Audiobus: Your virtual music studio.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Your Insights?

edited June 9 in Off-topic

Being old and retired I have time to think about these things. I asked myself, if I died tomorrow what conclusions would I draw (meaning insights) about life? What would i have learned about life before I stepped off the planet, shuffled off this mortal coil, took a dirt nap, etc? I will spare you my answers, but I am curious about yours. Especially those younger than myself (which is everyone here!).

It’s something, IMO, worth thinking about when you are young as well. A bit morbid, but western society buries bringing death into our daily lives. Death is hidden, sanitized, nuanced and religicized. That is a mistake, IMO. But my question is more about life. Thinking about it while it is in full swing. So many find themselves at the end full of regret for a life not fully lived. Looking at your conclusions in mid stride can help to avoid these disappointments, I think. Best not to find yourself looking in the mirror at another Babbit if you can help yourself. Too easy to let it slip by lost in the day to day.

Why is this subject on a tech forum? Cause this is the greatest forum on the web and I am part of this community. And any conclusions by members and lurkers here would certainly have some musical insight. That’s why.

«1

Comments

  • Sorry... but "dirt nap" gave me a nice Saturday morning chuckle. Thanks :)

  • You are welcome @skiphunt . Not my brilliance, however. Borrowed brilliance.

  • @skiphunt said:
    Sorry... but "dirt nap" gave me a nice Saturday morning chuckle. Thanks :)

    A nice sanitized way of saying ‘eez fucking snuffed it’! ;)

  • edited June 8

    Words are trite at best. The closest I can get to sensing there being any kind of understandable reality to life the more crippling and silencing those moments become.

    Life feels like the ultimate simultaneous comedy and horror at different frequencies/intervals. You can be on either extreme at different times or the same time. It is both a blessed sacred warm eternal love and an awe inspiring maw of pure pointless despair and rage. I’ll never know but hope by the time I do leave/snuff/voom that I at least did my best to try and see it for what it was and hopefully not be too lonely in that experience.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Being old and retired I have time to think about these things. I asked myself, if I died tomorrow what conclusions I would have before I stepped off the planet, shuffled off this mortal coil, took a dirt nap, etc? I will spare you my answers, but I am curious about yours. Especially those younger than myself (which is everyone here!).

    It’s something, IMO, worth thinking about when you are young as well. A bit morbid, but western society buries bringing death into our daily lives. Death is hidden, sanitized, nuanced and religicized. That is a mistake, IMO. But my question is more about life. Thinking about it while it is in full swing. So many find themselves at the end full of regret for a life not fully lived. Looking at your conclusions in mid stride can help to avoid these disappointments, I think. Best not to find yourself looking in the mirror at another Babbit if you can help yourself. Too easy to let it slip by lost in the day to day.

    Why is this subject on a tech forum? Cause this is the greatest forum on the web and I am part of this community. And any conclusions by members and lurkers here would certainly have some musical insight. That’s why.

    I am gonna stay out this.

    Too young looking to be retired!

    Not having kids and always have wanted them with Father's Day near...gets me in a mood so to speak.

  • edited June 8

    @RUST( i )K said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    Being old and retired I have time to think about these things. I asked myself, if I died tomorrow what conclusions I would have before I stepped off the planet, shuffled off this mortal coil, took a dirt nap, etc? I will spare you my answers, but I am curious about yours. Especially those younger than myself (which is everyone here!).

    It’s something, IMO, worth thinking about when you are young as well. A bit morbid, but western society buries bringing death into our daily lives. Death is hidden, sanitized, nuanced and religicized. That is a mistake, IMO. But my question is more about life. Thinking about it while it is in full swing. So many find themselves at the end full of regret for a life not fully lived. Looking at your conclusions in mid stride can help to avoid these disappointments, I think. Best not to find yourself looking in the mirror at another Babbit if you can help yourself. Too easy to let it slip by lost in the day to day.

    Why is this subject on a tech forum? Cause this is the greatest forum on the web and I am part of this community. And any conclusions by members and lurkers here would certainly have some musical insight. That’s why.

