Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• edited July 2019

@zah said:
    A few more questions @SevenSystems , since you’re here:

**When I am in the Piano Roll, how do I shift over to the next clip in the timeline? Or do I have to go back to the Arrange page again?

Yes, that is correct, there's no way to jump between clips directly from the pianoroll editor.

**How do I split a note in the Piano Roll?

Sorry, there's no "Split" feature in the pianoroll, but sounds like an interesting feature for an update. I'm not exactly sure in what situations this would be used though, I didn't have the need to do so myself so far... could you maybe give an example? (what you could do instead is select the note you want to split, then shorten it from the right up to the split point, and then duplicate it.)

**How do I paint a row of 16th note highhats into a clip?

That could be done using the "Fill" feature in the PROCESS menu: Select a note, set the editing grid to the desired repetition rate, then PROCESS -> Fill, which will copy the note up to the end of the clip.

• @audio_DT said:
    I’m really loving this app. X1 never quite gelled with me, but x2 is amazing.

+1 -the workflow is substantially easier now, and all of the new help documentation and user prompts are especially helpful!

• Here's a little preview of the most important addition to the 2.1.0 update, which is already baking in the Seven Systems oven! ;)

• edited July 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    Here's a little preview of the most important addition to the 2.1.0 update, which is already baking in the Seven Systems oven! ;)

I’ve been formulating a feature request for something similar, but this is far more elegant than what I had envisioned.

B)

• @blakkaz said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Here's a little preview of the most important addition to the 2.1.0 update, which is already baking in the Seven Systems oven! ;)

I’ve been formulating a feature request for something similar, but this is far more elegant than what I had envisioned.

B)

When new features are announced before you're done writing your request, you know you've made the right choice! 😉🎸

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    @SevenSystems said:
    Here's a little preview of the most important addition to the 2.1.0 update, which is already baking in the Seven Systems oven!

Nice!
    Would this perhaps be a good time to consider some kind of track collapse feature, where you could collapse / expand the separate tracks for an instrument? The idea would be maybe long-press on a track, and all the tracks below it for a single instrument would collapse to display just one line on the timeline. Just a thought. I start to feel discombobulated when I get too many tracks to scroll through.

• @wim said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @SevenSystems said:
    Here's a little preview of the most important addition to the 2.1.0 update, which is already baking in the Seven Systems oven!

Nice!
    Would this perhaps be a good time to consider some kind of track collapse feature, where you could collapse / expand the separate tracks for an instrument? The idea would be maybe long-press on a track, and all the tracks below it for a single instrument would collapse to display just one line on the timeline. Just a thought. I start to feel discombobulated when I get too many tracks to scroll through.

Yes, that's something I'm considering, it shouldn't be too much hassle to add.

For now though, as you could see at the end of the video, the Multi-Take recording has this absolutely magnificent "Use this take" button so all your unused auto-added tracks vanish in a heartbeat 😉

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @SevenSystems said:

Nice!

For now though, as you could see at the end of the video, the Multi-Take recording has this absolutely magnificent "Use this take" button so all your unused auto-added tracks vanish in a heartbeat 😉

Wow - yes, that is definitely magnificent!

• edited July 2019

@SevenSystems said:

That's going to be extremely useful!
    No more tapping the undo and recording again. Just keep the loop playing, and recording into new tracks until you get it the way you want it, then delete the rest.

Really cool ! :smile:

• @SevenSystems said:

@Gunark said:
    So this is like an old school midi sequencer like Atari ST Cubase or Creator, and with AUM (for example) standing in for the old hardware studio then? Like we used to do in the 90s, just on an iPad?

Yes, that actually sums it up quite nicely 🙂 Xequence is actually used by a lot of hardware guys too.

This appeals to me.
    I used to record like that on my Amiga 2000 with Dr. T’s “Keyboard Controlled Sequencer” (KCS) and Dr. T’s “The Copyist” which was very expensive at the time... ca 1990. I used a Roland D-20 which is the multi-timbral version of the D-50. My D20 is still functioning very well :smile:

• @Eye0sStudios said:
    No what is sad is that almost any AB presets that some one posts I guarantee I own all the apps in it. I have a problem. LOL.

lol - I have the same “problem” - not anything left to buy.

• @wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Wow ableton start stop is truly awesome with X2, Funk Drummer!
    Feels so natural like playing with real drummer!

...and Funk Drummer won’t try to steal your girlfriend. ;)

LoL but grooovy Funk Drummer can easily steal your joint if you put the end into the headphone socket 💨

• @SevenSystems congratulations with the release of version 2 of Xequence, and after reading all about it here... (I was in doubt at first since I own version 1)... but I’m heading over to AppStore to buy it. I like developers who are dedicated to us users.

• @Kühl thanks a lot for being on board!

Yes, before computers became as extremely powerful as they are now, having a dedicated sequencer was really the only way to go, and as I'm rather old, I still feel very comfortable with it...

• edited July 2019

@sisterkate said:
    Recently got X2 what a. great tool for sequencing. Find it very user friendly on the Iphone. A lot to like including it works standalone so I can quickly capture ideas, and easy to learn as it has a manual.

