Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ampify – An introduction

Comments

• edited July 2019

The cynical side of me thinks this was just damage control for critical App Store reviews. The optimistic side hopes it was genuine communication leading in the direction of..... something.

• Play fair , not even a month has passed...

• I would like to be able to work more in depth with samples on Blocs and maybe a few effects

• @Korakios said:
    Play fair , not even a month has passed...

😂

• It's summer boys...

Wait until december to start ranting... :trollface:

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    It's summer boys...

Or wait until NEVER to start ranting.

The between-the-lines (it wasn't even between the lines but people treated it as such) is that there isn't some imminent sea change. It sounds like they are re-tooling their software architecture -- and folks: such things can take a very long time if the old architecture was ancient.

No one should expect that the next version will address their pet issue. Hopefully, they are getting the architecture in place that will make the sorts of requests people have made more possible.

The fact that someone spent time to come here and communicate should be taken as an act of good faith. It isn't like Audiobus Forum generates hundreds of thousands of dollars of income to fuel development. So, there isn't some incentive for them to come in and trick us. I take the rep at his/her word. They are interested in hearing people's interests. That doesn't mean that those features are going to be implemented in the near term -- and some not even in the far term. But that isn't a sign of bad faith. I've been involved in music software development for something like 40 years. The amount of feature requests always far exceeds any developer's ability to implement them -- and many feature requests end up being at odds with each other.

Have patience folks. iOS music apps don't generate a lot of revenue. The wheels turn slowly.

Be glad that they turn.

I am looking forward to what they come up with because what they have come up with so far is awfully fun.

• @espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    It's summer boys...

The between-the-lines (it wasn't even between the lines but people treated it as such) is that there isn't some imminent sea change. It sounds like they are re-tooling their software architecture -- and folks: such things can take a very long time if the old architecture was ancient.

No one should expect that the next version will address their pet issue. Hopefully, they are getting the architecture in place that will make the sorts of requests people have made more possible.

The fact that someone spent time to come here and communicate should be taken as an act of good faith. It isn't like Audiobus Forum generates hundreds of thousands of dollars of income to fuel development. So, there isn't some incentive for them to come in and trick us. I take the rep at his/her word. They are interested in hearing people's interests. That doesn't mean that those features are going to be implemented in the near term -- and some not even in the far term. But that isn't a sign of bad faith. I've been involved in music software development for something like 40 years. The amount of feature requests always far exceeds any developer's ability to implement them -- and many feature requests end up being at odds with each other.

Have patience folks. iOS music apps don't generate a lot of revenue. The wheels turn slowly.

Be glad that they turn.

I am looking forward to what they come up with because what they have come up with so far is awfully fun.

Ack! Bitter sober reality! How dare you!

• Oh, I feel so used.

Ampify, come back. Please, just hold my hand!

• @espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    It's summer boys...

Be glad that they turn.

on Audiobus forum? with Ampify?
    I was just kidding but there are lots of reasons to take it seriously... it's not the first time, even I'm mostly agreed with you in patience.
    Almost to start claiming heaven is falling... I expect better Ampify this time due they are still alive. They were on somekind of internal restructure last time but they should be ready soon and this new post just the getting ready the waters.

• @TheDubbyLabby : the rep was clear that there wasn't something major imminent.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @TheDubbyLabby : the rep was clear that there wasn't something major imminent.

I wasn't expecting it neither but also we are in summer and maybe holidays, that was the joke... :wink:
    I'm happy with Blocs, neutral with Groovebox and away with Launchpad (but this is more related to Apple each single day it goes)

• Hey all!

Andrew here. I'm still around and keeping an eye on things! I promise nobody has been forgotten!

@lovadamusic said:
    Oh, I feel so used.

@lovadamusic holds hand

All is well in Ampify land. We are hard at work over here. @espiegel123 is correct, my arrival on the boards was just so that I could be more involved with you all because we actually appreciate what a large number of people here have done for us!

The moment I have some exciting news for you guys you all will be the first to know.

• @AmpifyxNovation said:
    Hey all!

Andrew here. I'm still around and keeping an eye on things! I promise nobody has been forgotten!

@lovadamusic said:
    Oh, I feel so used.