    I am gonna stay out this.

    Too young looking to be retired!

    Not having kids and always have wanted them with Father's Day near...gets me in a mood so to speak.

    Well you are in it now good buddy.

    Yah, the no kids thing is weird. When I try to have a real conversation with people in the world about what this is all about (re: life / death thing) the young people seem the most interesting and open while the older breeders my age just sound like the fucking Smurfs theme. laah-laa-lah-lalalahlahlalah-lah-laaaaah...!

  • So far I’ve concluded that life is short. Has ups and downs. Try and be nice.

    Also that reality is really really weird.

  • Never be a sheep
    Be assertive
    If you are feeling low- always talk to someone
    Never criticise the person- only their behaviour if they do something wrong
    The most important thing you can give anyone is some of your time
    Don’t misuse drugs or alcohol
    Stay fit and eat healthy
    You need to fail to succeed
    Do not be overly concerned with other people’s opinions of you
    Don’t procrastinate.

    Are some of the things that I would like to have done.... try to do now, and teach my kids about doing.

  • edited June 8

    @LinearLineman said:
    So many find themselves at the end full of regret for a life not fully lived.

    Always puzzles me when people say that, as you're going to be shuffling off anyway - and you're not taking those experiences with you (as far as we know), why care what's happened or not happened in the past?

    My best years like most were probably my 20's, and the 40's and 50's have been pretty dull in comparison - Ok so I didn't go jet-skiing around Byron Bay or play in a famous band, but....on the other hand things could have been a lot, lot worse.

    When you're dead, you're gone. After-life, after-shave, don't hold with any of it.

  • edited June 8

    @MonzoPro said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    So many find themselves at the end full of regret for a life not fully lived.

    Always puzzles me when people say that, as you're going to be shuffling off anyway - and you're not taking those experiences with you (as far as we know), why care what's happened or not happened in the past?

    My best years like most were probably my 20's, and the 40's and 50's have been pretty dull in comparison - Ok so I didn't go jet-skiing around Byron Bay or play in a famous band, but....on the other hand things could have been a lot, lot worse.

    When you're dead, you're gone. After-life, after-shave, don't hold with any of it.

    Whatever is after is probably like what was before.

  • I only worry about that nobody will be able to get access to any of my devices, cloud storage or email addresses.
    If I can prevent this, I'm already fine enough :) ;)

  • edited June 8

    @tja said:
    I only worry about that nobody will be able to get access to any of my devices, cloud storage or email addresses.
    If I can prevent this, I'm already fine enough :) ;)

    Get a password manager app and store all your password there. Give the master password to somebody or write it in your will.

    I was very happy I had done this for my father a couple year before he passed.

  • @ecou said:

    @tja said:
    I only worry about that nobody will be able to get access to any of my devices, cloud storage or email addresses.
    If I can prevent this, I'm already fine enough :) ;)

    Get a password manager app and store all your password there. Give the master password to somebody or write it in your will.

    I was very happy I had done this for my father a couple year before he passed.

    This does not help much.
    You need to have the PC disks encrypted, also everything in the cloud storage.
    You should not use Apple iCloud if you have two-factor authentification enabled (as the password can get reset by the owner of your SIM card), but can use Google, as the offer a way to not being able to reset the password with the SIM.
    So, lots to consider and handle before I pass away.

  • edited June 8

    I was thinking of getting a super 5g bluetooth or some such heart monitor that upon my bleeding demise would instantly format all my devices and send out automated 'delete me' requests.

  • edited June 8

    Probably the most important matter for me would be to realize my dreams as soon as possible.
    Not every dream but the ones that I value a lot.
    A lot of things to do depend on good health so I try to do these first.
    Some dreams will always remain just a dream but at least I won't be sorry for missing out on the greatest ones when it's too late.

  • @AudioGus said:
    Words are trite at best. The closest I can get to sensing there being any kind of understandable reality to life the more crippling and silencing those moments become.

