Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Keeping it SIMPLE with kids… GarageBand or Gadget

2»

Comments

• (Noting all positive reasons above)

...How about both?

• @rarien said:
    (Noting all positive reasons above)

...How about both?

Mostly because it would be outside their zone of proximal development, i.e. what students can do alone vs with supervision.

More importantly, maybe, is that it’s a whole lot easier to teach one thing than two.

• My kids have their own iPads, and with fam sharing they have access to quite a few apps:. They both took to gb immediately, and still prefer it over most other apps

• @glynn_pelton said:
    My kids have their own iPads, and with fam sharing they have access to quite a few apps:. They both took to gb immediately, and still prefer it over most other apps

Not all children are the same.
    By challenging them with something different, you might find hidden talents that are different from the parents'. B)

Parents should take lots of decisions for the child's better but not when it comes to creativity IMHO.

• @rarien said:

...How about both?

More apps or better gear doesn't mean we can make better music (if we are not good at making good music yet).

More apps => more distraction from learning the core subject.

A single app will force them to focus and learn quickly.

Apple made GB kid-friendly and layman-friendly and fun to use so they are not overwhelmed. The first tool in learning a new subject should be easy to use; otherwise, it could frustrate them and make them lose interest.

They can always learn to use advanced tools later - there is a time for that.

• @MobileMusic said:

@rarien said:

...How about both?

More apps or better gear doesn't mean we can make better music (if we are not good at making good music yet).

Apple made GB kid-friendly and layman-friendly and fun to use so they are not overwhelmed. The first tool in learning a new subject should be easy to use; otherwise, it could frustrate them and make them lose interest.

It shouldn't be overlooked that GB is a very deep and flexible app--deeper and better for more styles of music and recording than Gadget. I say this as someone that uses Gadget quite a bit and rarely uses GB but that is because I have a host of other apps (DAWs, AUM, etc)

There is no single app that comes close in terms of the breadth of possibilities that GB offers on iOS, and it is easy to learn to boot.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MobileMusic said:

@rarien said:

...How about both?

It shouldn't be overlooked that GB is a very deep and flexible app--deeper and better for more styles of music and recording than Gadget. I say this as someone that uses Gadget quite a bit and rarely uses GB but that is because I have a host of other apps (DAWs, AUM, etc)

There is no single app that comes close in terms of the breadth of possibilities that GB offers on iOS, and it is easy to learn to boot.

GB is definitely one of the very few DAWs supporting both a pattern-based and a linear workflow.

• edited July 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@MobileMusic said:

@rarien said:

...How about both?

I don’t use GB either - I’m Cubasis. But having done an exhaustive course on GB, I’ve seen it’s simplicity, fun factor and power and understood who it is great for - kids, beginners and also advanced users. It’s Smart Instruments, Drums, Drummer, Loops and Live Loops are some of the BEST and easiest on iOS. Alchemy synth is priceless. I wanted to use GB in some of my music videos but it doesn’t have keyboard animations which was a bummer.

Apple could have added more features to it but instead, chose to add more modules like Drummer, Live Loops, Beat Sequencer, FX, etc to it to maintain a good balance of features vs ease-of-use,

Also, for maximum flexibility and range, one should use open systems with AU capabilities rather than closed systems.

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@MobileMusic said:

@rarien said:

...How about both?

GB is definitely one of the very few DAWs supporting both a pattern-based and a linear workflow.

It is so easy to create and use loops in GB.

It’s Key Signature, Sections, Jam Session are powerful.