Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tonality - Music Reference by Bryce Hostetler - Updated with Midi and Auv3 support

Comments

• @WillieNegus said:
    Does this analyze/identify audio?

I’m also working on more robust transcription tools (as well as improving the existing chord ID function) but this might not be available for a while.

• @TonalityApp said:

@WillieNegus said:
    Does this analyze/identify audio?

I’m also working on more robust transcription tools (as well as improving the existing chord ID function) but this might not be available for a while.

Thanks for all your hard work 👍

• Thanks @CracklePot and @TonalityApp

So if I understand correctly, in order for me to have it iD Chords from audio now I need to have it loaded as AU on a track and record the audio?

• @WillieNegus said:
    Thanks @CracklePot and @TonalityApp

So if I understand correctly, in order for me to have it iD Chords from audio now I need to have it loaded as AU on a track and record the audio?

The chord ID is not currently available as an AU. In the standalone app, you can navigate to the “Chord ID” tab, play a chord on your instrument, and press the “Identify” button to capture a short segment of audio to analyze. Please keep in mind that the instrument must be tuned and higher octaves produce better results (low octave accuracy is another thing I’m still working on).

• @TonalityApp said:

@WillieNegus said:

The chord ID is not currently available as an AU. In the standalone app, you can navigate to the “Chord ID” tab, play a chord on your instrument, and press the “Identify” button to capture a short segment of audio to analyze. Please keep in mind that the instrument must be tuned and higher octaves produce better results (low octave accuracy is another thing I’m still working on).

Gotcha. I was intending to use it for audio files. I create sample based music so sometimes I have loops from songs or ones I buy that I’d like to ID and quickly add to them.

• @WillieNegus said:

@TonalityApp said:

@WillieNegus said:

Gotcha. I was intending to use it for audio files. I create sample based music so sometimes I have loops from songs or ones I buy that I’d like to ID and quickly add to them.

Yeah in that case Tonality in its current form might not be for you. I have a feature that lets you load audio files for analysis and view a spectrogram and all sorts of things but it’s still in its infancy. I’ll let you know when it’s available.

• @TonalityApp said:

@WillieNegus said:

@TonalityApp said:

@WillieNegus said:

Yeah in that case Tonality in its current form might not be for you. I have a feature that lets you load audio files for analysis and view a spectrogram and all sorts of things but it’s still in its infancy. I’ll let you know when it’s available.

Sounds great. When you get that working...whoa man. Especially how you have the keys id’d so people can learn how to play them. Would be a game changer for sample based producers. I understand the accuracy is difficult but even ballpark helps a ton.

• Any more information about this app? I’m liking what I’m seeing, especially it being an AU, but can’t find any videos or anything.

• @e121 said:
    Any more information about this app? I’m liking what I’m seeing, especially it being an AU, but can’t find any videos or anything.

I found this review:

http://a4irebith.weebly.com/blog/tonality-music-reference-v31

• edited July 2019

@e121 said:
    Any more information about this app? I’m liking what I’m seeing, especially it being an AU, but can’t find any videos or anything.

Also see http://tonality-music-theory.webnode.com and feel free to contact me with any questions

• How would you all feel about Tonality switching to a free app with in-app purchases to unlock the AUs and more chords/scales? Existing users would keep all features for free of course.

• @TonalityApp said:
    How would you all feel about Tonality switching to a free app with in-app purchases to unlock the AUs and more chords/scales? Existing users would keep all features for free of course.

Personally i don’t like in-app purchases at all.

• I’m trying to find a way to let people try it out (or just use basic features for free) and then pay for everything if they want. Any alternative suggestions?

• @TonalityApp said:
    I’m trying to find a way to let people try it out (or just use basic features for free) and then pay for everything if they want. Any alternative suggestions?

You can have two apps, a lite version for free i guess.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:
    I’m trying to find a way to let people try it out (or just use basic features for free) and then pay for everything if they want. Any alternative suggestions?

Apple really discourages that nowadays.

