Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad OS (coming soon)

Comments

• Most of my external drives are NTFS. Need to switch things up for this.

• exFat seems the only choice for cross platform

• edited June 2019

I’m also really looking forward to sidecar so I can use an iPad as a graphics tablet. Hopefully my 27” iMac is supported . I’ll need a new iPad but sidecar makes that much more desirable for work.

I’ve had non cintiq wacoms before and was looking at a Wacom that is £350 on its own. With No screen. That’s a long way to an iPad Air 3 and Apple Pencil.

• @klownshed said:
    I’m also really looking forward to sidecar so I can use an iPad as a graphics tablet. Hopefully my 27” iMac is supported . I’ll need a new iPad but sidecar makes that much more desirable for work.

I’ve had non cintiq wacoms before and was looking at a Wacom that is £350 on its own. With No screen. That’s a long way to an iPad Air 3 and Apple Pencil.

This sidecar thing seems like it could be a massive feature for Mac artists. We will get the quality of an iPad screen as drawing surface for any Mac app... mind-blowing.

I’m thinking a used gen 1 Pro 9.7 is probably the cheapest entry point.

• A more in-depth look at iPadOS file management from a iOS video creator...

• What kind of adapter do you need to hook up a storage drive?

• @LinearLineman said:
    What kind of adapter do you need to hook up a storage drive?

A regular powered (to provide the external drives with juice) USB-Hub will do and then use the CCK to connect to it.
    So the CCK3 with the Lightning and USB Port will work just fine.

• Thanks, @Samu. Forgive my ignorance, but with this you can back up Cubasis projects and mixes, correct?

• So looking forward to this storage support :)
    This should have been there from the beginning but Apple don't have the same control over the market like they used to. So, thanks for competiton ;)

That "Files unavailable" bug I assume has been fixed too?

• @Carnbot said:
    So looking forward to this storage support :)
    This should have been there from the beginning but Apple don't have the same control over the market like they used to. So, thanks for competiton ;)

As far as I understand if was a security decision, to not allow USB drivers kernel access (which is how they normally have worked). They now have a system to prevent USB devices accessing critical system parts across all their platforms which is why it has not been released earlier. (listen to The Talk Show Live from WWDC podcast for more info).

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @Samu. Forgive my ignorance, but with this you can back up Cubasis projects and mixes, correct?

Yepp, should be doable with Drag'n'Drop in the Files.app...

• @Peter321 said:

@Carnbot said:
    So looking forward to this storage support :)

As far as I understand if was a security decision, to not allow USB drivers kernel access (which is how they normally have worked). They now have a system to prevent USB devices accessing critical system parts across all their platforms which is why it has not been released earlier. (listen to The Talk Show Live from WWDC podcast for more info).

Yes but I'm sure they could have come up with a system before now if they wanted to, competition has naturally forced their hand :)

• @Carnbot said:

Yes but I'm sure they could have come up with a system before now if they wanted to, competition has naturally forced their hand :)

Considering it's been available in Jailbreaks since day one. iOS has just intentionally limited the access to Photos and only mounting USB devices with DCIM folders and after that auto-launching photos app for import...

Now since we'll get pretty neat usb support in iOS/iPadOS it will be interesting to see how the devices present them selves when hooked to a computer. On macOS syncing will be done in the Finder so remains to be seen how much we see there? (Maybe iFunBox built-in into the Finder?)

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

Considering it's been available in Jailbreaks since day one. iOS has just intentionally limited the access to Photos and only mounting USB devices with DCIM folders and after that auto-launching photos app for import...

Now since we'll get pretty neat usb support in iOS/iPadOS it will be interesting to see how the devices present them selves when hooked to a computer. On macOS syncing will be done in the Finder so remains to be seen how much we see there? (Maybe iFunBox built-in into the Finder?)

I'm also hoping that backing up apps is still possible since they are splitting itunes up, hopefully the downloading of the ipa file can still work etc

• edited June 2019

@Carnbot said:

I'm also hoping that backing up apps is still possible since they are splitting itunes up, hopefully the downloading of the ipa file can still work etc

Me too since it would make 'sample ripping' a lot easier ;)
    I've not been able to dig into *.ipas in a long time since I can no longer download apps with iTunes...

Once more people install macOS10.15 betas we'll start to see videos about the iOS/iPadOS integration.

