Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A comment about NanoStudio 2

Comments

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Out of interest, where can I read the announcement that Matthieu has left Intua?

• edited July 2019

That's disheartening to hear that iPhone is coming before audio tracks. As someone who tried to make iPhone track-making work even after I got an iPad (including using the original NanoStudio), making a legitimate fully-fleshed track on a phone is just a mess. It's really cool in theory, but people should give up trying to do certain things on a phone, and stop expecting developers to cater to them, no matter the processing power.

Anyway, with this news, I'll postpone expecting audio tracks for at least a year and hope I'm wrong. Guy may be a great developer (and probably has a day job + family etc) but he's obviously a slow-ass perfectionist.

There are worse things to be, for sure. But to release a product this close to amazing with a couple of HUGE, obvious giant flaws is frustrating. I guess it isn't the norm for people dabbling in iPad recording to use physical instruments.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    Out of interest, where can I read the announcement that Matthieu has left Intua?

Not the announcement, but confirmation from him on Twitter that he has left Intua:

• @oat_phipps said:
    That's disheartening to hear that iPhone is coming before audio tracks. As someone who tried to make iPhone track-making work even after I got an iPad (including using the original NanoStudio), making a legitimate fully-fleshed track on a phone is just a mess. It's really cool in theory, but people should give up trying to do certain things on a phone, and stop expecting developers to cater to them, no matter the processing power.

Anyway, with this news, I'll postpone expecting audio tracks for at least a year and hope I'm wrong. Guy may be a great developer (and probably has a day job + family etc) but he's obviously a slow-ass perfectionist.

Well if audio tracks are three times the work of the phone version it may be a couple of years!

• @klownshed said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Out of interest, where can I read the announcement that Matthieu has left Intua?

Not the announcement, but confirmation from him on Twitter that he has left Intua:

Thanks. :)

BM3 is basically dead then, in terms of updates now?

• edited July 2019

@oat_phipps

making a legitimate fully-fleshed track on a phone is just a mess

iPhone is the best platform I have to get ideas down quickly and make sounds/loops/chord progressions/Melodies etc which if they are any good I can then use on iPad/Mac, etc

My iPhone is almost always with me. I can't say the same for any other device. I've used AUM loads on the iPhone. It can be fiddly with the tiny screen especially as my eyes aren't as good as they once were, but it's great for sound design.

I have no intentions of making a fully fleshed track on a phone. But I'm sure I'd get quite a bit of use out of NS on iPhone.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

I wouldn't like to speculate. You'd have to ask Intua directly.

• edited July 2019

@oat_phipps
    making a legitimate fully-fleshed track on a phone is just a mess

This whole album (expcept of maybe 2-3 tracks made on ipad2) was made on iphone (and ipod touch) somewhere in 2011) - everything, just final mastering was done on desktop (in that times there were no serious mastering plugins on iOS)
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/album/i-devices

Never had feeling of 'mess' when i was working on those tracks, i would describe it more like 'fucking lot of fun'
    :lol:

• @dendy said:
    It's sad that lot of AU-related issues and very much requested AB-support postponed iPhone and audio tracks planned timeline more than it was expected :(

Maybe Matt needs a few of these: 😁

• NS2 is badass at what it does. I to patiently await true audio, note repeat and better sample chopping features before abandoning BM3 totally. I don’t recommend it to new users anymore for lack of confidence in their development team but there was just recently evidence that it is in fact not abandonware and will be updated....

• Thanks Wim!

So do you add NS2 inside AB3 and do you also host AUM inside AB3?
    I’m trying to be able to sync start NS2 and say Drum Session or Lumbeats Drum apps but trying to tidy things up as well.

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    I’ve been learning it as well; and really loving that I haven’t had a single crash.

How do you host all your external apps for syncstart/ stop?

I host NS2 and any external apps I decide to use in Audiobus. Of course then the audio isn’t automatically in NS2, but someday...

• @EyeOhEss said:

@dendy said:
    Actually - because i use rather short audio recording (like max. few bars long) than long minute+ audio tracks, most probably even after audio tracks will be available, i will still use for audio Obsidian sampler with sample offset automatiom instead of direct audio tracks, because it gives me lot bigger space for experimenting, rearanging and modulating of recorded stuff :) I'm not singer or guitarist, i look at recorded audio more from perspective of sound designer, that's why i like this approach more than plain audio tracks - i see there lot more creative potential ..

I just look at audio as audio ;) Some of it I wanna go wild with. Some of it I just wanna throw straight on an audio track timeline. Not really in to cornering myself in to saying I prefer either way over the other. Just go with instinct/common sense per decision...

>

Yah a lot of people interpret the idea of ‘audio tracks’ as the most basic ‘drop in a two minute wav file of me playing guitar - done!’. For me it implies a degree of audio editing. If it turns out to be just like Gadget, that is a big MEH. I assume pitchshifting, time-stretching (with the option for linear interpolation with no smoothing etc) hopefully reverse, adjustment faders on clips etc. Huge bonus points would be for EQ / pan per clip but lets see where it starts.

But yah, if it is Gadget style ‘plonk, heres yah wav file buddy’ then OK, I will just import exported tracks from BM3 which is nice for slicing and dicing audio for me.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@klownshed said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Yup, sounds like it.

• @nondes said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@klownshed said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Yup, sounds like it.

August!

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@klownshed said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Mathieu did not leave Intua. He's no longer involved in the development of BM3. There's a difference.
    Vincent just made an announcement in the Intua forum. August is the timeframe for an update but I would add some more time as we all know things can get out of hand.

• gracefulness is a great word to describe it so far I think and I love the fact that the dev obviously wants to keep it that way even with further development etc.

