Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Binaural Location by Ngo Minh Ngoc

Comments

• @RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    Hm... This happens quite frequently, but this is the first time I have heard of it not being resolved by rebooting the iPad.

tried a few more reboots, including one with the stand alone open... nothing! FYI, it doesn’t appear in other au locations either, ferrite, auria pro, twisted wave, meteor..
    what’s to do?

When you rebooted , did you power down?

yep & yep... but thanks for yr concern.. it’s a weird one!

I can’t remember the specific date, but we got complaints at some point in the past that some audio units weren’t being listed for new installs on a certain version of iOS 12. And a week or so later another update from Apple and all was fine. The picture I am getting from reading in this thread confirms what I vaguely remember: it worked on iOS 12.0, but then not on some later versions, and then worked again on newer versions. If i remember correctly it may have had something to do with the way the name of the plugin is spelled when we report it to the audio unit host. Like you couldn’t have spaces or colons or something like that.

If that’s really the case then we are really stuck with your case, until you can update iOS.

if it is something as simple as that .. what would be the problem with changing the spelling of the Au ‘report to host’ at this early stage? it is a relatively simple Au effect.. so not much problem for people to clear and re-assign the plug-in in projects i imagine.
    but I guess you will have to get a few more reports of the same problem than the 2 or 3 here on this forum to bother maybe? so i hope it’s a successful au.. the more sales the more invisible instances! i doubt i have a unique ipad configuration.
    and I have been tempted into updating my ios version before now to solve an app problem... it didn’t solve the problem. once bitten etc...
    sounds like you have a few more teething troubles to attend to so I’ll keep a look out for updates.

We don’t want to intentionally misspell our app name in order to make it work with broken code in an old version of iOS. Also, I don’t remember clearly what the text format problem was, so we might have to issue many updates with a variety of strange spellings, before we find one that works. Every time we rename the app, customers who have saved projects that use it would find their projects not loading. I think the only reasonable option is to format the name according to the standard convention and leave it like that.

• edited June 2019

@ocelot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@ocelot said:
    So Distance, Panning...does it do Height?
    Looking for a Roland RSS style effect.

Many research studies in the field of psychoacoustics have shown that the human perception of the vertical location of sounds depends on the shape of each individual person’s ears, because the unique way sounds reflect off of the folds in the skin when the sound comes from different angles is a major part of our perception. Just putting putty in the folds of your outer ear totally distorts your perception. See this video for an example of this:

Skip ahead to 4:30 to see the demo.

The problem with making an app that does the vertical dimension of location is that in order to do it well, we need a picture of the listener’s ears, because every person’s ears reflect sound differently.

Edit: I was looking for a link to a research paper that explains why you need a picture of the listener’s ears and I came across this very new article (March 2019) that claims to have a method for doing it for the general case of all listeners, without measuring their ears. It’s less effective than it would be if they had a photo of your ears, but still an improvement.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331691501_Spectral_manipulation_improves_elevation_perception_with_non-individualized_head-related_transfer_functions

Because this paper only came out three months ago, I’m very curious to know how well virtual room does with the third dimension. I haven’t tried it yet because I didn’t know it existed until users in this thread mentioned it.

Wow, so modifying the shape of the flappy part of our ears completely throws off our ability to locate where a sound is coming from. Didn't know that. Thanks!

How about filtering out more bass the higher it is? Not realistic enough?

I know you're busy but an idea for another psychoacoustic plugin, but based on reverberation? Roland RSS-10. You can hear it all over Geogaddi by Boards of Canada.

I intend to try the method in that research paper link I sent, for doing the vertical dimension without measuring the ears.

Thanks for the link. I’m interested in this topic.

