Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• I love Xequence 2 app.

Alexander has done an awesome job with it. Always listens to feature requests, integrating when it makes sense and is super responsive.

@SevenSystems Hope things are looking up again soon for you.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    I love Xequence 2 app.

Alexander has done an awesome job with it. Always listens to feature requests, integrating when it makes sense and is super responsive.

@SevenSystems Hope things are looking up again soon for you.

Agreed, it’s amazing. Best wishes @SevenSystems

• @SevenSystems hope everything works itself out for you. We can wait patiently till you return :)

• @SevenSystems Yes, please take care of yourself first + foremost.. when you're ready, we'll be ready to continue with the Xequence 2 Adventures..

• edited October 2019

Hi guys, how do you record midi cc's with an external midi controller? im using aum and xequence 2 as virtual source.
    i mapped my controller in aum channel...i can see the cc message being recorded inside xequence...but when playback it won't read the changes i made...
    After the recording is finished it says that the recording was set to Synth1 - Modulation

In " Controllers ' i have several slots....what settings i am missing?

• Is the synth and parameter set up in AUM to receive from Xequence 2?

Maybe post a few screenshots of your routings in both AUM & Xeq2. Could be easier to spot something visually.

• @Sergiu Could you check the following:

• In Xequence, have you set the instrument's MIDI Destination to "Xequence Source"?
    • In AUM, have you enabled "Xequence Source" as a MIDI source for the AUM channel in its Hamburger menu?

If you are still having trouble, a few Screenshots might help!

• @Sergiu and: the virtual source is really just meant as a last resort for destination apps that don't offer a virtual MIDI destination. i.e., normally, you should just select AUM directly as the MIDI destination without going through the virtual source, and then enable "AUM Destination" in AUM's Hamburger menu instead.

• Oh thank you ! I’ll give it a try !> @SevenSystems said:

@Sergiu and: the virtual source is really just meant as a last resort for destination apps that don't offer a virtual MIDI destination. i.e., normally, you should just select AUM directly as the MIDI destination without going through the virtual source, and then enable "AUM Destination" in AUM's Hamburger menu instead.

• edited October 2019

ok...I had to post some screenshots .
    Again, I assigned my controller inside Aum...then went back in Xequence , pressed record on my clip and tweaked the knob on my controller. Change was recorded , but when playback that parameter will stay at the last dial/value and not reading the recorded dial. I appreciate your support.
    here they are:

• edited October 2019

OK, there's a few things there:

= In your first screenshot, you're setting the Multitrack Recording Source. That is a special setting for a special recording mode and is not important for normal recording, you don't have to set it.

= In the third Screenshot, I see that the instrument has CC #14 set, but I think in a previous post you mentioned that you've recorded Modulation (CC #1). I assume that your MIDI keyboard has a Modulation wheel (#1), which got recorded, but then you remapped it to 14 because your D1 preset uses 14 for the parameter you want to control? Because I have just tried a few D1 Presets and none of them reacted to 14, that's why I'm asking...

= Could you include a Screenshot of the controller editor (with the recorded controller data) so that I can see what's going on?

= does D1 react to your keyboard's Modulation wheel if you send from the keyboard directly to D1?

Thanks

• Hi @SevenSystems

Was wondering how the ‘controllers to own tracks’ setting is supposed to work? If I record from the keyboard screen all the controllers go into the same clip. I then choose the clip, tap process, then controllers to own tracks, but nothing happens??

• @gregsmith said:
    Hi @SevenSystems

Was wondering how the ‘controllers to own tracks’ setting is supposed to work? If I record from the keyboard screen all the controllers go into the same clip. I then choose the clip, tap process, then controllers to own tracks, but nothing happens??

Does the clip ALSO contain notes? Currently, "Controllers to own tracks" will only do its thing if there's also note data in the clip (as the main purpose of the feature is to separate notes from controllers)...

I think it might actually make sense though to also let it work without notes, to separate multiple controllers into clips. Good point!

• @SevenSystems said:

@gregsmith said:
    Hi @SevenSystems

Does the clip ALSO contain notes? Currently, "Controllers to own tracks" will only do its thing if there's also note data in the clip (as the main purpose of the feature is to separate notes from controllers)...