@lovadamusic holds hand

All is well in Ampify land. We are hard at work over here. @espiegel123 is correct, my arrival on the boards was just so that I could be more involved with you all because we actually appreciate what a large number of people here have done for us!

The moment I have some exciting news for you guys you all will be the first to know.

All I know is that I spent several hours in Groovebox yesterday afternoon, and had a blast.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@AmpifyxNovation said:
    Hey all!

@lovadamusic said:
    Oh, I feel so used.

@lovadamusic holds hand

All I know is that I spent several hours in Groovebox yesterday afternoon, and had a blast.

I'm thinking I gotta set up a Groovebox / FX ---> Blocs / FX -----> BM3 pipeline with multiple ipads one of these days...

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@AmpifyxNovation said:
    Hey all!

@lovadamusic said:
    Oh, I feel so used.

@lovadamusic holds hand

What do you mean when you say ‘nobody has been forgotten’? No offence- but I am mildly concerned that this could be a meaningless and empty platitude as previously and regularly experienced. Would you kindly elucidate? Many thanks.
    Andrew are you autominously in charge of this department- are you calling the shots, setting the standards for it and making it your own- or are you following a regular brief from the paymasters above? Because let me tell you- after the last timewaster you have a lot to do if you are going to meaningfully re-engage with this forum (well me at least anyway). If all you are going to do is drop in every so often to tell us the ‘exiting news’ whilst ignoring people who are trying to engage with you- then I for one would rather you didn’t bother at all.
    You have already been asked several things which have been ignored completely. Are you so busy with your specific role that you can’t answer a handful of queries despite the fact that you announced your presence here in order to do so?

• @robosardine : Are you trying to chase him away?

I will tell you from experience, it is rarely a time-efficient way for a developer (or their employees) to engage in a conversation about what features are or aren't in consideration ESPECIALLY when a developer is re-doing their software framework even when tbe discussion is with someone friendly.

It is especially unwise to have such conversations in public with an audience that included people whose leanings are skeptical or hostile.

Man, the guy has said several times that he just wanted to establish a connection and that there is nothing imminent.

Give him a break. I would guess that as they re-tool they are especially not in a position to share details. If they made promises or even suggested a direction, there would be a chance those promises wouldn't bear fruit. A lot changes during development.

Why be so hostile and demanding?

I can guarantee you: no one likes having a conversation with someone whose starting position is hostile and skeptical.

If you actually want to be heard, be nice and wait till the person indicates they are ready for some kind of discussion.

It is perfectly reasonable for a dev (or their rep) to be curious to hear what people's priorities are without replying as to the likelihood of any of those requests being implemented.

• edited July 2019

Ouou,
    I was watching the classic BM3 show and was looking for something more interesting. Well, AUXY documentary was boring , but those Ampify new seasons seems interesting

• @espiegel123 said:
    @robosardine : Are you trying to chase him away?

I will tell you from experience, it is rarely a time-efficient way for a developer (or their employees) to engage in a conversation about what features are or aren't in consideration ESPECIALLY when a developer is re-doing their software framework even when tbe discussion is with someone friendly.

It is especially unwise to have such conversations in public with an audience that included people whose leanings are skeptical or hostile.

Man, the guy has said several times that he just wanted to establish a connection and that there is nothing imminent.

Give him a break. I would guess that as they re-tool they are especially not in a position to share details. If they made promises or even suggested a direction, there would be a chance those promises wouldn't bear fruit. A lot changes during development.

Why be so hostile and demanding?

I can guarantee you: no one likes having a conversation with someone whose starting position is hostile and skeptical.

If you actually want to be heard, be nice and wait till the person indicates they are ready for some kind of discussion.

It is perfectly reasonable for a dev (or their rep) to be curious to hear what people's priorities are without replying as to the likelihood of any of those requests being implemented.

I am not being hostile- and I do not appreciate being accused of such.
    I am merely holding him to account of what he actually said- here it is again. I think you may have missed it. (I think it is more like you who is being hostile)

‘to say that I will be monitoring here regularly for feedback, questions, comments, and concerns, and will do my best to answer with as much clarity, transparency, and speed as possible’.