• edited July 2019

@hansjbs said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@klownshed said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Mathieu did not leave Intua. He's no longer involved in the development of BM3. There's a difference.
    Vincent just made an announcement in the Intua forum. August is the timeframe for an update but I would add some more time as we all know things can get out of hand.

When there are twitter posts from Mathieu stating his Intua email address is no longer valid and “Now stay tuned everyone, onto new challenges & horizons ! Woooop 🎉🚀” it’s easy to interpret that as him implying that he’s gone.

Any confusion from forum members about his employment status is pretty understandable.

My take would be that he has effectively gone but as co-founder still has a share of the company. So in that sense he’s still part of Intua.

• @AtticusL said:

@oat_phipps said:

Well if audio tracks are three times the work of the phone version it may be a couple of years!

Some people see what they want rather than what the reality is. It took many years to get NS2 where it is today, and that was never a secret. I bought it for what it does, not what it might do some year in the future. I don't need an iPhone version, and having no audio tracks doesn't stop me from using it.

Does anyone actually have any statistics on how apps like NS2 do on iPhone? If I was the dev and had to guess, I'd think that might be a big market.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks Wim!

I’m trying to be able to sync start NS2 and say Drum Session or Lumbeats Drum apps but trying to tidy things up as well.

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    I’ve been learning it as well; and really loving that I haven’t had a single crash.

I host NS2 and any external apps I decide to use in Audiobus. Of course then the audio isn’t automatically in NS2, but someday...

Yes, in this case, I would host NS2, the drum app, and AUM inside AB3. AUM would just be doing recording duty. Nice and tidy, with the huge advantage of Audiobus app switching and transport controls.

You can do the same in AUM only. No harm in that. I just prefer Audiobus.
    [edit] except, I’m not sure how well sync start/stop would work without Audiobus. I haven’t tried it out.

• @lovadamusic said:

@AtticusL said:

@oat_phipps said:

Some people see what they want rather than what the reality is. It took many years to get NS2 where it is today, and that was never a secret. I bought it for what it does, not what it might do some year in the future. I don't need an iPhone version, and having no audio tracks doesn't stop me from using it.

Does anyone actually have any statistics on how apps like NS2 do on iPhone? If I was the dev and had to guess, I'd think that might be a big market.

Just for shits n gigles I installed NS1 on my olde 4s... Was damn impressed. One handed use stunned me. It is really fantastic and gave me more context for what NS2 could be like on the larger screen / higher rez of today. Yah iPhone is a good move but dayum I don’t want the itch to buy a new phone heh.

Audiotracks means it could strongly be argued as best DAW on iOS (err, ipad OS) where as now it is only arguably a DAW and seems to avoid calling itself one on the app store. Rambling now...

• Sweet! Will try it out. I was having an issue where I couldn’t get NS2 to trigger iBassist while in AUM or even externally; but that could be due to setup. I wanna create a good template where I can get midi out of Rock Drummer, iBassist and others straight out to NS2. All in one pass. Then go back and tweak it, and play it back to trigger the same apps or different ones if I wanna. Trying to get this setup working.

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks Wim!

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:

Yes, in this case, I would host NS2, the drum app, and AUM inside AB3. AUM would just be doing recording duty. Nice and tidy, with the huge advantage of Audiobus app switching and transport controls.

[edit] except, I’m not sure how well sync start/stop would work without Audiobus. I haven’t tried it out.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@motmeister said:
    I too enjoy NS2. I recently downloaded iMPC Pro 2 and have tried it as well. Each have strengths and weaknesses, but both are very strong. They share a weakness on the audio import side but for different reasons. NS2’s weakness (expected to be “fixed” at a later unspecified date) is that audio clips can only be used in Slate because there are no audio tracks yet. iMPC Pro 2’s weakness is Retronym’s clinging to their AudioCopy instead of using the Files app. For my own workflow, whoever fixes this first is where I’ll lean. But TBH, I like working with both.

You can already use the Files App in iMPC pro2 as well as AudioCopy.

That’s true for assigning samples to pads. I don’t see a Files option when trying to put a clip on an audio track. Create an audio track and click on the timeline. I see two options, AudioPaste and Get More Loops. Is there another way?

• Just to be sure, I opened Files split screen and tried to dragdrop it onto the timeline. No luck that way either.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Sweet! Will try it out. I was having an issue where I couldn’t get NS2 to trigger iBassist while in AUM or even externally; but that could be due to setup. I wanna create a good template where I can get midi out of Rock Drummer, iBassist and others straight out to NS2. All in one pass. Then go back and tweak it, and play it back to trigger the same apps or different ones if I wanna. Trying to get this setup working.

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks Wim!

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:

Hey man, I been beating on this for about a half hour now, and I can’t get to play iBassist via midi from anything - not even directly attached hardware controller. Before you go through a bunch of monkeying around, you might want to be sure you can get iBassist to play notes directly from at least one other source.

(And to save all the helpful peeps asking ... yes, I’ve set it to Live Midi In, rebooted, cleared ghost apps, made sure it’s not AUM, NS2, or Audiobus interfering, made sure it’s outputting audio and midi as it should, checked channels, messed with the chord detection channel and output channels to see if any combination works... even asked my cat to double check everything.)

Oh and btw @Tones4Christ, have you noticed the nice little “export midi” button at the top of iBassist? Might be a much easier route.

• @AudioGus said:
    It is really sweet. Audio tracks will bring me back. AUfx automation and direct AU instrument automation via the AU UI would keep me for a long time.

Will a tracks be IAP ?

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

Yep. At least as originally announced.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@AudioGus said:
    It is really sweet. Audio tracks will bring me back. AUfx automation and direct AU instrument automation via the AU UI would keep me for a long time.

Will a tracks be IAP ?

Yessir

• @klownshed said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

If only this tweet ended with "Hey @blipinteractive, you hiring?" :)