Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

As The Intua Turns: BM3 is Alive

Comments

• @audio_DT said:
    I just read this message as indicating a focus on porting the software to other platforms. But surely it needs fixing on its original platform first?

The kinks!

I gave up on BM3 ages ago, and for a multitude of reasons. Off the top of my head: it crashes constantly;

Ages ago it was much worse.

it doesn’t show chords, only notes; some apps/auv3s don’t load; the interface is mind bogglingly complex, and in some ways completely baffling.

Probably not for you then.

• When Beatmaker 3 was released summer of 2017 I was in heaven (lucky as hell), but, the last year I have really lost my intrest of BM3 regarding Intuas bad communication behaviour, and, the bugs and functions that ever never took place although it's two years since release...

Nowadays all my love is placed in Nanostudio 2 and Auria Pro... Good shit!!

• @AudioGus said:

@audio_DT said:
    I just read this message as indicating a focus on porting the software to other platforms. But surely it needs fixing on its original platform first?

The kinks!

I gave up on BM3 ages ago, and for a multitude of reasons. Off the top of my head: it crashes constantly;

it doesn’t show chords, only notes; some apps/auv3s don’t load; the interface is mind bogglingly complex, and in some ways completely baffling.

Finally enough, in some ways it’s definitely for me. The sampler is far and away the best on iOS. But changing between scenes, songs and patterns works according to a really odd mechanism, and it just got on my nerves too much in the end, added to the constant crashing. But I agree that they are some top notch innovations in the app - I just wish they worked consistently! I would definitely buy a new version if it ironed out all the mess, though.

• edited July 2019

i don’t understand why all the bm3 negative comments about bugs etc. I have not had a crash at all since at least 10months. Some of you might want to consider some crashes you get might be the 3rd party plugins being used. Maybe the 3.1 beta is on hold because they need to get it ready for the upcoming IpadOS . Those who suggest it as an AU to use in other hosts do you use Swing/Groove Quantize if yes then trust me I don’t know any iOS software that has the excellent Swing options built into Bm3. Relax people. Bm3 is based on sampling .Seems many are having issues with midi stuff. Each to their own but Bm3 is King. The more we moan they might feel emotional & file for divorce. Haha

• @audio_DT said:

@AudioGus said:

@audio_DT said:

The kinks!

Finally enough, in some ways it’s definitely for me. The sampler is far and away the best on iOS. But changing between scenes, songs and patterns works according to a really odd mechanism, and it just got on my nerves too much in the end, added to the constant crashing. But I agree that they are some top notch innovations in the app - I just wish they worked consistently! I would definitely buy a new version if it ironed out all the mess, though.

How often is 'constant' to you?

• @AudioGus said:

@audio_DT said:

@AudioGus said:

@audio_DT said:

The kinks!

At least once every time I use it, iirc. So i could carry on using it or stick with AUM, which is rock solid. I’m checking out xequence again and waiting for xequence 2, but I would love an ableton-style scene changer, too. Wondering about modstep but it’s not been updated for ages. Have you used it? Would you recommend it? Cubasis is good but I don’t like the fact that you’re limited with respected to the number of effects, the fact that there’s no mix busses, and the other stuff that people have commented on over time. But iOS is getting there - exciting times.

• Interesting.

Wonder what this means in the big scheme of things as a user or developer.....time will tell

• @audio_DT said:

@AudioGus said:

@audio_DT said:

@AudioGus said:

@audio_DT said:

The kinks!

At least once every time I use it, iirc.

I use it in about hour long sessions now and often have several in a row without a crash and then a certain project it will just crash crash... ...crash. Then the next day that same project is fine... strange.

So i could carry on using it or stick with AUM, which is rock solid. I’m checking out xequence again and waiting for xequence 2, but I would love an ableton-style scene changer, too. Wondering about modstep but it’s not been updated for ages. Have you used it? Would you recommend it?

I mostly used Modstep for external midi and it was awesome. For a bit I did a Blocs Wave recorded project where I used Modstep to send midi to IAA apps (mostly Nave I think?) and that worked well too. yah Modstep was a great midi controller clip thingy for me. I could see using it again for sure if the right winds blow.

