Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New AU3 plugin: Tube AU - Play YouTube videos inside of audio unit hosts

Comments

• @RajahP said:
    5G will turn it into a great recording studio from anywhere in the world.. Imagine a vocalist from Japan.. with no latency.. Will be like she is in a vocal booth.. 20 feet away in your studio..

When we were testing, we tried a YouTube livestream, and it worked. But with about 10 second delay. So my dream of mixing a live band via YouTube streaming is still not realised.

• edited July 2019

So you have to keep at least one au window open at all times or audio stops as far as i can tell.

• @AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Wow its here! Dude got a crafty price there. Hope he believes in black Friday 😉

Wait! How much did I just pay??

11 euro if you are in EU

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@RajahP said:
    5G will turn it into a great recording studio from anywhere in the world.. Imagine a vocalist from Japan.. with no latency.. Will be like she is in a vocal booth.. 20 feet away in your studio..

When we were testing, we tried a YouTube livestream, and it worked. But with about 10 second delay. So my dream of mixing a live band via YouTube streaming is still not realised.

Not much talk here on the magic of 5G.. The little I know of it (0 Latency), this is the future..

• @RajahP said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RajahP said:

Not much talk here on the magic of 5G.. The little I know of it (0 Latency), this is the future..

Most of the delay seems to come from YouTube processing rather than from internet latency.

• @Blue_Mangoo

It doesn't work with my audio device, only the ipad.

• Yes awesome finally someone did it!! Amazing! 😎

Does anyone know for sure that it can indeed be sampled by another auv3? Maybe Enso could capture the audio?

Also what happens if Apple does pull it from the store, do already purchased copies keep working?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@RajahP said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RajahP said:

Most of the delay seems to come from YouTube processing rather than from internet latency.

Ok..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

@[Deleted User] said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll post a note to the lead dev to work on fixing it.

... but how does the plugin know the audio is going out to an external interface? The plugin only connects to the host app. It’s the host app that handles the audio interface connection. Any ideas? Perhaps the interface is at a different sample rate and the plugin gets jammed up when you switch over?

• @EyeOhEss said:

@marmakin said:
    Yes awesome finally someone did it!! Amazing! 😎

Does anyone know for sure that it can indeed be sampled by another auv3? Maybe Enso could capture the audio?

Also what happens if Apple does pull it from the store, do already purchased copies keep working?

Not sure.. but if Apple pulled it from the store wouldn’t that be kind of like a product recall? so refunds issued automatically?

I dont think it works that way. Also the most likely ‘game over’ is that youtube routinely switches up it’s server side stuff which cripples nice things like this. So many other downloader apps and browser addons have died for m... friends on mine.

• @AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@marmakin said:

Not sure.. but if Apple pulled it from the store wouldn’t that be kind of like a product recall? so refunds issued automatically?

I dont think it works that way. Also the most likely ‘game over’ is that youtube routinely switches up it’s server side stuff which cripples nice things like this. So many other downloader apps and browser addons have died for m... friends on mine.

Let’s hope they don’t change it too frequently. Because we are depending on youtube to keep things organised in a certain way on their side. We can hopefully catch up if something changes but we wouldn’t want to be playing that game constantly.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll post a note to the lead dev to work on fixing it.

... but how does the plugin know the audio is going out to an external interface? The plugin only connects to the host app. It’s the host app that handles the audio interface connection. Any ideas? Perhaps the interface is at a different sample rate and the plugin gets jammed up when you switch over?

YT audio works on my audio device normally , also i use AUM which runs at my audio device sample rate, when i open tube AU in Aum the audio doesn’t work so i assume tube au is not adearing to host sample rate. You are a master on this (im being serious) type of thing.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@marmakin said:

Let’s hope they don’t change it too frequently. Because we are depending on youtube to keep things organised in a certain way on their side. We can hopefully catch up if something changes but we wouldn’t want to be playing that game constantly.

In the meanwhile... lots of sampling ahead this weekend. ;)

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@marmakin said:

In the meanwhile... lots of sampling ahead this weekend. ;)

What apps/config/workflow you thinking? I’m pretty sure this’ll be great with Spacecraft, but lots of stuff I was excited to use it with are IAA..which’ll kind of Work but worklfow will kind of suck/limit things. Having to press record first in the IAA then go back to a AUM and so on....Interested to hear what apps people are planning to sample in to (for both creative (iDensity, ReSlice etc) and also just standard sampling sessions gathering files).

