Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Ah cool, I think I get you. So basically it’s like ‘drag/copy’ clip looping along timeline in daws, except visually there are no clips and you can skip having to drag/copy? Sounds like a nice little workflow option :)

There is an effective visual representation. A looping clip shows the original clip followed by copies of itself, a little smaller in height, spreading off along the timeline.

Linked clips show with an link symbol next to the name.

You should check out the manual. Virtually every detail is laid out in it. It’s more than impressive.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    When you say a looped clip repeats until it hits another clip in same lane, I think maybe we’re talking about different things? Like I was under impression you could maybe set loop region per track, in which case it wouldn’t hit another clip? That track would just keep looping it’s own region? I didn’t mean drag a loop across timeline to repeat it. Or maybe you knew what I meant and I’m just reading your reply wrong?

The only loop region you can set is on the timeline for the entire project. But, you can set a clip to loop indefinitely. So, maybe you have a project loop set at 16 bars, but you have a 1 bar clip. If you set it to loop, then it’ll repeat over the entire 16 bars.

When I say “until it hits another clip in the same lane” what I mean is that looped clip will just keep looping as long as there’s blank space at the place in time where the playhead is. But, if you put in another clip, say at bar 9, the looped clip will cease to loop at bar 9.

So, you could in effect do what you’re saying by setting a clip to loop, then putting an empty clip at the end of the range that you wanted it to loop (corresponding to your idea of “region”.

It’s kind of different than the way you’re looking at it but you’d be surprised how effective it is once you use it once you use it. There are ample tools available to turn something you just quickly threw in there as a loop into a longer sequence to refine.

The other option is simply to make enough linked clips to cover the range that you wanted to “loop”.

Even without some of the stuff I was hoping for, the fact that it’s universal and I finally got a bigger phone last week feels like good timing... been using gr16 in to AUM on phone but gr16 piano roll is super fiddly! And overall it’s just not suited to a lot of jobs. Xequence looks like a great replacement for those things..

Sequencing GR-16 from Xequence is one of my favorite things to do! The two-way trip is really cool too. Sketch out something in GR-16. Record the midi out to Xequence, then refine it in Xequence and turn it point it back at GR-16.

Ah cool, I think I get you. So basically it’s like ‘drag/copy’ clip looping along timeline in daws, except visually there are no clips and you can skip having to drag/copy? Sounds like a nice little workflow option :)

I may give it a try, I'm used to being able to launch clips with a single touch but maybe this is good too, I just hate linear sequencing

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@reasOne said:
    I may give it a try, I'm used to being able to launch clips with a single touch but maybe this is good too, I just hate linear sequencing

If you hate linear sequencing then why bother? Xequence is all about linear sequencing. It has some crossover abilities for looping, but a clip launcher it definitely ain’t.

On the other hand, for $10, having another formidable tool in the shed isn’t a bad thing even if you rarely use it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:
    I don’t think it’ll work very well as a quasi-clip launcher. Ableton style. Probably better off with Beatmaker or Modstep for that?

Or Genome, Stagelight, Infinite Looper, GarageBand...

• @reasOne said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    When you say a looped clip repeats until it hits another clip in same lane, I think maybe we’re talking about different things? Like I was under impression you could maybe set loop region per track, in which case it wouldn’t hit another clip? That track would just keep looping it’s own region? I didn’t mean drag a loop across timeline to repeat it. Or maybe you knew what I meant and I’m just reading your reply wrong?

The only loop region you can set is on the timeline for the entire project. But, you can set a clip to loop indefinitely. So, maybe you have a project loop set at 16 bars, but you have a 1 bar clip. If you set it to loop, then it’ll repeat over the entire 16 bars.

When I say “until it hits another clip in the same lane” what I mean is that looped clip will just keep looping as long as there’s blank space at the place in time where the playhead is. But, if you put in another clip, say at bar 9, the looped clip will cease to loop at bar 9.

So, you could in effect do what you’re saying by setting a clip to loop, then putting an empty clip at the end of the range that you wanted it to loop (corresponding to your idea of “region”.

It’s kind of different than the way you’re looking at it but you’d be surprised how effective it is once you use it once you use it. There are ample tools available to turn something you just quickly threw in there as a loop into a longer sequence to refine.

The other option is simply to make enough linked clips to cover the range that you wanted to “loop”.

