Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

As The Intua Turns: BM3 is Alive

Comments

• Serious question to everyone. Does the majority experience frequent crashes in BM3 or does the majority have smooth runnings mostly (like myself)?

• @wim said:
    I’ve worked with a lot of software developers over the years and I recognize Vincent’s type. He’ll communicate only when he absolutely has to, reveal as little as he possibly can get away with, and not genuinely listen to what anyone else has to say. Some engineers should never, ever, be saddled with communication duty. :#

This infuriates most of us conditioned in “the customer is always right” mentality. We think of it from the perspective of how screwed up things would have to be to cause us to act that way. But I bet in reality its simply that it’s just deeply ingrained in his personality and ain’t never gonna change.

So, all the hand wringing, though perhaps therapeutic, changes nothing. He’s the resource working on the project (I’m guessing the only one, but doesn’t matter if not). That isn’t going to change. Updates are going to get released according to his abilities, both in quality and pace. I have strong suspicions about that ability, but will keep that to myself.

For me, I’ve decided to set BM3 aside. I’ll pick it up after the next update to try it out, watch the comments, and re-evaluate whether it’s worth my time.

Captured my thoughts exactly. I will still finger drum with it because I don’t use any plugins, but I won’t be writing any linear music with it. I definitely won’t buy anything else from intua.

• edited July 2019

@cian said:
    The downgrade release was when I stopped trusting the developer. No updates is one thing, but to make the app actively worse...

My understanding was that AU midi fx were refactored because the initial implementation was technically incorrect (or outdated/incomplete?). Even @brambos (if I recall) had some hacks in the Rozeta code to compensate for this BM3 issue and decided to eventually remove them which made them no longer operable in BM3 for a time.

Aside from that (which seemed like dust settling on a new iOS standard) I hear people have issues with audio monitoring while recording (which I don’t think I do).

My .02 is that the image has suffered far worse than the app itself, unless I just don’t happen to run into these other issues (?) in how I use the app.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited July 2019

I should also say, I bear no ill will toward Vincent. I’m pretty sure he’s doing the best he can and working hard to make the best of the situation. We all get in over our head and we all have certain ways we deal with (or avoid) the people we let down.

He’s got no reason to intentionally screw anything up and every reason to try to find the best path to succeed, even if that doesn’t dovetail with the opinions of the people ranting at him. I expect BM3 to get better. I expect satisfaction with Intua as a company to get worse. That’s just the sad reality when a hard-wired introvert is thrust into the role of marketing, customer service, and sales, in addition to engineering.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@cian said:
    The downgrade release was when I stopped trusting the developer. No updates is one thing, but to make the app actively worse...

My understanding was that AU midi fx were refactored because the initial implementation was technically incorrect (or outdated/incomplete?). Even @brambos (if I recall) had some hacks in the Rozeta code to compensate for this BM3 issue and decided to eventually remove them which made them no longer operable in BM3 for a time.

Aside from that (which seemed like dust settling on a new iOS standard) I hear people have issues with audio monitoring while recording (which I don’t think I do).

My .02 is that the image has suffered far worse than the app itself, unless I just don’t happen to run into these other issues (?) in how I use the app.

They fixed the midi au stuff in 3.1 though...All reports said it worked totally fine. Then Vincent removed it and gave us the current dumbed down Midi Au instead...

But was this ‘working fine in 3.1’ before or after @brambos removed his hack that compensated for the issues in bm3? It sounds like it may have had under the hood issues that would have reared themselves up in the future.

• edited July 2019

Many going on like they bought an Aston Martin...the more we complain about never buying from Intua again and talking harshly about the dev Vincent the less they will feel the need to sort it. Jeeeeeez . Personally its the over the top midi dudes. I actually think Intua want to get back to making it a sample heavy tool for guess who? BEATmakers. Synth dudes there are plenty options. I like buying crusty old vinyl and samples from my hardware and get creative. Bashing Vincent when he has at least responded is some childish stuff.

• edited July 2019

@stormbeats said:
    Everyone is going on like they bought an Aston Martin...the more we complain about never buying from Intua again the less they will feel the need to sort it. Jeeeeeez .

Nah, I’m not complaining. I totally get if it has to be one step back to make two forward sort of thing. If anything I want folks to be chill and hopeful and aware of whatever info may be out there. If it seems I am throwing shade of misinfo that is totally not my intention, insert goofy meme.

• @stormbeats said:
    Everyone is going on like they bought an Aston Martin...the more we complain about never buying from Intua again the less they will feel the need to sort it. Jeeeeeez .

Yeh, like they will decide to walk away from their job and abandon years of effort because of a few posts that they probably don’t read in the first place? Nothin’ we say in these forums is seriously going to affect any of this. None of it does any harm either.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@cian said:

They fixed the midi au stuff in 3.1 though...All reports said it worked totally fine. Then Vincent removed it and gave us the current dumbed down Midi Au instead...