We developed a test app that takes a 3D model of a room and generates reverb that simulates the way sound echoes in that room. It worked pretty well. But it seemed to me that my own perception of location of a sound in a room was 90% coming from the directional cues that we are doing in Binaural Location and only 10% from the custom reverb models. That means we could get 90% of the same results by just taking an app like binaural location and putting a little reverb on it, using an ordinary reverb plugin. That seems like a more sensible way to do it, from a musician’s perspective. Who really wants to work with 3D room models when you could just use your favourite reverb plugin (that you already own).

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    Hm... This happens quite frequently, but this is the first time I have heard of it not being resolved by rebooting the iPad.

tried a few more reboots, including one with the stand alone open... nothing! FYI, it doesn’t appear in other au locations either, ferrite, auria pro, twisted wave, meteor..
    what’s to do?

I can’t remember the specific date, but we got complaints at some point in the past that some audio units weren’t being listed for new installs on a certain version of iOS 12. And a week or so later another update from Apple and all was fine. The picture I am getting from reading in this thread confirms what I vaguely remember: it worked on iOS 12.0, but then not on some later versions, and then worked again on newer versions. If i remember correctly it may have had something to do with the way the name of the plugin is spelled when we report it to the audio unit host. Like you couldn’t have spaces or colons or something like that.

If that’s really the case then we are really stuck with your case, until you can update iOS.

if it is something as simple as that .. what would be the problem with changing the spelling of the Au ‘report to host’ at this early stage? it is a relatively simple Au effect.. so not much problem for people to clear and re-assign the plug-in in projects i imagine.
    but I guess you will have to get a few more reports of the same problem than the 2 or 3 here on this forum to bother maybe? so i hope it’s a successful au.. the more sales the more invisible instances! i doubt i have a unique ipad configuration.
    and I have been tempted into updating my ios version before now to solve an app problem... it didn’t solve the problem. once bitten etc...
    sounds like you have a few more teething troubles to attend to so I’ll keep a look out for updates.

We don’t want to intentionally misspell our app name in order to make it work with broken code in an old version of iOS. Also, I don’t remember clearly what the text format problem was, so we might have to issue many updates with a variety of strange spellings, before we find one that works. Every time we rename the app, customers who have saved projects that use it would find their projects not loading. I think the only reasonable option is to format the name according to the standard convention and leave it like that.

yes, standard convention would be most sensible to avoid problems in future ios versions..
    does it not conform to that now?

• I presume this works at 48K?

Has anyone used this with a mono input?
    The vids all seem to have a stereo input, and I am wondering if the spatial effect is diminished with a mono input source?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    When we developed this app we originally didn’t have the orbits in it.

Here's a project using Binaural Location to place instruments:

Drums on Right (remember headphones can be opposite at times)
    Bass on Left
    Strings in the center

At the 10 second mark I turn off all the BL FX'es
    At the 20 second mark I turn them back on and then add the excellent Blue Mangoo Stereo Delay on the master output.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Using Binaural Location inside AUM. Tried using Rozeta LFO cc 13 to change distance left parameter getting instant crashing of Binaural location.

Thank you for reporting this. We will work on it.

I am also getting a crash when mapping MIDI cc to the l and right distances and then sending a CC value to the parameter. If you have any trouble reproducing it or need more info let me know. This was in AUM on a 6th gen iPad running 12.3.1

• @RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

what’s to do?

yes, standard convention would be most sensible to avoid problems in future ios versions..

To be clear, I don’t remember what about the format of the name causes this error. It was something like we can’t have a space in the name of our company or something of that sort. The current spelling seems to be the most reasonable and correct way to write it though. Deleting spaces would place this plugin in a different part of the list from our other plugins. Either way, we might have to rename it several times before we got one that works. We are planning to stop listing support for iOS versions below 12.2 as soon as possible.

• edited June 2019

@Mayo said:
    I presume this works at 48K?

The vids all seem to have a stereo input, and I am wondering if the spatial effect is diminished with a mono input source?

It should work fine at any sample rate.