Even without some of the stuff I was hoping for, the fact that it’s universal and I finally got a bigger phone last week feels like good timing... been using gr16 in to AUM on phone but gr16 piano roll is super fiddly! And overall it’s just not suited to a lot of jobs. Xequence looks like a great replacement for those things..

Sequencing GR-16 from Xequence is one of my favorite things to do! The two-way trip is really cool too. Sketch out something in GR-16. Record the midi out to Xequence, then refine it in Xequence and turn it point it back at GR-16.

If you hate linear sequencing
    Xequence is not something you will like. It is an excellent linear sequencer and aims to be nothing else.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

Do they all have midi out? Stagelight might be an option for me on phone in that case...

GarageBand doesn’t. Stagelight is supposed to have midi out, but it doesn’t work at this time. But, you can host apps in them, so still good options for the phone.

• I may give it a try, I'm used to being able to launch clips with a single touch but maybe this is good too, I just hate linear sequencing

I don’t think it’ll work very well as a quasi-clip launcher. Ableton style. Probably better off with Beatmaker or Modstep for that?

Ya modstep is really good for this kinda thing but was hoping that x2 was as well haha, I deleted beat maker a while back but may try it again...
    Perhaps x2 will bring me some love for linear sequencing again, especially with how it plays in AUM

@wim said:

@reasOne said:

If you hate linear sequencing then why bother? Xequence is all about linear sequencing. It has some crossover abilities for looping, but a clip launcher it definitely ain’t.

On the other hand, for $10, having another formidable tool in the shed isn’t a bad thing even if you rarely use it.

I was reading the app store description which lead me to believe it had clip launching so I was just trying to figure it out, dudes a great dev and very helpful so I'm getting it at some point, guess I was just trying to figure out how I would use it

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

Do they all have midi out? Stagelight might be an option for me on phone in that case...

GarageBand doesn’t. Stagelight is supposed to have midi out, but it doesn’t work at this time. But, you can host apps in them, so still good options for the phone.

Stagelight doesn’t have midi AU tho :(....Always something ;)

Xequence looks pretty great for me for now. Was just looking to save a few $ if I already had a comparable alternative. But doesn’t seem like i do.

Do you have BeatHawk? With midi out and Audiobus or AUM it’s fairly useful. Used to be my iPhone solution until Xequence + AB supplanted it.

• edited July 2019

@reasOne said:

Ya modstep is really good for this kinda thing but was hoping that x2 was as well haha, I deleted beat maker a while back but may try it again...
    Perhaps x2 will bring me some love for linear sequencing again, especially with how it plays in AUM

@wim said:

@reasOne said:

I was reading the app store description which lead me to believe it had clip launching so I was just trying to figure it out, dudes a great dev and very helpful so I'm getting it at some point, guess I was just trying to figure out how I would use it

@wim is right, Xequence 2 is about linear sequencing. But that's not the whole story.
    I'm a pattern/clip fanatic too and I'm using Gadget and GR16 extensively. That works out well as long as I don't have to work with longer MIDI tracks, like from a collab partner or just a downloaded MIDI file.
    Have you ever tried to import a long MIDI file in Gadget?
    Forget about it. It works, but the way it's handled by Gadget is unusable.

I used many different "loaded" MIDI tracks during the Xequence testing and extracted parts from different tracks into multiple consecutive new clips that were 2 bars long, including some changes/corrections where appropriate.
    Now when you export the new track as a MIDI file and imort that into Gadget, that's a different story and much more useful.
    I would say that for the MIDI editing capabilities alone, Xequence 2 is worth the low price easily.

• @SevenSystems said:
    Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to announce the immediate availability of Xequence 2.0.0.

Xequence 2 represents a major milestone in the development of our mobile MIDI workstation. It takes everything that users loved from Xequence 1, and makes it all even more efficient, more robust and faster, while also adding many significant new features.

INTRODUCTION PRICE OF JUST $9.99, so that all existing Xequence users have a fair upgrade path (this includes ALL FORMER IN-APP PURCHASES!)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1464669442?mt=8

We thought Xequence also deserved a shiny new website, so there's that:

http://seven.systems/xequence2/

Existing Xequence users: Here's what's new in Xequence 2:

http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/new-in-2/

Report any issues, comments and suggestions here, I'll be happy to answer any questions and consider all input for improvements!

