Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Binaural Location by Ngo Minh Ngoc

Comments

• oh, i just made a refund :( i really want that app, looks amazing.

So ... just work in iOS12.2 above ?

• Bought. This looks to me like a great way to place my various instruments in front of you (in your head) when I play you my tune. Some of us might remember quadrophonic 8-track tapes and systems that tried this, they sounded very cool. Blue_Mangoo is kicking butt this week!

• @Blue_Mangoo : any chance you all might implement some non-binaural plug-ins for spatial realism akin to 2CAudio’s Precedence?

There is nothing like it on iOS that I know of:

https://www.2caudio.com/products/precedence#_Overview

• One thing I didn’t like about virtual room is that it just made stereo sounds mono first and then applied the effect to pan them. So things often sounded weird and not good. That’s not the case here is it?

• Here is a video of an exploration I did last night. I am really enjoying this app. I am curious to hear what impact it can have for non-headphone listening:

• @espiegel123 said:
    Here is a video of an exploration I did last night. I am really enjoying this app. I am curious to hear what impact it can have for non-headphone listening:

Beautiful demonstration of this unique app's capabilities for placement and as a swirling FX device.
    It doesn't show phasing but it does have some dramatic impacts on EQ probably due to the time shifting which might cancel out a lot of highs. I found that to be nice to make bass sounds more interesting.

• @raimundoarriagada said:
    oh, i just made a refund :( i really want that app, looks amazing.

So ... just work in iOS12.2 above ?

For now, yes. I will post a message to this forum if we come up with a way to support older versions.

• @db909 said:
    One thing I didn’t like about virtual room is that it just made stereo sounds mono first and then applied the effect to pan them. So things often sounded weird and not good. That’s not the case here is it?

This plugin has a true stereo input.

We plan to add the mono mix as a second option, in a future update.

• What’s the ‘tldr:’ on this thread from peeps who’ve used the app?

Cheers in advance.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    What’s the ‘tldr:’ on this thread from peeps who’ve used the app?

Cheers in advance.

Watch the vids. I like it a lot.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo : any chance you all might implement some non-binaural plug-ins for spatial realism akin to 2CAudio’s Precedence?

I was part of a research team at Singapore University of Technology and Design from 2013 to 2018. We built several test apps for research purposes that do reverb in addition to binaural location control. We even designed a system that models the acoustics of virtual rooms based on a 3D model of the space. It was heavy on processor usage but it worked fine and was a nice effect. However, when we ran listening tests, it seemed that most people could not really hear much difference between the following two setups:

1. Binaural Location effect + ordinary reverb plugin
    2. Binaural location effect + 3D modelling reverb

people could hear the difference between the standard reverb and the 3D modelled reverb when we put the listener location right next to the wall. But anywhere else in the room, the effect was not very noticeable.

My personal opinion was that it simply wasn’t worth all the extra processor and memory usage to get the 3D reverb because it sounded different, but it didn’t really sound better. I can’t imagine putting a 3D reverb on a track in a mix and then saying, Wow that’s the sound this music was missing! Or to put it another way, the sense of location I got from the 3D reverb was like 5-10% clearer than what I got from ordinary reverb combined with Binaural Location.

So... we might release a modelling reverb plugin someday in a simplified form. But the kind of full on 3D modelling that simulates the space in minute detail seems to be a waste of processor power, to my ears.

What would have benefit is an app that integrates Binaural Location with a reverb effect that uses the location of the listener and speakers on the UI to automatically set parameters like predelay, reverb mix, diffusion and decay time. That is very doable and I think worthwhile in the sense that most people do not want to calculate how much predelay corresponds to a particular room size and listener location, and would appreciate an app that lets them position the listener and speakers by dragging them around like in Binaural Location, and the app just calculates all the settings from what’s happening on the screen.

But until we make something like that, you might want to try just running an ordinary reverb plugin at the output of Binaural Location. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how close that gets you to the 3D modèles reverb sound.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@db909 said:
    One thing I didn’t like about virtual room is that it just made stereo sounds mono first and then applied the effect to pan them. So things often sounded weird and not good. That’s not the case here is it?

