Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tonality - Music Reference by Bryce Hostetler - Updated with Midi and Auv3 support

Comments

• Okay I’ll add this feature to my list. I’m working on an ear-training and transcribing feature right now though so it will be a bit before I get to it.

• @TonalityApp said:
    Okay I’ll add this feature to my list. I’m working on an ear-training and transcribing feature right now though so it will be a bit before I get to it.

Great thanks for considering it. I don’t know of any othe AUs that use sheet music XML to send midi / so would make this quite unique.

• O crap, I just bought this app thinking it would include a guitar fretboard. No idea why I even thought that but it did make me curious if that might be possible at come point?

• @gkillmaster said:
    O crap, I just bought this app thinking it would include a guitar fretboard. No idea why I even thought that but it did make me curious if that might be possible at come point?

That’s definitely on my list but it might be a while.

• Glad it’s useful! Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Hi! Just one so far - there may be a better way to do this than I’ve found so far, but if I actually want to work on the chords ‘off line’ as it were, I find myself using the lock function to freeze the chord display to manually write down the identified chords, beat by beat. It would be great if the live chord transcription display had a sort-of step time playback function, so I could grab/record an incoming phrase, then step through the phrase note by note, pick a chord, for each, and just by tapping it, have it added to a ‘notepad’ file which I could then export, either as text, or - much better - as a standard .mid file which I could then take back into Photon AU, Modstep etc.

• @Svetlovska said:

Glad it’s useful! Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Hi! Just one so far - there may be a better way to do this than I’ve found so far, but if I actually want to work on the chords ‘off line’ as it were, I find myself using the lock function to freeze the chord display to manually write down the identified chords, beat by beat. It would be great if the live chord transcription display had a sort-of step time playback function, so I could grab/record an incoming phrase, then step through the phrase note by note, pick a chord, for each, and just by tapping it, have it added to a ‘notepad’ file which I could then export, either as text, or - much better - as a standard .mid file which I could then take back into Photon AU, Modstep etc.

Glad you’ve mentioned this! That’s exactly what I’m working on in the transcription tool I mentioned in an earlier comment (for both midi and audio inputs).

• Excellent!

• @Svetlovska said:

Glad it’s useful! Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Great idea glad the Dev is looking into it.

• Love the app!

Super minor request: It would be great if when you tap on the currently selected chord in the Circle of Fifths tab it replayed the chord.

I'm using the wheel to experiment with different chord progressions and often I want to play the same chord a couple times in a row. This change would let me do that.

• @walkie said:
    Love the app!

Super minor request: It would be great if when you tap on the currently selected chord in the Circle of Fifths tab it replayed the chord.

I'm using the wheel to experiment with different chord progressions and often I want to play the same chord a couple times in a row. This change would let me do that.

Yeah that would make a lot of sense. I’ll fix it in the next update!

• @TonalityApp said:

@walkie said:
    Love the app!

Awesome, thanks!!

• edited August 2019

@TonalityApp said:

@walkie said:
    Love the app!

Great news, iosbeta13 version 4 now works with the grand staff AU! I love this feature! So useful.

• Can the chord pads be triggered with midi?

• @ToMess said:
    Can the chord pads be triggered with midi?

That feature is coming in a future update!

• Just got this. Nicely done!

Using it mainly for the chord pad AU, and it’s got a nice flow to it, the way you can easily make inversions and variations. Good stuff!

• @e121 said:
    Just got this. Nicely done!

Using it mainly for the chord pad AU, and it’s got a nice flow to it, the way you can easily make inversions and variations. Good stuff!

Thank you! Feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions.

• @TonalityApp said:

@e121 said:

For the chord pad AU might be good to allow for some indication that a chord has been inverted or changed. Custom colors for the pads would do the trick, also serving the purpose of letting users group pads by color for any other reason they wanted as well.

Maybe you could add a custom color palette on the same page as the octave selector, so that when a pad’s notes were chosen, a color could be chosen as well.

• @e121 said:

@TonalityApp said:

@e121 said:

For the chord pad AU might be good to allow for some indication that a chord has been inverted or changed. Custom colors for the pads would do the trick, also serving the purpose of letting users group pads by color for any other reason they wanted as well.

Maybe you could add a custom color palette on the same page as the octave selector, so that when a pad’s notes were chosen, a color could be chosen as well.

Great idea! Would custom labels be good too?

• @TonalityApp said:

@ToMess said:

Nice. Been waiting for an au where i can easily make custom chords to and trigger from external gear :)

I might get this before that update because there are some other useful features on it as well

• @ToMess said:

@TonalityApp said:

@ToMess said:

Nice. Been waiting for an au where i can easily make custom chords to and trigger from external gear :)

I might get this before that update because there are some other useful features on it as well

What kind of midi messages would you use as triggers? Just curious as to what might be the most popular.

