Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 2.8 and Summer Sale available

Comments

• @LFS is the any plans to add full integration for the UR line of interfaces with Cubasis?
    (Like control over the DSP effects and iOS versions of the plug-ins that ship free for the desktop?).

While the dspMixFX app is nice it would feel a lot smoother to have those controls integrated in the Cubasis UI.

I do enjoy Cubasis but there are still some issue that bug me.
    (Like the above mentioned 'thing' where the Audio Editor doesn't seem to give a crap about the trimming/editing done to an audio clip in the arranger, so all 'trimming' has to be done twice, sure I could use 'track freeze' but still...).

Kudos to the team, I've not had any crashes so far ;)

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Welp I have all the IAP for Cubasis now, and tryna buckle down and make some tracks in it. Now that my main daw (BM3) has uncertain future I need to master Cubasis!

Uncertain future? Have I missed something?

• edited June 2019

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Y’all, why does Cubasis only let me edit one pass of recording? And copy and paste? Example: I make a micrologue riff, then add more notes on the next pass. Tinker for a while , and then I go to copy and paste the riff and it only pastes half the notes! (The second pass)

It did the same thing when I tried to copy and paste a drum loop I made with classic machines. Only pasted the hi hats! Any clues?

Select then all with the marquee tool and use Glue feature to glue all those passes together - then try copy paste

I'm new to cubasis (and ios music making) and found this strange too.
    I get that you may only want to copy/paste certain notes but surely that majority of users (especially new users trying to build their 1st song) are going to want all the notes copied? No?
    I wish there was some kind of toggle switch to stop cubasis sep> @LFS said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

I get that you may only want to copy/paste certain notes but surely that majority of users (especially new users trying to build their 1st song) are going to want all the notes copied? No?

Hi,

These are the steps...

• Tap the "Select" button
    • Tap, hold and move over the events to select them in one go
    • Tap the "Glue" button

Normally, this is a matter of seconds and should always work super quick and easy.

Please give it a try and let me know how you proceed.

Best,
    Lars

Thanks Lars. I get it now. Quite obvious really. Maybe I should have watch a few tutorials...

I loop recording, it creates a new event for each pass (all equal length and overlaid on top of previous ones and looking like it is a single one - you can drag these individual events and see they are overlaid). If you copy normally, you are only copying the top most one. You could select all and copy/paste or glue/merge them together into a single event before copy/paste.

• edited June 2019

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Welp I have all the IAP for Cubasis now, and tryna buckle down and make some tracks in it. Now that my main daw (BM3) has uncertain future I need to master Cubasis!

Welcome to the Steinberg/Yamaha Club!

• @MobileMusic said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Y’all, why does Cubasis only let me edit one pass of recording? And copy and paste? Example: I make a micrologue riff, then add more notes on the next pass. Tinker for a while , and then I go to copy and paste the riff and it only pastes half the notes! (The second pass)

It did the same thing when I tried to copy and paste a drum loop I made with classic machines. Only pasted the hi hats! Any clues?

Select then all with the marquee tool and use Glue feature to glue all those passes together - then try copy paste

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Hi,

These are the steps...

• Tap the "Glue" button

Normally, this is a matter of seconds and should always work super quick and easy.

Best,
    Lars

Thanks Lars. I get it now. Quite obvious really. Maybe I should have watch a few tutorials...

I loop recording, it creates a new event for each pass (all equal length and overlaid on top of previous ones and looking like it is a single one - you can drag these individual events and see they are overlaid). If you copy normally, you are only copying the top most one. You could select all and copy/paste or glue/merge them together into a single event before copy/paste.

Thank you. This explains it perfectly - I've just been experimenting with dragging all the individual overlays away and then stacking them back on top of each other.

Gotta say I find it fiddly to swipe my finger to accurately select all the notes before gluing them, even when I stretch it vertically and horizontally.

I guess it'll be second nature soon.

Loving cubasis though. The filtering is insanely good. Unlocked all the IAPs and love controlling my external hardware synths.

• @LinearLineman said:
    [...] Lifetime (more or less) updates and support [...]

As a potential new user, is 2.8 a bad timing to enter, seeing that 3.0 is probably not far into the future, or has it been indicated that these major new versions will be free upgrades? I guess it is more a question to @LFS :)

I have kept to BM3 for a long time (don't like messing with multiple DAW workflows), but times they are a-changin' ...

• LFSLFS
    edited June 2019

@Gaia.Tree said:

Hi Gaia.Tree,

If you're new to Cubasis, maybe our available tutorials are of help?!
    Please find them listed here...

In addition, we have even more videos available at our Steinberg Mobile Apps channel.

