Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording external gear mobile. What to buy? Tascam DR, Zoom, audio interface or?

I like to record some live performances with external gear in the wilderness, so I need a mobile solution!

I want to record direct from the OP-Z or Synthstrom Deluge Headphones out or Line out.

Should I buy a mobile recorder like a Tascam DR-22 WL or DR-44WL or a Zoom H?
What about the Line In in these recorders and the Nominal level +4 dBu to get clean recordings? Which models are recommended for especially line in recordings?

Another option can be a little mobile audio interface for IOS to record directly in the iPhone/ iPad. Sadly iOS offers only a mono line in without an audio interface but iPhone/iPad is always with me. Of course I would also love the ability to use also my iPad in these projects . 😊
Any recommendations?

On YouTube there is a guy who record his Deluge sessions with a Korg Kaosspad Mini S2 what is mainly a mobile effect processor but also a sampler/recorder. Can this be an useful alternative?

Most important for me is the mobility (battery powered), small size and weight and of course the audio quality!

What do you use for mobile recording external gear?

Thanks a lot for recommendations! 😊

Comments

• My live setup (still not actually played live to anyone except youtube mind) uses Komplete Audio 6 - which I really like (you can see it in action here ). Runs fine off the iPad battery. I also use an Anker charger batter (their second largest one) to drive things that don't have batteries using one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Qutaway-Voltage-Transformer-Booster-Black/dp/B071X6VYXR/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=usb+12v&qid=1560715374&s=gateway&sr=8-11

• Zoom H1. Simple, efficient, class compliant USB and doubles as a fine standalone stereo recorder.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks a lot for recommendations @pagefall !
    Btw, nice video! 😊👍

When I’m at home I will use my audio interface for recording but for mobile use at a lake or in the forest I really need a solution as small as possible! So the Zoom H1 (thanks for mentioning it @rs2000 ) would be interesting. I had it in my hand one day in, my local music store but it feels quite cheap in build quality. The main reason why I didn’t grab it was was the statements from the store people that this recorder doesn’t have a proper line in. Recordings straight from Deluge could be overdriven, that’s why they recommend to buy a bigger model with a real line in who provides to work with signals with a nominal level 4DBu for clean recordings with no problems. So I’m a little bit confused...

You are right @EyeOhEss , I think Deluge can resample the output so i can record a session straight in the Deluge but OP-Z can not do this. That’s why I’m searching for a small mobile solution that can be always with me when I’m on the road!

Thanks all for your feedback! 😊

• Zoom h5 or h6 if you want line in recordings. The H4n doesn’t have line switches so you need an external pad but the h6 definitely does have pad switches and hardware level controls. I think the h5 does as well (I have the h6). Plus, it doubles as an iOS interface, 6 in and 2 out.

• @chandroji said:
    Thanks a lot for recommendations @pagefall !
    Btw, nice video! 😊👍

When I’m at home I will use my audio interface for recording but for mobile use at a lake or in the forest I really need a solution as small as possible! So the Zoom H1 (thanks for mentioning it @rs2000 ) would be interesting. I had it in my hand one day in, my local music store but it feels quite cheap in build quality. The main reason why I didn’t grab it was was the statements from the store people that this recorder doesn’t have a proper line in. Recordings straight from Deluge could be overdriven, that’s why they recommend to buy a bigger model with a real line in who provides to work with signals with a nominal level 4DBu for clean recordings with no problems. So I’m a little bit confused...

You are right @EyeOhEss , I think Deluge can resample the output so i can record a session straight in the Deluge but OP-Z can not do this. That’s why I’m searching for a small mobile solution that can be always with me when I’m on the road!

Thanks all for your feedback! 😊

I can record whatever you send me from the iPad's headphones output using the H1 Line-in connected to an iPhone if you want. I neither have an OP-Z nor a Deluge but a number of other hardware too :)

• edited June 2019

Thanks @rs2000 !
    As i understand the H1 will works as an audio interface for the IPhone? So I can record directly in the iPhone using the line in in H1? This would be perfect! 😊
    Is the H1 class compliant? I didn’t found this info up to now...

• @chandroji said:
    Thanks @rs2000 !
    As i understand the H1 will works as an audio interface for the IPhone? So I can record directly in the iPhone using the line in in H1? This would be perfect! 😊

Zoom introduced this feature with Firmware 2.0.
    See

• Thanks for your recommendations @mrufino1 !
    But I’m afraid that the H5/6 would be a little bit oversized for my needs. It’s quite a big device isn’t it?
    I just need a proper stereo line in with a small footprint... 😎

• @chandroji said:
    Thanks for your recommendations @mrufino1 !
    But I’m afraid that the H5/6 would be a little bit oversized for my needs. It’s quite a big device isn’t it?