    Life feels like the ultimate simultaneous comedy and horror at different frequencies/intervals. You can be on either extreme at different times or the same time. It is both a blessed sacred warm eternal love and an awe inspiring maw of pure pointless despair and rage. I’ll never know but hope by the time I do leave/snuff/voom that I at least did my best to try and see it for what it was and hopefully not be too lonely in that experience.

    Pretty damn close to my view. Cheers!

  • I find the responses so far, quite fascinating. It’s hard to think about large type thoughts about our shared human experience. One conclusion I came to a while ago that helps a lot and helps put me in the correct place...

    At this point there are seven billion souls marching through their lives here. I am one of them. Just about all of them don’t know me, yet we are all connected... whether it is seven degrees of separation, being subject to global events like climate change, or the sharing of common human needs and emotions. Each and every one of those souls has equivalent value to me. No more and no less. Yes, some souls are greater in their effect on the world. If asked who might be saved and who should die, definitely some are treasures to be saved above others. All those greater souls serve humankind in one way or another. But when it comes to the value of a person to his or her self it is all equal. No one is greater or smaller. This both comforts and annoys me, but that’s the way it is from my eyes (well, eye, actually),

  • @LinearLineman said:
    I find the responses so far, quite fascinating. It’s hard to think about large type thoughts about our shared human experience. One conclusion I came to a while ago that helps a lot and helps put me in the correct place...

    At this point there are seven billion souls marching through their lives here. I am one of them. Just about all of them don’t know me, yet we are all connected... whether it is seven degrees of separation, being subject to global events like climate change, or the sharing of common human needs and emotions. Each and every one of those souls has equivalent value to me. No more and no less. Yes, some souls are greater in their effect on the world. If asked who might be saved and who should die, definitely some are treasures to be saved above others. All those greater souls serve humankind in one way or another. But when it comes to the value of a person to his or her self it is all equal. No one is greater or smaller. This both comforts and annoys me, but that’s the way it is from my eyes (well, eye, actually),

    "Value" means applying a rating system, and a rating system needs criteria. Every rating system can only be flawed because it can only serve the people who developed it, and humans are much too different for something like this to be generally useful.
    There are lots of de-facto standards about what is good and what is bad (see those many different religions, democracies, dictatorships, native tribes etc etc) but the closer you look, the more they become inconsistent and contradictory.

  • wimwim
    edited June 8

    I’m convinced that after death I will find that the vast majority of things I believe are absolutely true will be completely wrong, and that it will be the same for everyone else.

    So, at this point, I share what I believe to be true if I think it may help someone, then do my best not to care if they accept it or not. Likewise when people try to impress ideas on me I try my best to listen and understand, to see if it alters anything I believe, accept what does, and silently disregard the rest. I always regret it when I fail on the “silently” part.

    I enjoy pondering what it will be like when we all find out what fools we’ve been.

  • @LinearLineman said:

    At this point there are seven billion souls marching through their lives here. I am one of them. Just about all of them don’t know me, yet we are all connected...

    My personal hypothesis is that we’re all part of the same giant organism, when one of us dies it’s like a bit of skin being shed. There’s a collective consciousness and we’re all connected, but we can’t see how otherwise it’d throw the system into a panic.

    Or something.

  • edited June 8

    My conclusion is that life will be full of regrets, no matter what you do or how you end up. I’ve thought about it a lot, and I’m 44. Yes, it’s morbid, perhaps, but also ‘all too human’. I agree with LinearLineman that thinking about these things in advance of the event probably helps, by I’ve not got there yet, so who knows. I think I’m fully prepared, but, as in life, I’m probably mistaken! We’ll all find out the conclusion in good time - but there’s no harm in ruminating in it now and then.

