Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to improve guitar sound with a few ios apps.No commentsšŸ˜‰.

Ā«1

Comments

• Please consider adding some kind of commentary even if itā€™s written. I would not assume that people know what you are showing or trying to show

• I knowšŸ˜‰.
    You're right.
    I'm going to have to learn how to do this.
    One more thing to add to the listšŸ˜‰.
    Thanks!

• Nice sounds and playing.

What are the plugins after the magic eye and reamp?

Some subtitles hinting at what is being demonstrated would be helpful and labels or text about the setup would be helpful at the beginning.

• Wow!!!! That was awesome! I always love you tone man! You are truly the Tone Guru!!!!šŸ˜®

Could you list what effects where using ? I know Reamp was the main one but the others I couldnā€™t tell.

Thanks keep rocking on bro!šŸŽ¼šŸŽø

@flo26 said:

• You know his tone you were getting reminded me of the tone I was getting with my old sadly gone and forgotten Flying Haggis guitar app! Vintage tone man! Sweet and tasty!

• Audio interface > Magic Deatheye>Reamp>iconvolver>Adverb. The guitar signal is compressed the REamp app is acting as the amp sim. Iconvolver is loaded with a cabinet impulse response then reverb to finish off the chain.

• @hacked_to_pieces said:
    Audio interface > Magic Deatheye>Reamp>iconvolver>Adverb. The guitar signal is compressed the REamp app is acting as the amp sim. Iconvolver is loaded with a cabinet impulse response then reverb to finish off the chain.

NošŸ˜‰.
    I should have specified the signal chain.
    My guitar amp (rivera s120) is plugged in the apogee via a rivera power attenuator,
    Then through the comp,reamp,ir cab and then adverb 2.
    Thanks guys.

• @flo26 said:

@hacked_to_pieces said:
    Audio interface > Magic Deatheye>Reamp>iconvolver>Adverb. The guitar signal is compressed the REamp app is acting as the amp sim. Iconvolver is loaded with a cabinet impulse response then reverb to finish off the chain.

NošŸ˜‰.
    I should have specified the signal chain.
    My guitar amp (rivera s120) is plugged in the apogee via a rivera power attenuator,
    Then through the comp,reamp,ir cab and then adverb 2.
    Thanks guys.

So, that is iConvolver after ReAmp?

What cab IR are you using in it?

Question: have you compared iConvolver and Fiddlicator? I am curious as to whether the results are the same -- I've been told that they are but am not sure how reliable that information is (and can't remember who told me that).

• edited June 2019

I use ownhammer gnr ir cabs.
    Ifiddlicator doesn't accept ownhammer files so i can't help you on that point.
    Sorry.

• @flo26 said:
    Sorry.

Is there a particular GNR cab you recommend?

Did you try Fiddliator with them, and it didn't work? The person that told me about Fiddlicator was using Ownhammer IR cabs.

• @espiegel123 said:

@flo26 said:
    Sorry.

Did you try Fiddliator with them, and it didn't work? The person that told me about Fiddlicator was using Ownhammer IR cabs.

I have had no success with fiddlicator.Iā€™ll try again as iconvolver can be very intensive on the cpu.
    I use different ir cabs depending on my needs.
    No specific oneā€™

• @flo26 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@flo26 said:
    Sorry.

I have had no success with fiddlicator.Iā€™ll try again as iconvolver can be very intensive on the cpu.
    I use different ir cabs depending on my needs.
    No specific oneā€™

Out of curiosity, how large are the IR files?

If Ownhammer supplies them as .wav files they should load in Fiddlicator (which was recommended to me by someone using Ownhammer cabs but I don't have any so I can't verify). I have not used Fiddlicator very much as I have been mostly not using my guitars with iOS lately.

• Hereā€™s my short recipe: insert Magic before amp sim.

Iā€™m using Overloud THM in Auria. Quite simply put, Magic definitely improves the sound. Guitar tone sounds less veiled and has ā€œbounceā€ or something.