Ah, actually....I’d been thinking about phone options only... Missing the obvious one for gathering samples...Beatmaker 3! Looks like iPad only this weekend ;)

Oh yah, BM3 tis the king!

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Anyone list/recommend AUs that record audio and allow saving of files that can be easily flipped around in Files app? I think Spacecraft does? Any pad samplers or basic audio recorders similar to AudioShare?

AudioLayer

Enso

Spacecraft

• edited July 2019
  • @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Dutchee said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    I would like to know what people do with it. Because I myself am not sure what the use cases are.

I think what everyone should do is be very quiet about it, because i have a feeling this app is going to get pulled from the store or blocked in some way by Youtube very soon once they find out about its existence... awesome app though! I instantly had to get it.

Is it possible to make the audio continue to play in the background like the usual background audio? Currently the video and audio stop playing once the host is put to the background. Probably very complicated...?

Complicated... I’m not sure yet. But from what @EyeOhEss said above, perhaps illegal, since you’re supposed to pay YouTube for that privilege.

EyeOhEss is right about that being a subscription feature. Maybe better to not do that then and push our luck too much. I already like it a lot the way it works right now and i would hate seeing the app getting pulled for that background audio reason or you guys getting sued.

• edited July 2019
  • So far I can confirm that it’s working great for sampling with Enso and Spacecraft (exceptionally trippy haha) in AUM and AB.

You can use AB to get the audio over to Cubasis if you use the AB transport only, which is a pretty good workaround (since without background audio Cubasis is now the audio source when it’s running in the foreground).

Having a great time with this great new app 😎

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

YT audio works on my audio device normally , also i use AUM which runs at my audio device sample rate, when i open tube AU in Aum the audio doesn’t work so i assume tube au is not adearing to host sample rate. You are a master on this (im being serious) type of thing.

I have some audio interfaces lying around. I’ll check it out when I get back to work. I was just checking to see if you had any clues. Thanks again.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    audio stops when I leave AUM :( so no Koala or any other IAA.

Should be useful for sampling in to other au apps still though.

I’ll talk to the lead dev and see if he can arrange background playing

Awesome :) but I think it might be hard to get around... Background audio is one of the ‘perks’ for paying subscription for YouTube so I’m not sure there’ll be a way round it...

That means that making it work could put us on the wrong side of the law...?

I don't mean to ruin the party, but I think even without background audio feature you are already on the wrong side.
    I'm surprised that it passed in the first place and pretty sure it'll be pulled soon, or patched wherever it has to be...
    Hope I'm wrong though, it would be nice to be able to sample from YT.

• Im guessing the ads still kick in?

• @Dutchee said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Dutchee said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    I would like to know what people do with it. Because I myself am not sure what the use cases are.

I think what everyone should do is be very quiet about it, because i have a feeling this app is going to get pulled from the store or blocked in some way by Youtube very soon once they find out about its existence... awesome app though! I instantly had to get it.

Is it possible to make the audio continue to play in the background like the usual background audio? Currently the video and audio stop playing once the host is put to the background. Probably very complicated...?

Complicated... I’m not sure yet. But from what @EyeOhEss said above, perhaps illegal, since you’re supposed to pay YouTube for that privilege.

EyeOhEss is right about that being a subscription feature. Maybe better to not do that then and push our luck too much. I already like it a lot the way it works right now and i would hate seeing the app getting pulled for that background audio reason or you guys getting sued.

Yes, there is probably a line somewhere that we shouldn’t cross in terms of functionality that wasn’t intended by YouTube. The fact that this allows sampling is already outside their intended use case but since it’s so easy to do that on windows PC’s, I hope this app is on the clean side of the rules by virtue of it not enabling anything that was previously impossible. It’s just bringing iOS up to par with what desktop OS can already do.

• BM3 is def the move here; really simple to sample and chop. But not sure the AU allows me to do anything BTime didn't already in BM3?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    BM3 is def the move here; really simple to sample and chop. But not sure the AU allows me to do anything BTime didn't already in BM3?

BTime required you to process the original video, essentially it downloaded it I think.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@Dutchee said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Dutchee said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Are there any iOS browsers that can run YouTube in background I wonder? If there’s precedent then it should be ok...

Yes there is: Kiwi Brower (Android)...Pity it was retired some months ago and then re-released only after stripping the YT background audio. So....Think about it :s