Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad OS (coming soon)

Comments

• Thanks Samu, that are really great news for me. Great, convenient and mobile - like i like it! Have a good one!!!

@Samu said:

@david_2017 said:
    Is there anyone with a recorder like a zoom H5, Tascam DR 40 or so? Can you put the recorder directly to the ipad and access the internal file system? That would be really great... Weeks ago I was thinking about a mobile workflow of sampling, fieldrecording and stuff like that with a mobile recorder and the iOS system, then came the new files app and opening of the filemangement in iOS 13.... the rest is history. Only more convenient would be if you can hook up the device directly to the ipad ;)

Don't have iOS13 installed but my Zoom H1 has the option to show up as a mass-storage device or a sound-interface.
    That selection is made when the device starts up.

It already works as a audio-interface for the iPad so I have no fears that the mass-storage mode will not work...
    (The only 'issues' is that there is no monitor on/off switch on the H1 so the input will always be heard).

• @Aud_iOS said:
    One nice use for the new files functionality - since the entire App file directory shows up on the Mac, you can quickly move files between devices.

Hmm, how much do we actually get to see in the Finder?
    (More than iFunBox which I sometimes use to 'clean up' the slack that the Photo's app leaves behind).

If the Finder also shows the 'Documents' folders from apps that do not show up in the Files.app on the iPhone/iPad I'd file a bug report regarding iOS/iPadOS implementation :)

As an example Figure's 'Documents' folder can be seen on iTunes on the computer bot not on the iPad...

Too many apps also leave 'crap' behind when doing exports and those slack files can not be deleted unless using an app such as iFunBox... (Just yesterday I was 'cleaning up' my iPad Air 2 and got back roughly 1.5GB of storage by deleting files that could not be deleted 'on device' since it was not possible to see them).

• @Samu said:
    Too many apps also leave 'crap' behind when doing exports and those slack files can not be deleted unless using an app such as iFunBox... (Just yesterday I was 'cleaning up' my iPad Air 2 and got back roughly 1.5GB of storage by deleting files that could not be deleted 'on device' since it was not possible to see them).

That’s what I hate about current situation, no idea what unnecessary stuff is saved within the app.

• @R_2 said:

That’s what I hate about current situation, no idea what unnecessary stuff is saved within the app.

Well most apps that export audio leave the exported audio file in place after export and those can stack up quite fast...
    (This way I cleaned ~0.75gb of 'slack' from various apps, non mentioned non forgotten).

This would not be a problem if we could at least see the same folders as we can see in iFunBox & iTunes in Files.app!
    But nooo, on iOS developers have to explicitly enabled 'Files.app visibility' in their apps which is total insanity...

Apples own Photo's app is know to spread around shite when editing pictures and does NOT do any housekeeping.
    (It could at least automatically delete the temp files of an image that are deleted but no, they get left on the device and iFunBox is the only app that can be used to clean up that slack).

iOS/iPadOS should have an option to 'show all' in Files.app not just a few selected apps.
    And really give the user an option to 'empty app & system caches' in the settings...

Sure, there might be some kind of 'housekeeping' in iOS that kicks in when storage has less than 100mb free.

I'll still be installing iPadOS on my iPad Air 2 when it drops...

• @Samu said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    One nice use for the new files functionality - since the entire App file directory shows up on the Mac, you can quickly move files between devices.

Hmm, how much do we actually get to see in the Finder?
    (More than iFunBox which I sometimes use to 'clean up' the slack that the Photo's app leaves behind).

If the Finder also shows the 'Documents' folders from apps that do not show up in the Files.app on the iPhone/iPad I'd file a bug report regarding iOS/iPadOS implementation :)

As an example Figure's 'Documents' folder can be seen on iTunes on the computer bot not on the iPad...

Don't have my head wrapped around the intricacies yet - But you've got 2 locations that show up in the Finder sidebar - The Device, which has a Files tab, and then the "iCloud Drive - (data scope)" location - which is /Users/USERNAME/Library/CloudStorage/iCloud Drive... In the data scope location, Apps have several ways/options for their documents. Some, like MindNode - open to their file directories. Other apps, like Factory open an iCloud sync/file drop screen.
    (Device View) (iCloud - data scope View)(MindNode - Data Scope - Files View)(Factory - Data Scope - Files View)

• @Samu said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Hmmm... Where in the process do you mean that I should press CTRL/click?

On the Renoise.app icon when you start the app (only needed the first time).
    (Ie. Control+Click on the app Icon and choose open).

If you don't have ReWire installed it will ask to install it but you can skip that step if ReWire is not needed.

Sorry, but whatever I do it refuse to install/start the renoise program...

