Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Not been here for most this year - what have I missed?

Comments

• @david_2017 said:
    Yeah we finally have a piano roll thing in AUM and ApeMatrix called ATOM

Welcome back, sir!!!

Thanks. Yep Atom looks like first to be bought to be honest.

@Jocphone said:
    StepBud is another that has a regular place at my table.

Stepbud looks an interesting little app, thanks.

@Jocphone said:
    Welcome back @Fruitbat1919 I had been thinking there was a distinct lack of Finbarr Saunders humour round here lately. Hope you are well ;)

Lol I will endeavour to not let anyone down with PG rated humour! The gutter is firmly my jovial home :)

@Carnbot said:
    Nice to have you back :)
    Lots of improvements this year and iPadOS is on it's way for an even brighter future.

Thanks. Yep ipadOS to be available for my ageing Air2 was surprising :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Hey dude ! :) How's the fishing been going ?

Bought lots of tackle and tied lots of rigs, but not been as have not had good health. Hopefully will get going again later this year :)

Well it's good to see you back here :)

Something app related that on-one else has mentioned....
    Gadget got MIDI OUT via a new gadget called Taipei...and they made iPolysix and iMS-20 into gadgets too.

I’m going to wait til I get a new iPad at the end of this year before downloading Gadget again...maybe... :p

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Bought lots of tackle and tied lots of rigs, but not been as have not had good health. Hopefully will get going again later this year :)

Gadget got MIDI OUT via a new gadget called Taipei...and they made iPolysix and iMS-20 into gadgets too.

I’m going to wait til I get a new iPad at the end of this year before downloading Gadget again...maybe... :p

Still working fine here in Air 2 ;) Just have to avoid more than one instance of Lexington (iOdyssei) as that one really pushes the CPU.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Still working fine here in Air 2 ;) Just have to avoid more than one instance of Lexington (iOdyssei) as that one really pushes the CPU.

It’s more about me trying to focus on one host to work in at the moment to keep things simple and not fill my 64gb up before I’ve made any tunes. Had major problems before with where to keep tracks as I had made so many and some were even in multiple hosts. Moving stuff around in iOS is it’s major downside imo

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

It’s more about me trying to focus on one host to work in at the moment to keep things simple and not fill my 64gb up before I’ve made any tunes. Had major problems before with where to keep tracks as I had made so many and some were even in multiple hosts. Moving stuff around in iOS is it’s major downside imo

So...back to your original question then, nothing has dramatically changed/improved on that front over the last year :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

So...back to your original question then, nothing has dramatically changed/improved on that front over the last year :D

I’ve not had an in-depth look yet, but a future new iPad and the new iPad OS might improve things somewhat....maybe

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I’ve not had an in-depth look yet, but a future new iPad and the new iPad OS might improve things somewhat....maybe

Ipad OS and ability to use pendrives and nas drives may help with storage (and not filling up the iPad), and perhaps files app will be improved to improve managing that storage.

• edited June 2019

My actual answer: I would say one of the biggest easy to miss events this year is how AB3 and AUM have grown up! Both got pretty massive updates this year. We now have MIDI control in Audiobus 3. It can even load presets by MIDI bindings. A very long-awaited dream for some of us and it works brilliantly.
    AUM’s recent updates include MIDI bindings for presets also.

AUM and AB3 both have new options to append presets with existing presets, so you can save a setup and add it on to another.
    I had a gig on keys this weekend and ran the whole set hosted by AB3 into AUM with no hiccups.

And besides these two apps... yeah tons of new stuff coming out. My favorite new app this year is 100% 4Pockets Shimmer, a new AUv3 getting a lot of use for me in ambient, dreamy soundscapes. Load Shimmer on a bus send in AUM. Plug in guitar. Heaven.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

Mozaic - hope you lot have done all the hard work already?

Not at all! :lol:
    But some peeps are delivering awesome stuff already.

I'm an underachiever, trying to juggle my free time :joy:

• Oh yes... Maybe I missed if someone already mentioned...
    Virtual ANS 3 was released. New app... AUv3 and all... Awesome stuff.
    SnuV_x is getting the same treatment

• @Hmtx said:
    My actual answer: I would say one of the biggest easy to miss events this year is how AB3 and AUM have grown up! Both got pretty massive updates this year. We now have MIDI control in Audiobus 3. It can even load presets by MIDI bindings. A very long-awaited dream for some of US and it works brilliantly.
    AUM’s recent updates include MIDI bindings for presets also.

AUM and AB3 both have new options to append presets with existing presets, so you can save a setup and add it on to another.
    I had a gig on keys this weekend and ran the whole set hosted by AB3 into AUM with no hiccups.

And besides these two apps... yeah tons of new stuff coming out. My favorite new app this year is 100% 4Pockets Shimmer, a new AUv3 getting a lot of use for me in ambient, dreamy soundscapes. Load Shimmer on a bus send in AUM. Plug in guitar. Heaven.

Yep I must not miss the old faithfuls - AUM and AB!

• @AndyPlankton said:

Gadget also got tempo changes. Which is sadly a big deal because so much of the iOSphere is missing this basic musical element.

• @senhorlampada said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@senhorlampada said:
    Oh yes... Maybe I missed if someone already mentioned...

Yep I’m way too lazy to learn any programming beyond synth programming!

A new Virtual ANS! But I never used the old one really....but AU....hmm maybe....

