Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

If I unsolder a headphone jack from a USB-C hub, does it disappear?

I have a great USB-C dock for my , but it has a headphone jack. This means that it steals the audio output from my USB audio interface fairly often.

If I remove the USB widget next to the jack on the circuit board, will it just stop showing up? Or is my thinking too simplistic? Here it is:

Comments

• edited June 2019

No chance.
    There is a slight possibility that the audio DAC is internally connected via USB, in that case you might be lucky to achieve what you want by disconnecting the USB data lines between DAC and hub chip. And then you could even add a 2x2 switch to enable or disable the headphones port.

Can you post a hi-res pic of the pcb with the IC numbers readable?

• (I may already have removed a couple of chips :* )

• edited June 2019

I've marked the USB lines of the audio codec. Pins 7 and 8.
    BTW, which hub is that? Looks neat, with ethernet port etc...

• Another way would be to bombard Apple with requests for proper way to manage audio-devices on iOS/iPadOS...

• edited June 2019

@Samu said:
    Another way would be to bombard Apple with requests for proper way to manage audio-devices on iOS/iPadOS...

Isn't that up to each app individually? Only the dev can choose to support multiple audio i/f, right?
    But yes, being able to choose and ignore default interfaces would be quite handy.

• @rs2000 said:

@Samu said:
    Another way would be to bombard Apple with requests for proper way to manage audio-devices on iOS/iPadOS...

Isn't that up to each app individually? Only the dev can choose to support multiple audio i/f, right?
    But yes, being able to choose and ignore default interfaces would be quite handy.

Well, at least on macOS it's possible to set & change the 'default' Input & Ouput devices.
    Apps can then choose to either use the 'defaults' or have their own custom settings.

So in this case you could define the USB-Audio device as a 'default' and bypassing the headphone jack.
    But yeah, these are 'advanced' settings that maybe 0.000001% of iOS/iPadOS users will use...

But even if it was up to every app iOS/iPadOS seems to 'hide' some of the inputs/outputs.
    In for example TwistedWave it's possible to select use the iPads built-in mics even when a USB audio-device is connected so it is doable but very few apps actually implement it.

Next step is to find a hub with no headphone jack...

• @Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

@Samu said:

Well, at least on macOS it's possible to set & change the 'default' Input & Ouput devices.
    Apps can then choose to either use the 'defaults' or have their own custom settings.

Don't forget we're on iOS. We prefer things to feel like technology in the 80s to we can get excited for the next step again :D
    On the Mac I'm using Audio Hijack Pro and it's fantastic.

• @rs2000 That’s fantastic. So if i snip those pins I might get lucky? I’ll give it a try.

Apart from the jack, it’s a pretty good hub.

https://i-tec.cz/en/produkt/c31metal4kdockpd-2/

I got it because it has its own 100W power supply, and it has a USB-C socket so you can use a long cable, instead of the tiny tails these things usually have.

• @mistercharlie said:
    @rs2000 That’s fantastic. So if i snip those pins I might get lucky? I’ll give it a try.

Hopefully! :D

I got it because it has its own 100W power supply, and it has a USB-C socket so you can use a long cable, instead of the tiny tails these things usually have.

Sounds good, thanks!
    Our next project: Hack the codec to add stereo line-inputs B)
    No, just kidding (although it's sometimes "just" a matter of flashing code and adding physical outputs)

• edited June 2019

@mistercharlie said:
    So if i snip those pins I might get lucky? I’ll give it a try.

The easiest way to do it might be to cut the pcb traces next to these pins (given they're not connected elsewhere, but cutting traces is much easier and worth a try).

Edit: You could also just remove that little "T9" transformer next to the pins.

• @mistercharlie said:

BTW, does the HDMI port work with the iPad?

• I > @rs2000 said

That worked! I scraped it off the board and made sure there were no shorts.

Thanks so much. This makes a huge difference.

The HDMI port should work, but I haven’t ever tested it. In theory it should be just fine.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I > @rs2000 said

That worked! I scraped it off the board and made sure there were no shorts.

Thanks so much. This makes a huge difference.

The HDMI port should work, but I haven’t ever tested it. In theory it should be just fine.

You're welcome :smiley:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.