Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New AU3 plugin: Tube AU - Play YouTube videos inside of audio unit hosts

Comments

• edited July 2019

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:
    @Blue_Mangoo This Tube AU works perfect in bm3 :) imagine having a dropbox version...

You want an audio unit that plays video from your Dropbox account? Could you tell us more about how that would be useful? We will consider doing other plugins that play video when we have a feel for what people need

@Blue_Mangoo thanks for reply. Ive uploaded nearly my entire record crates i use for sampling into dropbox. Means I can be anywhere in the world creating beats. To be able to sample direct into bm3 etc via dropbox would be ace.

I see. Those are audio files? In .wav format?

@Blue_Mangoo hi some are wav some are .mp4

Check out Resonic Pro on windows... https://resonic.at/pro. A simplified version of this would make a great AU.

The whole drag and drop may not be conceivable in the short term but just a simple browser that lets you quickly skim through local iOS Files wavs (Spacecraft can do this now) and on the waveform select a loop range and speed adjustment in cents would be great. ( Oh heck lets throw in reverse playback too. ;) )

• @AudioGus said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:
    @Blue_Mangoo This Tube AU works perfect in bm3 :) imagine having a dropbox version...

You want an audio unit that plays video from your Dropbox account? Could you tell us more about how that would be useful? We will consider doing other plugins that play video when we have a feel for what people need

@Blue_Mangoo thanks for reply. Ive uploaded nearly my entire record crates i use for sampling into dropbox. Means I can be anywhere in the world creating beats. To be able to sample direct into bm3 etc via dropbox would be ace.

Check out Resonic Pro on windows... https://resonic.at/pro. A simplified version of this would make a great AU.

The whole drag and drop may not be conceivable in the short term but just a simple browser that lets you quickly skim through local iOS Files wavs (Spacecraft can do this now) and on the waveform select a loop range and speed adjustment in cents would be great. ( Oh heck lets throw in reverse playback too. ;) )

@AudioGus ok thanks for info Iam a mac dude but will check it out.

• Floyd at Pompeii provided a lot of fodder to play with

• I'm interested in buying this but have a question: how easy is it to get a clip you want from YT, then process it (trim it, normalise it, etc.), and then use it in AUM? In other words, once the clip you want has been sampled using Tube AU, how easy is it to process it in AUM itself (possibly using another sampling app)? If it's easy enough, all good, but I don't want to sample it in Tube AU, and then have to leave AUM altogether and work out how to get the sample from Tube AU, then into an external app, and then into AUM again. Does this make sense? What I don't want to do is buy the app only to find that I'm left with raw samples that still need further processing that can't be one within AUM itself (as I say, using another AU if necessary). Thanks in advance.

• edited July 2019

@audio_DT said:
    I'm interested in buying this but have a question: how easy is it to get a clip you want from YT, then process it (trim it, normalise it, etc.), and then use it in AUM? In other words, once the clip you want has been sampled using Tube AU, how easy is it to process it in AUM itself (possibly using another sampling app)? If it's easy enough, all good, but I don't want to sample it in Tube AU, and then have to leave AUM altogether and work out how to get the sample from Tube AU, then into an external app, and then into AUM again. Does this make sense? What I don't want to do is buy the app only to find that I'm left with raw samples that still need further processing that can't be one within AUM itself (as I say, using another AU if necessary). Thanks in advance.

From what I understand you would do the recording inside AUM, which means these recordings are then available in audioshare for trimming etc....
    As the files are in audioshare it is easy to add them back to AUM via the fileplayer, and then add further FX etc within AUM.

• edited July 2019

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

Hm... it’s like there’s a need for a player that does both audio and video from many different sources.

I’m curious to know if others are in need of Dropbox support. I want to say that we will do it, but I think I had better find out there is enough interest to cover our development costs.

I can see that there is sufficient demand for a multimedia player of some sort but I’m still working on deciding which input sources we should support.

• @AudioGus said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

That sounds doable.

