Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Music «TRANSFORMATOR» by KÜHL... (Updated!)

Comments

• @Kühl said:
    @McD I’m a big Nice & ELP fan. And Bernstein was an American jewel 💎

Lennie was one of the greats of my life. "West Side Story" and "Candide" and then all those New York Philharmonic concerts for children. He changed lives with his art and broke walls down around him.

They are making another "West Side Story" movie. Not the greatest movie (last time) ever but the best musical score with some great lyrics from Stephen Sondheim and choreography. Natalie Woods was such a bad idea... Marni Nixon can sing but it broke the 4th wall for me to see here try. "I feel phoney".

• I trained on the oboe from the age of about 10. If I’d studied a polyphonic instrument I think my brain might have learned to multitask musical lines and harmonies better, but as things are, most of the time I need to hear how things sound together to be sure it’s right.

• @McD I put Pure Synth Platinum to the test with 18 tracks in Cubasis...

• Uno Woo digging your scene. :) Audio clips work well. Whole sound clean, powerful and accomplished.

• I feel quite privileged to read (eavesdrop) the conversations in this thread. Very lovely and fascinating music.

Who the hell wants to discuss how insane we are when we all have a common interest as music which provokes such stimulating comment.

• @Jomodu said:
    I feel quite privileged to read (eavesdrop) the conversations in this thread. Very lovely and fascinating music.

Who the hell wants to discuss how insane we are when we all have a common interest as music which provokes such stimulating comment.

We can always route our insanity into music :smile: so I like Frank Zappa a lot :blush:

• @UnoWoo said:
    Uno Woo digging your scene. :) Audio clips work well. Whole sound clean, powerful and accomplished.

I meant to only use Pure Synth Platinum, as an experiment.

• Pure Synth Platinum again :smiley:
    I liketh it.

• @Kühl said:
    @McD I put Pure Synth Platinum to the test with 18 tracks in Cubasis...

Wow. Stunning use of synth sounds. Very inspiring... Elgar crested some powerful music
    and this gives it a new face.

• @Kühl said:

Pure Synth Platinum again :smiley:
    I liketh it.

Bach would jump on his organ if he could hear this... Pure Synth has a lot of musical
    sounds that hold up in complex harmonies without getting too muddy.

I wonder if there's a MIDI file of the some Stravinski to process with these unique sounds?
    Rite of Spring, Petrushka, Firebird? or Mussorgski's Night on Bald Mountain? or Holst Planets.

• @Kuhl - To make an 18 track Cubasis project do you have to start with 18 MIDI tracks and freeze each track to audio to get a final finished work assigning Pure Synth in each case as the active rendered audio? I've tried that in the past with iSymphonic and kept getting crashes of Cubasis or see tracks that just wouldn't render. Does Pure Synth help get the work done without too much hassle?

• @McD said:
    @Kuhl - To make an 18 track Cubasis project do you have to start with 18 MIDI tracks and freeze each track to audio to get a final finished work assigning Pure Synth in each case as the active rendered audio? I've tried that in the past with iSymphonic and kept getting crashes of Cubasis or see tracks that just wouldn't render. Does Pure Synth help get the work done without too much hassle?

Yeah, iSymphonic is a bitch... or to quote Chrissy Teigen, a pussyassbich (trending) 😆
    It freezes ok, but changes the sound I had chosen to something else... i think it’s better if you use it as inter-app instead of auv3. It has core-midi, try to turn that off.

With the Nimrod, from the enigma variations, I did exactly as you outlined. But the midi file was not very good, so I had to replay some of the tracks myself. With midi you can turn down the bpm and play & record very slowly. However, you lose that capability as soon as you freeze into audio. So I usually fix all the tracks before I assign instruments.

With other works... like Wagner or the piece I did of Mahler... the scores are so complex that I usually gather all the strings in one track, brass etc... but I also make midi shadow-tracks. It’s a copy of a track that I give to a synth that is sounding different, it could be an arpeggio or some shimmering grainy sound. I freeze these tracks last, and cut them into pieces, so that I can spice things up a bit just where I want it. I delete most of these tracks, but keep the parts where I want if to break through into the mix. I hope this was understandable. We just had election night in Norway 🇳🇴 And my party, the REDS, doubled their mandates. The social democrats & The Farmers did best, while our version of the republicans was wiped out. The Christian party lost all their mandates. It’s time for a correction to the left again after a decade with right leaning politicians wanting to privatise everything :smile: it’s back to normal now. Like when I grew up. I feel good.