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

Me too since it would make 'sample ripping' a lot easier ;)
    I've not been able to dig into *.ipas in a long time since I can no longer download apps with iTunes...

Once more people install macOS10.15 betas we'll start to see videos about the iOS/iPadOS integration.

Can you not install older itunes versions on a Mac?

• @Carnbot said:

Can you not install older itunes versions on a Mac?

I can't get the older iTunes versions to install under macOS10.14.5.
    Previously I used to download all apps and updates to iTunes since it was an easy way to see when apps I didn't have installed on my devices got updated.

The few videos I've seen on macOS10.15 so far have just briefly show iPhone popping up in the Finder but non of them explored it any deeper.

• Anyone using a third-party CCK? Looking for something smaller and without Apple's premium price. It's ridiculous when a USB memory stick is cheaper than the connection adapter

• @yug said:
    Anyone using a third-party CCK? Looking for something smaller and without Apple's premium price. It's ridiculous when a USB memory stick is cheaper than the connection adapter

I used to own a third party one but it stopped working, so I bought the official ones since then. But the newer ipads with USB-C should mean that this should not happen in the future with third party gear at least. (hopefully)

• I noticed yesterday that the little micro SD cards (or how they are called) almost disappears In my hyper hub. So I could basically keep it in there for ever and have an additional 128GB storage upgrade (as stated for samples and stuff like that) I think this is awesome!!!

• @Samu said:

@LinearLineman said:

A regular powered (to provide the external drives with juice) USB-Hub will do and then use the CCK to connect to it.

Do you definitely need a powered hub/connector to access the drive?

I’ve got the standard connector, but not a powered one.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

@LinearLineman said:

Do you definitely need a powered hub/connector to access the drive?

I’ve got the standard connector, but not a powered one.

I think it depends on how much power the external drive needs...
    3.5" disk will definitely need it while 2.5" might be good and most flash-drives will work fine too.

Most of the time I have a powered USB hub hooked to my iPad since I have multiple devices connected.
    (Steinberg UR242, Akai LKP25, UNOSynth to name a few).

• As for external storage, I'm in loev with these ultrafit things from Sandisk.

I have one hooked to my MacBook Air for samples and full LogicPro X libraries.
    Before I upgraded to the 128GB one I had a few 64GB ones and they are now hooked to my USB Hub.
    (Ie. perfect place to put samples and stuff when iOS13 drops).

• I wonder if there will be support for Lightning flash drives.

I have a 128GB Sandisk that currently requires its own app to access files, it would be nice if the new file system supported it directly.

• @busker said:
    I wonder if there will be support for Lightning flash drives.

I have a 128GB Sandisk that currently requires its own app to access files, it would be nice if the new file system supported it directly.

Don't know that, but my 64GB iXpand Drive has a regular USB port on the other side that should work with the CCK.
    Remains to be seen how it works in the Lightning port when iOS13 drops...

• @AudioGus said:

@InfoCheck said:
    iPadOS with full support for attached thumb drives goes a long way towards supporting more complex professional workflows.

Hopefully support for web applications will also be part of this OS so that it will support web applications like web MIDI so that web apps like those you can use to configure Novation hardware will become available on iPads.

Woah, hadn’t thought of this. If new safari let me run Novation Components I would get a heck of a lot more use out of Circuit... dayum! Finger crossed.

+1

• @AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:

@InfoCheck said:
    iPadOS with full support for attached thumb drives goes a long way towards supporting more complex professional workflows.

Hopefully support for web applications will also be part of this OS so that it will support web applications like web MIDI so that web apps like those you can use to configure Novation hardware will become available on iPads.

Woah, hadn’t thought of this. If new safari let me run Novation Components I would get a heck of a lot more use out of Circuit... dayum! Finger crossed.

+1

Desktop experience would actually include web midi. Would be nice to noodle the circuit around with the iPad

• @david_2017 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:

@InfoCheck said:

+1

Desktop experience would actually include web midi. Would be nice to noodle the circuit around with the iPad

Hmmm, I wonder if the 'desktop experience' Safari in the beta? Would love to know for sure or potentially test this.

• @david_2017 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:

@InfoCheck said:

+1

Yeah it would, the MIDISynth app is ok, but components is far better.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@david_2017 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:

@InfoCheck said:

+1

Yeah it would, the MIDISynth app is ok, but components is far better.

I mean yeah it would be nice.....not yeah it would include web midi...

Thought I'd better clarify before anyone got too excited LOL :D