(By the way, I am also finding Blamsoftā€™s Tube screamer to be a bit nicer than the one built into Overloud THM)

• @audiobussy said:
    (By the way, I am also finding Blamsoftā€™s Tube screamer to be a bit nicer than the one built into Overloud THM)

For fans of SRV and Carlos Santana I recommend 2 Blamsoft DC-9's in series before a guitar chain like this one. You can dial in close to an infinite low volume sustain. It probably kills the richness @flo26 would want in his signal but for someone like me it makes simple scale solos sing like a violin. Every beginner should get a chance to play their lessons through something that exposes the reality of high volume lead playing in a pair of headphones for the cost of an iPhone and $100 in apps collected one gift card at a time. You will feel like a Guitar God just playing whole note leads and some slow bends. Of course, a stadium delay will also help create the right "room" or outdoor PA effect Hendrix leveraged for a drug crazed crowd at worship services.

• @audiobussy said:
    Hereā€™s my short recipe: insert Magic before amp sim.

Iā€™m using Overloud THM in Auria. Quite simply put, Magic definitely improves the sound. Guitar tone sounds less veiled and has ā€œbounceā€ or something.

I took a risk on price with Magic Death Eye after reading about it, and yeah, it is fantastic on guitar. Seeing as that's my main instrument, it was well worth the cost.

• I have tremendous respect for DDMF and have for years. When they announced this model based on a piece of $7000 gear, I knew it would deliver.

Love it on voice too and obviously bass.

• edited June 2019

I actually had a lot of guitar success running direct in > Magic Death Eye > (effects unit chain) > ReAmp > Stark (amp only, no effects engaged) > Kleverb. Yet to try IR response instead of Stark's cabinet, but ReAmp before it with it's multi-band EQ and drive settings has definitely made Stark usable and more convincing.

• And just in case people donā€™t know, your audio interface makes all the difference in the world. My current Focusrite sounds WAY better than my old M-Audio. And Floā€™s Apogee is even nicer.

Of course, even more importantly, Flo plays beautifully and his guitar delivers.

• @flo26 said:

It's really great that I can see the knob settings. A quick display of all the App settings in the chain at start-up is a wise move for the YouTube Guitar Student masses. Annotating your videos with subtitles or text cards will help get you a lot more views.

I notice you have re-branded your YouTube Channel with your full name. Subscribe Forum faithful! It's up from 3 to 16 today:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDtM5Bzx9w6IqYFiJj8t1Pw

You're making me buy that Magic Death Eye out of respect for the developer's skill. I'm sure at $25 he will need anyone with the need for some Tube quality to pitch in and support the work.
    This app represent DDMF as moving from the under $10 club to the %25 of desktop pricing model that Fab Filter is pioneering for IOS developers to consider.

I can hear the quality as an FX app and I'm sure I'll love it for a lot of sonic sweetening uses too like strings and big ambient textures and to feed shimmer reverbs a lot of spectral complexity.

Sold.

• Wow. iConvolver is amazing. I was waiting for AUv3 to buy something but the basic iConvolver using the "EQ/Fat Bass" preset is worth every penny.

Off to download and start with the Free OwnHammer cabs.

Magic Death Eye adds a crisp sparkle that none of the other apps do.

Using the Parametric Equalizer is also a nice tool.

I'd love to see the @flo26 Adverb settings. It doesn't have enough presets suitable for guitar.
    I tweaked the "good start" preset and got something pretty nice then adjusting size and reverb alone seems to be good.

• @espiegel123 said:

@flo26 said:
    Sorry.

Fiddlicator can load them. :)

• iConvolver has issues with other music apps making it stop playing in the background. It needs to get loaded last for what I'm doing. I got excited and started collection free IR files and loading them into iConvolver and now Altispace (for better IAA stability in AUM). I haven't really compared Altispace and iConvolver head to head yet but I recall iConvolver can play really long IR's past some Altispace limit like
    8 seconds I think.

For what I'm practicing right now I seem to covet Bass Cabinets but maybe that's a noobs mistake getting seduced by anything with more bass. It fun to hear those low E string notes really fill my headphones with
    a popping bass tone. Almost makes me want to try mastering Travis Picking (again). Chet Atkins thumb picks. I never actually do the work but it could happen with these Bass IR waves helping make it full.

We have to see someone fit this IR DSP code into an AUv3 app (successfully) soon. I hope it sounds as good as these 2 IAA's and I really hope it's one of these IAA's. Altispace is a lot prettier and has a sexy spectrum analyzer display by the way. Lot's of really good presets. I don't think an AUM project will support running them both since I think IR FX need a lot of resources to work well. I should try it.

