Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• @crony said:
    @SevenSystems Happy new year :)

I'd like to ask for a little feature:
    Could it be possible to have saved the order by date (or name) while you want to load a project ? (so while quitting, and relaunching the app, the order by time would be already set)
    Also having the opened folder at that time (to "be" into it) while reloading the app ?

Happy New Year to you too!

Yes those are both sensible suggestions, will put those on the shortlist.

• @SevenSystems I tried searching the foruns, because i'm pretty sure we discussed this already.
    But if I would setup only Xequence + AB3 without AUM (for memory reasons. Just Xeq + AB + Sunvox is giving me the black screen sometimes :lol:), I'm creating one input midi lane for each 16 channels on AB.
    Should I put one Sunvox per midi output or stick with using Virtual Midi Bridge on each output (and one extra lane with VMidi > Sunvox Out)?

Thanks, mate! :wink:

• edited January 2020

@senhorlampada said:
    @SevenSystems I tried searching the foruns, because i'm pretty sure we discussed this already.
    But if I would setup only Xequence + AB3 without AUM (for memory reasons. Just Xeq + AB + Sunvox is giving me the black screen sometimes :lol:), I'm creating one input midi lane for each 16 channels on AB.
    Should I put one Sunvox per midi output or stick with using Virtual Midi Bridge on each output (and one extra lane with VMidi > Sunvox Out)?

Hi :) As far as I know (and just tested actually), Sunvox doesn't support Audiobus MIDI at all; so it would be sufficient to load just a single MIDI lane with Xequence as the input, a single audio lane with Sunvox as the input, and then do the rest of the routing directly through CoreMIDI (i.e., select Sunvox as the MIDI destination for each instrument in Xequence, and assign a different channel for each). No need for further Audiobus MIDI lanes or Virtual Midi Bridge.

• edited January 2020

@SevenSystems said:

@senhorlampada said:
    @SevenSystems I tried searching the foruns, because i'm pretty sure we discussed this already.

Hi :) As far as I know (and just tested actually), Sunvox doesn't support Audiobus MIDI at all; so it would be sufficient to load just a single MIDI lane with Xequence as the input, a single audio lane with Sunvox as the input, and then do the rest of the routing directly through CoreMIDI (i.e., select Sunvox as the MIDI destination for each instrument in Xequence, and assign a different channel for each). No need for further Audiobus MIDI lanes or Virtual Midi Bridge.

Thanks! Makes sense :lol:
    I ended up just using Xequence > Sunvox for now :wink:

Edit: Creating Xequence template files routing to other multitimbral apps now (iM1, SampleTank, BS-16i , Thumbjam, etc.)

• BTW...
    From another topic (Xeq1) :wink:

@SevenSystems said:
    Regarding Polyhymnia: modifying characteristics of already existing notes instead of adding new ones has been requested already and it's on the todo list...

I still use Midiflow Randomizer for this, but is it still on the roadmap? :sunglasses:

• @senhorlampada said:
    Edit: Creating Xequence template files routing to other multitimbral apps now (iM1, SampleTank, BS-16i , Thumbjam, etc.)

Yep, templates always help! 🙂 I got a bunch of those in a dedicated "Templates" folder.

@senhorlampada pada said:
    BTW...
    From another topic (Xeq1) :wink:

@SevenSystems said:
    Regarding Polyhymnia: modifying characteristics of already existing notes instead of adding new ones has been requested already and it's on the todo list...

I still use Midiflow Randomizer for this, but is it still on the roadmap? :sunglasses:

Absolutely! Sorry it didn't make it so far... the todo list is actually so long that I need a dedicated server to store it 😁 I wish there were 5 employees working on Xequence full-time or that it generated thrice the revenue. The roadmap would certainly get shorter faster 🙂

• @SevenSystems said:
    I wish there were 5 employees working on Xequence full-time or that it generated thrice the revenue

Really? If the revenue was thrice, thusly, would you hire 5 people per chance?

Don't respond. Just add "Send McD a GIF image of my middle finger" to the To Do List.

