Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there an albeton Live-style setup for iPad?

Comments

• @Stratguy10 said:
    It depends on the AU instrument/effect in question, but at this point you can draw in parameter automation for parameters but not record in real time from what I can see. The automation editor is nice to use though.

The native DAW parameters such as vol/pan etc are recordable in real time. @MatthewAtStagelight could perhaps confirm this behaviour?

I don’t need to record automation, I just need to perform it. But recording would be good I guess.

• @jameslondon74 said:

@Stratguy10 said:
    @jameslondon74 - I Have used Live extensively for 10 or so years, and on the iPad I use Stagelight now with a select bunch of AUv3 instruments and effects.

It’s Loopbuilder workflow is super close to Live’s session view, and will record midi to either it’s internal instruments or AUv3 instruments on the fly. Same for audio tracks. You can connect a midi controller for automating parameters.

Once you have a Loopbuilder full of scenes, you can then perform them into a linear time line just live Live for further editing.

It’s worth checking out Stagelight’s 0 to 100 series youtube tutorial series, as these really showcase what Stagelight can do.

For me right now it is missing Ableton Link and Audiobus syncing functionality so that I can get loops from Blocs Wave, Soft Drummer etc in on the fly, so for now I import these manually which is OK. This is coming soon according to Stagelight’s developers.

Cheers
    Jed

It looked nice, but on the free version it wouldn’t let me play anything other than drum tracks. Once I have a synth part in, can I tweak the parameters while triggering loops on different tracks?

Progress - modstep seems perfect. I took the plunge to try it and so far it seems to be working ok. I’m able to tweak the cutoff on a synth, while triggering loops on other tracks. No interruptions.

So... different between modstep and

I thiught I heard Stagelight had some midi out issues. And it doesnt have tempo changes. But it was mostly the first that I didn't think to mention. Hopefully you get the other answers on it, I havent looked since beta except to check re those two things.

• @Multicellular said:

@jameslondon74 said:

@Stratguy10 said:
    @jameslondon74 - I Have used Live extensively for 10 or so years, and on the iPad I use Stagelight now with a select bunch of AUv3 instruments and effects.

It’s Loopbuilder workflow is super close to Live’s session view, and will record midi to either it’s internal instruments or AUv3 instruments on the fly. Same for audio tracks. You can connect a midi controller for automating parameters.

Once you have a Loopbuilder full of scenes, you can then perform them into a linear time line just live Live for further editing.

It’s worth checking out Stagelight’s 0 to 100 series youtube tutorial series, as these really showcase what Stagelight can do.

For me right now it is missing Ableton Link and Audiobus syncing functionality so that I can get loops from Blocs Wave, Soft Drummer etc in on the fly, so for now I import these manually which is OK. This is coming soon according to Stagelight’s developers.

Cheers
    Jed

It looked nice, but on the free version it wouldn’t let me play anything other than drum tracks. Once I have a synth part in, can I tweak the parameters while triggering loops on different tracks?

Progress - modstep seems perfect. I took the plunge to try it and so far it seems to be working ok. I’m able to tweak the cutoff on a synth, while triggering loops on other tracks. No interruptions.

So... different between modstep and

I thiught I heard Stagelight had some midi out issues. And it doesnt have tempo changes. But it was mostly the first that I didn't think to mention. Hopefully you get the other answers on it, I havent looked since beta except to check re those two things.

I’m pretty settled on modstep.

You’ve all been a incredible!! What a community, thank you.

• edited July 2019

First launch AUM and add ModStep as audio . For now it’s used only for easy switching from AUM to ModStep . Now add an AU synth and select AUM as in and midi channel 1

Now switching to ModStep, we create a clip. We can add more vertically and all the clips will output to the midi port selected and channel. In this case it’s AUM in midi channel one

If you want to add more synths in AUM , you must select AUM as midi source and set a dedicated midi channel (up to 16 channels)
    In ModStep you can add a track and select AUM as destination port ,at the channel you’ve set in AUM.

Hope it makes sense. But I would try simply adding the AU’

• @jameslondon74 said:
    I’m pretty settled on modstep.