It’s kind of weird in mono because you have to place both the L and R speakers even though they have the same audio coming out. We are planning to add a feature for mono input where there is just a single speaker location to adjust instead of L and R. Hopefully that update will release soon.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Using Binaural Location inside AUM. Tried using Rozeta LFO cc 13 to change distance left parameter getting instant crashing of Binaural location.

Thank you for reporting this. We will work on it.

I am also getting a crash when mapping MIDI cc to the l and right distances and then sending a CC value to the parameter. If you have any trouble reproducing it or need more info let me know. This was in AUM on a 6th gen iPad running 12.3.1

Thank you

• @Blue_Mangoo - I found a odd bug...
    When I connect this to my Mac via ADAM, Binaural Location forces AUM to 44.1k.
    So I disconnect iPad lead, set up AUM at 48k, reconnected to ADAM - everything works.

Now when I insert Binaural Location as an FX - it crashes, needs to restart - and then forces AUM back to 44.1k

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Mayo said:
    I presume this works at 48K?

It’s kind of weird in mono because you have to place both the L and R speakers even though they have the same audio coming out. We are planning to add a feature for mono input where there is just a single speaker location to
    @Mayo said:
    @Blue_Mangoo - I found a odd bug...
    When I connect this to my Mac via ADAM, Binaural Location forces AUM to 44.1k.
    So I disconnect iPad lead, set up AUM at 48k, reconnected to ADAM - everything works.

Now when I insert Binaural Location as an FX - it crashes, needs to restart - and then forces AUM back to 44.1k

Thank you. We will look into this.

The crash is obviously an error in our app and we will fix that. But I am not sure how a plugin could force AUM to 44.1 KHz sample rate. There might be something else going on there.

• @Blue_Mangoo - to add to this.
    I placed a file in AUMs file player, and Binaural Location does not work,
    also the orbits cannot be switched on when using the file player - so there is some incompatibility with AUM

• @Mayo said:
    @Blue_Mangoo - to add to this.
    I placed a file in AUMs file player, and Binaural Location does not work,
    also the orbits cannot be switched on when using the file player - so there is some incompatibility with AUM

Ok. Thanks again for reporting this. Clear bug reports like this are a big help to us.

• Make it a VST !!!!!!
    Much needed on DAW's like Ableton & Reaper etc.... :smile:

• @Mayo said:
    Make it a VST !!!!!!
    Much needed on DAW's like Ableton & Reaper etc.... :smile:

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking today about porting some of our plugins to Mac. Once you have already developed something like this, it makes sense, economically to release on other platforms. I think that after we have a larger number of iOS plugins we will start looking at porting some of them to Mac first, and then Windows later.

• I'm trying to work out a way to play a 40 minute sample through this,
    and as I can't use AUM file player / or IDAM at the moment,
    does anyone know an app that will play a 40 minute sample so I can run it through this baby?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

what’s to do?

To be clear, I don’t remember what about the format of the name causes this error. It was something like we can’t have a space in the name of our company or something of that sort. The current spelling seems to be the most reasonable and correct way to write it though. Deleting spaces would place this plugin in a different part of the list from our other plugins. Either way, we might have to rename it several times before we got one that works. We are planning to stop listing support for iOS versions below 12.2 as soon as possible.

well yr Stereo Lag plugin lists fine on my system.. it comes up Blue Mangoo: Stereo Lag
    in cubasis if that helps..
    it also sounds like a pun on StereoLab :)

• invisible in AUM to me too using iPad Air1 with iOS10

• @RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

what’s to do?

well yr Stereo Lag plugin lists fine on my system.. it comes up Blue Mangoo: Stereo Lag

@raimundoarriagada

Yeah I just checked it again. I don’t see any difference between the way those two apps advertise their names to iOS. Really, I don’t think we are going to be able to fix this because I don’t see any mistake there for us to correct. I recommend both of you just apply for a refund. With the next update we will list the app as not supporting iOS versions older than 12.2

This link explains how to get a refund:

https://www.google.com.vn/amp/s/www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store?amp

Sorry

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

what’s to do?

