Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMachine 2 just got updated

iMaschine was my first love on my iPhone 4. It's the app that showed me the power of making music on an iDevice. It lured me down the road of the iPads. I made an entire album based on demos done in iMaschine.

The unfortunate reality is that I'm not a Maschine user, so iMaschine ended up being a sandbox I couldn't escape. It was unfortunate because I have TONS and TONS of jams for both iMaschine and iMaschine 2.

I love that this is getting attention again, but I hesitate to go back to all it's limitations. Anyone here still using iMaschine?

Comments

• Hell yeah! Twas my gateway app as well and is still my go to for making quick beats when I only have a few minutes.

• It just got updated to support iOS 12. That’s it?

• My excitement got so high then boom iOS 12 only update.

• Seriously. Weak. Would love to export/import midi without having to output to Maschine on my iMac and then export the midi for each track, and then import etc etc

• @Thardus said:
    Seriously. Weak. Would love to export/import midi without having to output to Maschine on my iMac and then export the midi for each track, and then import etc etc

Yep - this exactly. I did this one time - never again. What a PITA.

• Midi export would be awesome. And be able to copy the samples out of the app again.

• Wow, I was excited when I saw this thread, then i discover its nothing and it isn’t even installable on ios11 anymore....c’mon NI, you’re better than this. They’re sleeping on the platform of the future. Their concept of it being a stripped down scratchpad meant to be integrated onto desktop at a later date is so outdated.

• @drez said:
    It just got updated to support iOS 12. That’s it?

NI needed to give their summer interns a project ;)

• Well, a simple update, but -typically- although I've had a Maschine Mk3 since Chrimble it hadn't occurred to my tiny mind that I could output imaschine sketches right to it....and thus I'm grateful to this thread..... Very much the lost a nickel and found a fiver feeling...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Well, a simple update, but -typically- although I've had a Maschine Mk3 since Chrimble it hadn't occurred to my tiny mind that I could output imaschine sketches right to it....and thus I'm grateful to this thread..... Very much the lost a nickel and found a fiver feeling...

Yep and it does a beautiful job rendering to Maschine too.. Not much needed to make iMachine a monster.. The Maschine Audio Plug-in and MiDi In can make it stand out..

• NI is losing a great opportunity with this app, especially considered how other big companies are playing in iOS. Is there any way to attract a company as NI into iOS, apart from making toys as iMaschine? Can we, as users and actual and potential costumers, make a difference in their choices?

• @Yalexein said:
    NI is losing a great opportunity with this app

What opportunity are they losing exactly?

What makes you think that opportunity is worth more resources than the things they have chosen to work on?

• @robertreynolds said:

@Yalexein said:

What makes you think that opportunity is worth more resources than the things they have chosen to work on?

In my opinion, They are missing out on being first to market, even tho they were in a way first to market. They have a platform on iOS that could be opened up to their hardware that users would love. If they stopped being half baked with their iOS presence, they would instantly gain a huge market share, especially if they make iMaschine an AUv3 or a Groovebox that can host auv3’s. If they weren’t on iOS at all I’d question if it’s worth it, but since they’ve made an app at all, showing it some love and updating it for modern times would be nice.

I think they originally wanted to create a scratchpad to start projects on and then dump them onto desktop to finish them. They were early so one can’t blame them, as iOS has evolved very much since then. But that’s the wrong approach for an app
    in iOS in 2019.

We want a powerful itb solution like we have on desktop for Maschine and/or an AUv3 of it and/or some hardware compatibility and/or all the above. With NanoStudio 2, BeatMaker 3, Cubasis and others, we have proof that iOS can handle it. NI has huge desktop market share, marketing, and a great grasp on ‘native’ app development since before ‘native’ was considered pro (DSP/TDM based systems were considered pro then). So I believe they can handle efficient iOS development (if they still have the staff members).

I’d like to also see some attempt at a Komplete AUv3 suite or a striped down version (call it NKomplete 😂) for the iPad/iOS.

• I honestly don’t understand why any well-established music company offers any support for iOS. We know the revenue is limited. Unless an app is ridiculously competitive, it’s only going to hurt the brand with established musicians. I mean, you said it yourself, we already have NS2, BM3, Cubasis and others. Why would NI try to compete with that?