Cubasis is good but I don’t like the fact that you’re limited with respected to the number of effects, the fact that there’s no mix busses, and the other stuff that people have commented on over time. But iOS is getting there - exciting times.

yah the FX and mixing is its weakness... Jeez, if NS2 can get to at least Cubasis level of audio tracks (expecting more though) then that will be awesome.

• edited July 2019

@stormbeats said:
    i don’t understand why all the bm3 negative comments about bugs etc. I have not had a crash at all since at least 10months. Some of you might want to consider some crashes you get might be the 3rd party plugins being used.

I went for a while just doing some AU free sampler fests and it certainly did reduce the crash frequency but not entirely.

It almost feels like any use of any AU increases the flakery and while there were some standouts it seems like even ones that felt tried and true, once introduced, things would get flakey. Maybe automating AUs in general is a bigger problem than just the 'horizontal automation squish of death bug'?

Maybe the 3.1 beta is on hold because they need to get it ready for the upcoming IpadOS . Those who suggest it as an AU to use in other hosts do you use Swing/Groove Quantize if yes then trust me I don’t know any iOS software that has the excellent Swing options built into Bm3. Relax people. Bm3 is based on sampling .Seems many are having issues with midi stuff. Each to their own but Bm3 is King. The more we moan they might feel emotional & file for divorce. Haha

Yah I think people that were on the beta and on the inside to some extent are a little more raw. For me hearing end of August is super peachy thumbs up awesome-o!

• @AudioGus said:

@audio_DT said:

@AudioGus said:

@audio_DT said:

@AudioGus said:

@audio_DT said:

The kinks!

At least once every time I use it, iirc.

I use it in about hour long sessions now and often have several in a row without a crash and then a certain project it will just crash crash... ...crash. Then the next day that same project is fine... strange.

So i could carry on using it or stick with AUM, which is rock solid. I’m checking out xequence again and waiting for xequence 2, but I would love an ableton-style scene changer, too. Wondering about modstep but it’s not been updated for ages. Have you used it? Would you recommend it?

I mostly used Modstep for external midi and it was awesome. For a bit I did a Blocs Wave recorded project where I used Modstep to send midi to IAA apps (mostly Nave I think?) and that worked well too. yah Modstep was a great midi controller clip thingy for me. I could see using it again for sure if the right winds blow.

Cubasis is good but I don’t like the fact that you’re limited with respected to the number of effects, the fact that there’s no mix busses, and the other stuff that people have commented on over time. But iOS is getting there - exciting times.

yah the FX and mixing is its weakness... Jeez, if NS2 can get to at least Cubasis level of audio tracks (expecting more though) then that will be awesome.

Yeah, NS2 has a lot going for it. Maybe I need to persevere with it a bit more. And I’ve been toying with the idea of buying modstep for about a week. If there’s a summer sale I’ll snap it up instantly. I just succumbed to the temptation to buy the upgrade for Factory, though, and my appoholism is reaching ever-crazier levels. I recently bought all the FabFilter apps , for example. Thanks for your input 👍

• edited July 2019

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu
    Re the 3.1 beta you were testing, I had the impression you had a list of bugs you were submitting, curious what was left your to-do list, when the 3.1 release was derailed?

Quite a few UI related issues, bugs in the elastic libraries when doing extreme pitch changes. Audio engine had some ‘click’ issues, too many small things to mention here. But I was very picky and all things reported to Mathieu were 100% reproducible.

I will not start from scratch again with 3.0.12 since they were fixed in the last 3.1 beta...

• @AudioGus Steve Mumm did the weather has got to be a lyric in one of your songs.

I REALLY hope they leave us hanging and it all turns into a horror fest of recriminations and I-told-you-so wailing otherwise I'm going to have learn it proper from the top all over again dammit....

• @EyeOhEss said:

@kobamoto said:
    come on guys, keep it Tidy now, just admit it intua should take out the sample slicing, pads and side-chain and make it into another app, add parameter locks and sell that

No way! That would be cool too. But the magic is in the interplay between patterns and sampler and (TIL it was broken) the midi au per pad with routing and timeline+scenes... So powerful! Way ahead of anything else on iOS when it was released and still kind of is for many little workflow tricks etc..