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars

• @FPC said:

@MobileMusic said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Hi,

These are the steps...

• Tap the "Glue" button

Best,
    Lars

Thank you. This explains it perfectly - I've just been experimenting with dragging all the individual overlays away and then stacking them back on top of each other.

Gotta say I find it fiddly to swipe my finger to accurately select all the notes before gluing them, even when I stretch it vertically and horizontally.

Loving cubasis though. The filtering is insanely good. Unlocked all the IAPs and love controlling my external hardware synths.

you don’t have to select around all the notes , if you touch the ‘select’ icon up top and just do a quick tap, hold and tiny drag in the centre of the stacked parts they will all be selected and glue will merge them into one part ( you could always copy & paste to another track first if you want to keep the seperate layers for later )
    the weird thing is ,, loop recording ( midi ) doesn’t seem to exhibit the seperate layers for each pass for me anymore!!?? i’m fairly certain this was how it operated before, now i have to switch record off and on to get seperate parts layered?? I kind of liked it that way ( afaicr )
    is my memory faulty or has this behaviour changed @LFS ?

• edited June 2019

@BiancaNeve said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

@BiancaNeve you should take a look at the last thread in the Intua forum...

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Damn a Cubasis is confusing af LOL

Cubasis is the least confusing, straight forward and easy-to-use DAW there is

• @MobileMusic said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Just tap Help and read the excellent manual first

• @Samu said:
    @LFS is the any plans to add full integration for the UR line of interfaces with Cubasis?
    (Like control over the DSP effects and iOS versions of the plug-ins that ship free for the desktop?).

While the dspMixFX app is nice it would feel a lot smoother to have those controls integrated in the Cubasis UI.

Hi Samu,

So far it is not planned to drive the DSP effects via Cubasis directly, since Yamaha has released their dspMixFx app for this purpose, which can be used together with Cubasis.

Best,
    Lars

• @Rodolfo said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

@BiancaNeve you should take a look at the last thread in the Intua forum...

He's still involved with Intua, just not in BM3's development at the moment. As i was told by both Vincent and Mathieu an update will come. Now i don't want to derail this thread so anyone interested can visit the forum.

• @hansjbs What those two guys are doing is an absolute lack of respect for the user base.
    As you mention, anyone interested on the subject can visit the forum (and see by themselves what I’m saying...).

• @MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Just tap Help and read the excellent manual first

Manuals! Lol I made it through 2 yrs of BM3 without a manual! It was just the glue thing that threw me, everything else is plain as day

• @bleep ... on sale now $25! Grab it. I believe all updates will be free. Also recommend the Waves inapp and the drum machines. If this is the type of DAW you prefer you will not be sorry.

• @RockySmalls said:

@FPC said:

@MobileMusic said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Hi,

These are the steps...

• Tap the "Glue" button

Best,
    Lars

you don’t have to select around all the notes , if you touch the ‘select’ icon up top and just do a quick tap, hold and tiny drag in the centre of the stacked parts they will all be selected and glue will merge them into one part ( you could always copy & paste to another track first if you want to keep the seperate layers for later )
    the weird thing is ,, loop recording ( midi ) doesn’t seem to exhibit the seperate layers for each pass for me anymore!!?? i’m fairly certain this was how it operated before, now i have to switch record off and on to get seperate parts layered?? I kind of liked it that way ( afaicr )

Just wanted to clarify - tap Select toolbar icon, tap-hold outside the events and drag the finger (lasso) around the events you want to select. You won't miss a thing.

• @MobileMusic said:

@RockySmalls said:

@FPC said:

@MobileMusic said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Hi,

These are the steps...

• Tap the "Glue" button

Best,
    Lars

Just wanted to clarify - tap Select toolbar icon, tap-hold outside the events and drag the finger (lasso) around the events you want to select. You won't miss a thing.

indeed, but often you can’t drag a lasso from “outside” the events without selecting surrounding parts on other tracks etc.. so I checked.. tap and dragging within the event works to select layered parts that have been written on top of each other and use the glue to merge them... which is ( I think ) what the poster was wanting...
    nice update for me.. the freeze in place between locators is something I have been missing for ever..
    slight shame that the mixdown settings reset everytime you close down the app, it would be nice if it at least remembered the settings as they are for each seperate project.. or, if not, at least keep it between close downs.. @LFS ?
    also I love a CR78 drum machine so the Comp refill is a nice bonus.. notepad, audioshare and grid enhancements also welcome in my book..
    oh,, also the au automation inconsistency is a lot better,, Spacecraft automation of XY movement around the waveform now works perfect... a big big enhancement, that one..
    cheers Steinbergers, keep on keeping on..

