Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best mixes

There's been a lot of discussions on how to achieve a great mix, but I thought it would be interesting to get input on what you feel is a good example....either specific songs or bands. Some that stand out for me are Steely Dan, Supertramp, and Pink Floyd.

Comments

• Pet Sounds.

• Elvis Costello, Imperial Bedroom

• Zappa - Joes Garage period. Some of the best guitar capture ever. The Carpenters...incredible depth and clarity on vocals.
    Aphex - Windowlicker
    Massive Attack - Blue Lines

• edited January 2014

Turn it down! Don't you boys know any nice songs?
    And who could ever forget the Central Scruuuuutinizer....
    Zappa was indeed and in fact nearly genius!

• Anything by Tipper is a reference here, along with BT's This Binary Universe. For rock stuff, I still like the dynamics of something like Dada's "Puzzle" by Bob Clearmountain.

• edited January 2014

Smile by Brian Wilson

Amazing what can be done when you take 35 years to mix it.

• edited January 2014

Hahaha!!! I'm so glad Brian was able to get that released! It's a fantastic album! :-)

I would add Roxy Music's Avalon and More than This as two of the great mixes...

• Listening again on my new Sennheiser Amperion phones. Excuse me while I eargasm.

• Not hated. Every drummer I know worships Jeff Porcaro. For me it's a case of "oh yeah. They did that Rosanna Arquette song." Nice bit of old pop.

• edited January 2014

A few more;
    Sabres Of Paradise - Sabresonic easily Weatherall's best,

Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms

Amon Tobin - ISAM just incredible visually and aurally

All of the Burial releases. Minimal, beautiful mix and production. Makes it sound incredibly easy.

• edited March 2014

• @thinds said:

Sabre Of Paradise - Sabresonic easily Weatherall's best,

I disagree, Two Lone Swordsman will always be my favorite Weatherall material (by a big margin, actually)

• edited March 2014

• edited March 2014

• edited January 2014

The only thing was the Beatles sounded great no matter how they were mixed. Better , yes but at the time they were still the Beatles and nothing else came close.

• The Body Lovers "Number One of Three", Swans "Soundtracks for the Blind"

Essentially all M. Gira-related stuff from that specific era (mid-late 90's, when Swans first broke up)

• edited March 2014

• @Simon said:

@Tritonman2 said:

The only thing was the Beatles sounded great no matter how they were mixed. Better , yes but at the time they were still the Beatles and nothing else came close.

Agreed! :-)

Except that they recorded at Abbey Road and had best sound engineers in the country. Mind you, they deserved all that!

• edited March 2014

• It's a kind of magic by Queen. I remember as a kid discovering that actual stereo was not double mono. It blew my mind!
    Agreed with Steely pedantic Dan, mccartney's 'My brave face', all Michael Franti Spearhead sounds good but they're very hot mixes. Love Jamiroquai's later albums sound. As far as electronica goes Trentemoller sounds very neat to my ear.

• Talking of Mr Bowie, how come no one has mention the brilliant work done on Iggy's Raw Power?

• edited March 2014

• Agreed @Simon but Raw Power was not his best. No bass on an Iggy album?? The re-release told a much better story. He did a pretty good job with production on Mott The Hoople's album All The Young Dudes around the same time,

• edited March 2014

• Tom Petty's WILDFLOWERS album sounds so good to me. Produced by Rick Rubin.

• edited January 2014

Root, Bloody Roots by Sepultura just played on iPod in office and I had forgotten how good the finish was on this. Huge onslaught of sound that never gets muddy or confused. Excellent mixing and production.

• Waaaay back in the day when I was a college student and used to waste sales people's time auditioning stereo equipment I couldn't possibly afford, Weather Report's Heavy Weather and Steely Dan's Aja were my go-to albums.

• edited March 2014

• This is an oddball choice perhaps, but Brandon flowers' (singer from the killers) solo album Flamingo is an incredible production (Daniel Lanois, Stuart Price, and Brendan O'Brien) and most of the songs have incredible mixes (I believe mostly Robert Root, the engineer at the killers studio, though I may be wrong) Not always "perfect" in sound quality or balance, but there's something very special about it.

Peter Gabriel's Up (and So and Us) is incredible as well.

• I'm gonna add Snarky Puppy (any fans?). There's like 30 guys in band and every instrument has his own independent place on sound scene. Fantastic music. Mix is a genius.