To me this could not be much clearer- or could it be?
    I am merely asking for clarity of his intentions and position given what to me seems a specifically laid out intention in order that the waste of time disappointment of his predecessor is not mirrored- in particular if you would care to take the time to check further back- that glaring similarities are already emerging.
    It is a reasonable response to his dialogue given the pledges contained within and what has happened since.

• @robosardine : I don't doubt that you are well intentioned. But questioning whether someone is wasting your time when they haven't demanded any of your time. No one from Ampify has asked us to do anything that requires any significant investment of time -- hence, they can't be wasting our time.

It isn't worth my time to go back and find the exact quote, but he also stated pretty early on that there wasn't anything imminent and that he was primarily opening a line of communication and would fill us in when there was something to say.

In what you quoted he says "as possible". Given what he shared around the same time about there being nothing imminent, it probably isn't possible to share information about future direction. And the wave of skepticism with which he was greeted was probably bracing.

I guess people may not be intending to be hostile, but there is a definite tone to a lot of what gets posted that is not really friendly.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @robosardine : I don't doubt that you are well intentioned. But questioning whether someone is wasting your time when they haven't demanded any of your time. No one from Ampify has asked us to do anything that requires any significant investment of time -- hence, they can't be wasting our time.

It isn't worth my time to go back and find the exact quote, but he also stated pretty early on that there wasn't anything imminent and that he was primarily opening a line of communication and would fill us in when there was something to say.

In what you quoted he says "as possible". Given what he shared around the same time about there being nothing imminent, it probably isn't possible to share information about future direction. And the wave of skepticism with which he was greeted was probably bracing.

I guess people may not be intending to be hostile, but there is a definite tone to a lot of what gets posted that is not really friendly.

I understand your point. My ‘waste of time inference’ was in relation to previous experiences where discourse was invited- then completely ignored. The waste of time in this case would therefore be taking the time to begin a conversation after an invitation to do so- followed by no reply or acknowledgement whatsoever. He offered to respond to comments and questions as ‘soon as possible’ this in unambiguous. Well over a week later and (still) no response whatsoever to most of them is by no stretch of the imagination responding ‘as soon as possible.’
    Andrew made a clear pledge as mentioned previously outlining that it was part of the remit of his job. He also acknowledged that things were previously far from perfect indicating that he would be making amends. He has been back since and does not appear to be doing what he said he would- which given what happened before has taken me aback slightly since it appears at this time to be heading the same way.
    Let’s see what happens.

• Robosardie wrote:

“Because let me tell you- after the last timewaster you have a lot to do if you are going to meaningfully re-engage with this forum (well me at least anyway). If all you are going to do is drop in every so often to tell us the ‘exiting news’ whilst ignoring people who are trying to engage with you- then I for one would rather you didn’t bother at all. “

So rude.

• To review:

AmpifyxNovation: "We want to develop meaningful relationships with our customers, and the community on this forum is no different. Instead of approaching this as a second go-around of listing feature requests for us to digest, I prefer to think of this as an ongoing conversation. As we move through iterations of the apps' development, I will aim to share as much as possible."

AmpifyxNovation: "Beyond that, we are looking at the next set of issues to tackle, but I would be hesitant to get more specific than that until we have actually begun work on it. When we have a definitive choice made, I will report back here with an update for you all."

AmpifyxNovation: "If something slips through the cracks, you can always follow up with me directly.

That said, it is often a difficult position to be in when it comes to responding to whether or not a feature request is going to be implemented - we weigh up a number of issues, and look at a large number of feature requests/changes (I have tracked feedback for nearly 70 so far in my time here, and there are more that our developers have had sent their way). So often the closest truthful answer is neither yes or no, but rather we're not sure at that point in time and we don't want to set you up for false expectations. So the most transparent I can be while still being honest is by letting you know what we are, for certain, working on at the moment."

So they're monitoring the situation here, tracking feedback. There won't be definitive answers until something is certain. That's it. Nothing says anyone here can't be belligerent about the whole thing, but is that helping? What obligation does Ampify really have here?

• @robosardine: “as soon as possible” doesn’t mean soon or right away. He’ll try to update us WHEN there is something new to report on..which he also said would NOT be soon.

