polaron.de page, you can use the steps detailed by royor. Generally, if you tap a zip file in Safari, you can also use the Files app to drop the zip file directly into the documents folder of Rooms!. Then use the function "Unpack to impulse responses" that is offered when you long tap the file in the Files view of Rooms!.

    Anyway, thanks for the bug report.

  • edited July 8

    @polaron_de tried it on my iPhone 6S, noticed very high CPU load with longer IR's (around 45% with 4s long verb ) - is this just because of IAA and AU version will be less CPU-hungry ?

  • Convolution is CPU-hungry, this will not be better in the AU version. Maybe you can try a longer buffer size? In the Settings view you can activate the convolution time display to see how much time a single callback actually needs.

    What tool do you use to measure CPU load?

  • i was justchecking CPU meter in AUM.. understand it, yeah also on desktop convolution reverb were always huge cpu eaters :)

  • There is now a pre-release of Rooms! 6.4, the upcoming version which exposes the convolution engine as an audio unit. As this is my first attempt at AUv3 development, a beta test seems reasonable, so here is a public Testflight link:

    https://testflight.apple.com/join/WhJOXq7n

    The AUv3 functionality is unlocked in this beta version. It will be an IAP in the release version.

    Beware: To give the app extension access to the impulse response library of Rooms!, it is necessary to move the library to a shared folder. An automatic migration takes place at the first run of Rooms! 6.4. There is no going back. If you roll back to the current app store version 6.3, you need to recreate your IR library (preferably from zip files that you have saved in the documents folder / in iCloud).

    Any comments, questions, and bug reports are welcome. Two topics are of special interest:

    • The behaviour with various hosts. I tested with Audiobus and with Garageband. Does the GUI work with other hosts and with all screen orientations?

    • The subject "buffer size". The convolution engine depends on a power of 2. The audio unit works with the sample rate that the hosts sets on the output bus, and it adapts if the host changes the sample rate. In my tests this was sufficient to guarantee buffer sizes 2^n. But there may be more complex setups or hosts that behave less benevolent than Audiobus and Garageband, and then odd buffer sizes are conceivable. Tell me about such setups. In this case I would have to implement additional buffering.

    Best regards,
    Markus

  • @polaron_de said:
    There is now a pre-release of Rooms! 6.4, the upcoming version which exposes the convolution engine as an audio unit. As this is my first attempt at AUv3 development, a beta test seems reasonable, so here is a public Testflight link:

    https://testflight.apple.com/join/WhJOXq7n

    The AUv3 functionality is unlocked in this beta version. It will be an IAP in the release version.

    Beware: To give the app extension access to the impulse response library of Rooms!, it is necessary to move the library to a shared folder. An automatic migration takes place at the first run of Rooms! 6.4. There is no going back. If you roll back to the current app store version 6.3, you need to recreate your IR library (preferably from zip files that you have saved in the documents folder / in iCloud).

    Any comments, questions, and bug reports are welcome. Two topics are of special interest:

    • The behaviour with various hosts. I tested with Audiobus and with Garageband. Does the GUI work with other hosts and with all screen orientations?

    • The subject "buffer size". The convolution engine depends on a power of 2. The audio unit works with the sample rate that the hosts sets on the output bus, and it adapts if the host changes the sample rate. In my tests this was sufficient to guarantee buffer sizes 2^n. But there may be more complex setups or hosts that behave less benevolent than Audiobus and Garageband, and then odd buffer sizes are conceivable. Tell me about such setups. In this case I would have to implement additional buffering.

    Best regards,
    Markus

    it seems to work ok in Cubasis, once i found you have to go to ‘parameters’ rather than ‘files’ to download the voxengo and van saane IRs...
    only thing is it misses midi notes at the very beginning of a song/track .. which is quite common in cubasis so not necessarily a Rooms! fault.
    remarkably, other than that ‘first note’ prob, freezing seems to work aok without any of the cubasis ‘realtime’ or ‘au compatibility’ settings needed! this is quite unusual these days with new au’s , usually some teething probs...
    sounds great and a really much needed thing in au.. so despite the simplicity of the settings i would use it quite often, for design AND mixdown purposes.
    now it just needs an ‘open in’ or files app way to get wavs in.. the download zip from url is ok for dropbox etc.. but is a bit of a long way round..

Sign In or Register to comment.