Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Guitar sounds in IOS - which way to go?

2»

Comments

• I use a few different approaches:

1. Guitar sound fonts in BS-16 and ToneStack. ChordPolyPad for strumming

https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

1. American Acoustic in SampleTank for playing my own phrases.

2. SessionBand Guitar for generic guitar backing.

3. Almighty Geoshred, of course!

• Thanks man. Another advice to learn to really play guitar? If only one more guy tells me to do that, I might seriously have to consider it...

I am saying you can just make sounds with the guitar and then slice and dice it to fit. No need to 'really' play. :)

Alright then. This was much too clever for me to understand on the first try! 🤪

• edited June 2019

@LeonKowalski - if you don't play guitar, skip 'em and use something like a heavily distorted Hammond organ. The obvious influence here would be Jon Lord from Deep Purple, but there were others with screaming Hammonds.

Ever heard of Lee Michaels?

Nothing here but drums and organ, but DEFINITELY rock. Food for thought anyway....

• I used to be pretty good at rocking it out deep purple style with distorted organ (probably still can but haven’t in a while) and that works sometimes but you will still be missing some things.

I find GeoShred is amazing, GeoShred with a Roli Seaboard (I use the Seaboard Block) is pretty great because you can do that thing where you bend one note into the other quite well and it’s very “guitar” like. You can do it from the touchscreen too. I find that I’ve never been very good at guitar. So, GeoShred is amazing.

• edited June 2019

@Daveypoo said:
    @LeonKowalski - if you don't play guitar, skip 'em and use something like a heavily distorted Hammond organ. The obvious influence here would be Jon Lord from Deep Purple, but there were others with screaming Hammonds.

Nothing here but drums and organ, but DEFINITELY rock. Food for thought anyway....

OMG.

This is extremely awesome. Fantastic music. Shame on me for not knowing him. Because I should have: I actually play some Hammond organ in my band (not a real one, but a good clone, Roland VK-8 through a Neo Ventilator2). He should have been a favourite of mine for decades. At least he is now.

Thanks a lot for bringing this to me!

• @DMan said:
    I used to be pretty good at rocking it out deep purple style with distorted organ (probably still can but haven’t in a while) and that works sometimes but you will still be missing some things.

That's what i did too with my little band, and I want to incorporate it into my iOS music, but I also want to expand it with guitar sounds. Thanks for the feedback!

• IFretless guitar! It has some good guitar sounds plus you can control other apps with it. It also can turn on power chords on the bottom 2 strings which sound great, and you can slide and bend and vibrato at will.

• You guys see this:

• @Daveypoo said:

Not trying to derail from the question. But Niacin (Billy Sheehan, John Novello and Dennis Chambers) get their grittiness from the bass + keyboard combo :wink:

• man that was frickin awesome! Where he’s building loops from that hearing test machine? Godda get me one of these bad boys!

• Very cool> @LeonKowalski said:

@DMan said:
    I used to be pretty good at rocking it out deep purple style with distorted organ (probably still can but haven’t in a while) and that works sometimes but you will still be missing some things.

That's what i did too with my little band, and I want to incorporate it into my iOS music, but I also want to expand it with guitar sounds. Thanks for the feedback!

Super cool organ talk. This is what i did in my band when i was in college. I was on a charlatans uk kick, plus all other manchester type goodness. Had a hammond xb2 or xk2. Something like that. Awesome feeling to compete with guitarist with drive and growl etc.

Recorded the same type on a friend’s song. Below.

Sorry for the derail....hammonds excite me

• Sorry to derail the organ talk...anyone used the Steel String Acoustic in the ROLI Noise Hybrid Acoustic pack?

• @Bootsy said:
    IFretless guitar! It has some good guitar sounds plus you can control other apps with it. It also can turn on power chords on the bottom 2 strings which sound great, and you can slide and bend and vibrato at will.

Right! How could I have forgotten iFretless! Just tried the power chord idea with some extra amp stuff from Stark and like it a lot. Thanks for that!

• Not trying to derail from the question. But Niacin (Billy Sheehan, John Novello and Dennis Chambers) get their grittiness from the bass + keyboard combo :wink:

Hey, any derailing action that includes a gritty Hammond organ is highly welcome!

• Super cool organ talk. This is what i did in my band when i was in college. I was on a charlatans uk kick, plus all other manchester type goodness. Had a hammond xb2 or xk2. Something like that. Awesome feeling to compete with guitarist with drive and growl etc.

Yeah that's why we played a lot of Deep Purple stuff: Hush, When a blind man cries, Perfect Stranger, and the inevitable Smoke on the water, of course...

Very nice!

No need to apologize...Hammonds all the way!

• @LeonKowalski said:

@Daveypoo said:

OMG.

This is extremely awesome. Fantastic music. Shame on me for not knowing him. Because I should have: I actually play some Hammond organ in my band (not a real one, but a good clone, Roland VK-8 through a Neo Ventilator2). He should have been a favourite of mine for decades. At least he is now.

Thanks a lot for bringing this to me!

No problem - glad you dig it. The album's pretty rockin' - he did other stuff, but I like this duo combo the best.

Here's another guitarless band - Rare Bird:

They are more Prog than straight balls-to-the-wall rock, but they're still in the ballpark. This band is notable because it features David Kaffinetti (on electric piano in this video) who went on to become the great Viv Savage of Spinal Tap. He lives around here and I've run into him a number of times. A helluva guy to have a few drinks with, and a smashing keyboardist.

