Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best app for growling sax

2»

Comments

• They hinted that their packs are going to be more expensive than they would be with Roli which means more than $10 for each instrument group

• Btw, the samples are already available within Roli app but those sets will never be released as AU

With that said, if you want to jam today you can

• The Roli light pad pretty much rules for drums, Glass simply doesn’t cut it. For Linnstrument stuff, Velocity keyboard is the current reigning champ… Geo shred is currently glitchy in comparison and seems bloated

• Once @SevenSystems Releases some sort of MPE keyboard, it will probably be great. His drum pads are the best but I still prefer the Roli light pad by a mile for banging out beats

@Blue_Mangoo Is doing a fantastic job with their Velocity Keyboard... And they’ve already extended their touch sensitive technology to a free drum pad layout.

Between this stuff, Bluetooth midi, recent updates to Audiobus and AUM, and modular sequencers like Atom and Octachron ( and hopefully some crazy updates to Xequence) , things are getting absolutely nuts. Quickly

• Just spent some time on the Roli support forums - lots of issues with IOS and no dashboard for IOS currently in development. So when these products lock up you have to connect to a Mac or MacBook to change settings. I’m wondering if MidiFlow and/or Audiobus would be the solution to use on both MPE and non MPE apps.

• edited June 2019

Yes, we use midi flow in some special use case scenarios.

Right out of the box, the Roli light pad works great and doesn’t need any configuration whatsoever. The MPE synth to get on iOS is Volt by Kai Aras & co

• Volt is THE major iOS MPE synth. It’s like Roli’s equator. @ka010 Numerical is leading the way right now in MPE and their keyboard series is great too.

I do not like the presets however which is a drag. And I but I have both extension packs and they are just so so… But I think that has more to do with the sound design than it does with the actual synth

• I can see that the Lightpad M would be a lot of fun with SWAM brass, strings and blues harp in a live setting. I like that it uses Bluetooth. When I owned the Voyager the X Y pad was a very useful tool, the Lightpad M is capable of so much more and takes up so little space.

• @gdh said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    FYI

Sample Tank w AU Fx

I know Sample Tank - what is AU Fx? Searched the App Store and nothing came up.

I know what you mean about getting all the articulations etc to emulate a real sax player. My cousin rec’d The Order of Canada for Music and The Arts, he is a jazz sax player, composer and arranger - worked with some of the all time greats and was the musical director for the Jackson 5 tv show back in the day among a host of other things. My father was a jazz pianist whose friends included Bill Evans, Miles etc. I literally grew up in this, my parent’s were likely in a very small minority of musicians that owned a house in the 50’s and on. I would wake up Sunday morning with Oscar Peterson, Bill etc jamming in our bsmnt until brkfst was served. They would come over after the clubs closed. I played with rock bands in clubs starting at 13 ducking under the organ keybed when the police would enter the club. It was more of a courtesy hide as they knew that I was underage, they also knew my family and that I behaved (for the most part). Spring tour schedule was always fun as by law there had to be a tutor with me - don’t remember seeing one once we left and they would have written my essays and tests as I don’t recall ever doing one. For the group of guys I am now jamming with I once again am the youngest b about 10 yrs. Anyone interested in Beatles touring and the Sgt Pepper album would love to talk with the drummer as he is a retired OPP officer who was on the Beatles protection detail when they came to Toronto. He has told us quite a few stories including how poorly treated “Sgt Pepper” was treated after the album came out with Paul wearing the OPP badge.

Sorry for going OT but I greatly appreciate everyone’s input as Going this route with iPad apps for live use is very new to me and am learning. Last week I brought a Fantom X6 to use as cntrlr for the IPad Air 3 using the included GarageBand organ, strings, blues horns and bass sounds. I would rather take a Mojo 61, Viscount Legend Solo or Hammond Sk1 as controller and organ. Then use the iPad for strings, horns, synth etc.

Once again thank-you all for your insight and advice in this it is greatly appreciated.

Audio Unit Fx apps.

If I may also suggest AUDIO LAYER from VIRSYN.

You have a solid music background.

Perhaps creating your own instrument would be the best thing you can do.

Take samples from various sax or other complimentary sounds and assemble them according to your specific needs.

Audio Layer is best for most detailed way of doing this with a Universal option.

Let me know if I can help.

Or if you want specific AU effect apps that have good quality.

DUPLICAT and MANI to me work nicely with organic sounds and instruments in a vintage but realistically distant way.

You also may look at HAZE from Klevgrnd and DDMF ENVELOPE Reverb apps is also quite nice.

• I have created patches on my Fantom X6 this way to a minor degree by picking a few patches from the X6 &/or JD990’s and Radias then adding in some analogue sizzle with the Prophet08 and Juno 60. I record these directly to the X6 then layer and save as a performance. You’ve given me an idea to call my cousin ask him to record some sax sounds. I can mix these with some of the apps listed here.

Again to all, thank-you so very much for your advice and help. You can teach an old dog new tricks so pls keep them coming.

• Samplers --even sophisticated ones like Kontakt--are not great for convincing for sax articulations if you want the sax to change tone over the course of a note or phrase in a realistic way. The way a sax breaks up as you start overblowing isn't captured by just crossfading between one or two intermediate sounds.

Sax samples can sound good if you don't need dynamic tone changes.

The SWAM instruments seem better than samplers from the examples I've heard if you stick within its sweet spot. Not sure how honking it gets.

• gdhgdh
    edited July 2019

Sent a msg to the SWAM developer on Thursday asking about an IOS app and a possibly release date. I haven’t heard back from them yet.

I was one of Toronto’s largest music stores this week. They had a Roli Block but they weren’t overly impressed with its build quality as reported by customers who had purchased them. Not being able to access the battery is a concern also.

• Never heard back re SWAM for IOS.

• M0st oft mistake employed by trying to emulate sax on keyboard..Too much pitchbend