Plus, No sequencer = no option to even consider adding parameter locks ;)

I meant a pattern based sequencer, far stripped down... something like an sp-303 but with P.locks

• edited July 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @AudioGus Steve Mumm did the weather has got to be a lyric in one of your songs.

I REALLY hope they leave us hanging and it all turns into a horror fest of recriminations and I-told-you-so wailing otherwise I'm going to have learn it proper from the top all over again dammit....

I’ll give it my best Rob Zombie...

“Steve Mumm, is the weather...
    MAN!
    YAHHH!”

• no need to be impatient with Intua, who can honestly say that we haven't always been waiting forever for everything... Samplr... waiting, Playground... waiting, Ton.... waiting, etc... .
    BM3 was, is, and always will be an ambitious project, patience and this platform go hand in hand that's just the way it is.

• edited July 2019

@Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu
    Re the 3.1 beta you were testing, I had the impression you had a list of bugs you were submitting, curious what was left your to-do list, when the 3.1 release was derailed?

Quite a few UI related issues, bugs in the elastic libraries when doing extreme pitch changes. Audio engine had some ‘click’ issues, too many small things to mention here. But I was very picky and all things reported to Mathieu were 100% reproducible.

I will not start from scratch again with 3.0.12 since they were fixed in the last 3.1 beta...

The many small things, the UI and library stuff, audio engine etc, that was all still undone on the last beta of 3.1?
    Doesn’t seem like 3.1 should be considered such a Holy Grail type thing, then.

• edited July 2019

@Littlewoodg said:

@Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu

The many small things, the UI and library stuff, audio engine etc, that was all still undone on the last beta of 3.1?
    Doesn’t seem like 3.1 should be considered such a holy thing, then.

I saw an infamous leaked 3.1 beta feature list thingy once and was like ‘wow, all that stuff I never even thought of’ hehe. Its a beast huge app and so many people are pushing for it to grow in areas I dont care much about (like making it a live midi DJ machine thing? Ok kids, whuteva!) My expectations for any of my specific whines and wants to be addressed on any iOS app are pretty much nill but hell I am just glad it may not be abandonded.

• edited July 2019

@AudioGus said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu

I saw an infamous leaked 3.1 beta feature list thingy once and was like ‘wow, all that stuff I never even thought of’ hehe. Its a beast huge app and so many people are pushing for it to grow in areas I dont care much about (like making it a live midi DJ machine thing? Ok kids, whuteva!) My expectations for any of my specific whines and wants to be addressed on any iOS app are pretty much nill but hell I am just glad it may not be

I hear you
    I dig what it does already. The crashes occur with my workflow for reasons I understand, and I then quit trying to do those things (usually hot stab type things like dropping a new effect on a track with 3 kinds of tracks running...)

(It all seems a bit odd, the rancor, the character assassination aimed at the remaining dev, etc. The stuff on the Intua thread seems a bit ahem unmoderated)

• @Littlewoodg said:

@AudioGus said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu

I saw an infamous leaked 3.1 beta feature list thingy once and was like ‘wow, all that stuff I never even thought of’ hehe. Its a beast huge app and so many people are pushing for it to grow in areas I dont care much about (like making it a live midi DJ machine thing? Ok kids, whuteva!) My expectations for any of my specific whines and wants to be addressed on any iOS app are pretty much nill but hell I am just glad it may not be

It aall seems a bit odd, the rancor, the character assassination aimed at the remaining dev, etc. The stuff on the Intua thread seems a bit ahem unmoderated

Internet bitches be crazy.

• @AudioGus said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@AudioGus said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu

It aall seems a bit odd, the rancor, the character assassination aimed at the remaining dev, etc. The stuff on the Intua thread seems a bit ahem unmoderated

:D

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Littlewoodg said:

@AudioGus said:

:D

Hey, I resemble that remark
    but only at the park late at night after dark :D

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu

3.1 was never touted as being
    ‘Beatmaker 3 is ‘finished’!!!’. Of course it didn’t solve or add EVERYTHING ;)

But from reports and the leaked release notes, 3.1 was a LOT more significant and finetuned an update than the two updates Vincent released instead, and 3.1 also didn’t break or remove any pre-update core functionality like Vincent’s alt updates did.... Those updates felt like a downgrade, just with couple shiny things thrown in to distract people...

