Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• edited July 2019

@Eye0sStudios said:

@echoopera said:
    Having a good time with it. Here’s a little 4 bar loop using 3 of my favorite instruments to enjoy if you want to get a snapshot of my brain as of 3pm PST 🤪
    http://preset.audiob.us/SnxuHq7rZaQlFI0

No midi data is in Xequence when I open this. ?

Wha? That’s odd. Should be in there. Let me try again to save...hrmmm no go. Not sure why the Project wouldn’t be saved. @SevenSystems any thoughts on why the Xequence Project isn’t saved?

• It’s worth mentioning that its pretty simple to “record” an Atom piano roll session into Xequence if building up parts is easier that way. All you need do is enable the routing into Xequence and enable multi-track recording (two right-pointing arrows at the top-right). I like to enable Link Start/Stop, then press record in Xequence, which auto-starts AUM/Atom, adds the tracks and records the midi. This is a great way to park stuff for later arrangement without having to keep track of multiple Atom windows. Just a thought...

@wim Let’s say I am using Audiobus 3 and Auria Pro and Xequence 2.

With two or more iPads (connected via Bluetooth)

I want to generate Midi on the extra iPads either via apps like Octachron and Atom And Velocity Keyboard. I am using Audiobus 3 on these “extra devices”.

I am using Auria Pro to host plugins on main iPad and also have Xequence 2 on the main iPad. (I am also experimenting with using Audiobus 3 on the main iPad as well to help with Bluetooth connections and possibly to improve sync)

I cannot figure out how to record from Atom into Xequence in the way you describe.... any suggestions.? I m confused with multichannel, Xequence destination, etc etc.

@SevenSystems ... Can you make any suggestions?

I

• Is there any video preview, teaser or something? :)

• edited July 2019

One request which may already be there but I can’t figure it out.

A way to have the double or single keyboard be resizable to allow the user to see the track being recorded to.

I’m my particular situation I need a visual cue of where the song is at. If I have Ableton link enabled, the count in sometimes doesn’t work; it only counts in like maybe a measure and bam starts recording so it confuses me when to actually start playing. If I had a visual cue of where the play head is at, I’d wait to record right as it enters measure 1. I’m not an expert on midi so please forgive me if this sounds dumb or if it’s something already there. Thanks! And I’m really enjoying the new app! Thanks to @wim for the recommendation!

• edited July 2019

@Eye0sStudios said:

@echoopera said:
    Having a good time with it. Here’s a little 4 bar loop using 3 of my favorite instruments to enjoy if you want to get a snapshot of my brain as of 3pm PST 🤪

Me too..despite not owning those great SB synths...

BTW.. the Ableton Link Start/Stop is epic.. Nice..

• @jipumarino said:
    Out of curiosity: does X/X2 create one virtual MIDI port per track (or instrument?) that I can freely assign in, say AUM? Or do I have to work around it with MIDI channels on both ends?

No, it doesn’t. Though I fail to understand how using MIDI channels is a “workaround”?

• @RajahP said:

@Eye0sStudios said:

@echoopera said:

Me too..despite not owning those great SB synths...

BTW.. the Ableton Link Start/Stop is epic.. Nice..

No what is sad is that almost any AB presets that some one posts I guarantee I own all the apps in it. I have a problem. LOL.

• @audio_DT said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@SevenSystems said:

Regarding the bottom bar: does it disappear COMPLETELY or is it just dimmed, so that you have to swipe up twice? (that would be intentional). It's always a difficult decision between "ease of switching" and "stop iOS from interfering with keyboard playing, etc.)

It's dimmed. Is there an option to un-dim it? For me, as a non-keyboard player, I'd be using a midi chords player (KB-1, Chordpolyapp, ChordPadx, etc.), so there wouldn't be the problem - for me, at least - of the bottom bar getting in the way. As for checking out the other new stuff - yes, I'm just reading the changelog :-)

I highly suggest checking out Xequence and your chord apps loaded inside AB3. There you have instant access to app switching always visible, or even midi mappable to your controller, if you have one.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of using it with AB3 over AUM? I know it's easier to switch between apps with AB3 - but you seem to suggest above that 'Xequence and your chord apps [can be] loaded inside AB3'. Hmm, not used AB3 in quite some time - off to have a little look. Thanks.

App switching, transport controls always available everywhere, audiobus remote, midi clock / Link sync, AB’s awesome midi learn capabilities (some of which are also available in AUM) ... and state saving come to mind.