• @TonalityApp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

Its also discouraging for early adopters to pay for a app that becomes free too. Anyway, im sure you’ll find the best way in the end.

• @TonalityApp said:

That works for me.
    I already paid.

IAP sucks for people who want to be able to reinstall an app from backup, even if it is no longer on the AppStore.
    But I have so many apps with purchased IAPs, that it is hopeless for me to attempt that backup scenario.

Just whatever you do, please, no subscription. :)

• edited July 2019

@[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

Its also discouraging for early adopters to pay for a app that becomes free too. Anyway, im sure you’ll find the best way in the end.

Yeah understandable. The paid in-app purchase would be the same price as the app is now, and the free version wouldn’t include everything. Would that help?

• @CracklePot said:

@TonalityApp said:

That works for me.
    I already paid.

IAP sucks for people who want to be able to reinstall an app from backup, even if it is no longer on the AppStore.
    But I have so many apps with purchased IAPs, that it is hopeless for me to attempt that backup scenario.

Just whatever you do, please, no subscription. :)

I hadn’t thought about that. I don’t plan on pulling it from the App Store but shouldn’t there be a restore option? I guess that might fail if the app was removed entirely. And of course – no subscriptions.

• New audio unit should be out tomorrow. I've also added MIDI thru, made the "preview voicing" feature send MIDI to any connected audio units rather than using the built-in soundfont, made some iPad UI improvements, and enabled scrolling in the chord pad view.

• @TonalityApp said:

New audio unit should be out tomorrow. I've also added MIDI thru, made the "preview voicing" feature send MIDI to any connected audio units rather than using the built-in soundfont, made some iPad UI improvements, and enabled scrolling in the chord pad view.

Excellent updates and very useful

• @[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

New audio unit should be out tomorrow. I've also added MIDI thru, made the "preview voicing" feature send MIDI to any connected audio units rather than using the built-in soundfont, made some iPad UI improvements, and enabled scrolling in the chord pad view.

@TonalityApp Great update love the grand staff AU, very handy. Would love to see a way of recording into the sheet music AU and then playing back from it, would that be possible?

• @Jumpercollins said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

@TonalityApp Great update love the grand staff AU, very handy.

Would love to see a way of recording into the sheet music AU and then playing back from it ie controlling another AU synth would that be possible?

Lots of possibilities with this one maybe, use Presonus Notion to write a small composition then open in Grand Staff AU ?

• @Jumpercollins hey there, not sure if you have the app yet? have you had a chance to try it in AUM? I cant see the grand staff on my ipad but im on the ios beta so it could be that 🤔
    Im sort of regretting moving to the beta now, there are a few apps not working actually.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    @Jumpercollins hey there, not sure if you have the app yet? have you had a chance to try it in AUM? I cant see the grand staff on my ipad but im on the ios beta so it could be that 🤔
    Im sort of regretting moving to the beta now, there are a few apps not working actually.

@[Deleted User] All good here it was at the bottom of my midi AU list after updating.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    @Jumpercollins hey there, not sure if you have the app yet? have you had a chance to try it in AUM? I cant see the grand staff on my ipad but im on the ios beta so it could be that 🤔

@[Deleted User] All good here it was at the bottom of my midi AU list after updating.

Must be the ios beta and the text, its blank on mine. Curses 🤬

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

Would love to see a way of recording into the sheet music AU and then playing back from it ie controlling another AU synth would that be possible?

Lots of possibilities with this one maybe, use Presonus Notion to write a small composition then open in Grand Staff AU ?

How would you want it to record? As a midi file or music xml or something? What does Notion export as?

• @TonalityApp said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@TonalityApp said:

How would you want it to record? As a midi file or music xml or something? What does Notion export as?

Hi @TonalityApp I say record as a midi file for now, just record would be a great addition.

However combined with Notion which has “open in” I believe the 2 apps could work great.

Notion sends out the following file formats.

• Notion or Music XML support would be unique. I'm terrible at reading music, so this would be great learning tool.

• .> @nondes said:

Notion or Music XML support would be unique.

+1, and MIDI is imperative ;)