Only 16 bit and cinch input/output but:

I use one of those to record the master output (of everything I'm doing) to my phone.

• @rs2000 said:

@chandroji said:
    Thanks @rs2000 !

See

Looks fine! Thanks a lot for the video @rs2000 ! 👍
    I will check it out. But I’m wondering why I need a power bank because H1 is battery powered?
    Anyway, I think I will visit my shop with my iPhone, camera adapter and OP-Z for a test drive... 😊

• @BroCoast said:

@chandroji said:
    Thanks for your recommendations @mrufino1 !

Only 16 bit and cinch input/output but:

I use one of those to record the master output (of everything I'm doing) to my phone.

Oh, this looks also very nice und useful! 😊
    I just read it works as input and output for the iPad. For 21.-€ i will definitely give it a try!

Thanks a lot for your advice @BroCoast !

• @chandroji said:

@rs2000 said:

@chandroji said:
    Thanks @rs2000 !

See

Looks fine! Thanks a lot for the video @rs2000 ! 👍
    I will check it out. But I’m wondering why I need a power bank because H1 is battery powered?
    Anyway, I think I will visit my shop with my iPhone, camera adapter and OP-Z for a test drive... 😊

No, afaik you don't need a power bank (but I can double-check if you want) except if you want your iDevice to be charged.

• edited June 2019

No, charging the IDevice is just optional @rs2000 ! Up to now I never need an external power bank when I’m on the road.

Im always happy when I need to carry as less as possible gear. Size and weight rules! 😊

• Roland Go Mixer Pro?

• I use a Zoom H1n for recording and as audio interface. Bought it for €79,-. Works perfect without powerbank. Sound quality is very good, can recommend it.

• @chandroji said:
    No, charging the IDevice is just optional @rs2000 ! Up to now I never need an external power bank when I’m on the road.

Im always happy when I need to carry as less as possible gear. Size and weight rules! 😊

OK Chandroji,
    here's a few updates about the H1 (i.e. the old version):
    To power the device you need a powered CCK3.
    The H1 will draw too much power from an iPad 2018, although you might be lucky with an iPad Pro.
    The Line input can take line-level signals no problem, but connecting an iPhone with Gadget I had to reduce the max. headphones level by 2 notches to avoid distortion.
    Noise level is low enough for amateur use. And it is clean white noise so it could be removed using e.g. brusfri quite easily without destroying the recording.
    Fair enough I would say.
    Note that when connecting via USB, if you have nothing plugged into the Line in port, you can use it as a fairly good USB stereo microphone for instrument or environment recordings.

• yeah - the h6, while lovely, is barely smaller than the Komplete Audio 6. I still often take my tascam dr-05 over the h6 for making field recordings just because it's smaller and will easily go in a pocket.

Roland Go pro is nearly really nice but I find it a bit limited not really having any 'out's but for just recording stuff you might find it ok. I don't use mine a lot I must say - mostly for video sound (which is what it was intended for)

I've got a UCA202 somewhere - the sound quality didn't do it for me on that one, nice enough & great size but I can hear the difference between it and better devices

• @pagefall said:
    I've got a UCA202 somewhere - the sound quality didn't do it for me on that one, nice enough & great size but I can hear the difference between it and better devices

I've compared it with the H1 and the UCA not only has a higher noise floor but also there's a sizzling sound and a slightly varying noise level that is not present on the H1.
    Advantage of the UCA is that it can be powered by the iPad directly, even by using the older CCK2.

• edited June 2019

Sonic port vx is worth a look. Has a built in stereo mic or can record a guitar and mono vocals. Or line in from another iPad/iphone etc all powered from the lightning socket. Or back at home it can power the iPad if plugged into usb power.

https://uk.line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport-vx/

• edited June 2019

Very interesting infos in this thread! Thank you all! 👍

The Roland Go:Mixer I have on my radar since a year @mjcouche because of the ability to record external gear mobile. But I always worried to buy it, I don’t know exactly why... 😎

@pagefall said:
    Roland Go pro is nearly really nice but I find it a bit limited not really having any 'out's but for just recording stuff you might find it ok. I don't use mine a lot I must say - mostly for video sound (which is what it was intended for)

One thing I’m missing in the Go:Mixer is a 3.5 Stereo Line In . I know there are two mono inputs but it’s not the same. So may I need adapter. I’m also a little bit afraid how good is the soundquality? Anyway...