Plus loading inside of AUM by IAA isn’t officially supported. It’s a side-effect of Audiobus capability.

That said, you don’t have to load it in anything. It will still send and receive midi whereever you need it.

• Wow ableton start stop is truly awesome with X2, Funk Drummer!
    Feels so natural like playing with real drummer!

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Wow ableton start stop is truly awesome with X2, Funk Drummer!
    Feels so natural like playing with real drummer!

...and Funk Drummer won’t try to steal your girlfriend. ;)

• @wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@SevenSystems said:

Regarding the bottom bar: does it disappear COMPLETELY or is it just dimmed, so that you have to swipe up twice? (that would be intentional). It's always a difficult decision between "ease of switching" and "stop iOS from interfering with keyboard playing, etc.)

It's dimmed. Is there an option to un-dim it? For me, as a non-keyboard player, I'd be using a midi chords player (KB-1, Chordpolyapp, ChordPadx, etc.), so there wouldn't be the problem - for me, at least - of the bottom bar getting in the way. As for checking out the other new stuff - yes, I'm just reading the changelog :-)

I highly suggest checking out Xequence and your chord apps loaded inside AB3. There you have instant access to app switching always visible, or even midi mappable to your controller, if you have one.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of using it with AB3 over AUM? I know it's easier to switch between apps with AB3 - but you seem to suggest above that 'Xequence and your chord apps [can be] loaded inside AB3'. Hmm, not used AB3 in quite some time - off to have a little look. Thanks.

App switching, transport controls always available everywhere, audiobus remote, midi clock / Link sync, AB’s awesome midi learn capabilities (some of which are also available in AUM) ... and state saving come to mind.

Plus loading inside of AUM by IAA isn’t officially supported. It’s a side-effect of Audiobus capability.

That said, you don’t have to load it in anything. It will still send and receive midi whereever you need it.

Thanks, Wim - very useful info. I'm just playing around in AB3 with it. For some reason, AB3 is saving the state of Xequence but not AUM. I'm using iPadOS, though, and obviously it's just beta. Having neglected AB3 for so long after the arrival of AUM, I think I might well need to take a further look. Just bought Fieldscaper, too, which is not AUV3, so maybe all this is pushing me of just hosting both xequence and AUM in AB3. It's just that I've always strived toward a single hosting system to make music, and doing things as I think might be useful I'd be using 3! I like it in theory, but I'm wondering if the practice will be too cumbersome to take over several hours at a time. Time will tell, but thanks for the heads up - it definitely is an interesting possibility. Oh, btw - does AB3 remote work with AUM channels, e.g. you can mute channel 1 or solo it, etc.? If so, that would definitely be really handy.

• edited July 2019

@echoopera said:

@Eye0sStudios said:

@echoopera said:

Wha? That’s odd. Should be in there. Let me try again to save...hrmmm no go. Not sure why the Project wouldn’t be saved. @SevenSystems any thoughts on why the Xequence Project isn’t saved?

Can you check if you have the latest Audiobus update installed? That fixed an issue with state saving.

@audio_DT are you absolutely positive that AUM state is also sometimes not saved with the Audiobus preset? I've been haunted with state saving problems since the day I've added it to Xequence, and I'd be totally happy to know I'm not alone ;)

• I’m hosting everything in AB3 including AUM and it all works great!

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@audio_DT said:
    Thanks, Wim - very useful info. I'm just playing around in AB3 with it. For some reason, AB3 is saving the state of Xequence but not AUM. I'm using iPadOS, though, and obviously it's just beta.

I believe the AUM state save is a known issue waiting for apple to approve an AB3 update. I could be wrong on that point though. If so you should definitely report it. I seem to have better luck with state save if I save from within Audiobus from the menu than when I save from the sidebar.

Oh, btw - does AB3 remote work with AUM channels, e.g. you can mute channel 1 or solo it, etc.? If so, that would definitely be really handy.

No, AUM doesn’t expose that functionality. You can control anything with remote that appears in the AB sidebar, but not anything else.

One thought is to set up midi over bluetooth between devices, then have a keyboard app open on the other device and use midi learn. This would work with or without Audiobus.

• @SevenSystems said:

@echoopera said:

@Eye0sStudios said:

@echoopera said:

Can you check if you have the latest Audiobus update installed? That fixed an issue with state saving.

@audio_DT are you absolutely positive that AUM state is also sometimes not saved with the Audiobus preset? I've been haunted with state saving problems since the day I've added it to Xequence, and I'd be totally happy to know I'm not alone ;)

Yep. Running latest and greatest. I’ll try and diagnose later and post my findings.

