Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TouchOSC or Lemur?

What do you prefer?

Comments

• I have touchable pro haha love it.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

Neither.
    TB Midi Stuff (abandonware but works great.) or
    Midi Designer Pro (ugly as snot but works almost as well and is still being developed.)

• edited June 2019

Lemur by far. It's the most flexible, the most powerful (especially the sequencer objects and the UI elements that can be changed programmatically to some extent) but also the most time-consuming to develop templates on. So I would only recommend it to either coding nerds or to people that are covered by the Lemur user library.

Second choice would be TBMidiStuff - for its power and the beautiful UI options. It's the only one I know that allows for photorealistic UIs.
    A new version has been announced for a long while but will it become reality??

• @rs2000 said:
    Lemur by far. It's the most flexible, the most powerful (especially the sequencer objects and the UI elements that can be changed programmatically to some extent) but also the most time-consuming to develop templates on. So I would only recommend it to either coding nerds or to people that are covered by the Lemur user library.

Second choice would be TBMidiStuff - for its power and the beautiful UI options. It's the only one I know that allows for photorealistic UIs.

For me Lemur is a no-go because I don’t want to run to a PC every time I want to build a surface. Same for TouchOSC. But I guess if you’re wed to a desktop regularly then it’s OK.

I seriously doubt the next version of TB will ever materialize.

So MDP is the only viable choice for me. But that’s just my outlook.

• @wim said:

@rs2000 said:

For me Lemur is a no-go because I don’t want to run to a PC every time I want to build a surface. Same for TouchOSC. But I guess if you’re wed to a desktop regularly then it’s OK.

??
    I do everything in the in-app editor on the iPad.

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

??

Yeah, desktop is less fiddly, but everything can be done on the iPad

• edited June 2019

Midi Designer has the Stream Byter Plugin IAP and Lemur is very powerful also, who knows in the future we may get to host Midi AUs in them too or they may even be available as AUs.

• Lemur, more templates for hardware and other synths. Straightforward to create templates. I actually didn't realize you can create them on the iPad. Desktop app is still pretty fiddly though in my opinion and barely supported.

• @BroCoast said:
    What do you prefer?

Have them all.

Don't use.

MIDI DESIGNER FTW

• TouchOSC is not expensive, and good for simple layouts. So if you only need a couple of faders and some buttons, it's a good solution. The editor however I find a bit difficult to use, and you really need a computer for the editor.

Lemur is the most sophisticated controller app, but also the most complicated. The editor I find rather elegant, you can work very fast if you know how. You can create some kind of 'module' library on your own, easily accessible from the sidebar. Especially after you learn to use variable parameters this feature is saving time a lot. And if you don't like the typical bright-coloured Lemur look you can adopt a pure grey-scaled style, as perfected by Lemur artist Antonio Bianca. And you can even go further for a realistic looking UI, with brushed aluminium background, reflection and shadows, etc., but this needs knowledge in HTML5.

The other controller apps I don't know well, from what I can see they are somewhat in between in functionality, and even better in UI design.

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

??

Humm. Been a long time since I used it. I stand corrected. B)

• Thanks for the replies. I've got Lemur but never use it that much.

I like how TouchOSC looks and really just need 8 sliders that you can tap to set the level rather than dragging.

MIDI Designer gets great reviews but man that is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

• @BroCoast said:
    the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

LOL, its built for speed. But yeah... takes some significant tweaking to make a layout that looks decent on MIDI Designer.

• @Hmtx said:

@BroCoast said:

LOL, its built for speed. But yeah... takes some significant tweaking to make a layout that looks decent on MIDI Designer.

The trick is to use the classic/legacy delay mode and not use the ugly “glow”
    Also, avoid the ugly backgrounds.

I made this for the options on the 0coast...

It would be awesome if Dan would just do a “minimal” look. Just lines, circles, dots, etc.

Also so kind of scripting would be cool too...

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@Hmtx said:

@BroCoast said:

It would be awesome if Dan would just do a “minimal” look. Just lines, circles, dots, etc.