No one’s time was wasted. We weren’t given some time-consuming task, there will be news when there’s news as long (as long as we don’t chase him off with our impatience).

• their obligated to not start a subscription service :D

sorry I couldn't help it

• @robosardine

I am sorry if you feel my attempt at bringing some clarity and transparency to the community here on our work has been less than what you hoped. Rather than responding to each question posed to me about feature requests or changes with a generic "We don't know if/when this will be available," I was attempting to inform the overall situation about what is happening currently because that is how we develop our apps. We select important issues/features that need addressing and work until it's done (usually). While we do have a long term goal in mind that informs our decision making process, this is regularly adapted and reviewed.

That said, in regard to the specific questions you've asked (namely, will Groovebox get a new synth, and will Groovebox get automation?), I can say that 1) Groovebox getting a new synth is something we have discussed more frequently recently, and 2) Automation for Groovebox is probably a bit further off. Neither one of these is a definite no or yes though for the time being because neither one of these is being worked on right this second.

However, I can also say we are shifting our attention away from the backend work we have done and will be focusing more on Groovebox in the coming weeks. What that is specifically is undecided for the moment, but the hope is we can address one of the feature requests people here have been mentioning.

So, to answer your other question as to what I mean by "nobody has been forgotten", I mean that we are listening to what you have to say and taking it under direct advisement, and will continue to do so regularly (even if you don't see me posting weekly feature updates). Part of my role, aside from trying to engage more with the community here, is to collect all of your feedback and share it with our engineers so we can have a more educated development process.

If you feel there are additional concerns that you would like me to have a look at, please feel free to let me know here or via direct message and I will most definitely respond to them.

Best,
    Andrew

• @AmpifyxNovation said:
    @robosardine

I am sorry if you feel my attempt at bringing some clarity and transparency to the community here on our work has been less than what you hoped. Rather than responding to each question posed to me about feature requests or changes with a generic "We don't know if/when this will be available," I was attempting to inform the overall situation about what is happening currently because that is how we develop our apps. We select important issues/features that need addressing and work until it's done (usually). While we do have a long term goal in mind that informs our decision making process, this is regularly adapted and reviewed.

That said, in regard to the specific questions you've asked (namely, will Groovebox get a new synth, and will Groovebox get automation?), I can say that 1) Groovebox getting a new synth is something we have discussed more frequently recently, and 2) Automation for Groovebox is probably a bit further off. Neither one of these is a definite no or yes though for the time being because neither one of these is being worked on right this second.

However, I can also say we are shifting our attention away from the backend work we have done and will be focusing more on Groovebox in the coming weeks. What that is specifically is undecided for the moment, but the hope is we can address one of the feature requests people here have been mentioning.

So, to answer your other question as to what I mean by "nobody has been forgotten", I mean that we are listening to what you have to say and taking it under direct advisement, and will continue to do so regularly (even if you don't see me posting weekly feature updates). Part of my role, aside from trying to engage more with the community here, is to collect all of your feedback and share it with our engineers so we can have a more educated development process.

If you feel there are additional concerns that you would like me to have a look at, please feel free to let me know here or via direct message and I will most definitely respond to them.

Best,
    Andrew

Cool stuff. Good to hear Groovebox may be getting some love soon.

• Well they acquired Adam Audio, that counts for a new Feature.

• @AmpifyxNovation said:
    @robosardine

Best,
    Andrew

Thank you Andrew- much appreciated- everything seems clearer now, as the saying goes.
    No offence intended- my earlier tetchieness was really a product of previous experiences so apologies for that. I am now going to forget what previously happened and look on your tenure as a fresh start completely devolved from the past.
    Best wishes

• edited July 2019

Hi Andrew! Don’t give up on us—your presence here is appreciated. I love the @AmpifyxNovation apps, especially Groovebox. Now that you’ve hopefully gotten acclimated to our cynicism, I have an actual question for you😁...Can you tell us more about the backend work you guys have been doing? Some posters have referred to it as “rewriting their codebase”. Is that accurate? Towards what end is it aimed? As it is, your apps always seemed very stable and efficient to me, so I’m curious why the backend work is being done. Thanks for your time!