Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• @crony said:
    @SevenSystems even on Link ? (Sorry to insist, but massive thanks for killing false believes for stupid people like me, I really hope it doesn't...)

No effect. But of course, other apps may have bugs in their conversion of MIDI timestamps to audio buffer offsets etc... but Xequence can't do anything about that 😕

• edited November 2019

@SevenSystems this new swing is so SWINGYYYYYYYYYYY :D

A little question, is the clock transmitted using "thru" into settings ? (depending on which channel is selected ?)

My feature request of the day...None of these are "vitals", this is just what's it seems easier to use for me...(and others ?)

1.midi in/out in instrument and playhead views (just as a reminder)
    2.A quantize button on the timeline view (into "process")
    3.An octave up/down button on the timeline view (into "process")
    4.An semi tone up/down button on the timeline view (into "process") , but also into the editor view (instead of doing "select all", then using the arrows on the right)

Weird how I find the groove and clock more regular while swing is activated...It plays for 15 minutes now, and I don't feel any drifting...
    Edit : ah, no, finally drifting... :neutral:

Ah, I also find some glitches into piano roll view. But it seems related to the latest IOS update...13.2.3...as I don't think I had them before...
    I just open it, and it starts to glitch...Then I close it, going back to the timeline view, no more glitches...

• @SevenSystems

I think there is a bug in Export midi - Only selected clips.

If you split a track and the track doesn't have a note in the split position, then the notes in the track will be left adjusted.

Look at the example below:

On the picture to the left I have split the tracks at position 23 and 31 and selected the tracks and exported midi (only selected clips)

On the picture to the right I have imported the midi file I just exported.

As you can see, the notes on track 3 and 5 has been left adjusted, probably because they didn't have any notes at the start position of the clip (position 23)

• edited November 2019

@White thanks for the feedback -- that's actually a feature :) Xequence
    auto-crops exported MIDI files so that the first note or controller is always at time zero. That could be made optional of course...

(of course, that auto-cropping should always keep tracks in sync, and I think it does -- you exported and re-imported each track INDIVIDUALLY, right? Then they can't be in sync of course.)

EDIT: Just saw that exported MIDI files actually don't stay in sync across tracks even inside the same file and with "Only selected clips" enabled. That's a bug of course! Thanks a lot, that will be fixed shortly!

• @SevenSystems said:
    @White thanks for the feedback -- that's actually a feature :) Xequence
    auto-crops exported MIDI files so that the first note or controller is always at time zero. That could be made optional of course...

(of course, that auto-cropping should always keep tracks in sync, and I think it does -- you exported and re-imported each track INDIVIDUALLY, right? Then they can't be in sync of course.)

No I selected all 10 tracks and exported them, so the result was 1 midi file.

Then I imported the midi file containing all 10 tracks.

• @White Yep, confirmed (I edited my original post). Thanks again!

• @SevenSystems said:
    @White Yep, confirmed (I edited my original post). Thanks again!

IMO, auto-shifting individual tracks so first event is at time 0 shouldn't be the default.

• @espiegel123 said:

@SevenSystems said:

IMO, auto-shifting individual tracks so first event is at time 0 shouldn't be the default.

No, that's actually a bug. But shifting the WHOLE export should be fine?

• @SevenSystems said:

@espiegel123 said:

@SevenSystems said:

No, that's actually a bug. But shifting the WHOLE export should be fine?

Agreed.Shifting the whole thing is fine.

• @SevenSystems said:

@crony said:
    @SevenSystems even on Link ? (Sorry to insist, but massive thanks for killing false believes for stupid people like me, I really hope it doesn't...)

No effect. But of course, other apps may have bugs in their conversion of MIDI timestamps to audio buffer offsets etc... but Xequence can't do anything about that 😕

True, I've recently had to test a few apps regarding IAA sync behavior and some work, some don't.
    Note that external hardware will never send MIDI time stamps so the receiving thread better has high priority, just like the Ableton LINK receiver :)

• edited November 2019

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@crony said:

True, I've recently had to test a few apps regarding IAA sync behavior and some work, some don't.
    Note that external hardware will never send MIDI time stamps so the receiving thread better has high priority, just like the Ableton LINK receiver :)

Yep... I actually once got called out for calling them "MIDI time stamps", because in reality the timestamp information is of course inside the CoreMIDI packet list, and not in the MIDI information ITSELF. So maybe they should be called "CoreMIDI timestamps" :) (but yeah, speaking of which... it wouldn't be a bad idea to add an extension to the MIDI standard itself to include timestamps for each message :) But I guess that wouldn't fit very well into the old standard, and maybe it's actually part of MIDI 2.0? (which does exist!))

EDIT: And thanks for the nomination for Apple's "App of the Year" (though I'm not sure if it'll make it! :D)

• @SevenSystems said:
    EDIT: And thanks for the nomination for Apple's "App of the Year" (though I'm not sure if it'll make it! :D)

Fair enough if it makes it here on the forum!
    Who cares what Apple managers think? :D

• @White: Issue found and fixed. Update will be available as soon as Apple approves it.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @White: Issue found and fixed. Update will be available as soon as Apple approves it.