• NI can't compete, they have no staff, and what they do have left is half time hacks and idiots, with a couple of quality people working on Kontakt and Reaktor in their spare time.

• I don’t believe you.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@robertreynolds said:

@Yalexein said:

In my opinion, They are missing out on being first to market, even tho they were in a way first to market. They have a platform on iOS that could be opened up to their hardware that users would love. If they stopped being half baked with their iOS presence, they would instantly gain a huge market share, especially if they make iMaschine an AUv3 or a Groovebox that can host auv3’s. If they weren’t on iOS at all I’d question if it’s worth it, but since they’ve made an app at all, showing it some love and updating it for modern times would be nice.

I think they originally wanted to create a scratchpad to start projects on and then dump them onto desktop to finish them. They were early so one can’t blame them, as iOS has evolved very much since then. But that’s the wrong approach for an app
    in iOS in 2019.

We want a powerful itb solution like we have on desktop for Maschine and/or an AUv3 of it and/or some hardware compatibility and/or all the above. With NanoStudio 2, BeatMaker 3, Cubasis and others, we have proof that iOS can handle it. NI has huge desktop market share, marketing, and a great grasp on ‘native’ app development since before ‘native’ was considered pro (DSP/TDM based systems were considered pro then). So I believe they can handle efficient iOS development (if they still have the staff members).

I’d like to also see some attempt at a Komplete AUv3 suite or a striped down version (call it NKomplete 😂) for the iPad/iOS.

I agree virtually on everything.

• @Yalexein said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@robertreynolds said:

@Yalexein said:

in iOS in 2019.

Of course, none of us has any idea what the relative return on investment is for NI (or any other company) when developing for desktop vs iOS. So, they might be missing an opportunity to make less money :)

I suspect that some of the larger companies investing in iOS development are not doing it so much for profit now but as either (or both) a hedge against a future where mobile platforms are more profitable and/or solidifying brand loyalty (and maybe converting some iOS users to users of their hardware or desktop software).

• @robertreynolds said:
    I don’t believe you.

Go and read that wonderful invention called the internet then, it isn't hard to find reports from insiders at NI, the companywill be sold entirely soon enough.

• Source:
    https://cdm.link/2019/09/native-instruments-support-changes/

IMHO NI is following the Avid path being Traktor the new Torq.

Serato disbanded with Rane and kept themselves isolated as software developers and maybe NI is trying to replicate that due the fact they fired the hardware division but time will tell us. I hope NI survives for the user base but I also expect sales in the hardware side, stopping updates and being buyed by someone. Avid was even more standard than them and ...where are they nowadays?

The sad part is when history is repeated again and again and CEOs don’t take proper notes on others failure...

• Will be pretty sweet when Ableton buys them :trollface:

• @Yalexein said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@robertreynolds said:

@Yalexein said:

in iOS in 2019.

I agree as well. the fact that N.I. would choose to cripple a feature such as Core MIDI, which is a built-in feature of IOS tells me all I need to know. Akai chose the opposite route with their IOS companion app. and added (via Retronyms) as many features as possible. It has led to more sales of their MPC desktop units. N.I.'s paranoia about IOS cannibalizing sales has blown up in their faces:)

• For a moment I was really hopeful that they updated it now, but then realized this is an old thread.

Curse you Capn! :lol:

• @michael_m said:
    For a moment I was really hopeful that they updated it now, but then realized this is an old thread.

I always feel a preemptive cringe opening old threads, wondering what asinine stuff I said that lay within.

• I guess it can be useful now as we have ATOM2 Helium and LK midi apps.. I’ll give it a shot.. Wishing for Probability in Maschine now..

• The Audio engine would be a killer in this app..

• @CapnWillie said:

@michael_m said:
    For a moment I was really hopeful that they updated it now, but then realized this is an old thread.

My bad bro!

It does seem that way now.smh. I should have made a new ode to iMaschine thread.😩🤦🏽‍♂️

Well here’s hoping they do. I’d love to see it get an overhaul, especially if it could export to cloud for import to Maschine software.

• 😂 I got excited