Happy composing!

for how long will be intro price?

• Same thing happens to me all the time but I need a visual of how to do this. I just delete and record again.

@wim said:
    Being able to extend and shorten clips from the left and right ends is a timesaver for something that happens to me all the time. I record something and find that the beginning of the phrase is really somewhere else. It’s always a chore extending the clip, copying the front part, pasting it at the end, then moving everything to the beginning. Now I an simply duplicate the clip join the two, then shorten from the left. And since it’s essentially non-destructive, it’s even more convenient.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Same thing happens to me all the time but I need a visual of how to do this. I just delete and record again.

@wim said:
    Being able to extend and shorten clips from the left and right ends is a timesaver for something that happens to me all the time. I record something and find that the beginning of the phrase is really somewhere else. It’s always a chore extending the clip, copying the front part, pasting it at the end, then moving everything to the beginning. Now I an simply duplicate the clip join the two, then shorten from the left. And since it’s essentially non-destructive, it’s even more convenient.

That's why there is a great manual:
    http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/manual/
    Section "Moving, cropping, extending and timestretching clips".

• @SevenSystems looks great, would you consider adding midi Program change support for session loading?
    That way you can have basic statesaving in any host, using a script with Mozaic or streambyter to load the correct session each time in AUM for example. :)

• Quick question, I’ve just created a custom scale using an imported midi file (great new feature) is there a way to save this and use the scale on other tracks in the project.

Really liking that it now has link start stop and importing midi to existing projects. 😊

• @Carnbot said:
    @SevenSystems looks great, would you consider adding midi Program change support for session loading?
    That way you can have basic statesaving in any host, using a script with Mozaic or streambyter to load the correct session each time in AUM for example. :)

+1000

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@Rodolfo said:

@Carnbot said:
    @SevenSystems looks great, would you consider adding midi Program change support for session loading?

+1000

You can add program changes anywhere you like in the timeline. B)
    Check the little + button at the bottom left.

[edit] oops. Misread. You want to load Xequence projects with program change. +1 then!

• edited July 2019

@SevenSystems
    Congratulations on the release... I have a question about the new clips (parts): can you move notes around within the clip? In Xequence 1 they move outside the clip..

Can we do this now:

Also, in Xequence it isn't very clear to see if clips are stacked upon eachother.. You can record onto another clip and a new clip is being created.. But it's quite hard to see if 2 or more clip are on the same position...

• I have one question before buying it.
    Does midi export to Auria(for example) will also export all automations?

• @Artair said:
    I have one question before buying it.
    Does midi export to Auria(for example) will also export all automations?

Yes, it will export automations inside the MIDI file but let me double-check that...

• @wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Wow ableton start stop is truly awesome with X2, Funk Drummer!
    Feels so natural like playing with real drummer!

...and Funk Drummer won’t try to steal your girlfriend. ;)

Unless she happens to be an appoholic too ;)

• @wim said:
    There is also the option to make linked copies, where if you modify one it modifies all.

Possibly the biggest time saver I've seen mentioned yet !

• Looks a fine update thanks @SevenSystems brought it this morning. I second what was requested early about having a option for a one row keyboard would be neat so we could see midi notes as we played them going into a clip/ timeline.

Also second @echoopera request to have a push 2 style key layout would be awesome. Again hope this new model blooms over the coming year. Thankyou.

• @reasOne said:
    I'd love to see someone launching clips to arrange a sequence of tracks, based on what I read on the website this is possible per track
    .. So you should be able to launch clips of each track at different parts of your linear sequence?
    I suck at making music in a linear time line to create loops and part changes, hoping that this is the answer, right now I'm using stagelight to do this but I prefer to host in AUM, so if x2.50000 can do this while hosting things in AUM / ab3 that would be rad

No live clip launching, sorry... however the looping possibilities are really powerful because Xequence can loop individual clips, and even loop individual clones of the same clip cropped independently (different starts / ends into the clip).

• @Will0827 said:
    Could this serve as a brain to do all my composing with and then just export the midi to my daw for final touches. I know it seems like a backwards way to work but my desire to use the iPad in conjunction with my desktop overrides my feeling of working in my daw only. Thanks in advanced.

Yes, that's one of the main purposes it's designed for :)