Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad OS (coming soon)

Comments

• @Samu said:
    As for external storage, I'm in loev with these ultrafit things from Sandisk.

I have one hooked to my MacBook Air for samples and full LogicPro X libraries.
    Before I upgraded to the 128GB one I had a few 64GB ones and they are now hooked to my USB Hub.
    (Ie. perfect place to put samples and stuff when iOS13 drops).

Yeah they're nice, I usually use the cheap Sandisk ones, but might get one of thos for the iPad.

• edited June 2019

Wow, it's cool that we can use USB sticks for more than just video's and photo's in 2019. But I want to access my files from the app itself, not copy everything first to internal storage. I don't believe Apple will allow this because they mainly use restriction to sell more of their stuff, like storage...

• FileBrowser Biz

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebrowser-for-business/id854618029?mt=8

Has been available for a while and it interconnects with the Files app. I’ve had full access to everything on all my computers and it works great. Yes, you need a computer, but if you have stuff stored on USB drives, perhaps you already have one. Where this new direct access will shine will be when you’re offline and carry a 1TB hard drive with you. It sure seems like the Files app on ios13 will have this built in on day one. We’ll see.

• Imagine having a USB reader with 256gb SD card loading tons of AudioLayer instruments. Dreams do come true. :love:

• edited June 2019

@nondes said:
    Imagine having a USB reader with 256gb SD card loading tons of AudioLayer instruments. Dreams do come true. :love:

Yeah, but I do wish Audiolayer could support ESX24 directly without doing the conversion thing.
    That way I could keep my entire LogicPro X instrument library on a USB stick :)

• @SlowwFloww said:
    Wow, it's cool that we can use USB sticks for more than just video's and photo's in 2019. But I want to access my files from the app itself, not copy everything first to internal storage. I don't believe Apple will allow this because they mainly use restriction to sell more of their stuff, like storage...

From what I can see from some videos, apps will have direct access to the drives. Apple apps like Pages can work directly off the drive and then third party apps should get access too :)

• @Carnbot said:

@SlowwFloww said:

From what I can see from some videos, apps will have direct access to the drives. Apple apps like Pages can work directly off the drive and then third party apps should get access too :)

That’s awesome. Hello Luma Fusion

• @Samu said:

@nondes said:
    Imagine having a USB reader with 256gb SD card loading tons of AudioLayer instruments. Dreams do come true. :love:

Yeah, but I do wish Audiolayer could support ESX24 directly without doing the conversion thing.

What conversion thing?

• @nondes said:

@Samu said:

@nondes said:

What conversion thing?

Meaning you have to 'import' the ESX files before they are usable.
    Ideally I would just point the app at the folder with all the ESX files and play away...

• Got it, yeah for sure.

• A game changer for sure.

• @AudioGus said:

@InfoCheck said:
    iPadOS with full support for attached thumb drives goes a long way towards supporting more complex professional workflows.

Hopefully support for web applications will also be part of this OS so that it will support web applications like web MIDI so that web apps like those you can use to configure Novation hardware will become available on iPads.

Woah, hadn’t thought of this. If new safari let me run Novation Components I would get a heck of a lot more use out of Circuit... dayum! Finger crossed.

Wow, I hope so too. That will really make a difference for Circuit as you could load Samples which you can’t do with MIDISynth Circuit or whatever it’s called now. It will help with all kinds of other things as well.

• Brilliant! No power needed for thumb drives, writing to an external drive, SSD support, YouTube downloading, faster....this is getting really good.

• I use a high end Sandisk on my MacBook Air and the IO speed 'feels' to all intents and purposes equal to the onboard SSD. The only problem I have with it is that it's so small I sometimes forget it's attached when transporting my Air from a to b.

Incidentally Samsung currently have a killer deal on their T5 portable SSD's. You can pick up a 500Gb model for under $100. I purchased a bunch of them so that I can swap workflows easily on desktop projects that require a lot of cache storage (as is the case with 4k AV jobs, especially anything to do with 3d).

Here's a link to the UK Amazon listing. You should be able to find stock easily in your locale too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Portable-SSD-T5-500GB/dp/B074MCM721/

• @jonmoore said:
    I use a high end Sandisk on my MacBook Air and the IO speed 'feels' to all intents and purposes equal to the onboard SSD. The only problem I have with it is that it's so small I sometimes forget it's attached when transporting my Air from a to b.

Incidentally Samsung currently have a killer deal on their T5 portable SSD's. You can pick up a 500Gb model for under $100. I purchased a bunch of them so that I can swap workflows easily on desktop projects that require a lot of cache storage (as is the case with 4k AV jobs, especially anything to do with 3d).

Here's a link to the UK Amazon listing. You should be able to find stock easily in your locale too.

Ooh that is a good deal - I normally buy those as internal drives ( I boot from them to speed up my old MacBook Pro) and stick them in a case, but that saves the hassle.

• @MonzoPro said:

@jonmoore said:
    I use a high end Sandisk on my MacBook Air and the IO speed 'feels' to all intents and purposes equal to the onboard SSD. The only problem I have with it is that it's so small I sometimes forget it's attached when transporting my Air from a to b.

Ooh that is a good deal - I normally buy those as internal drives ( I boot from them to speed up my old MacBook Pro) and stick them in a case, but that saves the hassle.

Nice option :)

I usually buy internal SSD and a housing for a good deal.
    eg this sandisk 480GB is currently £45 https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-PLUS-Sata-Inch-Internal/dp/B01F9G46Q8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=500gb+ssd&qid=1560417553&s=computers&sr=1-3
    And then use with something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2LK7WK6C52U1N&keywords=ssd+usb+3+enclosure&qid=1560417753&s=computers&sprefix=ssd+usb+3,computers,204&sr=1-10
    Some of these housing things can be badly made though, not tried the amazon one yet but hopefully they last ok.