Keep coding. Have you thought about "Xequence 3: Return to Profitability". Worked for Cubasis. Tell us the engine is totally new... buggy AF but totally new.

• @McD said:

@SevenSystems said:
    I wish there were 5 employees working on Xequence full-time or that it generated thrice the revenue

Really? If the revenue was thrice, thusly, would you hire 5 people per chance?

Don't respond. Just add "Send McD a GIF image of my middle finger" to the To Do List.

Keep coding. Have you thought about "Xequence 3: Return to Profitability". Worked for Cubasis. Tell us the engine is totally new... buggy AF but totally new.

Add audio tracks, call it Xequence 3, you’d get my £50 instead of Cubasis ;)

• @gregsmith said:
    Add audio tracks, call it Xequence 3, you’d get my £50 instead of Cubasis ;)

Better yet. Rename it "Xequence 3 - the capitalism edition" and promise audio tracks at a later date. And promise to deprecate the use if IAA before 2030.

For $50, make it run in an AUv3 instance with fewer features... just a good piano roll editor might do it.

I'm sure these will go right on the bottom of the To Do's and stay there.

If would be cool if @Brambos licensed you his Mozaic interpreter to run inside Xequence 2
    (or 3) as a runtime instance. No editor. Just load scripts created in his product. Then you sell it as an IAP. Probably a lot harder than I can imagine to pull off for both of you.

• @McD (by the way, is that short for McDonald's? 😄) @gregsmith I had a good laugh 😉 let's not be too nasty to the Steinberg folks though. I'm sure they're trying their best and to be fair, Cubasis' scope is (for now) much bigger than Xequence's (for now) so they have more stuff to shuffle (pun). Although maybe that's offset slightly by the difference in "team" sizes (I don't know the size of the Cubasis team, but surely it must be bigger than the Xequence "team").

Audio tracks is the next thing I would like to do if 1) I can push through the incredibly, ridiculously frustrating experience that is working with Apple's AUv3 stuff (it would really deserve its own dedicated rant website), and 2) Xequence Audio (or whatever it'll be called) generates enough revenue to justify further audio development (capitalism alert!)

• edited January 2020

@SevenSystems i got xequence 2 and will get it again if you add the audio ! can’t wait !!!!

• @SevenSystems said:
    Audio tracks is the next thing I would like to do if 1) I can push through the incredibly, ridiculously frustrating experience that is working with Apple's AUv3 stuff

What about just having time-aligned audio playback in you app? Import audio as a file and
    position it in the timeline. Don't record audio or host AUv3's but allow users to embed audio in Xequence 3? I'm sure they would also want PAD triggering too but just time-based clip launching would have many users excited.

What the best external clip launcher available right now? I see Koala getting a lot of love.
    Does it support MIDI triggering. This type of music production is totally foreign to me...
    Ableton and Akai Force hardware. But the youngsters... I have a DJ Nephew and I saw him
    work an Akai Force and I got it but still don't really get it. It just looked empowering for Live
    jamming. He knew what button would add some specific new clip and how to mix the
    columns of loops/clips in and out. He's also a great finger drummer when he builds a new track. Boxes and boxes of vinyl for source materials. I tuned out for 30 years.

• @McD yeah, live stuff, including clip launching, is out of scope for Xequence. I have had lots of requests for it and I'm sure it's useful to many, but as you say, I'm too old to "get it" and I definitely only want to implement features that I actually do "get" -- because otherwise, I won't be able to design them effectively. And as the Xequence "team" is very small and the budget quite limited, development really has to stay focused.

• @McD said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Audio tracks is the next thing I would like to do if 1) I can push through the incredibly, ridiculously frustrating experience that is working with Apple's AUv3 stuff

What about just having time-aligned audio playback in you app? Import audio as a file and
    position it in the timeline. Don't record audio or host AUv3's but allow users to embed audio in Xequence 3? I'm sure they would also want PAD triggering too but just time-based clip launching would have many users excited.