You’ve all been a incredible!! What a community, thank you.

Great. I'm pretty well versed in Modstep if you have other questions feel free to tag me.

• @Korakios said:
    First launch AUM and add ModStep as audio . For now it’s used only for easy switching from AUM to ModStep . Now add an AU synth and select AUM as in and midi channel 1

Now switching to ModStep, we create a clip. We can add more vertically and all the clips will output to the midi port selected and channel. In this case it’s AUM in midi channel one

If you want to add more synths in AUM , you must select AUM as midi source and set a dedicated midi channel (up to 16 channels)
    In ModStep you can add a track and select AUM as destination port ,at the channel you’ve set in AUM.

This is amazing thank you. And remind me, why do you do this?

• edited July 2019

@jameslondon74 said:

@Korakios said:

Because of :

@jameslondon74 said:
    Interesting. I actually had BM3 anyway, but never really took to it. But it’s failed me: I created two channels, with one channel containing two loops. I was controlling the cutoff on the other track. But every time I hit the screen to change from loop 1 to loop 2, BM3 changed mid channels so I was stopped from controlling the cutoff.

No good.

So... if I use modstep, please explain to me this hosting method?

I run my synths/drums in AUM, but where do I put modstep?

Plus , I don’t think ModStep can expose AU parameters.

@jameslondon74 said:
    Ok I tried stagelight, worked out the instrument problem, but like GarageBand, I’m unable to play with a channels synth while triggering other loops on other channels. As soon as I ‘click out’ of the synth channel, say, to trigger some other drum loops, my controller disconnects from that synth.

It’s a known iOS specific bug, the devs are working on it (hopefully with midi routing and automation stuff)

@AudioGus said:
    Would love to see a video. Don’t want to spend 15$ only to see there is a hidden gotcha with something... hmmm, tempting though.

Can’t make a video ,maybe some screenshots, but is there something specific you want to ask ?

• @Korakios said:

@jameslondon74 said:

@Korakios said:

Because of :

@jameslondon74 said:
    Interesting. I actually had BM3 anyway, but never really took to it. But it’s failed me: I created two channels, with one channel containing two loops. I was controlling the cutoff on the other track. But every time I hit the screen to change from loop 1 to loop 2, BM3 changed mid channels so I was stopped from controlling the cutoff.

No good.

So... if I use modstep, please explain to me this hosting method?

I run my synths/drums in AUM, but where do I put modstep?

Plus , I don’t think ModStep can expose AU parameters.

@jameslondon74 said:
    Ok I tried stagelight, worked out the instrument problem, but like GarageBand, I’m unable to play with a channels synth while triggering other loops on other channels. As soon as I ‘click out’ of the synth channel, say, to trigger some other drum loops, my controller disconnects from that synth.

It’s a known iOS specific bug, the devs are working on it (hopefully with midi routing and automation stuff)

@AudioGus said:
    Would love to see a video. Don’t want to spend 15$ only to see there is a hidden gotcha with something... hmmm, tempting though.

Can’t make a video ,maybe some screenshots, but is there something specific you want to ask ?

Hmmm, just a general curiosity about the ‘gotchas’ which always are unexpected and left field...

Well, now that I think about it, since you can’t record Au automation from the UI do you need to scroll through a list of AU parameters and pick the one you need to draw? i would assume so. Some synths and fx have tons etc.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@jameslondon74 said:
    Amazing thanks everyone, I’ll check out Modstep, Stagelight and GarageBand.
    Without AU3 there’s no point because I need to use apps like Zeeon and Volt.
    I also want to use my Arturia Minilab Mk2.

Another angle is to use Genome the rock solid midi sequencer, which is clip launch based, with midi learn and assignable cc, all of which is available for live play.

Host your AU synths in a DAW (I use MTS) or set up using standalone if available.

Also has a cool play surface where you can glitch up your clips live...