But was this ‘working fine in 3.1’ before or after @brambos removed his hack that compensated for the issues in bm3? It sounds like it may have had under the hood issues that would have reared themselves up in the future.

Working fine AFTER brambos removed the hack...

Well then... cats and dogs are officially living together.

• I would cripple tested working version and release it a year later... :smiley:

On the serious note... I've lost confidence in Intua quiet some time ago.
    There are way too many reported, confirmed issues unresolved, this will take quite some time to sort out at the current pace. But this is the smallest issue imo. If you know what to avoid you work around it. Bigger problem I think is the many inconsistent issues (as described above), I just can't see how these will be addressed. And well, the midi side of the app is probably the worst I've seen on iOS, that is not likely to change...
    I just don't think Intua can fix all the problems.
    On top all this, few questionable decisions, iPhone support...?

I would really like to see how some use the app without crashes, to me that's sci-fi.

• @stormbeats said:
    Personally its the over the top midi dudes.

Yeah... it's always those midi dudes. Can't trust 'em.

• @brambos said:

@stormbeats said:

@brambos only the over the top ones.

• @stormbeats said:

@brambos said:

@stormbeats said:

I don't even know what that means. Is MIDI triggered by pads somehow different or better than MIDI triggered by a pianoroll?

• @ph8aerror said:
    Serious question to everyone. Does the majority experience frequent crashes in BM3 or does the majority have smooth runnings mostly (like myself)?

Usually problem free for me

• @brambos i will ask my hardware Akai MPC60 tonight.

• @stormbeats said:
    Many going on like they bought an Aston Martin...the more we complain about never buying from Intua again and talking harshly about the dev Vincent the less they will feel the need to sort it. Jeeeeeez . Personally its the over the top midi dudes. I actually think Intua want to get back to making it a sample heavy tool for guess who? BEATmakers. Synth dudes there are plenty options. I like buying crusty old vinyl and samples from my hardware and get creative. Bashing Vincent when he has at least responded is some childish stuff.

I would welcome a simpler app that does specific task well

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@Halftone said:

@ph8aerror said:
    Serious question to everyone. Does the majority experience frequent crashes in BM3 or does the majority have smooth runnings mostly (like myself)?

Usually problem free for me

It hasn’t crashed once for me in over six months!!
    Oh wait ... I haven’t used it in over six months, have I?

• @brambos said:

@stormbeats said:

@brambos said:

@stormbeats said:

I don't even know what that means. Is MIDI triggered by pads somehow different or better than MIDI triggered by a pianoroll?

Apparently when it comes to BM3... yes?

:trollface:

• @AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@cian said:

Bill is my hero.

After Vincent took over development, he contacted me about those hack-things which had already been fixed in the 3.1 beta. My conclusion was that he was not actually working on the 3.1 beta branch but did his own update instead. This seems to match with our collective observations after the latest updates.

• I’d LOVE to love BM3... I’d heard about Matthieu no longer being on BM3 development, but I didn’t know about the uncommitted Beta. I also don’t know anything about Vincent B and any of the hoopla surrounding him. But I hope the end result is positive. I want to use BM3 more!

• @motmeister said:
    I’d LOVE to love BM3... I’d heard about Matthieu no longer being on BM3 development, but I didn’t know about the uncommitted Beta. I also don’t know anything about Vincent B and any of the hoopla surrounding him. But I hope the end result is positive. I want to use BM3 more!

Heh. No one really knows anything about Vincent. We all just makin’ stuff up to sound smart.

I’m sure it’ll improve. Anyone smart enough to deal with BM3’s surely massive code base and do anything at all is smart enough to bring progress over time.

• @brambos said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@cian said:

Bill is my hero.

After Vincent took over development, he contacted me about those hack-things which had already been fixed in the 3.1 beta. My conclusion was that he was not actually working on the 3.1 beta branch but did his own update instead. This seems to match with our collective observations after the latest updates.

The merge conflicts between the two branches might have proven to difficult to sort out :lol:

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@stormbeats said:

@brambos said:

@stormbeats said:

Big world. Lotta people. Not everyone’s making boom bap ;) If they wrecked the Swing or something else that’s important to you that broke your old projects, you’d be vocal about it...

@EyeOhEss Remedy. Save and back up your .ipa files so if updates mess stuff up you can revert/ go back to previous re install with previous ipa version.
    Of course a customer has the right to be a bit peed off but multiply that by many for a dev thats a lot and might just flush it down the toilet/bog/drain..never to be seen again

• @drez said:

@brambos said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AudioGus said:

@cian said:

Bill is my hero.

The merge conflicts between the two branches might have proven to difficult to sort out :lol:

P4 merge brah! Auto-resolve, easy peasy

• @drez said:

This.