What the best external clip launcher available right now? I see Koala getting a lot of love.
    Does it support MIDI triggering. This type of music production is totally foreign to me...
    Ableton and Akai Force hardware. But the youngsters... I have a DJ Nephew and I saw him
    work an Akai Force and I got it but still don't really get it. It just looked empowering for Live
    jamming. He knew what button would add some specific new clip and how to mix the
    columns of loops/clips in and out. He's also a great finger drummer when he builds a new track. Boxes and boxes of vinyl for source materials. I tuned out for 30 years.

‘Time aligned audio playback’ is all I’m after, well, with time stretching. Everything else can be done with one of the many auv3 samplers on iOS.

• @gregsmith said:
    ‘Time aligned audio playback’ is all I’m after, well, with time stretching. Everything else can be done with one of the many auv3 samplers on iOS.

So, are there events we can drop into Xequence 2 or 3 that will fire off audio clips in your favorite AUv3 Sampler? If yes, what's your favorite for clip launching via MIDI? Maybe I should go watch a lot of Ableton tutorials and understand this approach to music production. I've seen it performed on an Akai Force and that really helped me understand
    more but I'm still clueless. Maybe watching BM3 videos too since I have that to follow along.
    How capable is Ableton Lite? I have a Mac.

• edited January 2020

@McD

I did use beathawk, but I usually use eg pulse now as it’s a bit easier. You just play it with midi like a drum sampler.

• @gregsmith said:
    @McD

I did use beathawk, but I usually use eg pulse now as it’s a bit easier. You just play it with midi like a drum sampler.

I really should get my first Elliots Garage app. I keep holding back. Just a little higher in price
    than I like to pay. But only a little. Can anyone rank them for generic synth uses. I'm not a big user of Drum Machines. Ex-drummer and it's personal. They made me get a real job in my 20's. But they did make me pick up keyboards and some programming chops.

• @McD said:

@gregsmith said:
    @McD

I really should get my first Elliots Garage app. I keep holding back. Just a little higher in price
    than I like to pay. But only a little. Can anyone rank them for generic synth uses. I'm not a big user of Drum Machines. Ex-drummer and it's personal. They made me get a real job in my 20's. But they did make me pick up keyboards and some programming chops.

EG Pulse lives up to the hype for me. Missing a few obvious things, like copying and pasting one pad to another etc. But he worked super hard on everyone’s requests after the app first released so it’s got a lot of good stuff in there.

• Rumor has it Drambo is close so I should give it a week and save my $50 iTunes credit for a bit. But EG Pulse is top of my current Wish List. Thx.

• @McD said:
    Rumor has it Drambo is close so I should give it a week and save my $50 iTunes credit for a bit. But EG Pulse is top of my current Wish List. Thx.

So you're a religious man...

• @cian said:
    So you're a religious man...

No. I trust some forum beta testers and err on the bright side.
    "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"

• @mlau said:
    @McD

Blasphemy... made my day. So much better than fart jokes: Stale air.
    WWJD: LOL.

• @SevenSystems the "story telling marketing" of Steinberg says that after a lot (and it's quite true) of improvements and the new engine, they had to jump to Cubasis 3.

I'd love to have a X3, even at 50 €, with the feature lists in advance, with audio and AUv3, live timestretching , and a new midi engine if needed (to accept midi advanced actions discussed a lot around here...) if it's easier for you to develop...

A X4 could be release in 2021 or 2022 and so on every 1 or 2 years with major features...

It would not be different as the classical model of new software versions on PC or Mac...Except that you may buy upgrades for Cubase, for instance.
    But as the price of apps on IOS are really low, I don't care paying a little more (from very little) every 1/2 years if that makes your economical model working.

As long as I have a real midi (and audio ok...) sequencer on IOS...

• i have the first version of this app? what has changed in version 2? i’m interested

• @eross said:
    i have the first version of this app? what has changed in version 2? i’m interested

http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/new-in-2/

• @eross also note that the page that @jipumarino kindly linked to refers to 2.0.0. Another boatload of improvements has again arrived since then in updates (see the version history on the App Store 🙂) or just ask here.

• thanks guys

• edited January 2020

@SevenSystems maybe you could make a poll here with the price people would pay for X3 to sustain an independant IOS dev...