• edited August 2019

@TonalityApp so for chord inversions I like to see figured bass notation used on the grand staff.

I see the sustain pedal midi cc 64 is not working on AU grandstaff although I can see the GUI react to the midi input, also sustain pedal does not work on chord identification AU.

I like grand staff to also have the lock option please.

Also the chord AU doesn't show the edited chord name/symbol.

Many thanks for your hard work 🙏

• @TonalityApp said:

@e121 said:

@TonalityApp said:

@e121 said:

Great idea! Would custom labels be good too?

Custom colors would be enough for me.

• Great app. Is there any possibility of adding a function, like in the Chord! App for guitar, that allows you to create song sheets with lyrics and chords above? This would be very helpful as I write a lot of songs with chords I just made up and don’t know, so I’d like to be able to have a sheet with the lyrics, te chord names above where chord changes, and at the top of the page a set of diagrams corresponding to all the chords used in te song, just like guitar tab books do. Thanks again

• edited August 2019

@[Deleted User] said:
    @TonalityApp so for chord inversions I like to see figured bass notation used on the grand staff.

I see the sustain pedal midi cc 64 is not working on AU grandstaff although I can see the GUI react to the midi input, also sustain pedal does not work on chord identification AU.

What do you mean by edited chord name/symbol? I’ll add a lock option and work on sustain functionality in the future.

Figured bass seems like a somewhat uncommon way to show things (unless you’re classically trained) but I can work on making that an option.

• @wingwizard said:
    Great app. Is there any possibility of adding a function, like in the Chord! App for guitar, that allows you to create song sheets with lyrics and chords above? This would be very helpful as I write a lot of songs with chords I just made up and don’t know, so I’d like to be able to have a sheet with the lyrics, te chord names above where chord changes, and at the top of the page a set of diagrams corresponding to all the chords used in te song, just like guitar tab books do. Thanks again

Chord progression support is on my list! It may be a while however.

• edited August 2019

@TonalityApp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

What do you mean by edited chord name/symbol? I’ll add a lock option and work on sustain functionality in the future.

Figured bass seems like a somewhat uncommon way to show things (unless you’re classically trained) but I can work on making that an option.

When you edit the chord in AU Chord this is not reflected in the chord name so a CM remains a CM if you edit it to CM7, of course you can just choose CM7 in the first place which works.

On the grandstaff AU if you use figured bass then it fit with the grandstaff notion which is already classical. 6 - 4 below the note/chord is very elegant. I'm happy for the inversion b,c method or root , 1 if you think it will work better of course.

• @TonalityApp said:

@ToMess said:

@TonalityApp said:

@ToMess said:

What kind of midi messages would you use as triggers? Just curious as to what might be the most popular.

Midi notes. I think that would be best overall for triggers. If you make it start from middle C and allow transposing few octaves, it would be perfect. Changing pages/presets/banks(if there are any) of the chord pads with midi cc or program change would be a decent addition to it, but more like a fun bonus than something i really need. This would allow you to have separate chord pads for verse, chorus etc.

This would also be nice for rerouting single midi notes. Like for example with my mpc, i could set up it to have 4 custom chords and 12 what ever single notes on one pad page, which would be really nice. Or just have 16 notes on the pads in custom scale.

Addition of like 4 banks would also be nice, you know like on mpc and beatmaker where you have multiple pages of pads. This would allow you to make longer custom scales/chords that can be played nicely on keyboard and not be limited to 16

• @[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

When you edit the chord in AU Chord this is not reflected in the chord name so a CM remains a CM if you edit it to CM7, of course you can just choose CM7 in the first place which works.

On the grandstaff AU if you use figured bass then it fit with the grandstaff notion which is already classical. 6 - 4 below the note/chord is very elegant. I'm happy for the inversion b,c method or root , 1 if you think it will work better of course.

Ahh okay yeah that’s definitely a bug. I’ll fix it soon!

I guess the grandstaff is technically classical but it’s also used for other genres. I don’t really want to force figured bass into people but I’ll work on multiple notation methods.

• edited August 2019

@TonalityApp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I guess the grandstaff is technically classical but it’s also used for other genres. I don’t really want to force figured bass into people but I’ll work on multiple notation methods.

Haha ok then root, inv 1, 2 etc.. will do it 👍

• @[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Haha ok then root, inv 1, 2 etc.. will do it 👍

I’ll probably implement both. Just want there to be options as not everyone is familiar with figured bass.