• @echoopera and everyone else -- sorry to hear there's appearently still problems with state saving. This is very likely a bug in Audiobus; can you make sure you've installed the latest version of Audiobus? An update fixed problems related to state saving a few days ago.

(note that the problem is not with loading, it is unfortunately with saving. So once a preset is hosed, it is hosed.)

• @echoopera said:

@SevenSystems said:

@echoopera said:

@Eye0sStudios said:

@echoopera said:

Yep. Running latest and greatest. I’ll try and diagnose later and post my findings.

Well, I've only tried it on the one project I've created (having not used AB3 for years now), but, no, it didn't save the state of AUM, but did Xequence.

• @wim. You having any issues with state saving?

• @echoopera -- just checked that preset, and it appearently contains a mix of Xequence 1 and Xequence 2. Not sure if that's the cause of the problem, but it seems possible.

• edited July 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    @echoopera -- just checked that preset, and it appearently contains a mix of Xequence 1 and Xequence 2. Not sure if that's the cause of the problem, but it seems possible.

That’s odd. I only have Xequence 2 installed on my iPad.

• edited July 2019

@echoopera said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @echoopera -- just checked that preset, and it appearently contains a mix of Xequence 1 and Xequence 2. Not sure if that's the cause of the problem, but it seems possible.

That’s odd. I only have Xequence 2 installed on my iPad.

Never mind. It’s hard to tell difference between icons when small.

• @Eye0sStudios OK, I hope that was the cause of the problem then! And you can now update your profile picture! ;)

• @SevenSystems @echoopera So trying not to confuse this. So I deleted version 1 of Xequence. Yes I have latest version of AB. And there are still no midi files in any Xequence in that preset.

• @Eye0sStudios said:
    @SevenSystems @echoopera So trying not to confuse this. So I deleted version 1 of Xequence. Yes I have latest version of AB. And there are still no midi files in any Xequence in that preset.

Does that happen for NEW presets you create as well?

• edited July 2019

I get the state saving bug still sometimes
    Can’t seem to figure it out
    With AB3 preset saving not state saving Xequence, no prompt shows
    Latest updates installed
    I had it on the last update of xequence1 as well I remember

• OK, I just can't afford to offer a feature that so much depends on, but which seemingly is broken not only for Xequence, but also for other apps. Maybe it would be better to remove it.

For what it's worth: Xequence 2 shows a warning dialog the first time you use state saving, did you see that @ruggedsmooth @Eye0sStudios @echoopera? I might phrase that one a bit more drastic.

• BTW, state saving has been tested extensively during the beta, and I've also tested it right now for about an hour with every kind of "mean" abuse I could imagine, and it worked every time. I'm simply out of options here. There must be something special that some users do, in a certain order etc., which has never been done during beta testing. I'd still love to know a reproducible way to make this happen.

Until I can reliably reproduce the problem, I cannot do anything about it other than the warning dialog that recommends the regular "normal" saves.

Sorry about that!

• @SevenSystems said:
    BTW, state saving has been tested extensively during the beta, and I've also tested it right now for about an hour with every kind of "mean" abuse I could imagine, and it worked every time. I'm simply out of options here. There must be something special that some users do, in a certain order etc., which has never been done during beta testing. I'd still love to know a reproducible way to make this happen.

Until I can reliably reproduce the problem, I cannot do anything about it other than the warning dialog that recommends the regular "normal" saves.

Sorry about that!

The one thing that i did do was switch between the two AB options in the MidiOut panel. At first i wasn’t getting any sound out of the synths, i then fumbled between to two AB options and finally looked at the manual to get it to connect. Not sure if that switching ON/OFF had any affect on it.

I’ll try to set up things again later and see where i end up. It might require a specific workflow for the State/Project saving to work.

• So i open up AB
    Add Xequence as midi
    Add au Aparillo
    Make midi connections in Xequence
    Test sound.. good.
    Put a few notes in.
    Play again and it’s good
    Save project in Xequence
    Save new preset in AB
    Go to load it and Xequence opens to dialogue of new project or load existing one. Even if I load existing the midi connections are not saved.

• edited July 2019

@Eye0sStudios just did exactly that, and it works!

Could you maybe do this again and record everything with iOS screen recording? There might be just one tiny little step, a certain way you do something, or even the timing of events that affects the outcome.

Thanks a lot! The first person who manages to show me a reliable way to make this fail gets 7 free beers!

EDIT: Please check your PM!