• @Kühl said:
    I did exactly as you outlined.

Thank you for the clarification on your process with the extra details for making complex orchestrated audio projects. You always create excellent renderings of symphonic classics.

• How did I originally miss this? My loss.
    This is fantastic!
    Synth music that sounds like I want synth music to sound like.
    Beautifully done.

• @Kühl Fun listen, I like the clear mix. Auria sounds good at your command. Also was fun to hear so much musical ground covered in one track.
    Inspiring to hear, thanks for sharing!

• McDMcD
    edited September 2019

I made a quick Bach invention rendering from a MIDI file using Syntronik presets in Cubasis:

• DO believe the hype ! I started this thread reading the comments before listening to the track .. I got through 6 or 7 before eventually listening to the piece. I dont have headphones with me but I’m blown way with what I hear so far.

• @Kühl, @McD
    New Synthonies! Yeah! @LinearLineman will cetainly enjoy them :+1:

• Listened to this once again. Mr. Kuhl is a master at this stuff. I especially like the sardines (from Norway, I mean).

• @McD said:

@Kühl said:
    I did exactly as you outlined.

Thank you for the clarification on your process with the extra details for making complex orchestrated audio projects. You always create excellent renderings of symphonic classics.

Thank you so very much. I thought I maybe was too detailed :smile:

@enc @audiorangutan @JeffChasteen @rs2000

Thank you for the kind words guys. More is coming. I’m working on my new classical piece, my own, handwritten in Notion... really one of my favourite apps. But you have to know how to score with notes :)

I’ve bought my fabfilter compressor in Auria Pro, that’s why I mainly use it for audio.
    I have the fabfilter EQ wich I use to dip the highest frequencies & cut everything under 20hz.
    The last Bach piece was all done in Cubasis, because I bought the 4pockets visual compressor.
    Doug recently had a very good tip on YouTube regarding the use of Bark-filter. I used his settings and voila, very good sound.

K

• @McD said:
    I made a quick Bach invention rendering from a MIDI file using Syntronik presets in Cubasis:

Really good. I love these inventions, having played them in guitar duos at school.
    My wife liked it too :smiley:

Which synth did you use?

• @Kühl said:

@McD said:

Which synth did you use?

I set out to try and make @LinearLineman regret getting a refund for the IK Multimedia Syntronik complete bundle. It's basically a ton of classic synths with presets and not a synth you program.
    I just picked 2 presets that sounded musical and uploaded the result. I also started assigning Syntronik
    instruments to a Stravinski MIDI file with 18 tracks. Syntronik seems to freeze to audio without headaches unlike iSymphonic. I think it got it on sale at %50 off.

Like most things I do it's a quick hack without much "pains taking." I have no patience for pain. Let others
    suffer for my entertainment. Laboring for hours to get it perfect. I just play for hours.

• @McD said:

@Kühl said:

@McD said:

Which synth did you use?

I set out to try and make @LinearLineman regret getting a refund for the IK Multimedia Syntronik complete bundle. It's basically a ton of classic synths with presets and not a synth you program.
    I just picked 2 presets that sounded musical and uploaded the result. I also started assigning Syntronik
    instruments to a Stravinski MIDI file with 18 tracks. Syntronik seems to freeze to audio without headaches unlike iSymphonic. I think it got it on sale at %50 off.

Like most things I do it's a quick hack without much "pains taking." I have no patience for pain. Let others
    suffer for my entertainment. Laboring for hours to get it perfect. I just play for hours.

Thanks for liking Syntronik, I bought the entire package when it came out. Believe me, I don’t like the pain either. It’s often best when it comes easy. Think of all the easy simple melodies Mozart uses in his piano sonatas, but they stick. I often think yo myself that I would have thought of it banale if I should have written it, but that’s maybe because Mozart never heard any psychedelic symptoms rock when he grew up, and I did 😆 I still load my turntable with an occasional Captain Beefheart song.