Oh shit that looks amazing! Would you mind sharing that?

• edited June 2019

Midi Designer 2 needs an intervention… One of the ugliest major players on iOS

• edited June 2019

Just our luck that this is the best tool to create custom UIs

• @SevenSystems @Brambos etc Talk about low lying fruit...

• @MonkeyDrummer You did a great job with the tools given

• @BroCoast said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@Hmtx said:

@BroCoast said:

It is shared on MDP community layouts and there’s a post here somewhere where I demo it... on phone now sompain in the ass to dig up links... search with the googlesssssssssss

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@Hmtx said:

@BroCoast said:

It also be awesome if one could select multiple objects at once so that you can move groups of objects. I love MDP's features but find editing layouts really painful since you have to drag each individual widget one-at-a-time which is annoying when you realize that you need to add one more knob or slider in the middle of a layout -- or need to move a cluster of u.i. elements.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@BroCoast said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@Hmtx said:

@BroCoast said:

It is shared on MDP community layouts and there’s a post here somewhere where I demo it... on phone now sompain in the ass to dig up links... search with the

I find it’s pretty awesome for things like mega mixers.

This is part of my EnoTron 4800... 4 source channels into a matrix of 8x8 sends that can send to each other or themselves... Mega...

• @audiobussy said:
    @SevenSystems @Brambos etc Talk about low lying fruit...

Yes I have something like MDP lying around and almost finished, but first, Xequence 2. 🙂

• @SevenSystems said:

@audiobussy said:

Yes I have something like MDP lying around and almost finished, but first, Xequence 2. 🙂

Yes, please. I dig the aesthetics of Xequence. Another option of setting faders is using Xequence Keys AU without the Keys part, works pretty well

• edited June 2019

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@BroCoast said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@Hmtx said:

@BroCoast said:

It is shared on MDP community layouts and there’s a post here somewhere where I demo it... on phone now sompain in the ass to dig up links... search with the googlesssssssssss

Same, that 0 Coast editor looks great! It'll come in handy soon... 😁

• If you just need a bunch of sliders Mozaic would already do the trick :)

• @nondes said:

@SevenSystems said:

@audiobussy said:

Yes, please. I dig the aesthetics of Xequence. Another option of setting faders is using Xequence Keys AU without the Keys part, works pretty well

Yah it has the Xequence asthetics and uses the standard Xequence widgets for the "design area" as well, though I plan to implement skins for those so you're a bit more flexible ;)

• @brambos said:
    If you just need a bunch of sliders Mozaic would already do the trick :)

Is there already just a set of sliders script? Or, are you talking about coding your own?

I looked at all the scripts that come with Mozaic and didn’t see one. Checked the user scripts I’ve downloaded and wim’s midi morph is the only one I saw with some sliders.

It’d be cool to have a script that was simply a set of sliders, a couple dials, maybe 4 pads that could serve as on/off buttons. Nothing fancy. Just the basic set of controllers that usually come with the little keyboards like the nanoKey Studio.

• edited June 2019

@skiphunt said:

@brambos said:

Is there already just a set of sliders script? Or, are you talking about coding your own?

I looked at all the scripts that come with Mozaic and didn’t see one. Checked the user scripts I’ve downloaded and wim’s midi morph is the only one I saw with some sliders.

Layout 3 is the slider layout. Just use this script to make them all send out CC codes:

@OnLoad
      ShowLayout 3
    @End

@OnKnobChange
      value = GetKnobValue LastKnob
      cc = LastKnob + 10
      SendMIDICC 0, cc, value
    @End

• edited June 2019

@brambos said:

@skiphunt said:

@brambos said:

Layout 3 is the slider layout. Just use this script to make them all send out CC codes:

@OnLoad
      ShowLayout 3
    @End

@OnKnobChange
      value = GetKnobValue LastKnob
      cc = LastKnob + 10
      SendMIDICC 0, cc, value
    @End

Granted... I only cut/pasted your code uploaded/named & saved... but hey, I just made my first Mozaic script!

I call it “sliders”. ;)

thx :)