I need some help with a problem I found when working on an uptempo latin dance groove in 12/8.
    The tempo feels like a 4/4 to the listener or dancers 1-an-a, 2-an-a, 3-an-a, 4-an-a,

I could not get the bpm to relate to the tempo of the 4 on the floor instead of the 8th notes.
    I also imported some drums/percussions midi from DrumStudio into X2 and any swing or groove settings were all there! But anything in 6/8 or 12/8 I could not use because of tempo issues. The workaround I tried making it 4/4 with triplets unfortunately made what was 1 bar before, become 1 and a half bar long

I understand that ''for simple meters, the lower number of the time signature is the beat value, that corresponds to the BPM of the tempo. For compound meters like. 6/8 and 12/8 the beat value is typically 3 times the lower number of the time signature, In the case of 6/8 and 12/8, this is three eighths, or a dotted quarter''

@SevenSystems thanks for listening and a request for a solution in X2

Hi again -- if you're still reading here: I've just had another look at your feedback... would any of these help in your case until the issue is "properly" fixed:

• the ability to increase the BPM beyond 240 with the slider? (this could be enabled in the next update)
    • have you tried timestretching (or squeezing) your imported MIDI loops? (you can enable timestretching by toggling the "Clock" button with another finger while pulling the left or right handles).
  • The best just gets better! Thank you !!!

@horsetrainer said:

@SevenSystems said:

That's going to be extremely useful!
    No more tapping the undo and recording again. Just keep the loop playing, and recording into new tracks until you get it the way you want it, then delete the rest.

Really cool ! :smile:

• Getting close to Ableton live 10's "capture" feature.

• edited July 2019

Just bought Xequence 2 having never used Xequence 1. Enjoying it so much. One thing I can’t seem to figure out is how to sync the playhead in aum with Xequence. If I try to record midi from something like collider I have to go in to manually hit play in aum. I know I can do it with ab3 with midi learn but I thought with Xequence 2 I didn’t need to use ab3. I just watched the audio dabbler’s video on X2 on YouTube and all my midi settings seem to be the same as his and he seemed to be able to trigger aum to play when he hit record in Xequence effortlessly.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

• @honkimon said:
    Just bought Xequence 2 having never used Xequence 1. Enjoying it so much. One thing I can’t seem to figure out is how to sync the playhead in aum with Xequence. If I try to record midi from something like collider I have to go in to manually hit play in aum. I know I can do it with ab3 with midi learn but I thought with Xequence 2 I didn’t need to use ab3. I just watched the audio dabbler’s video on YouTube and all my midi settings seem to be the same as his and he seemed to be able to trigger aum to play when he hit record in Xequence effortlessly.

Take a look at the manual. There are directions there about setting them up. You will need to turn on appropriate sync options. Ableton Link is probably easiest.

• @espiegel123 said:

@honkimon said:
    Just bought Xequence 2 having never used Xequence 1. Enjoying it so much. One thing I can’t seem to figure out is how to sync the playhead in aum with Xequence. If I try to record midi from something like collider I have to go in to manually hit play in aum. I know I can do it with ab3 with midi learn but I thought with Xequence 2 I didn’t need to use ab3. I just watched the audio dabbler’s video on YouTube and all my midi settings seem to be the same as his and he seemed to be able to trigger aum to play when he hit record in Xequence effortlessly.

Take a look at the manual. There are directions there about setting them up. You will need to turn on appropriate sync options. Ableton Link is probably easiest.

I’m a moron. In AUM I just had to select the option under Ableton link to sync start/stop!

• Would it be possible to have link sync without it taking a break to catch up when the tempo is changed? It currently drops out and comes back in a few beats later but most apps can follow tempo changes (dynamically) over Link rather smoothly without needing to do this.

• @BroCoast said:
    Would it be possible to have link sync without it taking a break to catch up when the tempo is changed? It currently drops out and comes back in a few beats later but most apps can follow tempo changes (dynamically) over Link rather smoothly without needing to do this.

Sorry, that's the one limitation in Xequence we want to get rid of some day, but for now, Xequence is limited to a fixed tempo (that's also why it doesn't provide a tempo track). So each time the tempo changes significantly, it has to do a re-sync.

• edited July 2019

Was wondering, if I wanted to extract say the drums only how could I do it? Say I wanted to fix some parts of the Drums in the midi but after fixing it wanted to combine it again to export it as a midi style and play it on another app; would this be possible? You see originally these files were .sty files but I renamed the extension to .mid to be able to edit the midi file.

@SevenSystems said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/twwjuyjg9873t6k/16BtRockBld70..mid?dl=0

Here’s the midi file I was trying to extract into X2:

Thanks, will have a look why it gives problems!

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Was wondering, if I wanted to extract say the drums only how could I do it? Say I wanted to fix some parts of the Drums in the midi but after fixing it wanted to combine it again to export it as a midi style and play it on another app; would this be possible? You see originally these files were .sty files but I renamed the extension to .mid to be able to edit the midi file.

