Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good Electric Jazz Guitar on iOS?

I thought I had one... iFretless, no, PureSynth, no, BeatHawk, no, GroShred, hell no! Then where?

Comments

• edited June 2019

The jazz guitar from Roli is the best I’ve ever heard. Can’t remember if it is in Noise or Equator (desktop) though.

• @marmakin, would like to know which inapp if in Noise.

• There’s not really any great jazz guitars iOS. SampleTank has some ok stuff. Bs-16i you can load any soundfont you find on the web.

• Also - sound fonts on the web can be used in Thumb Jamb as well and there are several decent ones out there.

• You could rent me.
    Kidding🤣🤣.

• @jasonpeter said: Also - sound fonts on the web can be used in Thumb Jamb as well and there are several decent ones out there.

For real? Can you explain how to do this?

I’ve tried importing them into the area where you can create an instrument but that doesn’t seem to work.

• what about Roland sound canvas, I don't have it but thought I heard a reasonable jazz guit sound from it a while back?

• Name a jazz guitarist you would like to emulate?

There’s a huge range of tones from Wes to Barney to Joe to Pat.

I find that rolling off the highs on guitar makes it sound more like Barney or Joe Pass. Try that SF-1 Stereo Filter on some GeoShred guitar. You be amazed how tone changes help sound more like a Gibson Semi-hollow body with lots of bass smoothness.

• @McD said:
    Name a jazz guitarist you would like to emulate?

There’s a huge range of tones from Wes to Barney to Joe to Pat.

I find that rolling off the highs on guitar makes it sound more like Barney or Joe Pass. Try that SF-1 Stereo Filter on some GeoShred guitar. You be amazed how tone changes help sound more like a Gibson Semi-hollow body with lots of bass smoothness.

Then for Wes you use a MIDI filter to play perfect octaves by adding one below. Duplicate the midi track and drop one an octave works to create that sound. Getting that thumb sound requires the filtering trick.

I hope you solve this... i’d like to hear you simulate these sounds with your musical imagination.

• My mistake on the sound fonts in Thumb Jam - I thought that was the case but doesn’t look like it.

• I tried the filtering approach and it still doesn't sound like a plucked jazz guitar.

It needs a great sample or a model. There's probably not enough of a market for anyone to care and Jazz Guitar is like synthesizer... you know one when hear it but it's so subjective for
    each of us.

I'll keep trying... SynthMaster One Player has a "GT Jazz Guitar MK". Load it up and try some EQ tweaking to see if it passes your personal litmus test.

• @McD, your musical knowledge is deep. I wish I could mind meld with you. Then I wouldn’t be so scared at night!

• edited June 2019

Pure Synth has two guitar presets that, when EQ'd and maybe mixed together, should offer you quite a usable choice of Jazz and Fusion guitar sounds:
    70's Clean Open
    Jazz Guitar
    Also make sure you're trying Cubasis' AmpSim effect on it, turn "Drive" down completely and play with its presets and treble settings. If you still hear distortion, you'll have to reduce the audio level coming from Pure Synth.
    Here's an example EQ setting to give the rather dull-sounding "Jazz Guitar" preset more character:

• @jasonpeter said:
    Also - sound fonts on the web can be used in Thumb Jamb as well and there are several decent ones out there.

Would you mind listing a few of these "decent" sound fonts?
    The only usable one I've found is one sampled from a Yamaha VL-1 :D

• Thanks @rs2000. I will fool with that,

• @LinearLineman said:
    @marmakin, would like to know which inapp if in Noise.

It was in Equator, of course. Sorry to get your hopes up. For what it’s worth, if you happen to have a Seaboard and a desktop, Equator is a true no brainer. Really brings out the potential in the Seaboard.

• Thanks @marmakin, for now I am strictly iOS.

• @flo26 has put up a demo using iFretless Guitar and it's pretty convincing. He's
    really good at adding the bends that make it sound spot on and hide the flat synth-y
    sound that most of us get with a basic MIDI keyboard technique.

I wonder if a MIDI Script could be created to add subtle bends into random "Note On" events
    and bends out of a few "Note Off" events to make simulate mastery of these GUI keyboard
    interfaces from a MIDI Keyboard without needing to use the left hand which is typically busy
    playing a baseline line or chords for many pianists like @LinearLineman.

Any scripters interested in the challenge? @_Ki?