Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New AU3 plugin: Tube AU - Play YouTube videos inside of audio unit hosts

Comments

• @Eye0sStudios said:
    So bought it. But anytime I try and open a video that is longer then 2-3 hours it crashes AUM. I was looking at relaxing sound videos like rain and thunderstorm. Anything over about 2 hours it kills AUM? Any thoughts?

Sounds like it’s Running out of RAM. We will try to resolve it. In order to make this work, we had to use a method for playing the video that differs from the way it’s normally done. Hopefully we can patch it to make the longer ones play without crashing.

• @Blue_Mangoo
    Thanks. I appreciate the work.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@stormbeats said:
    @EyeOhEss “thunderstorm” relaxing? :)

Sorry, not sure what that means? Maybe tagged wrong forum member? :)

You and I have close to same. They tag you a lot. Sorry man.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@stormbeats said:

@EyeOhEss i stand corrected. My bad

• Brought it works well in AUM feeding into AudioShare for file recording. Also tried the same in Audiobus works ok. Long videos don’t play as mentioned earlier due to RAM. Hope @Blue_Mangoo have backup plan if it does get pulled.

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@marmakin said:
    Yes awesome finally someone did it!! Amazing! 😎

Does anyone know for sure that it can indeed be sampled by another auv3? Maybe Enso could capture the audio?

Also what happens if Apple does pull it from the store, do already purchased copies keep working?

Not sure.. but if Apple pulled it from the store wouldn’t that be kind of like a product recall? so refunds issued automatically?

I dont think it works that way. Also the most likely ‘game over’ is that youtube routinely switches up it’s server side stuff which cripples nice things like this. So many other downloader apps and browser addons have died for m... friends on mine.

Let’s hope they don’t change it too frequently. Because we are depending on youtube to keep things organised in a certain way on their side. We can hopefully catch up if something changes but we wouldn’t want to be playing that game constantly.

In the meanwhile... lots of sampling ahead this weekend. ;)

What apps/config/workflow you thinking? I’m pretty sure this’ll be great with Spacecraft, but lots of stuff I was excited to use it with are IAA..which’ll kind of Work but worklfow will kind of suck/limit things. Having to press record first in the IAA then go back to a AUM and so on....Interested to hear what apps people are planning to sample in to (for both creative (iDensity, ReSlice etc) and also just standard sampling sessions gathering files).

Ah, actually....I’d been thinking about phone options only... Missing the obvious one for gathering samples...Beatmaker 3! Looks like iPad only this weekend ;)

I find it better to use AUM’s built in recording (record enable the track TubeU is on) saving a few minutes of sample fodder , then setting up another track with aum file player to loop the recorded audio.

• @Blue_Mangoo I am sooooo loving this app! Recording some of those many royalty free drum backing tracks from YT in AUM and trimming them perfectly in Audioshare, then importing it into Cubase to record my own guitar and bass tracks on top.

So incredibly useful to finally have full control over those free backing tracks. I am not good at programming drums so this is super useful for me, and that is exactly what those backing tracks were made for. I am so hoping you guys can keep this AU alive and working 🤟🤩🎸👍

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Just think what madlib could do with this.

While this thread was going, he did an anthology.

• @bounce said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Looks like he made an app too...

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/mad-libs/id326885152

• @AudioGus said:

@bounce said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Looks like he made an app too...

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/mad-libs/id326885152

😂😂😂

• Love those. The ten year old kid in me likes his adult mad libs too https://apps.apple.com/us/app/adult-mad-libs/id579361967

This app here in the OP is cool, hope it’s functional for a while knowing how Youtube is. Sometimes I wish there was a “sort by least views” search for YouTube. Is that possible with their API?

Btw @AudioGus , tell your playlist friend that he’s a fine fella.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@Eye0sStudios said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@stormbeats said:

You and I have close to same. They tag you a lot. Sorry man.

Haha :) weird thing was that I was literally JUST talking to someone about thunderstorms being my favourite thing to sleep to, 5 minutes before I looked at the forum. Then saw that post and was spooked ;)

A quick derail, but I sleep to rain/thunderstorms every night and I had to make sure you know of the NatureSpace app. Highest quality tstorm recordings I've ever heard. You get 6 or so tracks as proof to start out with, then you can buy bundles/individual tracks as you see fit.

No, I don't work for Naturespace, I just strongly believe you'll thank me if you're unaware of it.

• Maybe I'm naive (probably so), but I just can't believe that it would be illegal to BG play YouTube. That you can't in the native iOS app without paying $13 a month is one of the biggest iOS scams and my number 1 issue with the OS.

By the way, the free Dolphin browser will do it. Start playing your video, go to homescreen, swipe up, and hit play.

Anyway, that's it for me derailing this thread. I'm sorry and I hope this app can survive, with or without BG play.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    audio stops when I leave AUM :( so no Koala or any other IAA. At least not without clunking up the regular sampling workflow.

Should be useful for sampling in to other au apps still though.

can’t you host Koala in aum then that way you wouldn’t have to leave Aum.