I think it might actually make sense though to also let it work without notes, to separate multiple controllers into clips. Good point!

Ah thanks, I get it now, but yes I like to keep all my controllers on their own tracks/clips so would definitely welcome that feature :)

I’m also trying to record from the knobs on my Bluetooth controller (akai lpd8 wireless)
    Knob 1 seems to send cc1 to xequence which makes sense which is then recorded as cc1 on the target track (obviously). However, the fader I want to automate with the knob is set to cc74 which controls a synth in Audiobus.
    Is there a way in Xequence to make cc1 from that controller automate cc74?
    Hope this makes some sort of sense. I think this might just be me not understanding properly.

• @gregsmith said:
    Hope this makes some sort of sense. I think this might just be me not understanding properly.

If it were me, I’d convert it after X2 and before the synth by putting something like mfxConvert between X2 and the synth. It would be cleaner to me that way, so I’d be keeping X2 as recording exactly what I send to it.

That is, assuming the synth you want to control can’t be midi mapped to use cc#1 instead.

• Just wondering if anyone with Xequence 2 and BM3 have tried synching BM3 to Xequences MIDI clock/timecode.

• @gregsmith there's currently no live-translation of controllers (which would of course be an interesting feature), but you can change the control number of an already recorded controller slot at any time on the instruments screen.

• edited October 2019

@wim said:

@gregsmith said:

If it were me, I’d convert it after X2 and before the synth by putting something like mfxConvert between X2 and the synth. It would be cleaner to me that way, so I’d be keeping X2 as recording exactly what I send to it.

That is, assuming the synth you want to control can’t be midi mapped to use cc#1 instead.

That’s the answer I needed. Just wanted to make sure there was no magic way to remap it within xequence.

@SevenSystems said:
    @gregsmith there's currently no live-translation of controllers (which would of course be an interesting feature), but you can change the control number of an already recorded controller slot at any time on the instruments screen.

Thanks

• @espiegel123 said:
    Just wondering if anyone with Xequence 2 and BM3 have tried synching BM3 to Xequences MIDI clock/timecode.

In Xeq2, go to Settings: MIDI > Midi Output and enable "Virtual source",
    then go to the Midi devices page (upper left MIDi plug symbol), hit the three dots of the device you want to sync from and choose MIDI destination = Xequence Source.
    Now enable "Send Sync" and play with "Absolute/COLW and Relative settings (shouldn't be necessary). I know, it's a bit awkward but that's the way it is.

In BM3, use Xeq2 as a sync source and enable "Midi Clock In".

• edited October 2019

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Just wondering if anyone with Xequence 2 and BM3 have tried synching BM3 to Xequences MIDI clock/timecode.

then go to the Midi devices page (upper left MIDI plug symbol), hit the three dots of the device you want to sync from and choose MIDI destination = Xequence Source.
    Now enable "Send Sync" and play with "Absolute/COLW and Relative settings (shouldn't be necessary). I know, it's a bit awkward but that's the way it is.

You'll also notice that BM3 would do better if it had negative sync latency correction ;)

• @rs2000 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

then go to the Midi devices page (upper left MIDI plug symbol), hit the three dots of the device you want to sync from and choose MIDI destination = Xequence Source.

You'll also notice that BM3 would do better if it had negative sync latency correction ;)

This puzzles me (unless it’s a joke). There can’t really be such a thing can there? An app can’t tell itself to play a note before it receives that note.

I would think that the only way to deal with a lagging app is to delay all the other apps to match it.

• edited October 2019

I have a video this time...will all steps I take, hope it would be more helpful to see what's happening in there ( I appreciate your help )
    https://streamable.com/imdr8
    ( sorry ...I realize not all video is working properly...so after that , I assigned a parameter inside Aum...with the Akai controller...went back to Xequence, did the recording with the knob dial...)

I wonder if there is a video out there...how to use a midi controller with Aum & Xequence ( recording midi cc's )

• edited October 2019

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

This puzzles me (unless it’s a joke). There can’t really be such a thing can there? An app can’t tell itself to play a note before it receives that note.

I would think that the only way to deal with a lagging app is to delay all the other apps to match it.

