Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sugar Bytes Summer Sale!! (ENDED)

Comments

• @kinkujin said:
    I have Factory. Am I missing out by not having Unique?
    The reviews on appstore for Unique have put me off. Thoughts? Ayup.

I have the same doubt...Unique????

• edited July 2019

@Sinthemau said:

@kinkujin said:

The criticism about dropping IAA and Audiobus support in favor of AUv3 is understandable. Too many apps still only support IAA and AB3 is more relevant than ever so what you gain here, you're losing there.

IMHO that's just a stupid move by SB, and it's valid for some of their other apps like Egoist, Thesys, Cyclop and Turnado as well.
    Ironically, AB3 was just introduced about a year ago in WOW and Effectrix.

Other than that, Unique has great filters, a fun modulation system, sounds good and is faster to use than Factory or Aparillo.
    Which one to purchase of course depends on what you have already - For me it's Factory, without hesitation.

• @rs2000 said:

@Sinthemau said:

@kinkujin said:

The criticism about dropping IAA and Audiobus support in favor of AUv3 is understandable.

Maybe they knew something before everyone else? B)

Sugarbytes stuff blows me away with the included content in Egoist. It's like having a Siriusmo album you can interact with.

• .> @BroCoast said:

@rs2000 said:

@Sinthemau said:

@kinkujin said:

The criticism about dropping IAA and Audiobus support in favor of AUv3 is understandable.

Maybe they knew something before everyone else? B)

Well, sooner or later ... anyway ... 😉

Sugarbytes stuff blows me away with the included content in Egoist. It's like having a Siriusmo album you can interact with.

True, and then I'm often surprised how different the result sounds after heavy mangling.
    Hard to recognize the original loop sometimes but it's what made the magic possible.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@rs2000 said:
    The criticism about dropping IAA and Audiobus support in favor of AUv3 is understandable. Too many apps still only support IAA and AB3 is more relevant than ever so what you gain here, you're losing there.

This is such an unfortunate misunderstanding. If an app is AUv3, it is automatically and completely Audiobus compatible. Dropping IAA and Audiobus support is irrelevant regarding Audiobus compatibility. I don't know how many times I've seen people think apps aren't Audiobus compatible because of statements such as this from SugarBytes. Technically it's a correct statement, but practically speaking it's totally misleading.

Dropping IAA is the only loss, and that only for hosts that don't support AUv3. Increasingly few.

• @oat_phipps said:
    For the guy who asked Factory or Aparillo...Factory, easily. Unless you are the type who likes getting deeply involved in sculpting your innermost noisescapes down to the t (instead of the classic 'maniacal experimentation leading to happy accidents'), then you'll mess with Aparillo a few times, think 'hey this is really cool' each time, then maybe record with it once.

Disagree. I'd choose Aparillo first over Factory any day. Tom-A-to vs Tom-ah-to.

• edited July 2019

@rs2000 said:

@Sinthemau said:

@kinkujin said:

IMHO that's just a stupid move by SB, and it's valid for some of their other apps like Egoist, Thesys, Cyclop and Turnado as well.

Other than that, Unique has great filters, a fun modulation system, sounds good and is faster to use than Factory or Aparillo.
    Which one to purchase of course depends on what you have already - For me it's Factory, without hesitation.

Thanks, I have some days more to decide what to buy, all Factory, Aparillo and Unique seem great, bat cannot spend money for all of them. I need to look at some demo/tutorial and choose the more fitting me.

• @Sinthemau said:

@rs2000 said:

@Sinthemau said:

@kinkujin said:

Thanks, I have some days more to decide what to buy, all Factory, Aparillo and Unique seem great, bat cannot spend money for all of them. I need to look at some demo/tutorial and choose the more fitting me.

Just get the free restricted versions of Aparillo and Factory and play with them. I like the "trial" concept.

• @rs2000 said:

@Sinthemau said:

@rs2000 said:

@Sinthemau said:

@kinkujin said:

Just get the free restricted versions of Aparillo and Factory and play with them. I like the "trial" concept.

Yes, great way to try before you buy!

• @Carnbot said:

@tja said:

Just sign up to a handful you want to receive mail from, be selective. That's what the lists are for.
    To be fair, SB are good about informing people, no complaints from me. :)

Now, there is a prove right now, that they don't do this well :D :D :D
    Whatever....

• @rs2000 said:

@Sinthemau said:

@rs2000 said:

@Sinthemau said:

@kinkujin said:

That's it. Thanks

• @wim said:

@rs2000 said:

This is such an unfortunate misunderstanding. If an app is AUv3, it is automatically and completely Audiobus compatible. Dropping IAA and Audiobus support is irrelevant regarding Audiobus compatibility. I don't know how many times I've seen people think apps aren't Audiobus compatible because of statements such as this from SugarBytes. Technically it's a correct statement, but practically speaking it's totally misleading.

Dropping IAA is the only loss, and that only for hosts that don't support AUv3. Increasingly few.