• @david_2017 said:
    Is there anyone with a recorder like a zoom H5, Tascam DR 40 or so? Can you put the recorder directly to the ipad and access the internal file system? That would be really great... Weeks ago I was thinking about a mobile workflow of sampling, fieldrecording and stuff like that with a mobile recorder and the iOS system, then came the new files app and opening of the filemangement in iOS 13.... the rest is history. Only more convenient would be if you can hook up the device directly to the ipad ;)

I've tried it with a Roland recorder and it acts just like it does on the Mac. It asks if you want to put it in USB storage mode, and then it mounts. You can preview audio right there in the files app.

I also tried it with a Kindle, and it works perfectly. Also Octatrack.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    One nice use for the new files functionality - since the entire App file directory shows up on the Mac, you can quickly move files between devices. Especially helpful for Apps w/out cloud integration. Metagrid is an example - it doesn’t have the ability to share Presets, but I can quickly copy/paste over its entire directory between my devices. The mobile files updates are great, but if you use iOS alongside a Mac the Files+Sidecar really make the 2 an extension of one another.

The iPad mounts on the Mac? Does it have to be running Catalina?

• @ErrkaPetti said:

Sorry, but whatever I do it refuse to install/start the renoise program...

Ok, thanks anyway!

I do know Renoise uses some old carbon stuff and that is removed in macOS Catalina.
    What makes it extra sad is that parts of the Renoise team have passed away so we'll have to see what happens in the future.

It could even go that far that I will NOT install Catalina on my MacBook Air since Renoise is one of those programs I use almost daily...

• @mistercharlie said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    One nice use for the new files functionality - since the entire App file directory shows up on the Mac, you can quickly move files between devices. Especially helpful for Apps w/out cloud integration. Metagrid is an example - it doesn’t have the ability to share Presets, but I can quickly copy/paste over its entire directory between my devices. The mobile files updates are great, but if you use iOS alongside a Mac the Files+Sidecar really make the 2 an extension of one another.

The iPad mounts on the Mac? Does it have to be running Catalina?

@mistercharlie Yep, Catalina + iPadOS or iOS 13. You can see my 10.5 in Locations on the sidebar in the image above. While you can still sync through the Music app, I'm finding it much quicker from Finder.

• edited June 2019

deleted ,wrong thread !

• Few other iPadOS notes from today:

Sidecar works in conjunction with IDAM.

I've got Sidecar working on a MINI4+, 9.7 Pro, and 10.5 Pro - but the iPhoneXS generates an error message, even though it shows up as a Sidecar option.

In Display Preferences, you can also select any of your attached devices (iOS 13 or iPadOS) as an AirPlay Display.

In Audio MIDI Setup - you can label Channels now on Aggregate Devices, and Drag the order of Devices around - although the Channel Names don't get dragged along... so if you reorder devices, you might consider that... Here I've aggregated some StudioMux & IDAM from a few devices.

And thus far, StudioMux works on all the devices above, and with Catalina, woot!

And while it may have been a bug, or I could never figure it out - You can make direct connections now between your MIDI Devices in AMS.

• Thanks for the headsup! Sounding good. Really looking forward to this new update, now!

@mistercharlie said:

@david_2017 said:

I've tried it with a Roland recorder and it acts just like it does on the Mac. It asks if you want to put it in USB storage mode, and then it mounts. You can preview audio right there in the files app.

I also tried it with a Kindle, and it works perfectly. Also Octatrack.

• Just submitted a feature request:

Ability to roll back to previous installed app versions on iPadOS. There are too many times when updating an app causes things to go wrong and there's no direct way to roll-back the app version.

If you agree please do the same :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • as @EyeOhEss said, Apple will NEVER do that, because through this subscription crap they can make additional $$$
    Would be cool though.... in many occasions.

• I think that if enough people ask for it they will, eventually, give it...Worth giving them feedback.
    Professionals need this and it won't affect any subscription decisions. You should be able to "choose" to do that anyway and not get functionality broken during an update. :)

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@Carnbot said:
    I think that if enough people ask for it they will, eventually, give it...Worth giving them feedback.
    Professionals need this and it won't affect any subscription decisions. You should be able to "choose" to do that anyway and not get functionality broken during an update. :)

Hyperspektiv removed some functionality and added subscription, in the same update :( And without any warning in the update notes IIRC. Which seems like something Apple would have been thorough on and clamped down on before letting the update through the store....unless Apple were happy about the idea of netting ‘accidental subscribers’ themselves?

Who knows...but now Apple have the data for it, and if a bunch of people decided to subscribe after that update then I’m sure Apple noted the whole thing down and it’ll be among their motives for a firm ‘no’ for any kind of official/convenient rollback options in future...

