Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to improve guitar sound with a few ios apps.No comments😉.

2»

Comments

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

@McD said:
    FYI: Fiddlicator presets show the original intent:

4 Violin IR's
    1 Viola

A niche market for the out of the box experience. I do have a violin so I should
    check out what it does for a mic'ed violin or try a clamp on pickup.

It does require a $5 unlock IAP to use any IR longer than 16KB. Max limit 64KB.
    Is that large? I wonder what the limits in iConvolver are.

Where did you find the information about the IR length limit? I currently have a couple loaded in that are 50kb and I don't own the IAP.

in the settings, when I try to go past "Maximum Filter Length" of 16384 a pop-up appears that says:
    "Fiddlicator Plus extension allows you to use Its up to 64K long. It's also need for MIDI input.

Version 0.9.10

I was shocked to realize IR's are so short to be honest. I need to figure out what the max is for iConvolver.
    Hopefully, a good AUv3 product drops soon. Altispace, probably, since that dev has SynthScaper LE working as an AU.

I think filter length is different from IR file size. I don't have the IAP and have two IRs loaded in yne 25-60 kb range. Cabinet IRs are small because they are a fraction of a second long unlike IRs used for reverb.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I think filter length is different from IR file size. I don't have the IAP and have two IRs loaded in yne 25-60 kb range. Cabinet IRs are small because they are a fraction of a second long unlike IRs used for reverb.

Thanks. I'll try the "Copy to" approach with some IR's and see how it sounds.

Do you have any thoughts on how hard it would be to make a good IR app in an AUv3 format?
    Is it hard or is the market to small to attract a develop to put one out. I'm curious why the Cabinet Emulation in Stark was so poorly implemented too.

When it works it's pretty impressive. I can see why some coveted hardware Amp Sim's tout the ability to load IR's. Until I heard a good one I didn't know what I was missing in a convincing tone. Just another benefit of being active on this forum.

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks. I'll try the "Copy to" approach with some IR's and see how it sounds.

Do you have any thoughts on how hard it would be to make a good IR app in an AUv3 format?
    Is it hard or is the market to small to attract a develop to put one out. I'm curious why the Cabinet Emulation in Stark was so poorly implemented too.

When it works it's pretty impressive. I can see why some coveted hardware Amp Sim's tout the ability to load IR's. Until I heard a good one I didn't know what I was missing in a convincing tone. Just another benefit of being active on this forum.

I don't think there is any technical obstacle to creating a convolution AU. A number of existing AUs have convolution reverbs embedded in them. The big challenge is computational efficiency. They chew up CPU.

Stark's poor cabinet emulation is a mystery. It isn't solely because it isn't IR based. The other amp sims' algorithmic cabinets are so much better. It is surprising to me because they've done some really nice work.

Didn't you say elsewhere that you are beta-testing an AU convolution app?

• @McD said:

I'm curious why the Cabinet Emulation in Stark was so poorly implemented too.

I didn't pay too much attention to IR's until Stark was released and all the "attention" it received on this forum.. When @flo26 did his Stark demo, that's when I really understood. Then I purchased iConvolver and loaded in a bunch of IR's and experimented + listened carefully.. WOW! what a world of difference it can make. BUT it takes a lot of listening + playing.. Everything in the chain before the IR can drastically change HOW that IR sounds at THAT moment.. change guitars OR just switch the pickup selector etc... and a different IR might suddenly sound better than the last one.. obviously an endless pursuit.. dog chasing tail scenario. :D

Most guitarists are very aware of everything in the signal chain and can become nearly superstitious if any ONE thing has changed. Down to the most minute details - type of batteries in pedals, type of pick used, string brands + age + gauges.. on & on. So I suppose once you have ALL that figured out.. the cabinet IR is kind of the last link in the chain.. Important? Oh, yeah.. Easy to change? Yes.. Check out this set of OwnHammer IRs and then you'll see the amount of detail involved.. It's a bit crazy..

So, thanks to Stark and @flo26 & @McD for opening my ears to a better guitar tone. 👍

• @royor said:

@McD said:

I'm curious why the Cabinet Emulation in Stark was so poorly implemented too.

I didn't pay too much attention to IR's until Stark was released and all the "attention" it received on this forum.. When @flo26 did his Stark demo, that's when I really understood. Then I purchased iConvolver and loaded in a bunch of IR's and experimented + listened carefully.. WOW! what a world of difference it can make. BUT it takes a lot of listening + playing.. Everything in the chain before the IR can drastically change HOW that IR sounds at THAT moment.. change guitars OR just switch the pickup selector etc... and a different IR might suddenly sound better than the last one.. obviously an endless pursuit.. dog chasing tail scenario. :D

Most guitarists are very aware of everything in the signal chain and can become nearly superstitious if any ONE thing has changed. Down to the most minute details - type of batteries in pedals, type of pick used, string brands + age + gauges.. on & on. So I suppose once you have ALL that figured out.. the cabinet IR is kind of the last link in the chain.. Important? Oh, yeah.. Easy to change? Yes.. Check out this set of OwnHammer IRs and then you'll see the amount of detail involved.. It's a bit crazy..

So, thanks to Stark and @flo26 & @McD for opening my ears to a better guitar tone. 👍

Glad it has helped you to improve your guitar sound.
    Have fun!
    Flo

• I hope you test some of the new Fab Filter tools in your guitar set-ups and comment if something really jumps out at you. The Reverb, EQ (2 or 3) and the Multi-Band Compressor
    really allow extreme control of apply FX to the overall spectrum.

• edited June 2019

I don’t use lots of fx with guitar sound.
    I don’t like this anymore as i used to.
    A little bit of reverb or delay and i’m done.

• @flo26 said:
    I don’t use lots of fx with guitar sound.

There's magic in a plucked string when controlled by a master craftsman.
    Fingers, picks, string gauge, solid body, hollow body, alternate tunings, Pick-up types.

If I do the work, I'll reward myself with some of the hardware investments you've made.
    Until then... practice, practice, practice. So, much to learn.