Thank you, that was fast 😊👍

• @SevenSystems said:
    @White: Issue found and fixed. Update will be available as soon as Apple approves it.

Thanks again for the quick update, I have tested it and it works fine now 😊

• edited November 2019

@crony said:
    @SevenSystems this new swing is so SWINGYYYYYYYYYYY :D

Very good, keeping you swinging and dancing over there ;)

A little question, is the clock transmitted using "thru" into settings ? (depending on which channel is selected ?)

No, MIDI Thru only passes on note and controller data.

2.A quantize button on the timeline view (into "process")
    3.An octave up/down button on the timeline view (into "process")

Sorry, I would like to keep arrangement and editing completely separate. So, all features that somehow modify note or controller data will stay in the respective editors exclusively. It's just a design decision to keep these two workflows separate. I agree there might be situations when it's quicker, but the "Process" menu would eventually get very crowded in the arranger.

4.An semi tone up/down button on the timeline view (into "process") , but also into the editor view (instead of doing "select all", then using the arrows on the right)

Hmmm, that's really what the vertical handles are for... I don't think transposing by exactly one scale degree is an operation that you need very often so it deserves its own buttons? The Oct Up/Down buttons are there because transposing by an entire octave is something that you do quite regularly, but not transposition by one degree? (note that the pianoroll editor cannot transpose by semitones, because it always works inside scales...)

• edited November 2019

@SevenSystems would you consider adding the ability to select the loop recording mode (overdub/separate) at the track level?

I'm finding that I'm almost always setting drums and percussion to 'overdub', and melodic parts to 'separate'.
    It would be nice to 'set it and forget it' instead of having to check in the menu to see what mode I'm currently in before recording.

• @blakkaz said:
    @SevenSystems would you consider adding the ability to select the loop recording mode (overdub/separate) at the track level.

I'm finding that I'm almost always setting drums and percussion to 'overdub', and melodic parts to 'separate'.
    It would be nice to 'set it and forget it' instead of having to check in the menu to see what mode I'm currently in before recording.

Yes, that's certainly worth considering... although doing it at the track level would maybe introduce a bit too much hidden complexity...

Maybe it would be another idea to put it into the "Q" menu at the top right and make that a more general "Recording options" menu. I had that idea for quite some time anyway...

• edited November 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    Yes, that's certainly worth considering... although doing it at the track level would maybe introduce a bit too much hidden complexity...

Maybe it would be another idea to put it into the "Q" menu at the top right and make that a more general "Recording options" menu. I had that idea for quite some time anyway...

That sounds easier and faster. 👍

• Hey there, Alex @SevenSystems
    Hope you're doing good, mate :wink:

Is that track folder feature still considered for development? :lol:
    So we can group stuff, like drum tracks, or a lead with 5 different scales, etc.
    Just to keep things tidy and easier to look at :lol:

• @senhorlampada said:
    Hey there, Alex @SevenSystems
    Hope you're doing good, mate :wink:

Is that track folder feature still considered for development? :lol:
    So we can group stuff, like drum tracks, or a lead with 5 different scales, etc.
    Just to keep things tidy and easier to look at :lol:

Hey mate,

doing about average... it's survivable 🙂 folder tracks still on the roadmap 🙂

• @SevenSystems said:
    Hey mate,

Good to know about the folder tracks. Any ETA? lol sorry for asking again
    And about things being average, hope you manage it. If you need anything, drop a message :wink:

• @senhorlampada said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Hey mate,

Good to know about the folder tracks. Any ETA? lol sorry for asking again
    And about things being average, hope you manage it. If you need anything, drop a message :wink:

Thanks senhor! 100,000 Euros or a good, clean, small house in the countryside for under 750 Euros / month and without any "hidden treasures" would already be a great start 😉

No eta on the folders currently, sorry...

• @SevenSystems said:
    Thanks senhor! 100,000 Euros or a good, clean, small house in the countryside for under 750 Euros / month and without any "hidden treasures" would already be a great start 😉

:lol: "hidden treasures" I get where you're coming from :smile:

• Just a note that the manual is now finally available again as a downloadable and printable PDF, including a nice table of contents with page numbers.

Happy and informative reading!

http://seven.systems/xequence2/downloads/Xequence 2 Manual.pdf

• edited December 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    Just a note that the manual is now finally available again as a downloadable and printable PDF, including a nice table of contents with page numbers.

Oh sweet, was just trying to export the page as a pdf. Much thanks!

PS I :heart: time-stretching.

• @SevenSystems said:
    Just a note that the manual is now finally available again as a downloadable and printable PDF, including a nice table of contents with page numbers.

@SevenSystems Thank you so much for making this available. I deeply appreciate it!

• @SevenSystems said:

Thanks

• @SevenSystems Happy new year :)

I'd like to ask for a little feature:
    Could it be possible to have saved the order by date (or name) while you want to load a project ? (so while quitting, and relaunching the app, the order by time would be already set)
    Also having the opened folder at that time (to "be" into it) while reloading the app ?