I think in the end it all just depends on how much of this new hybrid laptop market they want or need. Hopefully they'll see it makes sense in the long run.

Say a project breaks after accidentally updating an app (easily done) and a deadline is tomorrow. "What was I thinking using an iPad for a professional job? Next time I'll buy a Surface where I can easily control my workflow" etc. As more people start to use ipads in these situations with deeper apps, they're going to get more negative feedback with this and will eventually need to deal with it.

Also I expect very few people are going to be fooled into subscribing for anything either. More likely they just find another solution.

They might hold back for a long time, and may never give the option "officially" but otherwise it gives people more incentive to jailbreak etc

I usually always backup apps these days in case that happens so I can reinstall, but it's a pain and one of my pet-hates about the system.

• I wonder that with this access to file system how easy it will be to install homebrew and pirated apps. In the first case it may even lead to alternative app stores.

• @greengrocer said:
    I wonder that with this access to file system how easy it will be to install homebrew and pirated apps. In the first case it may even lead to alternative app stores.

You can't install apps, and there's no command line access. It makes no difference.

• edited June 2019
  • I've given my contact at Apple another nudge about this one.

• edited June 2019
  • @Aud_iOS said:
    Few other iPadOS notes from today:

I've got Sidecar working on a MINI4+, 9.7 Pro, and 10.5 Pro - but the iPhoneXS generates an error message, even though it shows up as a Sidecar option.

What version of Mac are you using? I was reading that my 2012 Mac mini won't get sidecar, but that there might be a terminal command to force enable it. I was really looking forward to that feature too. Also, the information on which models will support it doesn't seem to be official yet.

• @dendy said:

@recccp said:

• 48 vs 44.1 switching on newer devices (still there, and according to some reports quite inconsistent, so probably here to stay for awhile)

recently i finally found reason why for some users this switching is not happening and for other users yes - it does matter what headphones you connect, if they are headphones with mic (4 rings on jack connector), latest air/mini switches from 48 to 44 .. if it is simple stereo jack (3 rings on connector), it tays at 48khz even with jack connected..

example:
    apple earpods conected - 44khz
    senhesseir HD650 connected - 48khz

So just using a splitter cable will allow any phones to wwitch to 44 ?
    Good info, thanks.

• @DMan said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    Few other iPadOS notes from today:

What version of Mac are you using? I was reading that my 2012 Mac mini won't get sidecar, but that there might be a terminal command to force enable it. I was really looking forward to that feature too. Also, the information on which models will support it doesn't seem to be official yet.

@DMan I'm using a Mid 2014 MBP for testing. Yes you can enable Sidecar on Macs running Catalina with:

defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display allowAllDevices -bool YES

You'll need to be running iPadOS as well - and SideCar should work on any device that can run iPadOS. I haven't been able to get it working with my iPhoneXS, though it does get listed as a SideCar option. Being pre-release, we'll have to see if the list of supported Mac's gets updated - but from what I gather, it's any 2016 or later Mac. Also, the SideCar menu doesn't show in System Preferences, even with changing the SideCar defaults. If I'm not mistaken (can't remember), I think after entering the cmd above, I had to Log Out of my Mac User Acct, then did a Shutdown/Turn back on to get SideCar enabled. Normal beta warnings/back your stuff up etc., apply!

• Connect to Server (works now on iPadOS)

• From Files App - tap the 3 dots to the right of Browse, above Locations - then tap Connect to Server
    • On your Mac - Go to System Preferences - Sharing - File Sharing Tab - make sure File Sharing is enabled
    • If your iPad is on same local network as your Mac (the File Server) - you can use whatever follows "Computers on your local network can access your computer at:"
    • on the iPad, type in that address, then type in the User Name/Password for your Mac - and you're good to go.
  • @Aud_iOS said:
    Connect to Server (works now on iPadOS)

• From Files App - tap the 3 dots to the right of Browse, above Locations - then tap Connect to Server
    • On your Mac - Go to System Preferences - Sharing - File Sharing Tab - make sure File Sharing is enabled
    • If your iPad is on same local network as your Mac (the File Server) - you can use whatever follows "Computers on your local network can access your computer at:"
    • on the iPad, type in that address, then type in the User Name/Password for your Mac - and you're good to go.

Could connect my Synology NAS, and can browse the shares. It would be nice if a 'open with' could be used. Example : streaming a movie. Or am I missing something?

• Could connect my Synology NAS, and can browse the shares. It would be nice if a 'open with' could be used. Example : streaming a movie. Or am I missing something?

@Pierre118 - Try long pressing the file - should be Quickview, Open in, and Share to other apps - type options (if I’m understanding your Q)