Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

1st World Problem: Two-many iPads

Santa gave me an iPad Air for Christmas, so now I have two. I still love my old iPad Mini, and don't want to part with it, but I need to justify keeping it...
Can I use the Mini to extend the capabilities of the Air?
What apps/hardware/cables do I need to get the most from these two devices working together?

Comments

• I'm running MidiBus (primarily) on my old iPad because those pesky promiscuous Apps defeat the ability to use filters etc. So, iPad 1 is MIDI Central, iPad Air is Synth City. The only direct USB MIDI controller I have on the Air now is nanKONTROL2, for HUI control of Auria.

• Two iPads... better than one!

My setup is like dwarman's - iPad1 for MIDI, iPad4 for Synths. I feed it into my computer so I have two wired connections (Alesis IO dock & iConnectMIDI2+, which I highly recommend). I'm waiting on the iRig Mix in the mail, but that seems like it can feed audio from one iPad (through the voice/guitar slot) through the second iDevice so I could have a synth open on one and the app affecting the audio signal on the other.

If you sometimes incorporate a computer, the other way to use two iPads is with one as a DAW remote (while the other is MIDI/Audio). I've been loving Touchable for Ableton - it's almost worth getting a cheap $100 iPad1 to have as a dedicated controller.

• Helpful advice. Glad I asked. I'm keeping the Mini!