Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

First Keyboard for a 14-Year-Old

edited June 2019 in Other

Suggestions?
My daughter wants a keyboard. She's very much in the Sara Bareilles mode (at the moment, anyway). I put it to the hive mind.
What's the best value for a first keyboard?
Requirements:
• 61 keys
• touch sensitive
• decent built-in sounds
• speaker? (probably have an extra amp, but space is at a premium in the bedrooms of Brooklyn teenagers)
• midi
• line out

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • She's a great songwriter in that charty pop vein. You would never listen to her if you controlled the aux cord yourself, but...

This looks pretty great, thank you.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CAsio CT-x700 $175. Great sound engine, arranger style. Highly recommend looking at.

• Investigated more. Splits and layers on the Roland? Not sure. Yes, I believe, in the half the price Casio.
    You might want to go 88 with graded action. Here's a good vid. He suggests used and I agree.

• Casio are killing cheap good digital keyboards at the moment.

• Get the best for the most you can afford and then another couple of hundred.

• I got the Casio CT-X700 for $175 too. It has a USB port and mini-jack "audio in" and a nice flat space for
    iPhone or iPad and makes a basic controller for IOS apps. Can run on AA batteries for mobility. Headphones for practice without bothering anyone.

Watch the PianoManChuck videos for a survey of this market. Jeremy See prefers the Yamaha PSR-363
    and his reasoning may resonate with you.

It's fun to make backing tracks for the basic piano literature so the student can learn to play with other
    instruments at a fixed tempo. Using the arranger features or connecting an IOS device can make this
    a good "group" experience.

All the Casio keyboard products are exceptional values in their price point.

You'll need to add a sustain pedal at some point. The M-Audio SP-2 for $20 works great.

It records your playing and has some music instruction features. Casio pulled out all the stops for an entry level keyboard.

There are so many features that the UI and manual are complex.

• Guys, thank you.
    I just went down a rabbit hole on YouTube looking for PianoManChuck and Jeremy See.
    Saw the Jeremy See video about how the Casio KILLS the Yamaha, and was ready to buy it. Then I see the video where, no, Jeremy's returning the Casio after all and sticking with the Yamaha.
    And then, naturally, he has a video of where he's also returning the Yamaha!
    Jeremy, I think the problem is you.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    A piano.

We have one. It's not in her room. Also, no midi.

• I was about 14 when I started to teach myself keys (already been playing drums + guitar by that age), and this was my first keyboard, a Wurlitzer Model 140B.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    A piano.

We have one. It's not in her room. Also, no midi.

Awesome.

• edited June 2019

The Casio Privia series is comparatively inexpensive with solid build and keyboard action. Primarily a piano, however. If you really want to drive yourself crazy go to PianoWorld.com and do a search. Few iOS creatures there, but plenty of dig keyboard enthusiasts. If you want to spend under $200 go for the CT-x700 as something new. If your daughter gets obsessed you can sell it and move up.

@Lady_App_titude, that is so sweet! Any pics of you playing that at fourteen?
    Would so love to see that to feed my secret crush!

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I was about 14 when I started to teach myself keys (already been playing drums + guitar by that age), and this was my first keyboard, a Wurlitzer Model 140B.

That's fantastic. Were you in Young Marble Giants, by any chance?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    I was about 14 when I started to teach myself keys (already been playing drums + guitar by that age), and this was my first keyboard, a Wurlitzer Model 140B.

That's fantastic. Were you in Young Marble Giants, by any chance?

Very, very funny. But, really, as though she's going to fess to that here.... :)

• Ha!
    I live in mortal fear that you all will discover I'm Brian Eno.

• We had one of those and I used it for a band or 2.

• The Casio supports 2 layers and does the splits too. You need to get the sustain pedal polarity right. It’s anti-Yamaha. The M-Audio has the required polarity switch.

• Whatever it is make sure you can use it when she gets bored of it 🤪

• @echoopera said:
    Whatever it is make sure you can use it when she gets bored of it 🤪

Shocked SHOCKED that you would suggest I would get my daughter a keyboard that would easily fit my studio desk. SHOCKED, I say.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@echoopera said:

Shocked SHOCKED that you would suggest I would get my daughter a keyboard that would easily fit my studio desk. SHOCKED, I say.

• edited June 2019

@ExAsperis99

@LinearLineman said:
    CAsio CT-x700 $175. Great sound engine, arranger style. Highly recommend looking at.

I would second that. Casio keyboard have seriously upped their game in the last 10 years. Serious value for the money.

The following keyboard series as lighted keys and that works with a iOS app. We’re you can download popular song notation. Could be interesting.

The keyboards
    https://www.casio.com/products/electronic-musical-instruments/lighted-keys

The app
    https://web.casio.com/app/en/play/top.html

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Get the best for the most you can afford and then another couple of hundred.

This.
    Find a way to fit a nicely weighted 88-key board into the room. Anything less is false economy.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@echoopera said:

We that changes things: you'll want CC knobs, sliders, pitch wheel and a mod wheel for sure. It makes the
    instrument more friendly to have knobs to turn.

Nord Electro's make a nice 61-key "student instruments" and they are red. Lot's of IAP's for these Nords when someone gets bored with the sounds.

Does she like red? Red is cool, huh?

The Studio Logic controllers ... I mean keyboards are also good to insure your hands fall on something close to Carnegy Hall quality "ivories".

• edited June 2019

@McD said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@echoopera said:

We that changes things: you'll want CC knobs, sliders, pitch wheel and a mod wheel for sure. It makes the
    instrument more friendly to have knobs to turn.

Nord Electro's make a nice 61-key "student instruments" and they are red. Lot's of IAP's for these Nords when someone gets bored with the sounds.

Does she like red? Red is cool, huh?

The Studio Logic controllers ... I mean keyboards are also good to insure your hands fall on something close to Carnegy Hall quality "ivories".

Nord Electro 😳😳 Great keyboard don’t get me wrong but they are super expensive. 2000$ plus is not exactly beginner level.

You might have a different tax bracket than me. 😂😂

• Well you want her to be happy at first and then abandon the keyboard to your studio use. A used Electro will still be Red.

• edited June 2019

What if she likes it and keeps it to play once a month.Expensive bet your taking.

• Ha!
    The fact is she’s a remarkable singer. Beautiful husky voice, and she writes songs nonstop. (I cannot hold a tune at all; in fact when I was making records, we had to pretend I was singing in a track or I wouldn’t qualify for guild insurance!)
    If anyone deserves this, it’s her.
    I got the Yamaha, by the way. Thanks for all your advice, friends.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Ha!
    I live in mortal fear that you all will discover I'm Brian Eno.

If that's the case, then DX7 and a shimmer delay unit.