• @Blue_Mangoo This Tube AU works perfect in bm3 :) imagine having a dropbox version...

• A simple search for those who like a little random with their porridge https://www.google.com/search?q=random+youtube+video&rlz=1C9BKJA_enCA814CA814&oq=random+y

• @stormbeats said:
    @Blue_Mangoo This Tube AU works perfect in bm3 :) imagine having a dropbox version...

You want an audio unit that plays video from your Dropbox account? Could you tell us more about how that would be useful? We will consider doing other plugins that play video when we have a feel for what people need

• @oat_phipps said:

A quick derail, but I sleep to rain/thunderstorms every night and I had to make sure you know of the NatureSpace app. Highest quality tstorm recordings I've ever heard. You get 6 or so tracks as proof to start out with, then you can buy bundles/individual tracks as you see fit.

Sorry for the additional derail but had to +1 this! I don’t use any other nature or meditation apps but Naturespace is like an incredible audiophile experience.

• Doesn’t seem to work on slow internet connections (I’m in a rural area, stuck with satellite internet) - got it to play once, but rest of the time it says audio engine is broke/disabled. Regular YT through safari or YT app usually works, but has to buffer for a little bit first.
    Works well through my 4g cell phone hotspot though.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@stormbeats said:
    @Blue_Mangoo This Tube AU works perfect in bm3 :) imagine having a dropbox version...

You want an audio unit that plays video from your Dropbox account? Could you tell us more about how that would be useful? We will consider doing other plugins that play video when we have a feel for what people need

@Blue_Mangoo thanks for reply. Ive uploaded nearly my entire record crates i use for sampling into dropbox. Means I can be anywhere in the world creating beats. To be able to sample direct into bm3 etc via dropbox would be ace.

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

@Eye0sStudios said:
    So bought it. But anytime I try and open a video that is longer then 2-3 hours it crashes AUM. I was looking at relaxing sound videos like rain and thunderstorm. Anything over about 2 hours it kills AUM? Any thoughts?

Loops are your friend for extended audio from shorter audio segments.

AUv3 has limits and this use case problems tests those limits as the video is downloaded and stored in RAM. But it can also stress the code and generate a bug in AUM.

Find something shorter and record the audio into a wave file in AUM. Play that wave file in a "file player" in AUM and loop the file player.

The use case for this app is not having to download that video over and over and over when you want "thunder" or "rain". There's a lot of audio content in YouTube and getting it once is empowering. Then you can treat it like audio content and not streamed video. That's worth $10 and tests the limits of our imaginations what we might do with this power. Personally I'd just like to EQ @thesoundtestroom to lower the excitement level to fresh-frozen beans: roll off the highs and add a some Magic Death Eye to bring out the Dead in the audio. Then maybe place the audio in a padded cell using Pro-R. Robotic filtering might prove useful to get that early PC Voice sound. I will have control of the damn audio for once.

Of course, some will play YouTube video while they create elaborate setup in the plumbing DAW's like ApeMatrix (it can take a while to map every AU parameter in some AUv3's). And @daveypoo has some good ApeMatrix stuff as I recall on YouTube.

If it works in BM3... Audio Dabbler has some good beat maker sampling advice too.

• This is so coooooool ...no issues at all with Background Audio etc in bm3 as bm3 contains all the windows. Perfect @Blue_Mangoo thank you this is a beatmakers dream :)

• @stormbeats said:
    This is so coooooool ...no issues at all with Background Audio etc in bm3

Nice.

This could be good from finding that interesting spoken word segment you want to blend into an
    ambient project to give it extra mystery too.

• @stormbeats said:

This is so coooooool ...no issues at all with Background Audio etc in bm3 as bm3 contains all the windows. Perfect @Blue_Mangoo thank you this is a beatmakers dream :)

This is super convenient but you're not bothered by the YT sound quality and compression algorithms already applied? I can see it for sound design and film/TV dialogue but for breaks I'm not so sure.

• edited July 2019

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

This is so coooooool ...no issues at all with Background Audio etc in bm3 as bm3 contains all the windows. Perfect @Blue_Mangoo thank you this is a beatmakers dream :)

This is super convenient but you're not bothered by the YT sound quality and compression algorithms already applied? I can see it for sound design and film/TV dialogue but for breaks I'm not so sure.

@gusgranite nope not bothered at all. I like my beats sounding crusty and @ucked up Gritty - I plan to travel a lot too. You can only take a few vinyls on the plane..this app is golden

• edited July 2019

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite nope not bothered at all. I like my beats sounding crusty and @ucked up Gritty.

Apologies everyone for the double post here. My bad

• @stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite nope not bothered at all. I like my beats sounding crusty and @ucked up Gritty - I plan to travel a lot too. You can only take a few vinyls on the plane..this app is golden

Right on. I find the sound really random on YT as it is user uploads (vs the streaming services). Depends on what you're after though like you say.

Oh and hi @ucked. Welcome to the forum! :wink: