Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS + akai force !

This is my goal now.
To get the force, and use it to sample from my iPad apps!!
And it seems to be great with ableton as well!

Who has the force??? Who wants it!!??

«1

Comments

  • Looks fascinating, too expensive for my budget though.

  • @reasOne said:
    This is my goal now.
    To get the force, and use it to sample from my iPad apps!!
    And it seems to be great with ableton as well!

    Who has the force??? Who wants it!!??

    Dean seemed meah on it when I asked him if I remember.

    Much rather wait for stand alone Maschine or Octatrack replacement......

  • @BiancaNeve said:
    Looks fascinating, too expensive for my budget though.

    Yeah but it has free delivery! ;)

  • I will do the same but with pioneer djs1000. Force has a clunky workflow for live looping ATM AFAIK.

  • Ableton just needs to drop an iOS daw and a stand alone machine, get it over with and get richer

  • edited June 12

    Standalone Ableton or Maschine or Bust. I don't want another DAW, unless MPC supports Ableton export. I do think Force is a better Push, but ginormous and kind of clunky from a hardware aesthetic perspective.

  • edited June 12

    It only does audio or midi clip launching.. No audio processing clips like Ableton.. so it's kinda limited..

  • @reasOne If you've used or researched the Force don't let me slow your joy but after doing extensive research myself I was surprised by both the limitations (for my needs) and (most of all) by the existing-users feedback: some brutally negative criticisms which may or may not impact your goals. If you've not already check the Akai forum for Force topics.

  • I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

  • @skrat said:
    I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

    Most iOS apps are missing two important features: Support for relative encoders and parameter feedback. Without them, the APC40 mk2 is much better suited to controlling desktop apps.

  • Pretty sure Akai APC40 doesn't work with iOS, but curious if it works out. I don't think the CC values are programmable / editable.

  • @reasOne said:
    This is my goal now.
    To get the force, and use it to sample from my iPad apps!!
    And it seems to be great with ableton as well!

    Who has the force??? Who wants it!!??

    I want a model thats small enough to take with you in a bag, round the size of the circuit maybe a little larger!!!

  • Thanks for everyone's feedback on this, still researching! I just like the idea of a quality all in one sampler that gets me away from the MacBook... I've had a lot of samplers in my day,sp202/303/404/555/505 , mpcs, op1, electribe sampler..... They all are very limited.... This looks like a great option over the mpc live as I really want clip launching, I don't work linear very well... Lots to think about

  • but the mpc live has clip launching, and when it gets to the 3.0 firmware it will be running the same software as the force or very close to it that's what akai said

  • MPC Live with Launchpad could be cool if gets clip launching support.

  • @kobamoto said:
    but the mpc live has clip launching, and when it gets to the 3.0 firmware it will be running the same software as the force or very close to it that's what akai said

    No kidding... So you can basically do the same thing but without the internal instruments and probably different effects....??
    Hmmm I didn't know it could do ableton like clips

  • the mpc live has onboard instruments as well.... check out some vids on 2.4 and the recent 2.5 updates....
    I don't know about the instruments on the force but from day one the Live has had clip launching and time stretching.... you can warp clips and you can warp slices.....

    I'm spoiled by ableton so I don't even use the time stretching on the mpc

  • @kobamoto said:
    the mpc live has onboard instruments as well.... check out some vids on 2.4 and the recent 2.5 updates....
    I don't know about the instruments on the force but from day one the Live has had clip launching and time stretching.... you can warp clips and you can warp slices.....

    I'm spoiled by ableton so I don't even use the time stretching on the mpc

    Well shit, now I'm not sure 🤣🤣

  • I have an mpclive and the akai force.

  • @MrSmileZ said:
    I have an mpclive and the akai force.

    What do you think Performs best for launching clips live and creating tracks by recording the clips sequence as you play them?
    Also can you launch clips and play other pads / instruments over them???
    I never really liked mpc banks and groups tbh so hoping the force is not like that

  • The> @reasOne said:

    @MrSmileZ said:
    I have an mpclive and the akai force.

    What do you think Performs best for launching clips live and creating tracks by recording the clips sequence as you play them?
    Also can you launch clips and play other pads / instruments over them???
    I never really liked mpc banks and groups tbh so hoping the force is not like that

    The mpclive can do clips, but it’s a 16 pad version of clips...real-time this isn’t gonna cut it for a lot of users
    The force is set up more like push2

    The force is more up your street
    The force has 4 independent zones
    The screen can control one thing, the knobs another, the top 4 rows of pads another, and the bottom 4 another!
    So for instance you can edit on the screen, automate some parameters of say a synth with the knobs, step sequence on the top 4 rows, and launch clips on the bottom rows...or any kind of mix or match.

    However...
    The force has no song mode currently...it’s all the way live right now, so a lot of folks get around that by resample or by hooking it to a recorder. The song mode is supposed to be on the way but there is no current eta for that.

    I would consider buying the force in its current state almost beta in a few aspects. If akai sees it forward as they have the MPC then everything will be coming...but it may be months or longer.

    That being said, I love the Force for all the great things it does at the moment...if nothing else we’re to come to it...i’d Still keep it...but there’s an incoming update in July according to gearslutz forum.

    If the force gets linear song mode, automation editing, a few more instruments, ableton integration, probability, and stem export...it’s gonna be an all in one monster!

    Hope this helps

  • Song mode: ToRaiz.
    Clip Launching and live looping: Djs1000.
    Both but lots of screen switching for my taste: mpclive.
    Nothing and computer dependency: Roland dj808
    :trollface:

  • @MrSmileZ said:
    The> @reasOne said:

    @MrSmileZ said:
    I have an mpclive and the akai force.

    What do you think Performs best for launching clips live and creating tracks by recording the clips sequence as you play them?
    Also can you launch clips and play other pads / instruments over them???
    I never really liked mpc banks and groups tbh so hoping the force is not like that

    The mpclive can do clips, but it’s a 16 pad version of clips...real-time this isn’t gonna cut it for a lot of users
    The force is set up more like push2

    The force is more up your street
    The force has 4 independent zones
    The screen can control one thing, the knobs another, the top 4 rows of pads another, and the bottom 4 another!
    So for instance you can edit on the screen, automate some parameters of say a synth with the knobs, step sequence on the top 4 rows, and launch clips on the bottom rows...or any kind of mix or match.

    However...
    The force has no song mode currently...it’s all the way live right now, so a lot of folks get around that by resample or by hooking it to a recorder. The song mode is supposed to be on the way but there is no current eta for that.

    I would consider buying the force in its current state almost beta in a few aspects. If akai sees it forward as they have the MPC then everything will be coming...but it may be months or longer.

    That being said, I love the Force for all the great things it does at the moment...if nothing else we’re to come to it...i’d Still keep it...but there’s an incoming update in July according to gearslutz forum.

    If the force gets linear song mode, automation editing, a few more instruments, ableton integration, probability, and stem export...it’s gonna be an all in one monster!

    Hope this helps

    That deff helps, I tend to do everything live and with clips and prefer to record out anyway to save space on these kinda things,... If a song mode comes later that's deff welcomed tho!
    I watched YouTube on the mpc nd saw a lot of frustration with the way it handles clips so I don't think I want that, plus I hate mpc groips I've had several mpcs and just cant adjust! Haha
    Thanks you man

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:
    I will do the same but with pioneer djs1000. Force has a clunky workflow for live looping ATM AFAIK.

    I think it has same looper than mpc live(if there is something different that i dont know about this may not apply) and yes its not any good for live looping while playing stuff and then adding those loops to what you are doing seamlessly and keeping on adding loops. The looper itself is great for recording guitar loops for example, easy to make new loops if you play it wrong etc kinda reminds me of the ease of use of blocks wave in some ways.

    But what you need to do for loops is either just have that one recording looping inside the looper buffer(which would work in live looping situations) or if you want to run multiple loops and trigger them instead of one just playing over again and again, you need to export the loop to a program/pad and either record launching them from the pad or going to piano roll and inserting notes there to trigger the loops.

    For my workflow mpc live looper works great, but its not a live performance looper really

  • edited June 13

    @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:
    I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

    Most iOS apps are missing two important features: Support for relative encoders and parameter feedback. Without them, the APC40 mk2 is much better suited to controlling desktop apps.

    @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:
    I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

    Most iOS apps are missing two important features: Support for relative encoders and parameter feedback. Without them, the APC40 mk2 is much better suited to controlling desktop apps.

    Yes, I was afraid of this, my best bet is to push on developers to improve it. But it's a but sad given how incredibly powerful relative encoders are - it gives you limitless number of channels and any knob can be assigned to multiple actions, e.g based on currently focused channel. I feel like this is the most underestimated features of MIDI controllers...

