Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sick of GarageBand bugs -- do you (subjectively) prefer Cubasis or Auria Pro?

Yes, another Cubasis vs. Auria thread, but hopefully a bit different.

I love GarageBand, but a few intermittent bugs have made it impossible for me to use recently. I already have both Cubasis and Auria Pro, and I will switch to one or the other for recording and arrangement purposes. Mostly audio, very little MIDI.

I have a good idea of the capabilities of both these apps. I think the Auria vs. Cubasis contests have been done to death.

So my question is, which do you prefer, and why? Is there something about the workflow, or a particular neat feature that makes you, personally, prefer Auria or Cubasis?

This is not the thread for objective argument, or feature lists. Subjective opinions only please!

Comments

• What bugs?

I prefer Cubasis but I don't use it for MIDI. I will no doubt prefer Auria once the new iPad OS drops.

• Auria for audio recording. Why? Fabfilter plugins, PSP plugins and proper bussing (subgroups/aux) to really conserve resources and spread it across multiple takes. Auria has a pro tool-ish vibe. Feels very desktopish for better and for worse.

Cubasis is great for midi based work and a blend of midi and audio. It has a couple waves plug ins which is great. However. I never attempt to lay a real song in Cubasis. Auria is my go to for that. I also never try and make a beat in Auria, Cubasis is better for that (to me)

• @BroCoast said:
    What bugs?

It just stops while playing back, quite often. And there's a known problem with AudioBus -- if you disconnect AB, then GB can no longer accept audio inputs from a USB audio interface.

• FWIW I'm leaning towards Auria, despite the 90s-era desktop-style UI.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Yes, another Cubasis vs. Auria thread, but hopefully a bit different.

I love GarageBand, but a few intermittent bugs have made it impossible for me to use recently. I already have both Cubasis and Auria Pro, and I will switch to one or the other for recording and arrangement purposes. Mostly audio, very little MIDI.

I have a good idea of the capabilities of both these apps. I think the Auria vs. Cubasis contests have been done to death.

So my question is, which do you prefer, and why? Is there something about the workflow, or a particular neat feature that makes you, personally, prefer Auria or Cubasis?

This is not the thread for objective argument, or feature lists. Subjective opinions only please!

I have both. For audio, Auria Pro with no hesitation. Sample accurate audio editing and much higher audio/midi timeline resolution. Buses. Tempo changes. FabFilter plugs.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

I like them both for different reasons. The answer depends a lot on the type of experience you’re after. Without knowing that, I would assume if you like GarageBand that Cubasis is a far smaller leap in thinking and experience and I recommend that.

If GarageBand > Cubasis is like playing tic-tac-toe > playing checkers, then GarageBand > Auria Pro is like playing tic-tac-toe > playing chess. Both are great games but are different levels removed from tic-tac-toe.

(I’d also wonder if you’d considered Gadget.)

• Strictly speaking from my own perspective, I haven't used Cubasis in forever. When I used to use Gadget, I'd bounce the stems and mix them down in Auria. Why? Sidechaining. This isn't necessarily for "super cool phat drops". :lol: Subtle sidechaining using vocals as the trigger helps the vocals to cut through a dense mix in such genres as Rock, EDM, Pop, and anything with a super dense backing track.

Another advantage I found in Auria is the ability to zoom in all the way to sample level. This is useful when I need to split audio and want to do so at a zero crossing. I can't zoom in nearly as far as that in Cubasis. Furthermore, when I turn snap off in Cubasis, the cursor still snapped to 1/128th notes (or was it 1/96th notes). Auria snaps to each sample at sample level when its snap is off.

Another advantage of Auria is Busses and Sends. Cubasis has send effects, but you can't, say, send acoustic drums to a drum buss. Busses and sends are crucial to my workflow.

With all of that said, Cubasis is simpler to use and has the superior MIDI editor. Granted Nanostudio 2's midi editor is even superior to that of Cubasis', but that's besides the point. :) It also works in tandem with Roli Noise, although I never really got into that. You can also have up to five effects rather than four in the mixer, although Auria makes up for that with the aforementioned busses.

Again, this is strictly speaking from my own perspective. :)

• @mistercharlie said:

@BroCoast said:
    What bugs?

It just stops while playing back, quite often. And there's a known problem with AudioBus -- if you disconnect AB, then GB can no longer accept audio inputs from a USB audio interface.

Ahh. I also noticed that when you record audio into GB via Audiobus it is misaligned. It seems to be overcompensated by a few ms.

• Cubasis as the work flow is very intelligent and laid out in a way that is desirable for switching back n forth from things such as apps, effects, synths, keys etc.
    Stagelight is my fav iOS daw cuz of the gui and clips and the workflow... Also has great fun instruments

• im using the ipadOS beta and auria pretty much takes the cake now. It handles EXS24 instruments, has a great mixer, drag and drop compatibility and with ATOM AUv3, i think it pretty much makes it a competent platform for midi editing as well.