It’s worth reading the Intua forum for an idea of how ‘off’ the whole thing felt. Even the forum moderator (who had always been very supportive of the dev team prior) was vocal about how little sense the whole thing made...

Some real shit went down fo’ sure...

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Really they need to fix recording audio input monitoring.

There’s a workaround for this. Are you aware of it? If not, I’ll see if I can dig up the old post about it.

• edited July 2019

@wim said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Really they need to fix recording audio input monitoring.

There’s a workaround for this. Are you aware of it? If not, I’ll see if I can dig up the old post about it.

Yah I think I must be doing the workaround by default as I don’t have this problem at all... ?

(Could be certain audio interfaces only?)

(Or I just dont understand the issue)

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

Those updates felt like a downgrade, just with couple shiny things thrown in to distract people...

This is well said, “it felt like” ...but my reading of the Intua forums is that some other people - including the moderator - were saying that this is what Vincent actually did, ascribing to him motives and machinations, that he was actually trying to distract people for example (taking it that extra step from “it felt like” to dude did it and meant to)

My bad, now I’m commenting on comments. Slow news day :)

• The downgrade release was when I stopped trusting the developer. No updates is one thing, but to make the app actively worse...

• Well let’s hope things are fixed soon. Just tried to import some Midi files with no success. Tried to use Digital D1 as an AU and loaded a new patch, crash-ola. And when it doesn’t crash, it’s a crackle fest. Ho hum...this app is kind of going to become the Fisker Karma of electric cars before we know it i fear 🥺

• Imagine you bought Intua using your life's savings. You now want to turn a profit and not go bankrupt
    What would you do? I would:

1. Stabilize the development team and let anyone not on board with saving the company move on.. You have to choose a direction and focus. If you can't agree on the direction you have to make this job #1. If Intua really was 2 programmer's then this could be a Jobs/Sculley situation.

2. I would seek more customer sales: port to other platforms and sell more Beat Maker and reach profitability.

3. Put out something positive to show the "team" is committed to the product's future.

Fixing bugs for existing users not as important to insure profitability but important to stop them
    from posting negative reviews.

As an owner of BM3 I'm hoping it's going to make it across the chasm in a very competitive market
    ("Hello NS2") with increasingly complex technical complexity (MIDI FX, etc). The best sampler on IOS
    is still in there, right? Or has someone taken that #1 away?

I'm NOT implying Intua is for sale just posting a "Business Case". A real business person would probably
    re-brand the assets and sell the new "IntuaBeat One" for $50 (on Mac, Android, Linux, Windows) or break out the Sampler code as "InSample" for $20 on IOS.

Any business minds care to take a shot at some hostile take over plans? Fire everyone and sell the code to
    Microsoft?

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

I’ve worked with a lot of software developers over the years and I recognize Vincent’s type. He’ll communicate only when he absolutely has to, reveal as little as he possibly can get away with, and not genuinely listen to what anyone else has to say. Some engineers should never, ever, be saddled with communication duty. :#

This infuriates most of us conditioned in “the customer is always right” mentality. We think of it from the perspective of how screwed up things would have to be to cause us to act that way. But I bet in reality its simply that it’s just deeply ingrained in his personality and ain’t never gonna change.

So, all the hand wringing, though perhaps therapeutic, changes nothing. He’s the resource working on the project (I’m guessing the only one, but doesn’t matter if not). That isn’t going to change. Updates are going to get released according to his abilities, both in quality and pace. I have strong suspicions about that ability, but will keep that to myself.

For me, I’ve decided to set BM3 aside. I’ll pick it up after the next update to try it out, watch the comments, and re-evaluate whether it’s worth my then.

Meanwhile there’s way too much fun to be had with all the other toys.