    @nondes said:
    Pretty sure Akai APC40 doesn't work with iOS, but curious if it works out. I don't think the CC values are programmable / editable.

    It should work with iOS, it's class complaint. You can't reassign CCs, but you can map them in app that supports MIDI mapping. The biggest issue I see is the support for relative encoders mentioned above. Not sure if it would mean that knobs will be unusable at all, or just the values won't be reflected on the LED circles around knobs, if changed from inside the app.
    I am also thinking about trying out some "hacking" via Mosaic, maybe it could help to overcome some issues. Anyway, I wanted to give it a try, if I could find a way how to use this controller, I believe it would be huge for iOS...

  • edited June 13

    @ToMess said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:
    I will do the same but with pioneer djs1000. Force has a clunky workflow for live looping ATM AFAIK.

    I think it has same looper than mpc live(if there is something different that i dont know about this may not apply) and yes its not any good for live looping while playing stuff and then adding those loops to what you are doing seamlessly and keeping on adding loops. The looper itself is great for recording guitar loops for example, easy to make new loops if you play it wrong etc kinda reminds me of the ease of use of blocks wave in some ways.

    But what you need to do for loops is either just have that one recording looping inside the looper buffer(which would work in live looping situations) or if you want to run multiple loops and trigger them instead of one just playing over again and again, you need to export the loop to a program/pad and either record launching them from the pad or going to piano roll and inserting notes there to trigger the loops.

    For my workflow mpc live looper works great, but its not a live performance looper really

    Thanks for the detailed explanation. <3

    I remember looking at youtube videos and thinking mmm that's clunky vs how djs1000 manage it.

    It's like pioneer seems an improved workflow from Traktor loop recorder into its remix decks. Also seems something between launchpad and looper. More basic against Mpclive in some many fronts but more focused in remixing as tool like a child between Sp555 and SU700... or what Roland should had been released...

  • @skrat said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:
    I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

    Most iOS apps are missing two important features: Support for relative encoders and parameter feedback. Without them, the APC40 mk2 is much better suited to controlling desktop apps.

    @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:
    I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

    Most iOS apps are missing two important features: Support for relative encoders and parameter feedback. Without them, the APC40 mk2 is much better suited to controlling desktop apps.

    Yes, I was afraid of this, my best bet is to push on developers to improve it. But it's a but sad given how incredibly powerful relative encoders are - it gives you limitless number of channels and any knob can be assigned to multiple actions, e.g based on currently focused channel. I feel like this is the most underestimated features of MIDI controllers...

    @nondes said:
    Pretty sure Akai APC40 doesn't work with iOS, but curious if it works out. I don't think the CC values are programmable / editable.

    It should work with iOS, it's class complaint. You can't reassign CCs, but you can map them in app that supports MIDI mapping. The biggest issue I see is the support for relative encoders mentioned above. Not sure if it would mean that knobs will be unusable at all, or just the values won't be reflected on the LED circles around knobs, if changed from inside the app.
    I am also thinking about trying out some "hacking" via Mosaic, maybe it could help to overcome some issues. Anyway, I wanted to give it a try, if I could find a way how to use this controller, I believe it would be huge for iOS...

    Yes, you could do something like this in Streambyter, MidiFire or Mozaic, at least convert any relative CC to a different absolute CC.
    But to get parameter feedback, you would need a host that is able to send a snapshot of all knobs of the instrument/effect under control to your script, and that's another thing I haven't seen in any host, not even in the deep apeMatrix.
    I don't think we'll see something like this soon. This is 100% desktop territory, except for the few proprietary solutions like Arturia iSpark.

  • edited June 13

    ****> @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:
    I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

    Most iOS apps are missing two important features: Support for relative encoders and parameter feedback. Without them, the APC40 mk2 is much better suited to controlling desktop apps.

    @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:
    I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

    Most iOS apps are missing two important features: Support for relative encoders and parameter feedback. Without them, the APC40 mk2 is much better suited to controlling desktop apps.

    Yes, I was afraid of this, my best bet is to push on developers to improve it. But it's a but sad given how incredibly powerful relative encoders are - it gives you limitless number of channels and any knob can be assigned to multiple actions, e.g based on currently focused channel. I feel like this is the most underestimated features of MIDI controllers...

    @nondes said:
    Pretty sure Akai APC40 doesn't work with iOS, but curious if it works out. I don't think the CC values are programmable / editable.