• @chocobitz825 said:
    im using the ipadOS beta and auria pretty much takes the cake now. It handles EXS24 instruments, has a great mixer, drag and drop compatibility and with ATOM AUv3, i think it pretty much makes it a competent platform for midi editing as well.

I figured it would benefit the most from the new OS.

• @BroCoast said:

@chocobitz825 said:
    im using the ipadOS beta and auria pretty much takes the cake now. It handles EXS24 instruments, has a great mixer, drag and drop compatibility and with ATOM AUv3, i think it pretty much makes it a competent platform for midi editing as well.

the drag and drop are great for doing mixing projects in aura. Also dragging in midi and loops. Exporting files out of Auria to an external drive are great too. I just wish I could use EXS24 files off the drive too. Also, for some of these daws, using a mouse is not bad at all.

• As a desktop Cubase and Roli user, Cubasis is home base. Hoping for increased ease of passing projects back and forth from Cubase and Cubasis, which is a killer feature imho.

• For primarily audio, I would primarily use Auria Pro with some FabFilter Plugins.

But I would probably produce the audio with Cubasis ;-)

• Auria Pro for serious audio production, mixing and mastering. I can’t imagine how I would manage to finish a mix in other IOS DAW.

• I already came across a potential winning stroke for Auria: it can record audio from the Egoist AU. Neither Cubasis or GB can do that.

@jwmmakerofmusic No EDM or midi for me, and no need of

I do like the Cubasis workflow. It's very intuitive, and easy to get around. Auria always seems to require several taps to do anything. And no keyboard shortcuts, in 2019?!

• edited June 2019

When I do use a DAW, which is getting rarer by the week, I use Cubasis.

Never bought Auria because it gave me a migraine just looking at the UI and I value what's left of my sanity.

Cubasis is pretty good but it's for making music not people who love quoting numbers.

• I really enjoy using Auria, and for audio and mixing it's a real workhorse: it can handle pretty much anything you throw at it.

And even though I use all the other DAW-like apps for composition and sketching, I wouldn't want to create a final mix in anything other than Auria because of the routing, the bussing, the subgroups, the channel strip, and the plugins.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I already came across a potential winning stroke for Auria: it can record audio from the Egoist AU. Neither Cubasis or GB can do that.

@jwmmakerofmusic No EDM or midi for me, and no need of

I do like the Cubasis workflow. It's very intuitive, and easy to get around. Auria always seems to require several taps to do anything. And no keyboard shortcuts, in 2019?!

Well like I said mate, Cubasis is simpler to use, meaning easier. Me learning how to use it was a piece of cake. Learning Auria's many different gestures took some doing. It was very off-putting at first, and Auria collected virtual dust. About a year or two after purchasing Auria, I started using it just for mastering tracks, and slowly but surely, I got used to it. :lol:

I've never really made proper use of keyboard shortcuts, but perhaps I can bring that up with Rim given the fact iOS will have mouse support in iPadOS. The UI sure could use an overhaul as well given we're not living in the skeuomorphic era anymore.

That said, what kind of music do you make? :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Here's the latest!

• @mistercharlie said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Here's the latest!

That sounds so nice and chill. I dig. :)

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

• @wim said:

Perfect!

• @wim said:

Exactly right

• @chocobitz825 said:

@BroCoast said:

@chocobitz825 said:

the drag and drop are great for doing mixing projects in aura. Also dragging in midi and loops. Exporting files out of Auria to an external drive are great too. I just wish I could use EXS24 files off the drive too. Also, for some of these daws, using a mouse is not bad at all.

If Auria got keyboard shortcuts, it would be a game changer. It would literally be like having Pro Tools on the iPad. I would do my post production audio editing in it

• I wonder if Fabfilter finally makes all of their Auria plugins auv3 if there will be a lot of people getting Cubasis curious...? Haha 😉

(Side note: plllllleeease Fabfilter. That’s admittedly a huge Auria advantage).

• I have been in Cubasis all day and I am amazed at how poorly the time tracks. It is horrible. Is it my gen 1 iPad Pro, or is it this horrible for everyone? I am putting together tracks for the sunrizer weekly challenge and it can’t even accurately perform 2 tracks with simulated drum sounds in 2 separate instances of sunrizer.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@chocobitz825 said:

@BroCoast said:

@chocobitz825 said:

If Auria got keyboard shortcuts, it would be a game changer. It would literally be like having Pro Tools on the iPad. I would do my post production audio editing in it

This is exactly the confusing thing with DAWs. The only DAW I recall using keyboard shortcuts right now is garageband. It would be so good for these apps to implement it. Mouse support is on iPadOS but I havent tried it with a DAW yet. We're so close to having the basics of a good music creating experience for professional work, but the developers just need to push a bit further.

• Ha ha , the cars. There are some geniuses on this thread . LMAO
    What kind of meme should you put for NS2?

• @Telstar5 said:
    Ha ha , the cars. There are some geniuses on this thread . LMAO
    What kind of meme should you put for NS2?