No, it's not about the notes, it's about the clock pulses!
    Of course, in a slave-synced setup, the first clock pulse will always be played with the inherent delay but consecutive clock pulses can be shifted by software.
    Play with Groove Rider and negative values under Settings > Clock Latency to see it for yourself.

And no, I wasn't kidding this time :#

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

No, it's not about the notes, it's about the clock pulses!
    Of course, in a slave-synced setup, the first clock pulse will always be played with the inherent delay but consecutive clock pulses can be shifted by software.
    Play with Groove Rider and negative values under Settings > Clock Latency to see it for yourself.

And no, I wasn't kidding this time :#

OK, I see. Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. B)

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

then go to the Midi devices page (upper left MIDi plug symbol), hit the three dots of the device you want to sync from and choose MIDI destination = Xequence Source.

I guess my question wasn’t clear. I am not asking how to do it. I am asking if anyone has tested it..in particular the synching of audio tracks..as BM3 (which I don’t have) seems to be the only iOS DAW that will slave to another app. I am wondering more about how audio tracks sync than MIDI (since MIDI is the more straightforward case).

Has anyone explored this?

• Oooh. That is indeed a good use-case if it works.
    Not sure I’d add BM3 to my “DAWless” workflow just for that though. But maybe...

• @Sergiu said:
    I have a video this time...will all steps I take, hope it would be more helpful to see what's happening in there ( I appreciate your help )
    ( sorry ...I realize not all video is working properly...so after that , I assigned a parameter inside Aum...with the Akai controller...went back to Xequence, did the recording with the knob dial...)

I wonder if there is a video out there...how to use a midi controller with Aum & Xequence ( recording midi cc's )

Sorry that the video didn't work until the end. I'm still not quite sure what you're trying to do. Xequence records all incoming controllers that have been assigned to the current instrument, or if it hasn't been assigned and "Auto-Add Controllers" is enabled, then it will automatically add any unknown controllers.

When you then play back your recorded clips, the same controllers that have been recorded will be sent out to the MIDI destination of each instrument.

You can also change the CC number (controller) of already recorded data after recording, by going to the instrument's settings and just assigning a different controller / CC number to the same slot. It will then use the same data you have recorded, but send them using a different controller number.

So if, for example, your keyboard's modulation wheel sends CC 1, but the parameter you want to control in Digital D1 has CC 14, the simplest way to accomplish this would be to re-assign that parameter to CC 1 inside Digital D1 (if it supports remapping controllers).

Another way would be to just record CC 1, and then after recording, change the controller in the instrument's settings to CC 14. That would also work.

• edited October 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

I guess my question wasn’t clear. I am not asking how to do it. I am asking if anyone has tested it..in particular the synching of audio tracks..as BM3 (which I don’t have) seems to be the only iOS DAW that will slave to another app. I am wondering more about how audio tracks sync than MIDI (since MIDI is the more straightforward case).

Has anyone explored this?

Yes it works and I have to say that I'm surprised how well BM3 stretches a 100bpm synth arpeggio audio file to 80bpm. With the current delay between Xeq2 and BM3 you might be better off to do all your MIDI in BM3 too for now.

And you're right, this audio+midi combo is quite unique in iOS DAW world.
    Given how fast BM3 reacts to MIDI Clock tempo changes, it's in fact better than Ableton Live in this regard.

• Thank you! I’ll give it a try> @SevenSystems said:

@Sergiu said:

Sorry that the video didn't work until the end. I'm still not quite sure what you're trying to do. Xequence records all incoming controllers that have been assigned to the current instrument, or if it hasn't been assigned and "Auto-Add Controllers" is enabled, then it will automatically add any unknown controllers.

When you then play back your recorded clips, the same controllers that have been recorded will be sent out to the MIDI destination of each instrument.

You can also change the CC number (controller) of already recorded data after recording, by going to the instrument's settings and just assigning a different controller / CC number to the same slot. It will then use the same data you have recorded, but send them using a different controller number.

So if, for example, your keyboard's modulation wheel sends CC 1, but the parameter you want to control in Digital D1 has CC 14, the simplest way to accomplish this would be to re-assign that parameter to CC 1 inside Digital D1 (if it supports remapping controllers).

Another way would be to just record CC 1, and then after recording, change the controller in the instrument's settings to CC 14. That would also work.