    It should work with iOS, it's class complaint. You can't reassign CCs, but you can map them in app that supports MIDI mapping. The biggest issue I see is the support for relative encoders mentioned above. Not sure if it would mean that knobs will be unusable at all, or just the values won't be reflected on the LED circles around knobs, if changed from inside the app.
    I am also thinking about trying out some "hacking" via Mosaic, maybe it could help to overcome some issues. Anyway, I wanted to give it a try, if I could find a way how to use this controller, I believe it would be huge for iOS...

    Yes, you could do something like this in Streambyter, MidiFire or Mozaic, at least convert any relative CC to a different absolute CC.
    But to get parameter feedback, you would need a host that is able to send a snapshot of all knobs of the instrument/effect under control to your script, and that's another thing I haven't seen in any host, not even in the deep apeMatrix.
    I don't think we'll see something like this soon. This is 100% desktop territory, except for the few proprietary solutions like Arturia iSpark.

    @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:
    I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

    Most iOS apps are missing two important features: Support for relative encoders and parameter feedback. Without them, the APC40 mk2 is much better suited to controlling desktop apps.

    @rs2000 said:

    @skrat said:
    I've just ordered AKAI APC40 MKII, don't know about anyone trying it up with with iOS, although it is class compliant so it should work well with any MIDI mappable app. I would prefer iOS app made for such all-in-one controller that would work seamlessly with it. I want to have my setup modular - only iPad for traveling, connected to the controller for studio / live performance.

    Most iOS apps are missing two important features: Support for relative encoders and parameter feedback. Without them, the APC40 mk2 is much better suited to controlling desktop apps.

    Yes, I was afraid of this, my best bet is to push on developers to improve it. But it's a but sad given how incredibly powerful relative encoders are - it gives you limitless number of channels and any knob can be assigned to multiple actions, e.g based on currently focused channel. I feel like this is the most underestimated features of MIDI controllers...

    @nondes said:
    Pretty sure Akai APC40 doesn't work with iOS, but curious if it works out. I don't think the CC values are programmable / editable.

    It should work with iOS, it's class complaint. You can't reassign CCs, but you can map them in app that supports MIDI mapping. The biggest issue I see is the support for relative encoders mentioned above. Not sure if it would mean that knobs will be unusable at all, or just the values won't be reflected on the LED circles around knobs, if changed from inside the app.
    I am also thinking about trying out some "hacking" via Mosaic, maybe it could help to overcome some issues. Anyway, I wanted to give it a try, if I could find a way how to use this controller, I believe it would be huge for iOS...

    Yes, you could do something like this in Streambyter, MidiFire or Mozaic, at least convert any relative CC to a different absolute CC.
    But to get parameter feedback, you would need a host that is able to send a snapshot of all knobs of the instrument/effect under control to your script, and that's another thing I haven't seen in any host, not even in the deep apeMatrix.
    I don't think we'll see something like this soon. This is 100% desktop territory, except for the few proprietary solutions like Arturia iSpark.

    Yes, that's a pity :( I already talked to Audiobus, AUM and Xequence developers few months ago about this issue, they seem to be aware, but also it seems it's not a high priority to them.
    I wonder why more people don't ask for this. Producing on iPad is unbeatable when laying on couch, travelling on train etc... But the screen is quite small, the touch control is fine for some cases, but having stable, dedicated controls under your fingers is simply superior. You can have the best from both worlds - having a "brain and screen" = the iPad and "the body" - the MIDI controller that is mapped on your DAW/app. You can connect it to the "body" when you're in the studio, on the stage etc... But you're also free to just grab the iPad when portability is important, and still have everything you need, just not that comfortable like with the controller.
    Imagine AKAI Force or MPC X with detachable screen that can still work when detached... That's basically what we can have with iPad + all-in-one controller + audio interface + proper software. The software is currently the only missing part...

  • @skrat said:
    ...
    I wonder why more people don't ask for this. Producing on iPad is unbeatable when laying on couch, travelling on train etc...

    See, and that's exactly how I'm using it too.
    And honestly, chilling on the couch or sitting on a train chair with iPad, APC40 and USB cable is not exactly what I consider a relaxed set-up ;)
    I find most iOS synths quite usable on a touch screen - much better than using a mouse on desktop synths.
    And when I want to go further, I have to switch to Win/Mac anyway.

  • The only reason I refuse to sell my first gen APC40 is because of how well it works as a general purpose midi controller for iOS, especially in AUM !

Sign In or Register to comment.