This plugin has a true stereo input.

We plan to add the mono mix as a second option, in a future update.

Excellent! Thank you

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo : any chance you all might implement some non-binaural plug-ins for spatial realism akin to 2CAudio’s Precedence?

I was part of a research team at Singapore University of Technology and Design from 2013 to 2018. We built several test apps for research purposes that do reverb in addition to binaural location control. We even designed a system that models the acoustics of virtual rooms based on a 3D model of the space. It was heavy on processor usage but it worked fine and was a nice effect. However, when we ran listening tests, it seemed that most people could not really hear much difference between the following two setups:

people could hear the difference between the standard reverb and the 3D modelled reverb when we put the listener location right next to the wall. But anywhere else in the room, the effect was not very noticeable.

My personal opinion was that it simply wasn’t worth all the extra processor and memory usage to get the 3D reverb because it sounded different, but it didn’t really sound better. I can’t imagine putting a 3D reverb on a track in a mix and then saying, Wow that’s the sound this music was missing! Or to put it another way, the sense of location I got from the 3D reverb was like 5-10% clearer than what I got from ordinary reverb combined with Binaural Location.

So... we might release a modelling reverb plugin someday in a simplified form. But the kind of full on 3D modelling that simulates the space in minute detail seems to be a waste of processor power, to my ears.

What would have benefit is an app that integrates Binaural Location with a reverb effect that uses the location of the listener and speakers on the UI to automatically set parameters like predelay, reverb mix, diffusion and decay time. That is very doable and I think worthwhile in the sense that most people do not want to calculate how much predelay corresponds to a particular room size and listener location, and would appreciate an app that lets them position the listener and speakers by dragging them around like in Binaural Location, and the app just calculates all the settings from what’s happening on the screen.

But until we make something like that, you might want to try just running an ordinary reverb plugin at the output of Binaural Location. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how close that gets you to the 3D modèles reverb sound.

Take another look at the web site. Precedence isn't a reverb. It just locates the sound in space and is quite lightweight CPU-wise. I haven't used it yet but I know people that swear by it and run it as an insert for every instrument. It is apparently effective for this even for listening over speakers.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@espiegel123 said:

Take another look at the web site. Precedence isn't a reverb. It just locates the sound in space and is quite lightweight CPU-wise. I haven't used it yet but I know people that swear by it and run it as an insert for every instrument. It is apparently effective for this even for listening over speakers.

Sorry, I was in a hurry to know what it does; I didn’t research it carefully. After a quick look I thought it was some kind of reverb.

• I can see why you would have that impression.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I can see why you would have that impression.

I watched some videos about it. I was trying to figure out what it does that is different from our own Binaural Location. It looks like it could be a very similar feature set

• edited June 2019

Little demo of Binaural Location. Thanks to @Blue_Mangoo for the promo code, and the opportunity to practice demoing and video editing. Used a init patch from Zeeon for a basic sound to highlight the effect of Binaural Location.

• @haulin_notes said:

Little demo of Binaural Location. Thanks to @Blue_Mangoo for the promo code, and the opportunity to practice demoing and video editing. Used a init patch from Zeeon for a basic sound to highlight the effect of Binaural Location.

Thanks for posting this.

In the video it sounds like there is a lot of distortion noise when the location of the L and R sound sources move. I just tested it with the same Zeeon init patch but I don’t hear that noise when I do it.

Are you hearing that sound from the plugin itself or did that somehow come into the soundtrack during the video recording process?

• edited June 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@haulin_notes said:

Thanks for posting this.

In the video it sounds like there is a lot of distortion noise when the location of the L and R sound sources move. I just tested it with the same Zeeon init patch but I don’t hear that noise when I do it.

Are you hearing that sound from the plugin itself or did that somehow come into the soundtrack during the video recording process?

