Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sounds of Drexciya

The guys behind Drexciya (James Stinson and Gerald Donald) didn't ever talk about the gear they used as far as I can tell (other than a mention of using TR-808 and 909).

I am curious about some of the sounds they use.

Anyone have any ideas about what synth/effect is creating those metallic sweeps in Aqua Worm Hole?

Comments

• I have read quite a bit there. Haven't found anything that sheds light on my question. Did you find something there that does?

I imagine that there are some folks here that might know from listening what might have been used.

• edited June 2019

A number of mentions of both Korg and Roland gear.

Seems to be the general consensus on Muffwiggler as well: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5872&sid=4c0da2e8c75e8e6e0063bb4eec81be60

• @blakkaz said:
    A number of mentions of both Korg and Roland gear.

Seems to be the general consensus on Muffwiggler as well: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5872&sid=4c0da2e8c75e8e6e0063bb4eec81be60

And on other sites, Yamaha gear is mentioned as likely for some of the FM-y sounds.

Back to the original question: any idea what likely candidates for that crazy resonant sweep sound on Aqua Worm Hole?

• Not sure what they used for that sound on Aqua Worm Hole, but the bell is a CZ5000 preset. For analog stuff, I've read they used the Alpha Juno, SH-101, MKS-80, Pro One, Korg Monopoly, 808 and 909 obviously. They definitely used a lot of digital synths too like the Kawai K1, Roland D110 and CZ5000.

CZ5000 bells:

K1 choirs, bells, slap bass:

D110:

• Anyone have a specific idea about the synth and/or effect used for crazy resonant metallic sweeps in Aqua Worm Hole?

• @jonmoore : do you have any thoughts about what synth and/or effect is involved in that prominent metallic sweep sound in Aqua Worm Hole?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @jonmoore : do you have any thoughts about what synth and/or effect is involved in that prominent metallic sweep sound in Aqua Worm Hole?

Not sure but it does remind me of the sort of timbre you can get when using audio rate modulation on the Odyssey (tuned to a fifth to keep things less dissonant). It's got that warmth you only tend to get when FMing an analog synth. It sounds like it's being fed through a bucket brigade delay too - wet and squelchy without any nasty ringing (which is a tough thing to get right when the source material is so resonant itself).

BTW thanks for ruining my productivity today. I've spent the morning in the attic digging through my UR collection! :)

• @jonmoore said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @jonmoore : do you have any thoughts about what synth and/or effect is involved in that prominent metallic sweep sound in Aqua Worm Hole?

Not sure but it does remind me of the sort of timbre you can get when using audio rate modulation on the Odyssey (tuned to a fifth to keep things less dissonant). It's got that warmth you only tend to get when FMing an analog synth. It sounds like it's being fed through a bucket brigade delay too - wet and squelchy without any nasty ringing (which is a tough thing to get right when the source material is so resonant itself).

BTW thanks for ruining my productivity today. I've spent the morning in the attic digging through my UR collection! :)

It's been a long time since I've had any analog hardware. I've not been able to coax that sort of sweeps metallic sqelchiness out of my modeled analogs so far...is it possible that part of the sound is some cool filter/flanger involved. I remember Zappa running through some crazy effect (maybe towards the end of Black Napkins) that had a bit of that character.

There is a Phasemaker preset with a bit of that character which has made me wonder if it could be some variety of FM synth.

This one sound (which pops up on a few Drexciya tracks) stands out to me and also is mystifying yo me as to how it would have been made.