Song Of The Month Club - July 2019

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

  • My entry for the month:

  • Our entry for this month is a song with Doc Sticko. We met each other on a French forum.
    https://soundcloud.com/viventlesmusiques/cest-vrai-cest-sur-doc-stickokitusai

    As it is in French I tried a translation:

    That's right, that's for sure

    Yeah, that's right
    Yes, that's for sure
    That's right, that's for sure

    It's a very nice little island under the sun
    Hot sand and tall palm trees
    Kids having fun

    My God, how much the Creator did it well
    For us ?
    We really have nothing more to plan than a good break
    That's right, that's for sure

    All that has been said under the shade of the mango trees,
    There is everything to make a paradise,
    That's right, that's for sure

    And after the slave trade, the debt,
    Poverty, misery and frustration
    Billions to compensate settlers,
    Poverty, misery and desertion
    That's right, that's for sure

    1791, the great insurrection,
    The bravery of Toussaint Louverture,
    The tragedy of King Christopher,
    The Emperor Dessalines and his dictatorship,
    1804, first Black independent republic

    No offense to the adorers of Christopher Columbus.

  • Here is our contribution for this month. Sticking to that country vibe.

  • @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month:

    Love the overall production on this one and musically it’s really good. You get a great beat going right from the start and I love the introduction and the section after the first chorus. The vocals in the chorus are a bit pitchy particularly the first chorus.

  • @Kitusai said:
    Our entry for this month is a song with Doc Sticko. We met each other on a French forum.
    https://soundcloud.com/viventlesmusiques/cest-vrai-cest-sur-doc-stickokitusai

    As it is in French I tried a translation:

    That's right, that's for sure

    Yeah, that's right
    Yes, that's for sure
    That's right, that's for sure

    It's a very nice little island under the sun
    Hot sand and tall palm trees
    Kids having fun

    My God, how much the Creator did it well
    For us ?
    We really have nothing more to plan than a good break
    That's right, that's for sure

    All that has been said under the shade of the mango trees,
    There is everything to make a paradise,
    That's right, that's for sure

    And after the slave trade, the debt,
    Poverty, misery and frustration
    Billions to compensate settlers,
    Poverty, misery and desertion
    That's right, that's for sure

    1791, the great insurrection,
    The bravery of Toussaint Louverture,
    The tragedy of King Christopher,
    The Emperor Dessalines and his dictatorship,
    1804, first Black independent republic

    No offense to the adorers of Christopher Columbus.

    The overall production is really good and there are lots of interesting sounds going on and a nice beat. I think it was missing a hook and needed something to break up the talking. Maybe steal some ideas from Eminem and sample another song as a chorus.

  • @orchardman thanks for the listen and for the feedback. Sorry I haven’t had a chance to listen to your song yet, I will make some time on Monday and catch up.

  • edited July 7

    Its been awhile since I've been around here. I just finished a new tune, thought I'd drop it here. Excited to hear everyone else's tracks this month!

  • sorry for being quiet guys. Been busy with promos & stuff. Anyway, This might feel like a plug, but, it a YouTube vid.. Virtually all my stuff been signed up now.. So I thought the only way I could share with you all, without peeing anyone off.. This is the Radio Edit off my album Darren Studholme “Love Time”... This is not intentional to be a plug, that’s why I didn’t post Spotify link..

  • @richardyot Cool and Melodic (-melancholic). With still this flying Syd Barrett pop voice in my head. I like it. This manner you have to turn around the melody is very personal and catching for me. Kind of classy signature.

    @orchardman (=L'homme du verger ?) very good country, I like it even if I'm not a specialist in this kind of music. The vocal is just perfect (less effects than the previous song isn't it?) + I agree with what you said about our song: we could have add something. I'll try a new mix if I get time to like you suggest even if (shame on me) I quietly know nothing about Eminem except his name :-1: Hey! He know less about Kitusai!

    @gburks Surprising and intense. Very good pop, made me happy and smile even if I don't understand what you say! Hope it's not a sad song or I'd be out of the tempo :-) It reminds me a bit of Tears for Fears music.

    @studs1966 it's not my kind of music but thanks to share. It is absolutely pro and well done and dancing. Hey, it made shake my old butt (explicit?). I enjoyed the sax near the end and I would have liked it more in front.

    @All : many styles, personalities and... talents! This forum is definitely cool with good vibes, thanks.

  • @orchardman said:
    Here is our contribution for this month. Sticking to that country vibe.

    I have to say the quality of the vocal melodies in your last two tracks is really outstanding, well done. This one is full of melancholy but still very beautiful, and the musical backing really complements, the guitar accents are lovely.

    The country vibe works well, and the arrangement and overall musicality are top-notch. No crits from me, it's a great track.

  • @Kitusai said:
    Our entry for this month is a song with Doc Sticko. We met each other on a French forum.

    It's kind of an unusual style of rap, although Doc Sticko does have a compelling baritone which adds a lot to the delivery. The vocal is well delivered and there is a rhythmic quality to the delivery that propels the track along.

    The music adds some interesting percussive accents behind the voice, and some of the sound effects are really fun.

  • @richardyot said:

    @orchardman said:
    Here is our contribution for this month. Sticking to that country vibe.

    I have to say the quality of the vocal melodies in your last two tracks is really outstanding, well done. This one is full of melancholy but still very beautiful, and the musical backing really complements, the guitar accents are lovely.

    The country vibe works well, and the arrangement and overall musicality are top-notch. No crits from me, it's a great track.

    Thanks Richard. All the credit for the vocal melodies must go to my wife. She is really the one with all the talent in this outfit.

  • @gburks said:
    Its been awhile since I've been around here. I just finished a new tune, thought I'd drop it here. Excited to hear everyone else's tracks this month!

    This has a real 90s feel about it, reminds me of pre-Britpop indie stuff, nice psychedelic vocal and very bubbly and poppy arrangement.

    The horns are great, and really give the song a lift.

  • @gburks whats up dude. great track. love the song. like the drums. live ? anyways sounds great. i don't understand some of what you say. but then again i get told that always

  • @orchardman ive got to say you guys have become quite the songwriting team. sounds great, your really locking your sound in. like the melody and art work.

  • @Kitusai very unique. i love the sounds buzzing away . and vocal sounds great. never heard anything like it . ill tell you that. it has some qualities that can be heard in a classy elevator that then goes on vacation

  • @richardyot you have a style in your chord progression thats almost unmistakable. your vocals are definitely a style you locked in. vox sounds great btw. trip noises you got there huh. a

  • @trackedout Wow! A big smile and stiff straight hair on the head! (I don't know if this is correct out of Google translation but you get the idea right? :D
    It reminds me Marc Bolan at his best rock side with T Rex but years later with punk and Nirvana coming in between. Incredibly intense and original. I love it!

Sign In or Register to comment.