Thanks for the reply. Yea, there is a background noise going on there. But it is NOT coming from the app, and was not in the video before posting to YouTube. I’m scratching my head over it. I recorded and edited a demo video twice, thinking my levels in Zeeon, AUM, and/or Luma Fusion were too high causing possible clipping. But no, that’s not it. I set the render levels in LumaFusion to quality/HD. No go. Just weird, never experienced this before. I really think it’s a youtube compression issue.

Unless someone has another idea? I will try recording again with another sound source when I can. And i just now updated LumaFusion, though I doubt that will change anything. (Let me know please if you want me to take down the video).

But once again... the app sounds and works GREAT! Absolutely NO problems, noise, or glitches using it in AUM. Thanks. 😊

• As an experiment it’d be interesting to be able to do a complex scaling of interlinked parameters such that the HRTF and HRIR could be stretched to make it seem like the subject is in the same place, but has “grown bigger” or “smaller”. Or at least, has bigger or smaller ears. Like changing the size of the ears to be elephantine or mouse-sized.

• @Blue_Mangoo
    Took down the other video. Still don’t know what happened! 😄
    Anyway, made a little demo using Binaural Location and PPG WaveMapper in AUM, which seems to be noise free. Thanks!

• Now for something weirder... Binaural Location as an effect on Sugar Bytes Factory in AUM.

• edited June 2019

@u0421793 said:
    As an experiment it’d be interesting to be able to do a complex scaling of interlinked parameters such that the HRTF and HRIR could be stretched to make it seem like the subject is in the same place, but has “grown bigger” or “smaller”. Or at least, has bigger or smaller ears. Like changing the size of the ears to be elephantine or mouse-sized.

That is an interesting idea. If you want to see how the time difference between the two ears affects spatial perception you can try our free plugin called stereo lag time:

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/stereo-lag-time/id1459615373

Putting this app at the output of Binaural Location would essentially allow you to adjust the distance between the ears.

• @haulin_notes

Your two new videos sound great!

• edited June 2019

@raimundoarriagada, @RockySmalls @jwmmakerofmusic

We found out why the old iOS versions aren't working. We have submitted an update to correct the problem and we are hoping to see it on the App Store within 24 hours.

I'm sorry for this. @raimundoarriagada was right: the app naming issue was a red herring; the issue was elsewhere, it was entirely our own fault, and it was very easy to fix.

• Here’s a video that wins the “most creative” prize for demonstrating Binaural Location:

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @raimundoarriagada, @RockySmalls @jwmmakerofmusic

We found out why the old iOS versions aren't working. We have submitted an update to correct the problem and we are hoping to see it on the App Store within 24 hours.

I'm sorry for this. @raimundoarriagada was right: the app naming issue was a red herring; the issue was elsewhere, it was entirely our own fault, and it was very easy to fix.

that was me, with the red herring ;-) ... but i am super happy to hear about the fix..
    looking forward to binauralling it up sometime soon :)

• @Blue_Mangoo For more creative freedom being able to change the shape and resize the orbits could be a pretty cool addition.
    Like orbits in 8 figure (head in the middle) or other shapes that can be easily made.

I think it's at least worth considering :)

• @Samu said:
    @Blue_Mangoo For more creative freedom being able to change the shape and resize the orbits could be a pretty cool addition.
    Like orbits in 8 figure (head in the middle) or other shapes that can be easily made.

Those lissajous patterns are quite interesting to watch and listen to. My concern is that they could make the UI harder to understand.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Samu said:
    @Blue_Mangoo For more creative freedom being able to change the shape and resize the orbits could be a pretty cool addition.

Those lissajous patterns are quite interesting to watch and listen to. My concern is that they could make the UI harder to understand.

Yea, I was just thinking 'Amiga Demos' when sine-bobs were quite popular.

In short due to memory constraints a sine-table for X & Y coordinates and an offset (90 degrees) in the table created a cosine, so one table could be used to create a 'circle'. Then 4 parameters were used to create different 'shapes'.

One value was used to 'skip' values in the table (= change the frequency) and another was used to 'rotate the table' (=phase) and this was used for X & Y coordinates creating a lot of neat patterns.

But yeah, the results are similar to lissajous patterns :)