@raimundoarriagada

Yeah I just checked it again. I don’t see any difference between the way those two apps advertise their names to iOS. Really, I don’t think we are going to be able to fix this because I don’t see any mistake there for us to correct. I recommend both of you just apply for a refund. With the next update we will list the app as not supporting iOS versions older than 12.2

https://www.google.com.vn/amp/s/www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store?amp

Sorry

i’ll wait one update before going for a refund just to see. hopefully that will be within the 30 days.
    I am unlikely to update ios until this new iPad ios comes out and proves stable.. the direct files transfer from usb drives might be to much temptation to resist! :)

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

what’s to do?

@raimundoarriagada

Sorry

also the naming thing might possibly be a red herring?

• @RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

what’s to do?

@raimundoarriagada

Sorry

Sure. It might have nothing to do with it. I suggest it because we had a very similar problem with another app and the developer said that changing the name fixed the problem on his test device. But we never released an update with the changed name because an iOS update came out before we got around to it and then we stopped getting those reports. But it’s strange because it seems that we only get these reports with new apps. Perhaps the old ones got themselves listed back when iOS was working in a different way and they just stay in the list. It could also be that the new version of the development software (XCode) packages audio units differently from the old one. Really we don’t know for sure what causes it.

• @Mayo said:
    I'm trying to work out a way to play a 40 minute sample through this,
    does anyone know an app that will play a 40 minute sample so I can run it through this baby?

If you can wait a few more days, we will fix it.

• Awesome - :)
    You are onto it !!!

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@RockySmalls said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

what’s to do?

@raimundoarriagada

Sorry

Sure. It might have nothing to do with it. I suggest it because we had a very similar problem with another app and the developer said that changing the name fixed the problem on his test device. But we never released an update with the changed name because an iOS update came out before we got around to it and then we stopped getting those reports. But it’s strange because it seems that we only get these reports with new apps. Perhaps the old ones got themselves listed back when iOS was working in a different way and they just stay in the list. It could also be that the new version of the development software (XCode) packages audio units differently from the old one. Really we don’t know for sure what causes it.

time will tell..

• Here is my demo for Binaural Location

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Here is my demo for Binaural Location

Thanks Doug for another great video!

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@bleep said:
    Interesting! Good soundscaping opportunities, if it works. Would be nice to hear a demo of something else than a talking human, which is normally not spinning around your head :) For instance a rythm loop (drone/helicopter sound), an ambient pad, an arp pattern of various frequencies etc.

Doug Woods will probably do a better demo than I did.

There appears to be a bug . I open the app and it allows me to move the locations one time, but then stops completely. I’m then unable to move the locations at all, so am stuck with the initial move. The orbit still works at that point but you cannot move anything on the main screen. I’m using iPad Pro 2018, 12.9. It’s a wonderful app aside from this, so I’m really looking forward to the fix. I’ll restart my device now, actually, and see if that resolves it...

• @audio_DT said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@bleep said:
    Interesting! Good soundscaping opportunities, if it works. Would be nice to hear a demo of something else than a talking human, which is normally not spinning around your head :) For instance a rythm loop (drone/helicopter sound), an ambient pad, an arp pattern of various frequencies etc.

Doug Woods will probably do a better demo than I did.

There appears to be a bug . I open the app and it allows me to move the locations one time, but then stops completely. I’m then unable to move the locations at all, so am stuck with the initial move. The orbit still works at that point but you cannot move anything on the main screen. I’m using iPad Pro 2018, 12.9. It’s a wonderful app aside from this, so I’m really looking forward to the fix. I’ll restart my device now, actually, and see if that resolves it...

Ok, so I restarted and now it’s all working perfectly. What a nice app - thanks 👌

• @Mayo said:
    I'm trying to work out a way to play a 40 minute sample through this,

Can you use a DAW app? or more than one device using an Audio interface?
    Does the audio file (sample) play in iTunes?

This is a riddle.