The list of features in resonic is appropriate for its 69 euro price tag:

https://resonic.at/product-comparison

We definitely need to do something less complex for iOS. File browsing, looping, and speed adjustment sounds reasonable. (Speed adjustment includes backward speed)

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Blue_Mangoo said:

I’m curious to know if others are in need of Dropbox support. I want to say that we will do it, but I think I had better find out there is enough interest to cover our development costs.

I can see that there is sufficient demand for a multimedia player of some sort but I’m still working on deciding which input sources we should support.

+1 for Dropbox support

@SilverK said:
    I understand there must have been a heap of time involved in developing this app and it speeds up the work flow tremendously not having to jump between iOS , windows , phone and tablet so SUPERB app for convenience of sampling but there is a relatively easy work around to download n sample from YouTube using a couple of free bits of software , hence feel the price is very steep 😕 , price it accordingly and I would think you’ll get far more sales because it’s so handy 😁 . I’ll be getting it if they do 🤞😁

I thought the same until I saw the devs approach and responses here and decided the $10 was worth it to support devs like this.

Then I tried the app and realized that the time saved circumventing the workflow you describe that I currently use was well worth the money.

Hopefully I never have to go back to ripping and converting audio from YT again.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@AudioGus said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

That sounds doable.

The list of features in resonic is appropriate for its 69 euro price tag:

https://resonic.at/product-comparison

We definitely need to do something less complex for iOS. File browsing, looping, and speed adjustment sounds reasonable. (Speed adjustment includes backward speed)

Whoot+!! :)

• lmao this is kinda crazy.... I'm reading a lot of "wow it does this, but can it do this, this, and this complicated thing pertaining only to my workflow?"

This app is a dream come true for me. I love sampling obscure YouTube videos and have always wanted an easy way to rip the audio on iOS without having to connect my iPhone to my iPad with an audio interface. This app allows me to do just that. Chopping and looping and mixing can all be done after the fact in one of the 30 other apps I already own. $10 ain't cheap for an app that could eventually get squashed but for the time it's already saved me, I really can't complain. Plus I use this dude's free stereo lag app in like 90% of my tracks.

• On OSX I use Snapper a lot, seems similar to Resonic. https://www.audioease.com/snapper/
    Would be very useful on iOS

• @EyeOhEss said:

@SilverK said:
    I understand there must have been a heap of time involved in developing this app and it speeds up the work flow tremendously not having to jump between iOS , windows , phone and tablet so SUPERB app for convenience of sampling but there is a relatively easy work around to download n sample from YouTube using a couple of free bits of software , hence feel the price is very steep 😕 , price it accordingly and I would think you’ll get far more sales because it’s so handy 😁 . I’ll be getting it if they do 🤞😁

It’s a totally different workflow though ;) Vastly better than the alternative solutions....

Looking at YouTube’s entire content as a sample library, £10 is peanuts for something that makes that available to instantly browse/pipe in to Beatmaker 3 ;)

@EyeOhEss said:

@SilverK said:

It’s a totally different workflow though ;) Vastly better than the alternative solutions....

Looking at YouTube’s entire content as a sample library, £10 is peanuts for something that makes that available to instantly browse/pipe in to Beatmaker 3 ;)

When you put it that way , fair comment 😁👍

• edited July 2019

@pink_sky said:
    lmao this is kinda crazy.... I'm reading a lot of "wow it does this, but can it do this, this, and this complicated thing pertaining only to my workflow?"

This app is a dream come true for me. I love sampling obscure YouTube videos and have always wanted an easy way to rip the audio on iOS without having to connect my iPhone to my iPad with an audio interface. This app allows me to do just that. Chopping and looping and mixing can all be done after the fact in one of the 30 other apps I already own. $10 ain't cheap for an app that could eventually get squashed but for the time it's already saved me, I really can't complain. Plus I use this dude's free stereo lag app in like 90% of my tracks.

I actually don't think anyone asked for or implied that the youtube app needs chopping and looping (unless I missed it). I think the youtube plugin is perfectly fine. Yes, I just use it to sample in BM3 and then do pitching/editing in there.