Just quoting this again because it seems some missed it. Michael was far ahead of this curve, thankfully.

• @espiegel123 said:
    can someone with reslice and egoist tell me if (for slicing related work) Egoist brings something to the game that ReSlice doesn't.

I use both. Egoist for slicing only, I don't use the synth or drums. ReSlice is deeper and more capable in many ways. I find Egoist faster. Fun. Egoist has a 16 slice limit compared to ReSlice (64?).

The functions that differentiate Egoist; envelope length ( of the overall 16 sliced sounds ), and a separate, per step, decay shape ( this is in addition to the traditional envelope ). These additional functions seem to shorten the sample slices more than ReSlice. Can sound very clicky if desired. Aside from the expected per step pitch control, a separate keyboard icon allows quantised pitch control of the sliced loop (useful and fast).
    There are a few more subtle things; all slicer functions in a single window ( I've never cared about this, but it makes sense with egoist ), the max out function, and the slicer time base function.

I enjoy them both. Both useful. Both elicit a different result ( with the same loop ).

• Check the manual, page 96 (http://downloads.sugar-bytes.de/manuals/Factory_iPad.pdf). You need activate iCloud sharing and upload the patches to iCloud.

• @rrc2soft said:

Check the manual, page 96 (http://downloads.sugar-bytes.de/manuals/Factory_iPad.pdf). You need activate iCloud sharing and upload the patches to iCloud.

So, are this patches usable in iOS too, or only in Desktop? Thanks

• @Sinthemau said:

@rrc2soft said:

Check the manual, page 96 (http://downloads.sugar-bytes.de/manuals/Factory_iPad.pdf). You need activate iCloud sharing and upload the patches to iCloud.

I tried them on iOS and they work, although I do not have Factory on my PC to compare them.

• @rrc2soft said:

@Sinthemau said:

@rrc2soft said:

I tried them on iOS and they work, although I do not have Factory on my PC to compare them.

Cool! Thanks

• @Beathoven said:

@oat_phipps said:

@reasOne said:

@Crawlingwind said:
    Picked up Factory. Having a great time so far. You can get pretty out there with it! Unfortunate icon they chose.

The icon is way better than Aparillo haha that red sphere is so disgusting I can't even have it on my home page, where I keep my favs, and it's one of my favs... But I just cant bare to look at that awful awful icon....GROSS!! HAHA
    please, sugar bytes, if you're listening, change it so I can bring it back to the iPads surface
    😄😡

They really have poor taste when it comes to graphics. No way around that.

I’m an App-appearance nut. The way an app looks is important to me. I’m not sure why; professionalism, OCD; I don’t know. For example, I actually can’t have SynthMaster One on my iPad because the appearance depresses me; especially for such a great-sounding synth. Everything about that UI makes me want to cry like a baby. But, I love Sugar Bytes apps. I’m not upset by their appearance. I actually really like the way their apps look. They’re different and fun. Because of this, the low resolution just feels like part of the design ethic. I can’t wait for them to release more apps: Looperator, Obscurium, something completely new. SB are definitely my favourite devs. :)

I know how you feel about SynthMaster. I couldn't use it even if I liked the synth. I felt the same way about Patterning 2 until the original color scheme option was added. Beta testing that thing with its drab, gritty colors was a bitch. The original Patterning was a brilliant app no doubt, but I think the color scheme really threw it over the top into total classic territory.

• @craftycurate said:

@espiegel123 said:

@craftycurate said:

@BroCoast said:

@craftycurate said:
    Sugar Bytes are iOS staples for me. I use them all a lot, although unfortunately Turnado produces high CPU spikes sometimes when the GUI is open, so not sure how much to rely on it for live use, but Sugar Bytes apps are indispensable. I don't use Unique so much as I tend to focus on Factory and Aparillo, with a bit of Egoist for rhythm and background noodling.

I looked into this a bit more and tried several AUM sessions with Factory & Tornado at 128 samples with no issues. Not sure what is going on with your issues?

On a 9.7" ipad pro I was running two factories, one turnado and patterning two no problems.

Yeah I've tried a few things but still get the CPU spikes - not sure what the cause is. It might just be a particular Turnado patch, or it may be something else entirely. Haven't been able to identify the cause yet.

Do you get crackling? or do you just see the number spike?

A momentary dropout as CPU spikes over 100% but no ongoing crackling. On an iPad Pro 2017.

If there is no crackling and no dropouts, those numbers may just tell you that the throttling took a few cycles to kick in.> @frond said:

@espiegel123 said:
    can someone with reslice and egoist tell me if (for slicing related work) Egoist brings something to the game that ReSlice doesn't.

I use both. Egoist for slicing only, I don't use the synth or drums. ReSlice is deeper and more capable in many ways. I find Egoist faster. Fun. Egoist has a 16 slice limit compared to ReSlice (64?).