At one point the dev added on/board synth and drum synth and fx which are very fine extras but not really the point, which is grown up live midi madnesses

These are older demos, (iPad, the first! way way before AUv3) but they’ll give you an idea

Tim Webb from Discchord

This one is the dev:

And DPuzzle with the on-board synths and drum synth stuff

Worth a look if you have a minute

+1 for genome

• @AudioGus said:
    Well, now that I think about it, since you can’t record Au automation from the UI do you need to scroll through a list of AU parameters and pick the one you need to draw? i would assume so. Some synths and fx have tons etc.

First picture shows how Stagelight lists the parameter. Nice and clean B)

Second picture shows a filter automation for Zeeon’s OSC1. I used the brush for the first half and the line tool for the second. Also I selected some points which can be deleted.

Third picture: I added an OSC2 automation by double tapping & making linear points.

Finally you can select to edit an automation or remove it

Although I couldn’t find a way to copy/paste or duplicate automation...

Hopefully there will be a “0 to 100“ video from Stagelight YouTube channel ,explaining automation, soon!

• Thanks for the shots! The param list layout and the fact that it does have line and brush do seem quite nice.

• I recommend Modstep too, with either AUM/apeMatrix or Audiobus3 to host the AUs.
    We'll get an AU midi clip launcher at some point.

Another one worth a look is LK: Ableton Live controller. You can actually sequence apps on the ipad instead, like Modstep. although I've only had a quick play and think Modstep still has the advantage, but the devs recently added support for midi out onto the device and not just to Live.

• STAGELIGHT .

• Genome looks great, can’t believe I missed it. Will look at the videos , any user here could share more info ? Any bugs, missing stuff ?

• edited July 2019

@Korakios said:
    Genome looks great, can’t believe I missed it. Will look at the videos , any user here could share more info ? Any bugs, missing stuff ?

Before Gadget, I used it a lot. Been in touch with David Wallin a few years ago to make v1.1.3 run solid both as a clock master and slave with many different hardware sequencers and groove boxes "speaking different MIDI".
    It's one of the few clip/pattern based MIDI sequencers that also have a straightforward song mode and allow for spontaneous MIDI clip launching.
    A unique feature till today is the way you can enter notes and chords.
    In the pattern editor (piano roll), you can open the keyboard, play all keys of the chord so the keys are shown in red, then tap on the notes grid to place the chord(s). Never been faster to place the same chord at arbitrary positions. The same works with an external MIDI keyboard: Even an un-trained musician can search for the right notes one-by-one and when found, hit the right position on the piano roll.
    Some controls cannot be mapped to midi commands (like transport and recording).
    I solved this by attaching a BlueTooth keyboard and, using the iOS acessibility Switch Control, let different buttons "tap" transpot controls.

• @rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:
    Genome looks great, can’t believe I missed it. Will look at the videos , any user here could share more info ? Any bugs, missing stuff ?

Before Gadget, I used it a lot. Been in touch with David Wallin a few years ago to make v1.1.3 run solid both as a clock master and slave with many different hardware sequencers and groove boxes "speaking different MIDI".
    It's one of the few clip/pattern based MIDI sequencers that also have a straightforward song mode and allow for spontaneous MIDI clip launching.
    In the pattern editor (piano roll), you can open the keyboard, play all keys of the chord so the keys are shown in red, then tap on the notes grid to place the chord(s). Never been faster to place the same chord at arbitrary positions. The same works with an external MIDI keyboard: Even an un-trained musician can search for the right notes one-by-one and when found, hit the right position on the piano roll.
    I solved this by attaching a BlueTooth keyboard and, using the iOS acessibility Switch Control, let different buttons "tap" transpot controls.

Transport would be cool , but for recording a clip I really need a dedicated button.
    When recording a clip ,do you have to pre-set the length like ModStep or its automatically ‘growing’ like Stagelight?
    Also can MidiCCs be recorded real-time ?

• @AudioGus said:

I love KRFT but would not say it could be used as a live Clip launcher/recorder/looper. It is a fantastic tool for sketching with midi though. Pairs like a dream with NS2.

This I would like to see. Were you shown the way or did you dig your own well?

• @AudioGus said:

I love KRFT but would not say it could be used as a live Clip launcher/recorder/looper. It is a fantastic tool for sketching with midi though. Pairs like a dream with NS2.