There was discussion though of other future apps. One being a local video player (not so much my thing, but sure). The other one I would LOVE would be similar to Resonic Pro that would be a quick iOS File system browser / player app. Yes you can loop and pitch change in other apps after loading sounds in or sampling them but for doing diverse audio montages from a wide variety of source files it is a huge benefit to be able to quickly audition sounds with different pitches before sampling them or loading them into other apps, which is what I do on PC with Resonic Pro and it is a HUGE time saver. That is the whole point of the sister app in my mind. I would play the track in progress in BM3 and then browse through all of the sounds on my iPad at anywhere from -24 to +24 cents to find bits that fit. Far quicker than loading samples in one at a time to test at different pitches.

• @bounce said:
    On OSX I use Snapper a lot, seems similar to Resonic. https://www.audioease.com/snapper/
    Would be very useful on iOS

Cool, it does playback speed?

• I gotta be honest - I never expected this to pass Apple's quality control. Not that the app doesn't work or anything - I just figured that this would have copyright infringement written all over it.

Not that that stopped me from dropping $10 on this bad boy!

I can see a million uses for this - here's hoping it has a long life! Thanks @Blue_Mangoo !

• Here’s the thing. Having an app that plays YouTube videos is not copyright infringement, nor illegal in any way shape or form. There are apps in the App Store that let you play YT videos in the background without a subscription. The problem is intent. Apple, YouTube, Spotify, they all want to make it nearly impossible to record from their apps so they code it accordingly. I don’t believe Apple actually cares if you can play YouTube as an AU. The legal issue would fall on YOU the user. If Apple decided they wanted to make it harder, they could, but not on legal grounds. Only by their own rules. Otherwise why would B—-e! have lasted this long? It’s not because we’ve been so good at keeping it a secret. :D

• edited July 2019

For years PlayerExtreme has let you download Youtube videos completely and send them to Audioshare. Great for when you want the whole dang thing.

EDIT/LIE: I have only ever used it to download my own videos.

• @AudioGus said:

@pink_sky said:
    lmao this is kinda crazy.... I'm reading a lot of "wow it does this, but can it do this, this, and this complicated thing pertaining only to my workflow?"

I actually don't think anyone asked for or implied that the youtube app needs chopping and looping (unless I missed it). I think the youtube plugin is perfectly fine. Yes, I just use it to sample in BM3 and then do pitching/editing in there.

There was discussion though of other future apps. One being a local video player (not so much my thing, but sure). The other one I would LOVE would be similar to Resonic Pro that would be a quick iOS File system browser / player app. Yes you can loop and pitch change in other apps after loading sounds in or sampling them but for doing diverse audio montages from a wide variety of source files it is a huge benefit to be able to quickly audition sounds with different pitches before sampling them or loading them into other apps, which is what I do on PC with Resonic Pro and it is a HUGE time saver. That is the whole point of the sister app in my mind. I would play the track in progress in BM3 and then browse through all of the sounds on my iPad at anywhere from -24 to +24 cents to find bits that fit. Far quicker than loading samples in one at a time to test at different pitches.

Mate, it's more of a commentary on how the iOS community is never happy with anything when we regularly get brilliant plugins for under $20 that would cost 10x as much on Mac/PC. Not meant as a jab at anyone in particular. Just wanted to be one voice in the thread that says "bravo, dev" instead of "wouldn't it be cool if my imaginary app existed?"

BTW the useful bits of what your describing sound an awful lot like AudioShare to me, and if you're if you're using Tube AU in AUM (and honestly, why wouldn't you be using AUM?) it all integrates with 99% of apps beautifully. Unless something's going over my head.