  • If I died tomorrow there’d be, within a fairly short space of time, no actual mechanism or substrate or platform or physical layer with which to draw conclusions, perform evaluations, compare, remember, feel, think, perceive, consider or any of the other things we associate with the dynamic of our self. There’d be no regret, no caring, no memory of any of those things, no memory at all, no processing of memory, no processing of senses, nothing. The thing that allows that to happen will be dead and those things won’t happen any more. I predict the actual ramp-down of consciousness to death is probably likely to be a descent into delirium and nonsense, then before you realise, it has stopped – much like you don’t realise the moment you’ve fallen asleep. It might be quick, it might take a short time, it doesn’t really matter afterward. It might be peaceful, it might be painful, again, it doesn’t matter once you’re no longer perceiving sensory information. It might be sudden, it might not. It doesn’t matter. A painful death is immaterial, in life we don’t remember pain (we remember being in pain, but we can’t remember the actual sense that is pain) and during death it’d be likely to be the same, we might be in a lot of pain but the moment we’re dead it didn’t matter. Nothing matters. Any particular way to die is the same. It doesn’t matter. It’s the end.

    If people remember you, remember what you did, what you said, how you taught them, the art you left them, the influence you had on them, the changes you effected to culture and understanding, the mark you made, then you live on forever – immortal.

  • However, the album I’m on at the moment isn’t about death, life, before or after. It was originally going to be about time, but I’ve changed track to something a bit more essential, and in that it kind of harmonises with this question. More to be revealed as we go on, but there’s something special and magical emerging and it’s coming out of occlusion this year, which we’re nearly half way through.

    As you probably know I’m quite atheistic and lose patience with the religious somewhat from time to time, thinking it’d be a good idea if everyone would just stop that nonsense. It might surprise you all, then, if I were to say that I quite accept the idea of magic as something that exists, and can be understood, and utilised by all. There’s nothing mumbo-jumbo or mystical about it, all it is is knowledge. What makes it magical is the huge gap between knowledge and being able to apply it to the real world, the thing that gets in the way is superstition and things you don’t understand – the occult is literally what is occluded / hidden. If it weren’t hidden it would no longer be the occult and it would just be plain and simple knowledge or understanding.

    Anyway, that’s one corner of the triangle which forms the premise of what I’m writing at the moment. It’s all good. These are good times.

  • we can't know what occurs after death, and i'm dubious of those that claim to know - some certain there is more, others certain there is nothing

    so for me, Life is the focus - with a guiding principle of one eye on now! (this moment here, as i type) and one eye on forever∞ (as we are all immortal till proven otherwise, despite the statistics ;)) - keeping these 👁's in balance, keeps me in check, keeps me centred :)

    and be kind :)) we can never know what others may be going through :))

    …do…be…do…be…do…

  • Conclusion: there is only this present moment. What is a memory, but a memory of a memory of a memory? Seventy years of memories for me. All to be forgotten. It is the making of the memories that counted, once upon a time, and now that time is gone.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Conclusion: there is only this present moment. What is a memory, but a memory of a memory of a memory? Seventy years of memories for me. All to be forgotten. It is the making of the memories that counted, once upon a time, and now that time is gone.

    But you are still making new memories are you not? Just because you are no longer impressing the chicks by riding about on a Harley Davidson with a mouth full of gum and a couple of cows horns sticking out your helmet doesn’t mean you can’t make new memories 😃

  • edited June 8

    @robosardine said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    Conclusion: there is only this present moment. What is a memory, but a memory of a memory of a memory? Seventy years of memories for me. All to be forgotten. It is the making of the memories that counted, once upon a time, and now that time is gone.

    But you are still making new memories are you not? Just because you are no longer impressing the chicks by riding about on a Harley Davidson with a mouth full of gum and a couple of cows horns sticking out your helmet doesn’t mean you can’t make new memories 😃

    I remember pneumonia, shingles and my burst appendix, ahhh what glories to come? ;)

  • @robosardine, sure I am making new memories, but they are just a byproduct, and at this age I don't expect to carry them around very long.

    Btw, I have not come to the conclusion that God or an afterlife exists. I suspect something more is going on, but I definitely would prefer death to be like the anaesthesia I had before surgery Last October... gone, gone, gone. Nothing, zilch, shnee , nada, netchevo, zippo.

  • The highlight of the appendix removal was indeed the morphine. The mango coloured ‘get well’ bear was a close second.

  • Mono no aware

Sign In or Register to comment.