@SevenSystems said:

@Tones4Christ said:

I've never heard of ".sty" files, but I doubt the re-exported files would work flawlessly... the manufacturer probably has very stringent requirements on the structure as they essentially use MIDI files in a proprietary way... but it's worth a try! (just rename the .mid file to .sty again somehow after exporting ...)

• .STY files are basically Yamaha midi file I guess a crammed up into a single midi track. But if one changes the file extension to .MID, One is able to edit the file and or load it into midi sequencers.

Yeah that’s my goal. But right now I have no idea yet how to separate the midi tracks. Sometimes there’s a great pattern playing say in channel 12 but I’d like to sort of make it a little different, so I’d like to edit it and then save it all up again and test the style in the One Man Ban Lite app.

@SevenSystems said:

@Tones4Christ said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Tones4Christ said:

I've never heard of ".sty" files, but I doubt the re-exported files would work flawlessly... the manufacturer probably has very stringent requirements on the structure as they essentially use MIDI files in a proprietary way... but it's worth a try! (just rename the .mid file to .sty again somehow after exporting ...)

• @Tones4Christ Yes, separating imported MIDI files by channel is planned for the near future. 🙂

• You are da man!!!! Thank you Sir !❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🎸🎹🎧🎼🐶🤓

@SevenSystems said:
    @Tones4Christ Yes, separating imported MIDI files by channel is planned for the near future. 🙂

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:
    Would this perhaps be a good time to consider some kind of track collapse feature, where you could collapse / expand the separate tracks for an instrument?

This for me will be interesting. Organizing the whole project leaves tons of tracks. 1 for marker, one for each chord in the chord progression (i like keeping these layed down), then one for each instrument. And the drums are generally separated one for each component too :lol: and not counting the CC tracks

Like how reaper manages folder tracks

• edited July 2019

• @SevenSystems said:

@sisterkate said:
    Recently got X2 what a. great tool for sequencing. Find it very user friendly on the Iphone. A lot to like including it works standalone so I can quickly capture ideas, and easy to learn as it has a manual.

I need some help with a problem I found when working on an uptempo latin dance groove in 12/8.
    The tempo feels like a 4/4 to the listener or dancers 1-an-a, 2-an-a, 3-an-a, 4-an-a,

I could not get the bpm to relate to the tempo of the 4 on the floor instead of the 8th notes.
    I also imported some drums/percussions midi from DrumStudio into X2 and any swing or groove settings were all there! But anything in 6/8 or 12/8 I could not use because of tempo issues. The workaround I tried making it 4/4 with triplets unfortunately made what was 1 bar before, become 1 and a half bar long

I understand that ''for simple meters, the lower number of the time signature is the beat val

Hi again -- if you're still reading here: I've just had another look at your feedback... would any of these help in your case until the issue is "properly" fixed:

• the ability to increase the BPM beyond 240 with the slider? (this could be enabled in the next update)
    • have you tried timestretching (or squeezing) your imported MIDI loops? (you can enable timestretching by toggling the "Clock" button with another finger while pulling the left or right handles).

@SevenSystems said:

@sisterkate said:

I understand that ''for simple meters, the lower number of the time signature is the beat value, that corresponds to the BPM of the tempo. For compound meters like. 6/8 and 12/8 the beat value is typically 3 times the lower number of the time signature, In the case of 6/8 and 12/8, this is three eighths, or a dotted quarter''

@SevenSystems Thank you very much for kindly offering workarounds. For now temporarily I continue on the 12/8 project in my notation app Harmony Pro. For sure I will move it back to X2 asap because IMO it is the best sequencer on ios.

I am very happy to hear that you want to get the time signatures/bpm issue correct especially as I collaborate with others with different Daws and also because of working in music education, often I have to export midi into notation apps to print for students. In fact I can see this app very useful for music students. With X2 and Harmony Pro you can virtually have Sibelious in your pocket.

I feel that 6/8 is fairly common in folksongs, lullabies, jigs and popular music eg James Brown - It's a mans world, Rihanna - Love on the brain, The Beatles - Norwegian Wood. There is also Leftfield's - 6/8 War and the 12/8 classic Michael Jackson - The way you make me feel and Britney Spears - Womanizer.

thank you for coming back on this also I really like the upcoming loop recording feature> @SevenSystems said:

@sisterkate said:

@SevenSystems Thank you very much for kindly offering workarounds. For now temporarily I continued the 12/8 track in my notation app Harmony Pro. For sure I will move it back to X2 asap because IMO it is the best sequencer for capturing inspiration on ios.

I am very happy to hear that you want to get the time signatures/bpm issue correct especially as I collaborate with others with different Daws. Also because of working in music education sometimes I do have to export midi into notation apps to print for students. On reflection your app would be very useful to music students. With X2 and Harmony Pro you can virtually have Sibelious in your pocket!

I feel that compound time like 6/8 is fairly common in folksongs, lullabies, jigs and popular music, like James Brown - It's a mans world, Rihanna - Love on the brain or The Beatles - Norwegian Wood. There is also Leftfield's - 6/8 War and in 12/8 the classic Michael Jackson - The way you make me feel and Britney Spears - Womanizer.

thank you for coming back on this