This I would like to see. Were you shown the way or did you dig your own well?> @Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

Transport would be cool , but for recording a clip I really need a dedicated button.
    When recording a clip ,do you have to pre-set the length like ModStep or its automatically ‘growing’ like Stagelight?

So why has Genome (mostly) died off? Simply unfashionable/old-looking? Sounds as though it was never fully surpassed insome areas....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

This I would like to see. Were you shown the way or did you dig your own well?> @Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

So why has Genome (mostly) died off? Simply unfashionable/old-looking? Sounds as though it was never fully surpassed insome areas....

One word: Family 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

• edited July 2019

A bit left field maybe, but how about KRFT?

I don't know if it's possible to do exactly what you want, but it looks like you'll be able to build a screen full of loop triggers, controllers, etc and have access to everything you want on one screen.

Just a thought...

• @Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

You have to pre-set the length, Genome is strictly pattern-based and recording actually happens in the piano roll page. Of course you could always start with a super-long pattern (up to 128 bars per clip) and re-adjust the length afterwards. This is non-destructive so shortening a pattern with notes still behind the range, these will be remembered - just not played.
    Yes, like MIDI notes, CC are recorded in realtime, at the resolution defined by the currently set grid (1/2 to 1/128 resolution). They can also be edited afterwards, again with the current resolution on the timeline.
    For controlling with hardware, I'm using a cheapo chinese Bluetooth game controller with one button DIY-wired to a foot switch. These are recognized by iOS in Accessibility Switch Control.
    You could map it to the REC button which is a toggle: Press to record, press again to end recording and continue playing.

• @rs2000
    I’m glad to see another Genome fan. Also glad of the time you put in with Mr. Wallin on midi clock ins and outs. It’s smooth as butter using MTS as host for instruments and clock for start-stop.
    Genome for me is one of those apps that hasn’t received many updates (version 2.03, tweaking Ableton Link 2 years ago) because it doesn’t need them.

• Well I watched all Genome videos I could find, it seems a great app ,but I really don't like the GUI (SampleWiz era) :/

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @rs2000
    I’m glad to see another Genome fan. Also glad of the time you put in with Mr. Wallin on midi clock ins and outs. It’s smooth as butter using MTS as host for instruments and clock for start-stop.
    Genome for me is one of those apps that hasn’t received many updates (version 2.03, tweaking Ableton Link 2 years ago) because it doesn’t need them.

Thanks 😃
    I've seen Genome being used in various modular synth setups, you can get an old iPad 1 and an Alesis IO Dock for around $100 already and v1.1.3 runs on iOS 5.1.1, that's not much to complain about :)

• edited July 2019

@rs2000 said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @rs2000

Thanks 😃
    I've seen Genome being used in various modular synth setups, you can get an old iPad 1 and an Alesis IO Dock for around $100 already and v1.1.3 runs on iOS 5.1.1, that's not much to complain about :)

Yep I have the older version on my iPad 1 from 2001, and use it with my scope creamware setup. 2.0 is fun too, dudes synths are cool, a shoutout here to his bleep!BOX

• @Littlewoodg said:

@rs2000 said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @rs2000

Thanks 😃

Yep I have the older version on my iPad 1 from 2001, and use it with my scope creamware setup. 2.0 is fun too, dudes synths are cool, a shoutout here to his bleep!BOX

Noah here 🤝

• @rs2000 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@rs2000 said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @rs2000

Thanks 😃

Noah here 🤝

Greg. B)

• Funny, I never think I hear about Creamware here, I still use my Sonic Core Xite a lot in my studio.
    Though I use RME and Apogee with my iPad the Sonic Core (Creamware) is still my favorite sound card by far!

• A few years ago Sonic Core talk about a iPad compatibility.
    For now only windows works with those cards.

• edited July 2019

@Jeezs said:
    A few years ago Sonic Core talk about a iPad compatibility.
    For now only windows works with those cards.

I’m running on an old tower, Windows XP (that’s the last OS it runs on for Windows I thinks) Runs on old Mac towers too I’ve heard - the noisy ones.
    Cool thing on Windows, I can run scope projects into MTS, and move projects between that old tower and iPad