• @McD said:
    iConvolver has issues with other music apps making it stop playing in the background. It needs to get loaded last for what I'm doing. I got excited and started collection free IR files and loading them into iConvolver and now Altispace (for better IAA stability in AUM). I haven't really compared Altispace and iConvolver head to head yet but I recall iConvolver can play really long IR's past some Altispace limit like
    8 seconds I think.

For what I'm practicing right now I seem to covet Bass Cabinets but maybe that's a noobs mistake getting seduced by anything with more bass. It fun to hear those low E string notes really fill my headphones with
    a popping bass tone. Almost makes me want to try mastering Travis Picking (again). Chet Atkins thumb picks. I never actually do the work but it could happen with these Bass IR waves helping make it full.

We have to see someone fit this IR DSP code into an AUv3 app (successfully) soon. I hope it sounds as good as these 2 IAA's and I really hope it's one of these IAA's. Altispace is a lot prettier and has a sexy spectrum analyzer display by the way. Lot's of really good presets. I don't think an AUM project will support running them both since I think IR FX need a lot of resources to work well. I should try it.

Have you tried Fiddlicator?

• No on the Fiddlicator. How does it compare for stability, GUI and ease of IR import. I was holding out on buying any more IAA's but this capability in a channel strip is really beneficial for live guitar processing.
    I can see why the real guitarists didn't warm up to Stark... they didn't come close with their "Cabinet Emulator". Something makes me think the DSP code might need special attention and not just be
    re-usable code in Juce, AudioKit or the Apple Audio routines. So, there are a few good IAA IR's but not
    a large buying audience so the AUv3's are slow to ship. My money's on Altispace sometime this decade
    shipping as an AUv3. Maybe @VirSyn will ship one. Hopefully a good one.

For iConvolver and Altispace accept the "Copy to" file import approach (and iTunes sharing too I think) after clicking on the IR wave file in the Files App.

Altispace has a "conversion step" and iConvolver just starts using the uploaded wave IR.

• My guitar tone has improved dramatically for about $40. There's just these issues I need to address with my hands doing the right things at the right time. Today I tried 2 Magic Death Eye's in series for that infinite sustain sound... works great. Dr. DDMF writes really optimized code so I can emulate $14,000 in
    hardware for $25. Life with IOS is so good. It helps me stop thinking about that Rivera S120 Amp, Rivera Power Attenuator and Apogee Audio Interface. I'll get those "after" I fix my hands so they can play all the right notes at the right time. Right? The real investment is our time. You'll never get it back so use it wisely.

• @McD : fiddlicator is free. Importing IRS simple. Seems stable.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @McD : fiddlicator is free. Importing IRS simple. Seems stable.

Oh. Didn't catch that little detail. Definitely worth a test drive just to have something to write about, huh?

• FYI: Fiddlicator presets show the original intent:

4 Violin IR's
    1 Viola

A niche market for the out of the box experience. I do have a violin so I should
    check out what it does for a mic'ed violin or try a clamp on pickup.

It does require a $5 unlock IAP to use any IR longer than 16KB. Max limit 64KB.
    Is that large? I wonder what the limits in iConvolver are.

• @McD said:
    FYI: Fiddlicator presets show the original intent:

4 Violin IR's
    1 Viola

A niche market for the out of the box experience. I do have a violin so I should

Where did you find the information about the IR length limit? I currently have a couple loaded in that are 50kb and I don't own the IAP.

• @espiegel123 said:

@McD said:
    FYI: Fiddlicator presets show the original intent:

4 Violin IR's
    1 Viola

Where did you find the information about the IR length limit? I currently have a couple loaded in that are 50kb and I don't own the IAP.

in the settings, when I try to go past "Maximum Filter Length" of 16384 a pop-up appears that says:
    "Fiddlicator Plus extension allows you to use Its up to 64K long. It's also need for MIDI input.

Version 0.9.10

I was shocked to realize IR's are so short to be honest. I need to figure out what the max is for iConvolver.
    Hopefully, a good AUv3 product drops soon. Altispace, probably, since that dev has SynthScaper LE working as an AU.