@LinearLineman Syntronik trallalala :smiley: it’s a Great bunch of Classic synths. A bit like SynthMaster Player, but the sounds load slower. The same patience one must have with Pure Synth. It takes awhile before the sounds load, and I’m super-impatient.

The folks over at Elliot’s Garage has now made T-shirt’s and coffe-mugs on my “slip of the lip’ request on twitter.
    They have some good apps, like Factory & Aparillo.

• @Kühl said:
    The folks over at Elliot’s Garage has now made T-shirt’s and coffe-mugs on my “slip of the lip’ request on twitter.
    They have some good apps, like Factory & Aparillo.

That's the "Sugar Bytes" team, right? I thought Elliot's Garage was a solo dev named Elliot.
    Haven't entered the Garage yet... came close a couple times but not yet.

Haven't heard the "slip of the lip" story yet.

• I used to play this fugue on classical guitar back in the day....
    @McD @LinearLineman @enc @rs2000 @UnoWoo @Jomodu

I just did a vivisection of it and have tried to reveal the melodies and counterpoints for all to enjoy :smiley:

Bach is so Motorik in his music that he surely must have invented Krautrock :smiley:
    I messed with the idea of adding drums, but decided I wouldn’t.
    If anyone wants to try adding or drums, go ahead, I think it’s 84 bpm.

• @Kühl said:
    I used to play this fugue on classical guitar back in the day....

I just did a vivisection of it and have tried to reveal the melodies and counterpoints for all to enjoy :smiley:

Bach is so Motorik in his music that he surely must have invented Krautrock :smiley:

Wow, that's a great rendition!! Love it.
    I might add something to it when time permits.

• edited November 2019

Very enjoyable rendering! Such beautiful conceptions by J.S. And more than alive today. You input on a keyboard or piano roll? And the picture of Bach smoking is the best part!

• @rs2000 said:

@Kühl said:
    I used to play this fugue on classical guitar back in the day....

Wow, that's a great rendition!! Love it.
    I might add something to it when time permits.

Add what you want... The ending is a bit abrupt. I initially want a sustained chord there. :smile:
    But it is what it is. For the arpeggios lines I used SynthMaster One & Cubasis Minotaur... micro... forgot the name, it’s the built in synth. I used the organ sounds of Wendy Carlos, bought in SynthMaster Player. The lead voice is cubasis with a slight touch of a vocoder filter from Virsyn.

@LinearLineman Bach was smoking all the time, hiding behind containers at the harbour, not to get caught by Anna Magdalena.

@McD
    The Motorik rythm, invented by CAN & NEU (Krautrock Bands 70s) was my inspiration, but I didn’t add the drums.

Motorik is the 4/4 beat often used by, and heavily associated with, krautrock bands. Coined by music journalists, the term is German for "motor skill". The motorik beat was pioneered by Jaki Liebezeit, drummer with German experimental rock band Can. Klaus Dinger of Neu!, another early pioneer of motorik, later called it the "Apache beat".

The motorik beat is in 4/4 time and of moderate pace. The pattern is repeated each bar throughout the song. A splash or crash cymbal is often hit at the beginning bar of a verse or chorus. The basic pattern is as follows::

Beat 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
    Hi-hat x x x x x x x x
    Snare – – x – – – x –
    Kick x x – x x x – x

• What a great thread, don't know how I missed it before. Man, @kuhl I love the first piece you posted.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Very enjoyable rendering! Such beautiful conceptions by J.S. And more than alive today. You input on a keyboard or piano roll? And the picture of Bach smoking is the best part!

Input by notes by Apple Pencil ✏️ that’s faster for me than playing. :smile: I’m using Symphony Pro again over Notion. Rumour is a new version is coming soon.
    I found the score online, but had to edit it, because not all voices was good with the arpeggios.
    So out of three voices I made several more by cutting out sections & assigning new sounds to them. The organ is originally the part of the bass that was unplayable by the Arpeggio. And then I transfer the voices by midi-file to Cubasis, where I adjust a bit of timing in the piano roll... and giving it a more Hunan feel, by adjusting the velocity of individual notes. That’s important. I lay weight on the notes like I would have played them. And it’s very educating, sitting with scissors & glue, cutting Bach’s fugue into pieces. It’s thrilling to search for the theme hidden inside. And I like to analyse the chords this strict form of polyphony gives.

I hope that was clarifying.