• Has anyone with a 2018 iPad Pro seen a difference in performance using iPadOS? Just want to know if this is all over now. I know the issue was somewhat fixed but I was still seeing people reporting performance issues

• edited June 2019

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@jonmoore said:

eg this sandisk 480GB is currently £45 https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-PLUS-Sata-Inch-Internal/dp/B01F9G46Q8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=500gb+ssd&qid=1560417553&s=computers&sr=1-3
    And then use with something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2LK7WK6C52U1N&keywords=ssd+usb+3+enclosure&qid=1560417753&s=computers&sprefix=ssd+usb+3,computers,204&sr=1-10
    Some of these housing things can be badly made though, not tried the amazon one yet but hopefully they last ok.

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S/ref=pd_sbs_147_1/262-3046169-1119243?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OJ3UJ2S&pd_rd_r=7ad04f77-8dc0-11e9-b539-07b4f8dbbc7b&pd_rd_w=f42iv&pd_rd_wg=Gp2gh&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=6QVE7A724H7YB9SH5DWM&psc=1&refRID=6QVE7A724H7YB9SH5DWM

and a 500gb Evo inside:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-76E500B-EU-Solid-State/dp/B078WQT6S6/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=evo+500+ssd&qid=1560419447&s=computers&sr=1-4

I've got two of these hooked up to the Mac now - one I boot from that contains all my software, and the second one I use for file storage. Incredibly fast.

The case build quality is ok, and it's a bit hairy putting the drive in, but once done they just sit on the desk so hopefully they'll last. It's a very cheap way to extend the life of my 2012 Macbook Pro, and I'll probably plug them into an iMac when/if I get one.

The deal @jonmoore mentioned though is worth checking out, as it works out at about the same I paid for my DIY versions.

• @hansjbs said:
    Has anyone with a 2018 iPad Pro seen a difference in performance using iPadOS? Just want to know if this is all over now. I know the issue was somewhat fixed but I was still seeing people reporting performance issues

I don't have neither the device or the new OS, but from what I've read there are/were several issues... some fixed, some remain... some down to apple others down to devs.
    Would be great to hear back from the brave ones...
    The issues

• High efficiency core vs high performance core switching (this has been addressed)
    • CPU throttling (still exists, but there are workarounds)
    • 48 vs 44.1 switching on newer devices (still there, and according to some reports quite inconsistent, so probably here to stay for awhile)

There could be other things like refresh rate that could affect performance...

• @recccp said:

• 48 vs 44.1 switching on newer devices (still there, and according to some reports quite inconsistent, so probably here to stay for awhile)

recently i finally found reason why for some users this switching is not happening and for other users yes - it does matter what headphones you connect, if they are headphones with mic (4 rings on jack connector), latest air/mini switches from 48 to 44 .. if it is simple stereo jack (3 rings on connector), it tays at 48khz even with jack connected..

example:
    apple earpods conected - 44khz
    senhesseir HD650 connected - 48khz

• @dendy said:

@recccp said:

recently i finally found reason why for some users this switching is not happening and for other users yes - it does matter what headphones you connect, if they are headphones with mic (4 rings on jack connector), latest air/mini switches from 48 to 44 .. if it is simple stereo jack (3 rings on connector), it tays at 48khz even with jack connected..

example:
    apple earpods conected - 44khz
    senhesseir HD650 connected - 48khz

Great info, thanks!

• Lower Audio latency?
    Multiple user accounts?

• @MonzoPro said:

@jonmoore said:

What's filesystem on those Samsung drives? Or would the formatting need to be changed to exfat?

• edited June 2019

@nondes said:

@MonzoPro said:

@jonmoore said:

What's filesystem on those Samsung drives? Or would the formatting need to be changed to exfat?

The bootable one? Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). It’s running an old OS X so still on HFS.

• Oh, I meant the external ones that @jonmoore mentioned.

• @nondes said:
    Oh, I meant the external ones that @jonmoore mentioned.

It's exFAT but you can of course reformat it as long as your computing device is a relatively modern variant. To quote Engadget (apologies for my laziness!):

Advantages: exFAT has many of the same advantages as FAT32 in that it's a disk format that offers interoperability between Macs and PCs. It has one big advantage over FAT32: exFAT supports file sizes larger than 4 GB, so if you have a need to move huge files between Macs and PCs, this is likely the format you'll want for your flash drive.

Disadvantages: As a relatively newer file system format, exFAT isn't supported in older versions of Mac OS X (anything prior to 10.6.5) or anything older than Windows XP SP2. If you won't be dealing with older Macs or PCs, this may not be a problem. Of greater issue is that most consumer electronics (cameras, camcorders, video game systems) don't support exFAT, either. If you need to transfer files between your Mac and one of these non-PC devices, you're almost certainly going to have to format your flash drive in FAT32 instead.

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@jonmoore said:

I've got a couple of (now populated) Sandisk enclosures knocking about (you get them when you purchase Sandisk SSD kits for upgrading existing HDD's) and a couple of of SATA (I/II/III) disk caddies too. I like the Samsung portable SSDs as they're reliable and well built (up to bumps and scrapes of the urban jungle formally known as my rucksack!), as well as being performant.

My main workstation is a HP Z variant. These have built in removable HDD/SSD slots. And then we move on to my Synology, as you can probably tell, I'm a terrible horder of digital data. :)