• @robosardine said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@LFS said:
    Dear all,

We are proud to announce the immediate release of Cubasis 2.8!

Download Cubasis on the App Store

Freely available to existing customers, v2.8 adds two new drum machines plus MIDI grooves to the Classic Machines in-app purchase, perfectly complementing its collection of great sounding vintage drum machines.

Frequently requested for quite some time, full grid line support in the Arrange window and MIDI editor alongside refined Audio Share file handling and revised Track Freeze greatly supports a quicker workflow.

The new Notepad feature allows to have your lyrics or track information always with you directly within your Cubasis project and so much more.

Alongside, our Cubasis Summer Sale starts today and is available until July 3, 2019.
    Enjoy 50% off Cubasis 2 and all all in-app purchases!

Please support us, by rating Cubasis on the App Store!
    Your feedback is valuable and helps us to further develop and improve our app!

Big thanks to our great small creative team, who believe in Cubasis, and often outgrowing themselves to make our little app better and better.

Thanks
    & enjoy making music
    Lars

Looking through the updates, was wondering with the update is there a way to sync start Cubasis with other LINK apps so I can use Cubasis with and in coordination with all my other apps as they operate?

NO link support in Cubasis....
    There are different ways to sync stuff with Cubasis.....One often forgotten method is IAA sync (how long this will carry on working who knows)...If you load say Funk Drummer onto an audio track in cubasis, make sure link is turned off in Funk Drummer, it will then use IAA sync, so when you press play in Cubasis, funk drummer will start also.
    Not all apps support IAA sync, an dit will go away with IAA deprication at some point, but works well with those apps that support it...try your apps and see, just remember to turn link off in them.

So I can’t use Link in Ableton oh

I use that for hardware sync

Geez

Time to add Link

IMHO

Can you host Cubasis in Audiobus, then use audiobus for link ?

You can’t unfortunately....

Sure you can.

Not to control Cubasis’ tempo, but to control Link’s tempo from Cubasis.

Set Cubasis to send clock. Set Audiobus to receive clock sync on “Virtual Midi”. Enable Link in Audiobus. It works. I’ve tied it.

You don’t have to host Cubasis in Audiobus to do this, but it’s handy to do so.

• @RockySmalls said:

@MobileMusic said:

@RockySmalls said:

@FPC said:

@MobileMusic said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

@FPC said:

@Halftone said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Hi,

These are the steps...

• Tap the "Glue" button

Best,
    Lars

Hi all,

Actually, tapping "Select" plus a single tap on the upper MIDI event is all it takes, to multi-select overlaying MIDI events...

Steps (Merge overlaying MIDI events into a single MIDI event)

• Tap "SELECT" button in sub menu bar
    • Tap the upper MIDI event to select all overlaying MIDI events in one go
    • Tap "GLUE" button to merge all overlaying MIDI events into a single event

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars

• edited June 2019

@LFS, Glue! It’s one of those words that loses all meaning if you repeat it a few times,

• Great update! Thank you!

It would be very useful if any auv3 window could be made floating and to stay open on top while tweaking between cubasis and the auv3 window. I would save me lots of go between.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @LFS, Glue! It’s one of those words that loses all meaning if you repeat it a few times,

“ You Go Glue Girl! “. try repeating that over and over at speed! :)

• edited June 2019

@RockySmalls ...Glo Goo Glirl

• edited June 2019

@ecou said:
    Great update! Thank you!

It would be very useful if any auv3 window could be made floating and to stay open on top while tweaking between cubasis and the auv3 window. I would save me lots of go between.

AU panel can be made to remain open on the bottom (or top if they keyboard is open). Just tap the instrument icon on the left in track or the inspector on the left most to open the AU window. However, when the Mixer is open, it replaces the keyboard, AU and other panels that are in the bottom and the AU cannot be left open even on the upper half while Mixer is open.

@LFS I reported this before - please open panels in whichever section is empty without overloading existing panels. If the upper half is empty and we tap the Mixer/Keyboard/Drums icon, they should open in the upper half (but currently, Mixer/Keyboard always open in the lower half only). We could screen capture a keyboard and mixer playback animation in a single clip if it is allowed to keep them open at the same time.

• @LinearLineman said:

Frau Blücher!!!!

• @LinearLineman said:

haha. This really made me laugh for some reason.

• @Daveypoo said:

@LinearLineman said:

Frau Blücher!!!!

PUUURRIHNNONTHARIIIITTZZZZZZ!
    p.s.
    “what hump?”

• @RockySmalls said:

@Daveypoo said:

@LinearLineman said:

Frau Blücher!!!!