Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone with "real Tape"

Hi all.
Out of curiosity - anyone (except me) also still working with real tapes, cassettes, multitrackers, etc and have that all connected to the digital world? Analogish fans scream "Hell yeah"...

I am planning on expanding on "old stuff" and would like to know if someone here also likes that kind of stuff.

Maybe there is room for a collaboration :smiley:

Kind regards.

Comments

• Yeah I still use a Revox A77, though not recently as I haven't had time/money to really indulge in new tape.

Used to have an A80 1/2" 4 track that sounded magnificent. I always wanted an 8 track 1" machine but they're impossible to find in Australia.

I record a lot of drums to 4 track cassette.

• Nice. The A77 is a beautiful little machine if you have one in a good condition.
    I recently had a look at 2 of them from the local market - but both were in "clean me first" state. So i did not buy.

You use it for production stuff or just for listening purposes?

I am planning some taped ipad jams atm. Excited to see what i can set up with my dictaphones, 4-tracks and a tape.

• I have recovered my Fostex R8 from storage and found a replacement for my long departed 812 mixer from the auction site.

I still need to find a replacement for my old Opcode Studio 4 and MOTU 2408 to integrate it with Logic Pro and import some of my old tapes. Remastering demo tracks from a 1990s bedroom band is suddenly quite appealing. Nostalgia is a strong force. :-)

• My old Teac Portastudio is in the loft, but since the roof leaks I doubt it’s up to much now.

• @klownshed said:
    Nostalgia is a strong force. :-)

True, that is :smile:

• I bought a Portastudio 424 mkiii a while back that I need to put to better use. Got some new cassettes recently so planning to record 4 tracks straight from iPad.

• edited June 2019

I have a JVC TD-W209 which I sometimes use for some saturation.

Here is one I did subtly..on the guitar. Fresh, maybe not new but not ancient tape. https://foglings.bandcamp.com/track/sunset-echo

Also awesomely bad to record on some 20 year repeatedly use tapes. On the spoken word.
    https://foglings.bandcamp.com/track/sirena-interlude

Mostly, I use plugins though. I just happen to have had the old thing since the early 90s and it still works. I am still slowly backing up rarer tapes.....I'm a huge music slut so it is taking me a long long time...so it is handy, so why not?

• Got a Yamaha MT120 staring at me, if I ever finished a track I use it.

• I’m using tape (Tascam 302) in my little bedroom lofi set up. It’s got a +/- 10% pitch control that’s really cool.

• For inspiration

Hainbach is the master of all tape based music at least on YouTube, but you probably knew that 😉

• Yes, real DAT :D

• I started out on tape (first sound-on-sound and then 4 track cassette). Never had a 4 track of my own, always recorded with a pal who was a bit of a master with it. Finally, realized a lifelong dream and got my own. Yeah - I know, nostalgia is wacko. Haven't even had the chance to work with it yet. Life gets in the way of everything! hehehe

• edited June 2019

this spring I brought my 3 A77s to the electro trash, including lots of tapes, even unused ones. It did break my heart, but it had to be done. All 3 machines didn't quite work anymore, and I don't have the space, time, and money, to fix at least one of them. However I used them quite a bit, also for tape echo, and it's really something to have, so I had my good times.

The Tascam 238 is still hooked up to an old CR1604 mixer, can be used as master clock (track 8 into a KMS-30 that syncs vintage beat boxes and MIDI devices or DAW, or modular synth), so I'm still in the game. But I admit in recent years I use it only rarely. But it's there when I need it. It will never leave my studio, and when I die I will give it including all the periphery to someone who knows how to handle these things.

• Beautiful, ya all :smile:
    So i am now sure to not be the only magnetic tape freak - Although i banned it from my car and stuff ages ago. When i am home and want to love music i often come back here (to Tape that is).

This is now a moment where it is sad that the world is such a big place. I‘d love to meet you people, you Tape-Fans :smile:
    Sadly i have no one around with that nostalgic stuff.

I am all alone with my Dictaphone, Fostex Multitracker and broken Walkman (Or is it Walkmen?) :smiley:

Anyway i am building this up now. Connecting all that stuff to my iPad.
    I have no clue why i did not think of that earlier. Only as of recently when i tried to simulate it digitally with different plugins...

@audiblevideo said:
    Hainbach is the master of all tape based music at least on YouTube, but you probably knew that 😉

For sure, but i am not daring to contact him. He is also in Germany (like i am)...
    Playing or just simply sipping some coffees to talk would be a great thing.

@rs2000 said:
    Yes, real DAT

DAT is digital and not analog :wink:

• @MrBlaschke said:
    I am all alone with my Dictaphone, Fostex Multitracker and broken Walkman (Or is it Walkmen?) :smiley:

It is walkperson now.

• @thatguysmitty said:
    I’m using tape (Tascam 302) in my little bedroom lofi set up. It’s got a +/- 10% pitch control that’s really cool.

Ha! I have the same one sitting in a box waiting for me to hook it up to all this iPad goodness.. and cases of tapes to run through and mine for gold :D .. oh so many tapes.. not enough "real" time..

• @royor said:

@thatguysmitty said:
    I’m using tape (Tascam 302) in my little bedroom lofi set up. It’s got a +/- 10% pitch control that’s really cool.

Ha! I have the same one sitting in a box waiting for me to hook it up to all this iPad goodness.. and cases of tapes to run through and mine for gold :D .. oh so many tapes.. not enough "real" time..

I found a bunch of 60 & 90 min brand new unopened 10pks of blank cassette tapes at a local thrift store for $2 per pkg...bought them all. My kids were like, “what are those?” 😂

• @MrBlaschke said:

@rs2000 said:
    Yes, real DAT

DAT is digital and not analog :wink:

Real tape is real tape is real tape 😅

• edited June 2019

I love tape gear, I got several cassette machines, my favourite ones are:

Marantz CP-430

Sony WM-D6C

Tascam portastudio 246 - 4 track cassette recorder

• @rumorazzi said:

Marantz CP-430
    (4 track cassette recorder)

Sony WM-D6C

Tascam portastudio 246

nice looking setup there! mind if I ask what those little monitors are? I'm looking for something that size that doesn't sound terrible for a little portable setup.

• @palm said:

@rumorazzi said:

Marantz CP-430

Sony WM-D6C

Tascam portastudio 246

nice looking setup there! mind if I ask what those little monitors are? I'm looking for something that size that doesn't sound terrible for a little portable setup.

IK micro monitors

• What's a good battery powered 4 track cassette recorder?

• I still use my 424 fairly regularly.

• @MrBlaschke said:
    Nice. The A77 is a beautiful little machine if you have one in a good condition.
    I recently had a look at 2 of them from the local market - but both were in "clean me first" state. So i did not buy.

You use it for production stuff or just for listening purposes?

I am planning some taped ipad jams atm. Excited to see what i can set up with my dictaphones, 4-tracks and a tape.

They're one of the greatest sounding machines ever. Essential to bypass the mic preamps to really get the hi-fi tape sound it can do.

I use it for the bones of a track usually or recording improv synth jams. Pre delay when mixing, master recorder... most things you could think of using it for.

• @rumorazzi said:

@palm said:

@rumorazzi said:

Marantz CP-430

Sony WM-D6C

Tascam portastudio 246

IK micro monitors

ah thanks!