DOWN WITH GUITARS - MORE HAMMOND!!!!!!

• edited June 2019

The company that does “Horn section HD” “ is working in a guitar loops app.

• @mjcouche said:
    Sorry to derail the organ talk...anyone used the Steel String Acoustic in the ROLI Noise Hybrid Acoustic pack?

It's a very pretty and playable patch, but the name is a bit misleading; it's actually one of those complex ROLI patches with a lot of elements to it, built out of a Steel String and a Nylon String sample blended with three oscillator waveforms that are mapped to different elements of MPE modulation via a fairly elaborate matrix configuration. It's not really trying to emulate a natural guitar sound, though in Equator the Nylon sample on its own is pretty good. But the full patch sounds very keyboardy to me, even when played with an Artiphon. It's also pitched an octave low.

iFretless is still my go-to on iOS, but it's a long way from ideal; there are very glaring sample transitions in some of the patches (the hollowbody, which is otherwise lovely, is a particular offender here).

• @Masanga said:

@mjcouche said:
    Sorry to derail the organ talk...anyone used the Steel String Acoustic in the ROLI Noise Hybrid Acoustic pack?

It's a very pretty and playable patch, but the name is a bit misleading; it's actually one of those complex ROLI patches with a lot of elements to it, built out of a Steel String and a Nylon String sample blended with three oscillator waveforms that are mapped to different elements of MPE modulation via a fairly elaborate matrix configuration. It's not really trying to emulate a natural guitar sound, though in Equator the Nylon sample on its own is pretty good. But the full patch sounds very keyboardy to me, even when played with an Artiphon. It's also pitched an octave low.

iFretless is still my go-to on iOS, but it's a long way from ideal; there are very glaring sample transitions in some of the patches (the hollowbody, which is otherwise lovely, is a particular offender here).

Thank you for the response - this helps a lot! I am currently using the American Acoustic in SampleTank, but I’d like to pare down the storage on my iPhone a bit.

• @mjcouche said:

@Masanga said:

@mjcouche said:

Thank you for the response - this helps a lot! I am currently using the American Acoustic in SampleTank, but I’d like to pare down the storage on my iPhone a bit.

Noise definitely won't help with the paring down! The Hybrid Acoustic pack is one of their biggest because of all the samples. (Has some fantastic patches, though; the Double Bass and Bow is phenomenal.)

• Not Gadget, but I’ve been getting good guitar sounds out of SugarBytes Unique.
    The vowel sounds are very similar to a string plucked.

• @LeonKowalski said:

Super cool organ talk. This is what i did in my band when i was in college. I was on a charlatans uk kick, plus all other manchester type goodness. Had a hammond xb2 or xk2. Something like that. Awesome feeling to compete with guitarist with drive and growl etc.

Yeah that's why we played a lot of Deep Purple stuff: Hush, When a blind man cries, Perfect Stranger, and the inevitable Smoke on the water, of course...

Very nice!

No need to apologize...Hammonds all the way!

+1 big Hammond fan here too.

I own a Hammond SK1 plus a Ventilator. 😃

• No problem - glad you dig it. The album's pretty rockin' - he did other stuff, but I like this duo combo the best.

Here's another guitarless band - Rare Bird:

They are more Prog than straight balls-to-the-wall rock, but they're still in the ballpark. This band is notable because it features David Kaffinetti (on electric piano in this video) who went on to become the great Viv Savage of Spinal Tap. He lives around here and I've run into him a number of times. A helluva guy to have a few drinks with, and a smashing keyboardist.

Lovely! Keep them coming! And thanks for the unexpected information. I'm always looking for stuff like that which keeps me ahead of my bandmates, knowledge wise. Because as long as they realize that, they will accept that a f*ing keyboard player and background singer tells them which way to go... (of course I'm kidding, or am I? 😇)

DOWN WITH GUITARS - MORE HAMMOND!!!!!!

The thread has taken an unexpected direction... 🤣

• @Telstar5 said:
    The company that does “Horn section HD” “ is working in a guitar loops app.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on that. I once had some of there drum loop apps (quality stuff), only ditched them for disk space after I had found rock drummer and funk drummer...

• @Zetagy said:
    Not Gadget, but I’ve been getting good guitar sounds out of SugarBytes Unique.
    The vowel sounds are very similar to a string plucked.

Surprising idea, thank you! Haven't used Unique for quite some time, but it's surely worth a revisit.

• +1 big Hammond fan here too.

Rocking combination! 🤟😎

• edited June 2019

@LeonKowalski said:

+1 big Hammond fan here too.

Rocking combination! 🤟😎

Absolutely! When I bought my Ventilator my band members where pretty blown away . (Not blown away by the wind 😂😂)

• For those who don’t know the ventilator is not a medical device but the best Leslie simulator around.

http://neo-instruments.de/en/ventilator/ventilator-features

• @mjcouche said:

This one is really tempting.... but the storage footprint is huge :tongue:

• @senhorlampada said:

@mjcouche said:

This one is really tempting.... but the storage footprint is huge :tongue:

I don’t regret it! And I only use it in Guitarism for practice. Jam Maestro has a great sounding acoustic as well