@pagefall said:

@rs2000 said:
    I've compared it with the H1 and the UCA not only has a higher noise floor but also there's a sizzling sound and a slightly varying noise level that is not present on the H1.
    Advantage of the UCA is that it can be powered by the iPad directly, even by using the older CCK2.

That’s a good info, thank you both for comparing this little Behringer device. At the end the soundquality is the most important measurement!

@BiancaNeve said:
    Sonic port vx is worth a look. Has a built in stereo mic or can record a guitar and mono vocals. Or line in from another iPad/iphone etc all powered from the lightning socket. Or back at home it can power the iPad if plugged into usb power.

https://uk.line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport-vx/

Also this little and elegant device I have on my radar since a year when I was in the market for a lightning microphone. I decided to buy a Shure MV88 these days for my iPhone.

I will have a closer look to the Sonic Port, thanks a lot for mentioning it @BiancaNeve ! 😊

• One thing I’m missing in the Go:Mixer is a 3.5 Stereo Line In . I know there are two mono inputs but it’s not the same. So may I need adapter. I’m also a little bit afraid how good is the soundquality? Anyway...

Yeah - I find it quite a frustrating little device - it's not quite right like you say - with a few tweaks it might be fine. Pretty sure sound quality has been great the few times I've used it although I don't think I've used it enough to be 100% confident about that

• @pagefall said:

One thing I’m missing in the Go:Mixer is a 3.5 Stereo Line In . I know there are two mono inputs but it’s not the same. So may I need adapter. I’m also a little bit afraid how good is the soundquality? Anyway...

Yeah - I find it quite a frustrating little device - it's not quite right like you say - with a few tweaks it might be fine. Pretty sure sound quality has been great the few times I've used it although I don't think I've used it enough to be 100% confident about that

The 3.5mm inputs are stereo.....

ConnectorsINSTRUMENT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
    LINE IN 1 jack: Stereo miniature phone type
    LINE IN 2 jack: Stereo miniature phone type
    MIC jack: 1/4-inch phone type (no plug-in power)
    GUITAR/BASS jack: 1/4-inch phone type (high impedance)
    MONITOR OUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type
    USB port: USB Micro-B type

• edited June 2019

@chandroji said:
    I will have a closer look to the Sonic Port, thanks a lot for mentioning it @BiancaNeve ! 😊

The SonicPort VX looks interesting too because you can optionally connect a USB charger or power bank to charge the iPad, but it also works without! Now if it had MIDI, it could be the perfect iDevice companion :)

Edit: The newer (and current model) Zoom H1n apparently works iPad-powered, no need for external power anymore.
    I also found that the Zoom's input sensitivity is high enough to go to 0dB in most cases, the UCA is less sensitive and you may end up with an even lower SNR if your gear doesn't produce output levels high enough.

• edited June 2019

@rs2000 said:

@chandroji said:

Edit: The newer (and current model) Zoom H1n apparently works iPad-powered, no need for external power anymore.

That's what I said a few hours ago...... :)

• @chandroji said:

Also this little and elegant device I have on my radar since a year when I was in the market for a lightning microphone. I decided to buy a Shure MV88 these days for my iPhone.

The Shure MV88 is on my 'maybe to buy for my next journey' list. Are you happy with it, chandroji?

• @Pierre118 said:

@rs2000 said:

@chandroji said:

That's what I said a few hours ago...... :)

Oh, lazy me didn't reload the page :D

• edited June 2019

@cabo said:

@chandroji said:

The Shure MV88 is on my 'maybe to buy for my next journey' list. Are you happy with it, chandroji?

I’m more than happy with the MV88! 😊
    That’s why I’m not so much interested in the Microphones in the Tascams, Zoom etc. here I just look for a stereo line in.

When I go for field or mic recordings I always use the iPhone! Love to play with FieldScaper... 👍
    Soundquality is excellent for my needs!

The iPhone is always with me and the Mic even in the box is very small and lightweight, ideal for mobile use.

The only competition here is the RODE I-XY which I used before. It’s also high quality but there are also some things I don’t like. Especially you will miss your home button when attached with the iPhone... 😎

• That's good to know and helps with the decision. Thanks.

• edited June 2019

How does one use an external sound card for line inputs but output audio via iPad speakers? Every time I connect an interface via CCK, I can't use the iPad speakers?