• @DCJ said:
    Here’s the thing. Having an app that plays YouTube videos is not copyright infringement, nor illegal in any way shape or form. There are apps in the App Store that let you play YT videos in the background without a subscription. The problem is intent. Apple, YouTube, Spotify, they all want to make it nearly impossible to record from their apps so they code it accordingly. I don’t believe Apple actually cares if you can play YouTube as an AU. The legal issue would fall on YOU the user. If Apple decided they wanted to make it harder, they could, but not on legal grounds. Only by their own rules. Otherwise why would B—-e! have lasted this long? It’s not because we’ve been so good at keeping it a secret. :D

Right on! I love this Tube AU app because I watch tutorials "in app" with AUM/AB3 to learn how to do things. Valuable! I have no idea what this "sampling" nonsense is all about.

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Blue_Mangoo This might be a better candidate for the second app you were talking about (one where you could load local videos from your device), but my first thought when I saw this app was that I'd love to be able to use it to do scoring. This would require the video playback to track with the DAW transport, of course.

Is that possible?

• edited July 2019

@pink_sky said:

@AudioGus said:

@pink_sky said:

Mate, it's more of a commentary on how the iOS community is never happy with anything when we regularly get brilliant plugins for under $20 that would cost 10x as much on Mac/PC. Not meant as a jab at anyone in particular. Just wanted to be one voice in the thread that says "bravo, dev" instead of "wouldn't it be cool if my imaginary app existed?"

I think the dev wants to make more simple apps like this and likes getting our ideas/money. ;) It is like if someone posts a song and we say, 'Dayum brah, make an album!' Tis a compliment but yah I get your point.

BTW the useful bits of what your describing sound an awful lot like AudioShare to me, and if you're if you're using Tube AU in AUM (and honestly, why wouldn't you be using AUM?) it all integrates with 99% of apps beautifully. Unless something's going over my head.

yah, I actualy had a bit I wrote you (which I deleted in case of 'too long didn't read') where I mentioned that I do currently use Audioshare for this as an IAA in BM3. Works ok but lack of pitch auditioning limits it potential. I messaged the dev quite a while ago asking if pitch preview could be done but they said the app is done and no futher features and to use AUM. But again AUM doesn't let you jump around a waveform quickly testing bits at different pitches. Yah it really is about the speed of auditioning potential sounds. Up to an octave or two up or down makes a world of difference in revealing a sound sources potential. Speed, speed, speed, it is all about the speed!

• This app just resurrected BM3 for me. It works beautifully. I don't really need much else at this point.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@pink_sky said:

@AudioGus said:

@pink_sky said:

Can only speak for myself but my request for added stream sources was mostly down to having paid £10 for an app that most people seem convinced won’t work for long. It’d just be a fail-safe to reassure that the app wouldn’t become a total virtual paperweight if YT/apple spoil the party ;)

This is my only hesitation. If this works for a year, or gets updated each time there's an 'issue' then it's worth ten pounds of my hard earned money. My concern is there's no guarantee this is the case.

• Well, if you bought an app and then the app stopped working, wouldn’t you be entitled to a refund?

• @EyeOhEss said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

Hm... it’s like there’s a need for a player that does both audio and video from many different sources.

Personally I just wish for a browser function in Tube AU. You mentioned it being there already but removed/hidden cos it only worked with 50% of sites/streams. So the work’s mostly already done I guess and a shame to go to waste?
    Just bury it in settings options and people will be happy to take their chances ;)

@EyeOhEss @Blue_Mangoo this is a good suggestion too (WebAU) . I think the dev said there were issues though so Dropbox can be a first step into the process.

• @AudioGus Fair enough, I stay pretty much in the "fundamental" hip hop lane, occasionally dabble in house. So my tracks rarely require more than flipping a single sample source and adding some drum sounds/effects. I can see where pitching in AudioShare would be useful, tho... but I'd probably prefer the dev spend his time and resources on porting those damn aufx effects to AU already :)

• edited July 2019

@Blue_Mangoo cheers for your feedback/Dropbox. It would be a true “game changer”. Those are 2 words I refrain from using but have to in this suggestion. Saying that though Tube AU is worth the price & would happily pay £10plus for a Dropbox version

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Well, if you bought an app and then the app stopped working, wouldn’t you be entitled to a refund?

Only up to 14 days after purchase.