• @Multicellular said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Gadget also got tempo changes. Which is sadly a big deal because so much of the iOSphere is missing this basic musical element.

Yep I was so glad NanoStudio 2 has tempo changes - what would Zappa have sounded like if he had no tempo changes in his music! Lol

• edited June 2019

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yep I was so glad NanoStudio 2 has tempo changes - what would Zappa have sounded like if he had no tempo changes in his music! Lol

Ya good example of real creative use of tempo.

I don't even have dramatic ones myself. Usually just +- at most 5 bpm per song, but it is super noticeable in the 'feeling' of the song where it is missing.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@gusgranite said:
    Peace, love, regrets, drama, memories, dreams, promises, trust, the afterlife.

Just the usual.

Oh, and deprecation...

You mean all my old apps are no longer worth anything!? O the humanity :D

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Hope all's well with you Mister Bat.

Trying to be more healthy and still playing games to beat the reaper >:)

You know what they say mate, never challenge Death to a pillow fight unless you’re prepared for the reaper cushions...

• K7D by the DRC developers is the best app of the year so far. Welcome back to the party!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@senhorlampada said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@senhorlampada said:
    Oh yes... Maybe I missed if someone already mentioned...

Yep I’m way too lazy to learn any programming beyond synth programming!

A new Virtual ANS! But I never used the old one really....but AU....hmm maybe....

yeah thoroughly recommend virtual ANS 3, really interesting app and I never used the old one either.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@gusgranite said:
    Peace, love, regrets, drama, memories, dreams, promises, trust, the afterlife.

Just the usual.

Oh, and deprecation...

You mean all my old apps are no longer worth anything!? O the humanity :D

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Hope all's well with you Mister Bat.

Trying to be more healthy and still playing games to beat the reaper >:)

You know what they say mate, never challenge Death to a pillow fight unless you’re prepared for the reaper cushions...

Death is a woman, so I would be pretty hard pushed not to get my pillow out....God that sounds really wrong doesn’t it? :p

• @oat_phipps said:
    K7D by the DRC developers is the best app of the year so far. Welcome back to the party!

That’s a tough one to hold back on as the DRC guys make really authentic sounding apps IMO. Half price hmmm

• @oat_phipps said:
    K7D by the DRC developers is the best app of the year so far. Welcome back to the party!

Weird! I have this?!

• @oat_phipps said:
    K7D by the DRC developers is the best app of the year so far.

Ugh. Trying to put a lid on my app spending, but like the smell of this one. What’s made it app of the year for you?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@oat_phipps said:

That’s a tough one to hold back on as the DRC guys make really authentic sounding apps IMO. Half price hmmm

It’s just a quid off, but sounds like a proper tape delay - which I love.

Read your post in the other thread FB, good to have you back and sorry to hear what you’ve been through.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@oat_phipps said:

Read your post in the other thread FB, good to have you back and sorry to hear what you’ve been through.

Thanks Monzo, really good to be back, although I’m struggling to make any music at the moment - my heads all over the shop. Kind of reminds me of my youth when through partying and substances, my head was also all over the place lol.

I know I want it, but I’ve got to stop buying stuff as the cost seems low, but lots of £5 to £10 apps are adding up! I know you know where I’m coming from with that!

• edited June 2019

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@oat_phipps said:

Thanks Monzo, really good to be back, although I’m struggling to make any music at the moment - my heads all over the shop. Kind of reminds me of my youth when through partying and substances, my head was also all over the place lol.

I know I want it, but I’ve got to stop buying stuff as the cost seems low, but lots of £5 to £10 apps are adding up! I know you know where I’m coming from with that!

Definitely, and I bet like me you've got a few delays already! I've got RE-1, which is a similar thing, but never really got into it - this one looks a lot more immediate and fun to use though.

I can definitely recommend Factory though - that's my favourite synth now.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@oat_phipps said:

Definitely, and I bet like me you've got a few delays already! I've got RE-1, which is a similar thing, but never really got into it - this one looks a lot more immediate and fun to use though.

I can definitely recommend Factory though - that's my favourite synth now.

Looks good. Downloaded the app, but will have to wait till pay day to buy it properly. It’s definitely one I will get even though I now definitely have more synths than I can ever get proper in depth use out of (and I have more time than most while in bed recovering).

What are the things that draw you to it Factory? What to you sets it apart from the vast range us synth geeks have, apart from that new shiny feeling? Always interested in what people love about certain apps.

• @MonzoPro

I think the sound is great, but it’s the layout that does it for me. I’ve always found their apps are great, but you could always tell they were designed for computers first and squeezed onto the iPad - Factory’s design seems to fit the iPad much more comfortably imo.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    @MonzoPro

I think the sound is great, but it’s the layout that does it for me. I’ve always found their apps are great, but you could always tell they were designed for computers first and squeezed onto the iPad - Factory’s design seems to fit the iPad much more comfortably imo.

Fits better than some. I just like the flexibility - you can get a straightforward bass synth out of it, or a completely mental evolving pad, so it’s become my ‘go to’ synth - good on CPU too.

My previous favourite was Aparillo, but the workflow was a bit convoluted. I find Factory a bit more user friendly.

I have to confess I’m a Sugarbytes fanboy, so my opinions are liberally sprinkled with bias :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yeah I know how can you sum up all the great apps and happenings I must have missed lol

Where you been?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yeah I know how can you sum up all the great apps and happenings I must have missed lol

Where you been?

PRISON?