Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New AU3 plugin: Tube AU - Play YouTube videos inside of audio unit hosts

Comments

• @AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    BM3 is def the move here; really simple to sample and chop. But not sure the AU allows me to do anything BTime didn't already in BM3?

BTime required you to process the original video, essentially it downloaded it I think.

True, but also allowed looping to start and end markers. Anything similar here?

• @Sinthemau said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@Dutchee said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Dutchee said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    I would like to know what people do with it. Because I myself am not sure what the use cases are.

I think what everyone should do is be very quiet about it, because i have a feeling this app is going to get pulled from the store or blocked in some way by Youtube very soon once they find out about its existence... awesome app though! I instantly had to get it.

Is it possible to make the audio continue to play in the background like the usual background audio? Currently the video and audio stop playing once the host is put to the background. Probably very complicated...?

Complicated... I’m not sure yet. But from what @EyeOhEss said above, perhaps illegal, since you’re supposed to pay YouTube for that privilege.

EyeOhEss is right about that being a subscription feature. Maybe better to not do that then and push our luck too much. I already like it a lot the way it works right now and i would hate seeing the app getting pulled for that background audio reason or you guys getting sued.

Are there any iOS browsers that can run YouTube in background I wonder? If there’s precedent then it should be ok...

Yes there is: Kiwi Brower (Android)...Pity it was retired some months ago and then re-released only after stripping the YT background audio. So....Think about it :s

It sounds like we shouldn’t attempt to do background audio

• edited July 2019

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    BM3 is def the move here; really simple to sample and chop. But not sure the AU allows me to do anything BTime didn't already in BM3?

BTime required you to process the original video, essentially it downloaded it I think.

True, but also allowed looping to start and end markers. Anything similar here?

Yah BTime is cool. It has pitch/speed change too doesnt it or am I thinking of another?

Havent spent much time in this one but I think it is straight up play.

Just in Firefox using an addon downloader right now... err I mean, I am watching my friend who is.

By the way, here is a great ‘rare samples’ (likely to not be rare) playlist he is pilfering for BM3...

• I’d be more interested in this if you could play local videos and could have the video synced to the transport, I could really use this for work. :)
    I do think it’s a potential target for being pulled by YouTube as they might think main audience is probably those who want to breach copyright etc ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

@Carnbot said:
    I’d be more interested in this if you could play local videos and could have the video synced to the transport, I could really use this for work. :)
    I do think it’s a potential target for being pulled by YouTube as they might think main audience is probably those who want to breach copyright etc ;)

What? No! I just love youtube so much I want to see four times the ads, all at once, for real.

• edited July 2019

@Carnbot said:
    I’d be more interested in this if you could play local videos and could have the video synced to the transport, I could really use this for work. :)

This sounds like a useful idea for another plugin. When you say local videos, are you referring to the iTunes library or videos in the photos folder or to videos in the files section of iOS?

Also, what is the use case of this for your work?

• edited July 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Carnbot said:

This sounds like a useful idea for another plugin. When you say local videos, are you referring to the iTunes library or videos in the photos folder or to videos in the files section of iOS?

Yes. ;)

• Why limit it to Youtube when there are so many other streaming services out there!?

• @AudioGus said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Carnbot said:

Yes. ;)

I’m not sure about the iTunes library but the other two are probably doable.

• edited July 2019

How about this other plugin lets you set markers on the video and then trigger the location via midi? What if it had looping? ping pong? Etc? Airplay? Background fullscreen record?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Carnbot said:

Videos on the iPad eg Files apps local folders, not iTunes library.
    I do lots of audio visual work so that would be great for experimenting in AUM with edits etc. :)

• 2nd app: midi cc to control hue shift etc... ?

• @Carnbot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Carnbot said:

Videos on the iPad eg Files apps local folders, not iTunes library.
    I do lots of audio visual work so that would be great for experimenting in AUM with edits etc. :)

Sign me up. Exactly this.

• @AudioGus said:
    How about this other plugin lets you set markers on the video and then trigger the location via midi? What if it had looping? ping pong? Etc?

Yes, yes to this :)

• @Samu said:
    Why limit it to Youtube when there are so many other streaming services out there!?

Because making it work on just one of them was difficult. We started out trying to make a full web browser in the audio unit plugin. It worked sometimes but it was so unpredictable; worked on some websites and not others; even on one website it would play some media and not others. We were imagining the nightmare that would be our customer support when we release an app that might or might not work with your website of choice.

• @AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Gentlemen, whatever else may transpire with this new friend, let us talk no more of older friends we no longer talk of.

• @AudioGus said:
    How about this other plugin lets you set markers on the video and then trigger the location via midi? What if it had looping? ping pong? Etc? Airplay? Background fullscreen record?

The markers and looping and midi sound doable. Not sure about the airplay and background fullscreen

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Samu said:
    Why limit it to Youtube when there are so many other streaming services out there!?

Because making it work on just one of them was difficult. We started out trying to make a full web browser in the audio unit plugin. It worked sometimes but it was so unpredictable; worked on some websites and not others; even on one website it would play some media and not others. We were imagining the nightmare that would be our customer support when we release an app that might or might not work with your website of choice.

Ok, I was mainly thinking of ‘sampling web-radio’ but I guess I’ll keep on using ström as IAA for that purpose.

• This is a great idea

• @EyeOhEss said:

@Samu said:

@Blue_Mangoo Samu has a great point here. So many other places that stream useful stuff...and that are also far less likely to lawyer up or kill the function....so if YouTube stopped working for whatever reason, at least people that bought the app could still stream from those other sources....
    A super basic browser search feature would be amazing, if thats feasible and doesn’t require a total code rewrite etc.

Looks like we were both replying to @Samu at the same time. See my post about 3 posts up.

• @AudioGus said:

This is holy Grail stuff right here.

• @Samu said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Samu said:

Ok, I was mainly thinking of ‘sampling web-radio’ but I guess I’ll keep on using ström as IAA for that purpose.

Hm... web radio is probably doable. But Does it always have the same audio format? The app you are currently using works well for all sites? Sorry I don’t know how web radio works.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@AudioGus said:

The markers and looping and midi sound doable. Not sure about the airplay and background fullscreen

Too bad it couldn't loop the video.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@AudioGus said:

Well we could always send midi from one ipad to the other and the other ipad is just fullscreen video and we can use airplay or the screen capture in the OS.

• @blue-Mangoo If you brought out a Radio AU that had a similar layout and live streamed the same way Plugin Boutiques Radio works our be first in line at the App Store.

• Love the idea of this, but my guess is there will be blocks from yt, so regular tweaks required.