Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New AU3 plugin: Tube AU - Play YouTube videos inside of audio unit hosts

Comments

• this app made me to update my ipad to the latest ios12. B)

• @gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

This is so coooooool ...no issues at all with Background Audio etc in bm3 as bm3 contains all the windows. Perfect @Blue_Mangoo thank you this is a beatmakers dream :)

This is super convenient but you're not bothered by the YT sound quality and compression algorithms already applied? I can see it for sound design and film/TV dialogue but for breaks I'm not so sure.

@gusgranite nope not bothered at all. I like my beats sounding crusty and @ucked up Gritty - I plan to travel a lot too. You can only take a few vinyls on the plane..this app is golden

Right on. I find the sound really random on YT as it is user uploads (vs the streaming services). Depends on what you're after though like you say.

Oh and hi @ucked. Welcome to the forum! :wink:

@gusgranite i wrote the “@ucked” up cos I don’t want to swear haha No new forum member Saying that though its a cool name

• @stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

This is so coooooool ...no issues at all with Background Audio etc in bm3 as bm3 contains all the windows. Perfect @Blue_Mangoo thank you this is a beatmakers dream :)

This is super convenient but you're not bothered by the YT sound quality and compression algorithms already applied? I can see it for sound design and film/TV dialogue but for breaks I'm not so sure.

@gusgranite nope not bothered at all. I like my beats sounding crusty and @ucked up Gritty - I plan to travel a lot too. You can only take a few vinyls on the plane..this app is golden

Right on. I find the sound really random on YT as it is user uploads (vs the streaming services). Depends on what you're after though like you say.

@gusgranite i wrote the “@ucked” up cos I don’t want to swear haha No new forum member Saying that though its a cool name

Just my poor attempt at a joke... :smiley:

• @gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

your shit got fucked up!

• @AudioGus said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

your shit got fucked up!

@gusgranite @AudioGus@uck this @hit” haha :) no swearing only on ucking Sundays

• @stormbeats said:

@AudioGus said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

your shit got fucked up!

@gusgranite @AudioGus@uck this @hit” haha :) no swearing only on ucking Sundays

All right, I'll play. Bourbon still ok?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Soundscaper said:
    What a curious country you coding characters inhabit ...making something and then letting the market work out what on earth it could be good for ... it's probably how the wheel started.

Indeed. All of the apps we have built until now have originated from my personal idea of what the market should want. But this is the first app where the idea and design came from another member of our team, who is a coder, as you correctly surmised. So far we are very pleased with the result. (Technically I was also trained as a coder but I spend most of my time solving equations or drawing graphics, not coding.)

Sorry for the OT interjection: perhaps you would consider tackling an IR convolution AUv3 (for reverb and cabinet emulation, etc). There currently isn't such a thing. There are a few apps (like Altispace and Fiddlicator) that do it but no AUs.

It seems right up your alley.

• @stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

That's the charm of sampling, right? :) Why else do people sample vinyl.

• edited July 2019

Does the play start/stop sync with AUM's playhead? ie. if you hit play and are play/recording on another AUM channel along with picture... then drop that recorded AUM soundtrack back to the same video but in Lumafusion... would it be in perfect sync?

Can you ONLY use a YouTube hosted video? Or, can you load up a video from your device camera roll?

There are a lot of posts about this potentially getting pulled by Apple. I don't want to spend $10 on an app that might get pulled, but why would Apple pull it if they've already approved it for sale? I would think if it passed approval it's all good to go. Not so?

• Man this is tight. This app finally got me to open up AudioDamage Enso and figure that app out for once haha.
    5 minutes later I’m looping up a zapp break in AUM. Love it.

• sigh. if this lasts for a few months I may just get a data plan.

• @nondes said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

Well I’m no sampling snob and believe in getting whatever sounds good to you, but if I have a choice of getting a Bob James break from vinyl vs a low bitrate MP3 that’s been uploaded to YT and then super compressed for volume levelling then I’m gonna take the vinyl for sure. I think @stormbeats has been doing this longer than I have, though, so I reckon he knows what’s what and I’m good with that. 🙂

• @espiegel123 said:
    Sorry for the OT interjection: perhaps you would consider tackling an IR convolution AUv3 (for reverb and cabinet emulation, etc).

There was one in beta but it got pulled back probably due to feed back from guitar players. I was hoping it
    would make the cut. I liked one of the cabinets now that I have bought the IAA iConvolver and tried IAA Fiddlicator and uploaded IR's into Altispce I can see that we need something similar sonically. I'm sure we'll see one this year. The Free Fiddlicator loaded with free IR's is amazing. If you don't get IR's test it soon. It creates realistic sounding instruments from thin sources.

My money's on 4Pockets at this point. Auria Pro probably loads IR's too. Any other DAW's have that feature?

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Sorry for the OT interjection: perhaps you would consider tackling an IR convolution AUv3 (for reverb and cabinet emulation, etc).

There was one in beta but it got pulled back probably due to feed back from guitar players. I was hoping it
    would make the cut. I liked one of the cabinets now that I have bought the IAA iConvolver and tried IAA Fiddlicator and uploaded IR's into Altispce I can see that we need something similar sonically. I'm sure we'll see one this year. The Free Fiddlicator loaded with free IR's is amazing. If you don't get IR's test it soon. It creates realistic sounding instruments from thin sources.

My money's on 4Pockets at this point. Auria Pro probably loads IR's too. Any other DAW's have that feature?

• edited July 2019

@Blue_Mangoo nice share thx! If this works as Im hoping it would really clear up my current sampling work flow:
    Iphone (playing youtube) audio out to audio interface input which is connected to ipad for recording clips....super helpful👍🏼

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

(Technically I was also trained as a coder but I spend most of my time solving equations or drawing graphics, not coding.)

I'm thinking decent coders - folks with imagination - are educated rather than trained... dreadful word, dreadful concept, dreadful process.

Your apps are both sonically and visually most elegant - so I suspect are your equations.

• Bought. Super useful. My question is... is it possible to enable background audio in the code if you have a YT subscription since that’s what the subscription gives you?

• @DCJ said:
    Bought. Super useful. My question is... is it possible to enable background audio in the code if you have a YT subscription since that’s what the subscription gives you?

Very feasonable question there.

• hey, I'm just found this Web AU in this video:

Here is screenshot at 0:15, the App: "Web AU"
    http://i.imgur.com/48reu0C.png

hope they will release this app soon ?

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

@gusgranite said:

@nondes said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

Well I’m no sampling snob and believe in getting whatever sounds good to you, but if I have a choice of getting a Bob James break from vinyl vs a low bitrate MP3 that’s been uploaded to YT and then super compressed for volume levelling then I’m gonna take the vinyl for sure. I think @stormbeats has been doing this longer than I have, though, so I reckon he knows what’s what and I’m good with that. 🙂

@gusgranite you make some valid points. One thing though..youtube has playback options.
    240/360/480/720 etc etc This is way better quality than mp3. True there is compression via youtube but I then saturate the youtube stuff with plugins like Electrogene and mess about with the Bitrates with Bitcrush & Decimate it sounds like dusty vinyl or tape giving that lofi grunge.
    I never sample from mp3 though that format is so thin. :)
    This Tube AU is ace. Try it .

• @stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:
    @Blue_Mangoo This Tube AU works perfect in bm3 :) imagine having a dropbox version...

You want an audio unit that plays video from your Dropbox account? Could you tell us more about how that would be useful? We will consider doing other plugins that play video when we have a feel for what people need

@Blue_Mangoo thanks for reply. Ive uploaded nearly my entire record crates i use for sampling into dropbox. Means I can be anywhere in the world creating beats. To be able to sample direct into bm3 etc via dropbox would be ace.

I see. Those are audio files? In .wav format?

• edited July 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Soundscaper said:
    What a curious country you coding characters inhabit ...making something and then letting the market work out what on earth it could be good for ... it's probably how the wheel started.

Indeed. All of the apps we have built until now have originated from my personal idea of what the market should want. But this is the first app where the idea and design came from another member of our team, who is a coder, as you correctly surmised. So far we are very pleased with the result. (Technically I was also trained as a coder but I spend most of my time solving equations or drawing graphics, not coding.)

Sorry for the OT interjection: perhaps you would consider tackling an IR convolution AUv3 (for reverb and cabinet emulation, etc). There currently isn't such a thing. There are a few apps (like Altispace and Fiddlicator) that do it but no AUs.

It seems right up your alley.

That IS right up our alley. It didn't occur to me because I thought it was so obvious that it must have been done three times already. I'll put it on the list. Thanks for the suggestion.

... But I'm lazy to go looking for impulse responses. Do you have any suggestions about where to get good ones that we could include in the app? Convolution reverb is pretty easy to implement because the method is well documented. The hard part is getting a good collection of IR's. That's where AltiVerb really shines.

• @Hyatha said:
    hey, I'm just found this Web AU in this video:

Here is screenshot at 0:15, the App: "Web AU"
    http://i.imgur.com/48reu0C.png

hope they will release this app soon ?

Hahaha... I didn't realize that was in the video. That is the web browser AU we were testing earlier. It works... but only on some sites. Tube AU is its much more reliable younger brother.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

It doesn't work with my audio device, only the ipad.

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll post a note to the lead dev to work on fixing it.

... but how does the plugin know the audio is going out to an external interface? The plugin only connects to the host app. It’s the host app that handles the audio interface connection. Any ideas? Perhaps the interface is at a different sample rate and the plugin gets jammed up when you switch over?

YT audio works on my audio device normally , also i use AUM which runs at my audio device sample rate, when i open tube AU in Aum the audio doesn’t work so i assume tube au is not adearing to host sample rate. You are a master on this (im being serious) type of thing.

I have some audio interfaces lying around. I’ll check it out when I get back to work. I was just checking to see if you had any clues. Thanks again.

Did you manage to check if Tube AU has audio device support?

• @DCJ said:
    Bought. Super useful. My question is... is it possible to enable background audio in the code if you have a YT subscription since that’s what the subscription gives you?

No. Not currently. Sorry. That would make sense though.

• I understand there must have been a heap of time involved in developing this app and it speeds up the work flow tremendously not having to jump between iOS , windows , phone and tablet so SUPERB app for convenience of sampling but there is a relatively easy work around to download n sample from YouTube using a couple of free bits of software , hence feel the price is very steep 😕 , price it accordingly and I would think you’ll get far more sales because it’s so handy 😁 . I’ll be getting it if they do 🤞😁

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:
    @Blue_Mangoo This Tube AU works perfect in bm3 :) imagine having a dropbox version...

You want an audio unit that plays video from your Dropbox account? Could you tell us more about how that would be useful? We will consider doing other plugins that play video when we have a feel for what people need

@Blue_Mangoo thanks for reply. Ive uploaded nearly my entire record crates i use for sampling into dropbox. Means I can be anywhere in the world creating beats. To be able to sample direct into bm3 etc via dropbox would be ace.

I see. Those are audio files? In .wav format?

@Blue_Mangoo hi some are wav some are .mp4