The functions that differentiate Egoist; envelope length ( of the overall 16 sliced sounds ), and a separate, per step, decay shape ( this is in addition to the traditional envelope ). These additional functions seem to shorten the sample slices more than ReSlice. Can sound very clicky if desired. Aside from the expected per step pitch control, a separate keyboard icon allows quantised pitch control of the sliced loop (useful and fast).
    There are a few more subtle things; all slicer functions in a single window ( I've never cared about this, but it makes sense with egoist ), the max out function, and the slicer time base function.

I enjoy them both. Both useful. Both elicit a different result ( with the same loop ).

Tx

• So ... the gripe is not about the synth itself but the dropping of IAA support? Ah, then how do we like the sound? Is it Unique from Factory? Thanks again.

• @rrc2soft said:

@Sinthemau said:

@rrc2soft said:

How did you get these to work?

I paid for the Factory upgrade, then activated iCloud sync in Factory, then downloaded the patcharena presets (Artificial Intelligence presets) into my User folder inside the Factory iCloud folder.

In Factory it just shows as “path 1” in the presets. When I select it Factory crashes.

• @kinkujin said:
    So ... the gripe is not about the synth itself but the dropping of IAA support? Ah, then how do we like the sound? Is it Unique from Factory? Thanks again.

I wouldn't bother if you've got Factory - just my personal opinion, but I never use it.

• @kinkujin said:
    So ... the gripe is not about the synth itself but the dropping of IAA support? Ah, then how do we like the sound? Is it Unique from Factory? Thanks again.

It’s AUv3 and the iPhone version is only $1.99 on sale. I don’t use much, but it’s got some decent presets. I’ve got the iPhone version and just bought Factory. Since Unique for iPhone installs on the iPad and loads as AUv3... is Sugarbytes, sounds good, has some decent presets... for $1.99 on sale I’d buy it again even with Factory.

• I used the free Documents App and extracted the presets to the Factory iCloud folder. There’s a folder in there called presets and another called User. Dropped them in there. The extracted folder is called Sonic Sirius and it contains 100 presets but when I launch Factory I can’t locate the presets. Anyone?

@skiphunt said:

@rrc2soft said:

@Sinthemau said:

@rrc2soft said:

How did you get these to work?

I paid for the Factory upgrade, then activated iCloud sync in Factory, then downloaded the patcharena presets (Artificial Intelligence presets) into my User folder inside the Factory iCloud folder.

In Factory it just shows as “path 1” in the presets. When I select it Factory crashes.

• Ok they worked now.🎹👍🏼☝️

Extract as stated on my previous post but make sure iCloud is enabled inside Factory. Drop all the presets not the folder, inside iCloud Factory Presets User folder. Launch Factory and you’ll see user folder created!

@rrc2soft said:

@Sinthemau said:

@rrc2soft said:

• Thanks @MonzoPro and @skiphunt for the opinions.

• edited July 2019

A momentary dropout as CPU spikes over 100% but no ongoing crackling. On an iPad Pro 2017.

If there is no crackling and no dropouts, those numbers may just tell you that the throttling took a few cycles to kick in.

As mentioned above I do have a momentary dropout.

These CPU spikes began with the beta of the current release of AUM, which caused me to leave the beta program and return to the previous stable release, but now that the beta in question became the release, these dropouts have become a more regular issue.

• edited July 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Ok they worked now.🎹👍🏼☝️

Extract as stated on my previous post but make sure iCloud is enabled inside Factory. Drop all the presets not the folder, inside iCloud Factory Presets User folder. Launch Factory and you’ll see user folder created!

@rrc2soft said:

@Sinthemau said:

@rrc2soft said:

I used another method... but your reply helped get me there. Thanks!

The file I downloaded from the page says is called "Artificial Intelligence presets by Che". What get's downloaded is actually a .rar file.

From your post, I gathered that .rar file needed to be extracted. So, I moved the file over to my Goodreader app (likely similar to your cited Documents app) and then double-clicked the file to "un-rar) it. At this point I had the Sonic folder of a 101 presets that I then moved into the icloud drive/Factory/Presets/User folder.

• edited July 2019

@kinkujin said:
    Thanks @MonzoPro and @skiphunt for the opinions.

I don't disagree with MonzoPro's opinion though. If you have Factory, Unique is somewhat redundant.

I've got way too many apps, and more than I'll ever really need. I'm sure that's the case for many here. ;)

However, often I like to scan through the collection and look for apps I've forgotten about or haven't used in a long time. I'll then have a little session where I'm ONLY using those, instead of playing with whatever is shiny and new. I always end up being more creative instead of succumbing to buying yet another app I don't need. ;)

So, although I'm trying not to buy anything that's too redundant or too similar to what I already have and don't use... I also like having this giant palette of choices to randomly select from.

Yes, I'm indeed contradicting myself. ;)

Haven't said that... $1.99 for a Sugarbytes AUv3 synth with a nice sound, sweet presets and not too big a footprint at 60MB, is a pretty sweet deal.